Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

Here's a video that includes a Dr. Will  Miller clip at the end:

The part from the Nick At Nite album that I remember is "Lucy In Disguise With Diamonds."

I never voted in any of the promos with the call-in numbers (I don't think I did anyway), but I would have voted for Samantha. :)

I also remember the "Dueling Darrins" promo.

I didn't get into THE MONKEES either but my sister loved that show. She also loved GREEN ACRES. (I also don't remember if it was on Nick At Nite or just on TVLand.)

I didn't buy the RHODA DVDs  because of them being cut.

I did, however, finally find a video on YouTube that  included the original opening of the first episode of RHODA (that was cut for syndication) with Mary and Rhoda at the airport in Minneapolis as Rhoda is leaving for New York on vacation. (As we know she ends up staying there.)

I think the video was from an airing of RHODA in the United Kingdom.

Apparently they get can see the airport scene there, but we can't in North America.

(Well we can now via YouTube.)

Thanks for posting that! I'm pretty sure that Samantha ending up winning.  If there was a "Dueling Darrins" I would have definitely voted for Darrin #1. 

I've seen the original opening of Rhoda on You Tube.  It's a shame that the show can't get a decent uncut release.

The Nick at Nite albums have some great music.  

I was considering buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000029ZT?keywords=nick%20at%20nite&qid=1444710471&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

MI0001613369.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Here's a video that includes a Dr. Will  Miller clip at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8X6lrO-R6g

Okay I remember him now.  I remember the "Why We Watch" segments.  

It seems that now all the nostalgia or original versions of channels are now specialty channels like VH1 is all reality shows, but VH1 Classic shows music shows, pop up video and videos.  I think there's also a Disney Channel Classic or something that shows what the Disney Channel used to show.

There should be a Nick at Nite classic channel.  I know there's Me-TV (which I don't get), but it's lacking all the fun graphics and promos.

• Like 1

The Nick at Nite albums have some great music.  

I was considering buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000029ZT?keywords=nick%20at%20nite&qid=1444710471&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

MI0001613369.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Oh, they were actual albums that were sold.

Do you remember the "Lucy In Disguise With Diamonds" promo I mentioned that used to air on Nick At Nite?

Oh, they were actual albums that were sold.

Do you remember the "Lucy In Disguise With Diamonds" promo I mentioned that used to air on Nick At Nite?

I think so.

Remember "The Pants That Ate Fred Mertz" promo?

• Like 1

Remember "The Pants That Ate Fred Mertz" promo?

I do.

Here it is:

And here's the promo with the reference to "Lucy In Disguise With Diamonds":

• Like 1

Now that you posted the video of "Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds" I definitely remember that one now.  I was pretty sure I remembered, but now I know for sure.

My favorite part of the "The Pants that Ate Fred Mertz" promo is the part where the voice over guy says: "Fred's appetite increases, as he is now eating for both himself... and his pants!" 

Sigh.  So much fun.  I don't know why Nick at Nite decided that they needed to change formats.

• Like 1

No secret around here that Mad Men is my all time favorite show. A show that I discovered awhile back is Sherlock on PBS Masterpiece. Love this show. Benedict Cumberbatch (he's gorgeous in this show) as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. Very clever show, highly recommend this one.

Of course I Love Lucy is my all time favorite for comedies. I think 100 years from now that show will still be hilarious and the appeal will be there for all ages. Frazer is a show that I loved and have seen every episode. Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm are favorites. MTM, That Girl were faves at the time.

As far as nightime soaps go Knots Landing will always be my favorite. I've seen every episode, all 14 years LOL. Of course watched Dallas and Dynasty but neither were as fun as Knots. My kids loved Bev Hills 90210 so I watched it with them. We even took them to a Mall to see Brandon, Dylan, etc. thousands of kids and adults were there I think we got to see their feet, the crowds were so thick lol

Loved LA Law and especially St. Elsewhere, that one was my favorite.

Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, Route 66, Naked City, Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, The Defenders, The Untouchables, Adventures In Paradise, 77 Sunset Strip, Burke's Law, The Avengers were all shows I watched and loved at the time and glad some of them are in re-run, brings back a ton of memories.

Loved Burns and Allen and Jack Benny. Funny thing is I remember thinking that Abbott and Costello's show was hilarious as a kid. I get a small chuckle watching a few of the episodes now, just not hilarious the way I remember the show as a kid.Excited that The Tonight Show will be shown starting in January. I watched the original episodes when Johnny had the show in NY, unfortunately those episodes are lost. Real hoot to see the episodes that have been preserved, can't wait.

• Like 3

No secret around here that Mad Men is my all time favorite show. A show that I discovered awhile back is Sherlock on PBS Masterpiece. Love this show. Benedict Cumberbatch (he's gorgeous in this show) as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. Very clever show, highly recommend this one.

Of course I Love Lucy is my all time favorite for comedies. I think 100 years from now that show will still be hilarious and the appeal will be there for all ages. Frazer is a show that I loved and have seen every episode. Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm are favorites. MTM, That Girl were faves at the time.

As far as nightime soaps go Knots Landing will always be my favorite. I've seen every episode, all 14 years LOL. Of course watched Dallas and Dynasty but neither were as fun as Knots. My kids loved Bev Hills 90210 so I watched it with them. We even took them to a Mall to see Brandon, Dylan, etc. thousands of kids and adults were there I think we got to see their feet, the crowds were so thick lol

Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, Route 66, Naked City, Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, The Defenders, The Untouchables, Adventures In Paradise, 77 Sunset Strip, Burke's Law, The Avengers were all shows I watched and loved at the time and glad some of them are in re-run, brings back a ton of memories.

Loved Burns and Allen and Jack Benny. Funny thing is I remember thinking that Abbott and Costello's show was hilarious as a kid. I get a small chuckle watching a few of the episodes now, just not hilarious the way I remember the show as a kid.Excited that The Tonight Show will be shown starting in January. I watched the original episodes when Johnny had the show in NY, unfortunately those episodes are lost. Real hoot to see the episodes that have been preserved, can't wait.

I had a problem with Mad Men. The writers often insisted on thematic integrity for each episode. It the theme was "rejection" for instance, several of the main characters would be seen rejected in the same episode. This resulted at times in some characters being written to act in ways that were not consistent with who they were as we understood them to be up to that point. Annoying after a while.

Glad to hear you like Curb. A brilliantly funny show.                   

Now that you posted the video of "Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds" I definitely remember that one now.  I was pretty sure I remembered, but now I know for sure.

My favorite part of the "The Pants that Ate Fred Mertz" promo is the part where the voice over guy says: "Fred's appetite increases, as he is now eating for both himself... and his pants!" 

Sigh.  So much fun.  I don't know why Nick at Nite decided that they needed to change formats.

I agree.  Hulu to me is the go-to place for classic TV, but even there we are at the mercy of the programmer.  There are so many great old series that I think about from time to time.  

I was delighted they showed The Millionaire several seasons ago.  I marveled at the quaintness of the stories from the mid-1950s, not to mention the inflation that makes 1 MILLION DOLLARS seem not that much (but to me it still is!). It was still good in its way.

I keep remembering shows that now are orphaned and may never make back to viewing, like The People's Choice, Hennesey, How To Marry a Millionaire, and Harry's Girls.  

• Like 1

I enjoyed Mad Men too, except I somehow missed watching a whole bunch of the show.  I think I've only seen through season 3 or 4 and a handful of episodes of season 6.  However, by season 6, I was so out of the loop that I had no idea how some of the characters were in the predicaments they were in without having seen the prior 2 or 3 seasons.  Mad Men is on Netflix, I'll need to start over and re-watch it, so that I can get caught up.  

I've seen a few episodes of Sherlock.  I really enjoyed that show.  I didn't realize that it was a PBS Masterpiece series.  I saw Sherlock on BBC America.  I know my parents really enjoy watching the PBS Masterpiece shows.  They watched all of Downton Abbey.  They also watch Doc Martin.  I've seen a couple episodes of 'Downton' and 'Doc Martin' here and there, but not enough to be able to pay attention to the story line.  I should really watch more of the British shows, many of them are quite good.  I remember when I was younger, PBS used to show Mr. Bean and Keeping Up Appearances Friday nights (or maybe it was Sunday nights).  I loved Mr. Bean.  He was hilarious.  I also liked Keeping Up Appearances, because Hyacinth was so exasperating.   I'm not sure if it is still going on or whether that show ended.  

I completely agree with you about I Love Lucy.  Like I said a billion times before here and on other threads, it is my absolute #1 favorite show of all time.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show is a close #2.  I really liked Frasier as well.  It is on Netflix streaming right now and while I believe I watched most of the episodes when they were new, they're still fun to watch again and again.  Although, I think the show kind of lost something once Niles and Daphne were married.  I loved Frasier's agent, Bebe.  She was hilarious.  I also loved Lilith.  She was the ultimate ice queen and she was funny in a very dry way.  I really liked Seinfeld, it was another show I watched most of it when it was in its first run.  Though, I really disliked the last episode.  Maybe I wasn't amused by it, because the Seinfeld finale aired on the same day that Frank Sinatra died and I was sad, but I just felt that the last episode wasn't funny.  I loved Elaine, because she was hilarious.  However, I also liked George because he was such an idiot.  I loved the episode when George is laid off and receives a severance package which he figures will keep him financially afloat for about 3 months.  He decides to have "The Summer of George" and do whatever he wants until he runs out of money.  I haven't seen Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Wasn't it an HBO show? I have HBO now, but growing up, we only ever had HBO when we stayed in hotels or if they were having some free preview weekend.  

I love night time soaps.  I've never seen Knots Landing.  I was considering watching Dallas and Dynasty via DVDs from Netflix.  When I was growing up, I watched Melrose Place and Beverly Hills, 90210 with my parents.  They don't make night time soaps like they used to.  That's cool that you got to see the 90210 gang in person.  I always liked bad boy Dylan, even though he looked way too old to be a "teenager."  Poor Dylan, he lost his girlfriend in a fiery car explosion-- an explosion that was set by his girlfriend's father, a mob boss, who was intending to kill Dylan.  Dylan's father was killed by the mob boss a few seasons prior.  Dylan originally was using his girlfriend, to get to her mob boss father, but he ended up falling in love with her and wanted to marry her.  Her father didn't want Dylan to marry his daughter and thus organized the car explosion.  ::sigh:: such great drama.  I remember the "Will Donna and David ever sleep together?" drama for years until I think they finally did "it" when they graduated from college about 3/4 the way through the run of the show.  

I was never much for the law shows or doctor shows.  Though I did like ER.  I've never seen LA Law or St. Elsewhere.  I remember watching Ally McBeal with my parents when I was in middle school and I thought that show was pretty funny for awhile, though I remember thinking it got a little ridiculous toward the end. I watched a lot of shows with my parents.  Aside from Ally McBeal and the nighttime soaps, I also watched Murder She WroteGilmore Girls and Veronica Mars with them as well.  

I really wish Dish carried Me-TV.  I had that channel when I had Comcast and there were so many old shows on there that I had never seen or had only seen a few episodes.  I also liked Antenna TV.  That's where I discovered the one-season wonder, Gidget with a very young Sally Field.  I remember when I had Comcast, one day I stayed home sick from work and I ended up watching a Me-TV marathon of pet-themed shows.  I remember I ended up watching a marathon of I Love LucyThe Brady BunchLeave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, The Donna Reed Show, Lassie, Family Affair, and Father Knows Best.  Or, if not Father Knows Best, it might have been Make Room for Daddy.  I remember thinking it was a very interesting day of programming.  I also watched some other shows on Me-Tv like The Big Valley, Petticoat Junction, and The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Speaking of The Dick Van Dyke Show, I have to say that the kid who played Ritchie might be the worst child actor in the world.  Ugh, his character is so annoying.  

I also remember when I was little, there was a channel, it might have been USA Channel, that showed reruns of Hawaii 5-0 and I really liked that show--especially the theme song.  

Oh memories.  I really hope Dish figures out a way to carry Me-Tv, Get-Tv, and Antenna TV, so that I can watch all these great shows.  I've read that I can pick up these shows with some sort of antenna, but I'm not sure how it would work with my Dish and TV.  

One of my not-so guilty pleasures right now is watching Forensic Files.  That show is fascinating and there always seems to be a marathon! I think Forensic Files is the only show that the HLN channel has.  My complaint with HLN is that there are too many Nancy Grace and Dr. Drew commercials.

• Like 1

I agree.  Hulu to me is the go-to place for classic TV, but even there we are at the mercy of the programmer.  There are so many great old series that I think about from time to time.  

I was delighted they showed The Millionaire several seasons ago.  I marveled at the quaintness of the stories from the mid-1950s, not to mention the inflation that makes 1 MILLION DOLLARS seem not that much (but to me it still is!). It was still good in its way.

I keep remembering shows that now are orphaned and may never make back to viewing, like The People's Choice, Hennesey, How To Marry a Millionaire, and Harry's Girls.  

I don't have a Hulu account.  I do have Amazon Prime however.  I never thought to look there to see if there were any classic TV shows.  

I've never heard of the shows you mentioned (which is pretty amazing for me, I'll admit), though I'll presume that How to Marry a Millionaire is a TV show spinoff of the movie? 

I wish that Nickelodeon would launch a new channel-- Nick at Nite Classic.  With all the channels emerging now that are airing classic television, it seems that old shows are in vogue right now.  I think old movies are becoming more popular as well and that's what I think TCM is trying to appeal to with the "Let's Movie" slogan.  Anyway, Nick-at-Nite Classic could feature all these old shows complete with their retro inspired graphics for the schedules and they could bring back the old Nick at Nite jingles and shorts and features.  If they brought back the Nick at Nite of the 90s, in it's entirety, I think this channel would be really successful.  I'd watch it.  There'd be NO original programming (unless they're new shorts or things related to the Nick at Nite shows), NO reality shows, preferably NO commercials (but I am fairly certain the old Nick at Nite had commercials).  If they wanted to show commercials for revenue, I wouldn't mind them showing retro commercials for products that still exist.  That way the product would get advertising and the viewer could watch a 1970s Kraft Macaroni and Cheese commercial.  Lol.  I remember TVLand in its infancy, showed old commercials.  I remembered laughing at the gross Kraft Miracle Whip commercial where the "mom" made a sauce for her porkchops with Miracle Whip and seasonings.  

I don't have a Hulu account.  I do have Amazon Prime however.  I never thought to look there to see if there were any classic TV shows.  

I've never heard of the shows you mentioned (which is pretty amazing for me, I'll admit), though I'll presume that How to Marry a Millionaire is a TV show spinoff of the movie? 

I wish that Nickelodeon would launch a new channel-- Nick at Nite Classic.  With all the channels emerging now that are airing classic television, it seems that old shows are in vogue right now.  I think old movies are becoming more popular as well and that's what I think TCM is trying to appeal to with the "Let's Movie" slogan.  Anyway, Nick-at-Nite Classic could feature all these old shows complete with their retro inspired graphics for the schedules and they could bring back the old Nick at Nite jingles and shorts and features.  If they brought back the Nick at Nite of the 90s, in it's entirety, I think this channel would be really successful.  I'd watch it.  There'd be NO original programming (unless they're new shorts or things related to the Nick at Nite shows), NO reality shows, preferably NO commercials (but I am fairly certain the old Nick at Nite had commercials).  If they wanted to show commercials for revenue, I wouldn't mind them showing retro commercials for products that still exist.  That way the product would get advertising and the viewer could watch a 1970s Kraft Macaroni and Cheese commercial.  Lol.  I remember TVLand in its infancy, showed old commercials.  I remembered laughing at the gross Kraft Miracle Whip commercial where the "mom" made a sauce for her porkchops with Miracle Whip and seasonings.  

Yup-

How to Marry a Millionaire was a TV spinoff of the movie, with young Barbara Eden playing "Loco" 

The People's Choice - Jackie Cooper plays a young veteran named Socrates (I thought a cool name) who is serving on the City Council, is living in a trailer park (no, not a "trailer trash" type of situation at all!) with a kind aunt and his sweet basset hound, Cleo--who provided a hilarious Greek chorus to Socrates' rocky relationship with the Mayor and the romantic one with woman he's in love with - the Mayor's daughter.

Hennesey, (with Jackie Copper - coincidence - nothing to do with the previous series) playing a physician working on base at the huge San Diego Navel Base.  He falls for his nurse, Abby Dalton. 

Harry's Girls - Larry Blyden stars as the Gene Kelly type character of this spinoff of "Les Girls" - the girls were very pretty, and the show didn't even last a season, but it was shot on the Riviera, and a nice break from the family sitcoms.  Sad to say, it was cancelled by January, Its time slot on NBC was replaced with That Was the Week That Was - a show that would be similar John Olivier's  Last Week Tonight on HBO.

and Hey, a little Miracle Whip is awesome in a cream sauce ;)

Yup-

How to Marry a Millionaire was a TV spinoff of the movie, with young Barbara Eden playing "Loco" 

The People's Choice - Jackie Cooper plays a young veteran named Socrates (I thought a cool name) who is serving on the City Council, is living in a trailer park (no, not a "trailer trash" type of situation at all!) with a kind aunt and his sweet basset hound, Cleo--who provided a hilarious Greek chorus to Socrates' rocky relationship with the Mayor and the romantic one with woman he's in love with - the Mayor's daughter.

Hennesey, (with Jackie Copper - coincidence - nothing to do with the previous series) playing a physician working on base at the huge San Diego Navel Base.  He falls for his nurse, Abby Dalton. 

Harry's Girls - Larry Blyden stars as the Gene Kelly type character of this spinoff of "Les Girls" - the girls were very pretty, and the show didn't even last a season, but it was shot on the Riviera, and a nice break from the family sitcoms.  Sad to say, it was cancelled by January, Its time slot on NBC was replaced with That Was the Week That Was - a show that would be similar John Olivier's  Last Week Tonight on HBO.

and Hey, a little Miracle Whip is awesome in a cream sauce ;)

Interesting.  I could see Barbara Eden in How to Marry a Millionaire.  Harry's Girls sounds like it was good.  I hate when shows I like are replaced with things like the news or boring talk like that.  The local rock station in Portland switched formats and became a talk radio station.  Ugh.  

I do like Last Week Tonight though, it's funny.  

I've never been a fan of Miracle Whip, I don't like the sweet taste.  I'm sure a little might be good mixed into something, maybe. 

Antenna TV is airing a 13 hour marathon of BEWITCHED episodes for Halloween.

I think it starts on October 30.

I'm pretty sure the episodes will be cut (just as they were on Nick At Nite to allow for more commercials), but I might check out some of the marathon to see if Antenna TV airs any cool promos like Nick At Nite used to.

I happened to catch a bit of an episode from the first season that was airing on Antenna TV late last night  (early morning).

It was the episode called "A Is For Aardvark" where Darrin ends up in bed recovering from a sprained ankle. He drives Samantha crazy with his constant demands to bring things to him upstairs (he even has a bell that he rings) so she gives him powers. He soon becomes addicted to the instant gratification that the powers bring.

There's a scene near the end where Samantha is so touched by the simple mortal presents that Darrin gives her for their six-month anniversary that there are large tears rolling off Elizabeth Montgomery's face in one side shot.

I never could figure out the significance of "A Is For Aadvark" as the title of this episode. 

Holden I watched that episode of Bewitched last night also  :)

Casa. Thanks for the descriptions of those fun shows that I remember watching  :) It's such a same these shows can't be shown. Not a fan of Miracle Whip, too sweet, although the only time it tasted good was in a recipe I use to prepare for a spinach dip. Hellman's Mayo only stuff I use for everything else. Although I do know some excellent cooks who swear by the Miracle Whip stuff!  :)

Here is a review of the very first I Love Lucy from the New York Times. The review was okay, at first ... you'd better read it yourself.

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1951/10/21/94087919.html?pageNumber=NaN&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_c=

Lol.  The New York Times just didn't understand the show it seemed. That's the fun of I Love Lucy.  Typically the episodes follow this format: ACT 1, the show logically establishes the situation(e.g. Lucy and Ethel are obsessed with finding a $100 bonus buck and keep going back and forth between the market exchanging $5 bills for dollar bills).  ACT 2, the show sets up the conflict (e.g. Ricky finds a $100 bonus buck and Lucy accidentally sends it to the lottery).  ACT 3, Lucy, being Lucy, ends up in some wild scheme, despite the logical build up to the situation.  (e.g. Lucy and Ricky sneak into the laundry to recIaim the the bonus buck and Lucy ends up on a conveyor belt headed to a starch vat).  m sure they changed their tune once the show became popular.  There always seems to be those bandwagon fans you know.  Lol. 

• Like 1

Lol.  The New York Times just didn't understand the show it seemed. That's the fun of I Love Lucy.  Typically the episodes follow this format: ACT 1, the show logically establishes the situation(e.g. Lucy and Ethel are obsessed with finding a $100 bonus buck and keep going back and forth between the market exchanging $5 bills for dollar bills).  ACT 2, the show sets up the conflict (e.g. Ricky finds a $100 bonus buck and Lucy accidentally sends it to the lottery).  ACT 3, Lucy, being Lucy, ends up in some wild scheme, despite the logical build up to the situation.  (e.g. Lucy and Ricky sneak into the laundry to recIaim the the bonus buck and Lucy ends up on a conveyor belt headed to a starch vat).  m sure they changed their tune once the show became popular.  There always seems to be those bandwagon fans you know.  Lol. 

I don't know, I think they sort of got it but didn't know it. They thought the characters had possibilities (they were sure right about that) but were a little taken aback by Act III. I Love Lucy later proved to be way ahead of its time and we must remember too that by 1951 there wasn't much to go on. And what they had seen up to that time were pedestrian in comparison to the innovations of Lucy. There was Life With Father with Stu Erwin, which I don't remember but I'm sure it was quite tame. And My Friend Irma had a little pizzazz but had little of the wacko quality of the Lucy shows. So it is natural they the reviewer might have a bit abashed by this new but weird show. Yes, they may have said this or that but reading between the lines all these years later suggests (to me) they knew something.

• Like 2

I LOVE LUCY is understood to be silly and I love that one. 

Lately, I have been binge-watching Father Knows Best.  I had no idea the show ran for 6 seasons and 32 episodes a season!  I have more watching ahead of me.  The acting is really very good, from Jim and Margaret to the kids.  What surprises me is the relevance of the topics they tackled in their episode, little things within the family that have far-reaching social implications in how we interact with the world.  They got into patience, judgement, respect for those who are different, empathy, appreciation of different cultures and speaking up for injustice.  I can see why it would be mocked, but it did a far better job of messaging than family sitcoms in later decades which morphed into wise-cracking smug remarks contests. 

• Like 2

Lately, I have been binge-watching Father Knows Best.  I had no idea the show ran for 6 seasons and 32 episodes a season!  I have more watching ahead of me.  The acting is really very good, from Jim and Margaret to the kids.  What surprises me is the relevance of the topics they tackled in their episode, little things within the family that have far-reaching social implications in how we interact with the world.  They got into patience, judgement, respect for those who are different, empathy, appreciation of different cultures and speaking up for injustice.  I can see why it would be mocked, but it did a far better job of messaging than family sitcoms in later decades which morphed into wise-cracking smug remarks contests. 

About a year ago I had the TV on one weekend morning when I was doing somes chores (taking care of some things I had put off doing for way too long). The channel I ended up on (I don't remember which one) was airing a marathon of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER episodes. I've never been a huge fan of the show, but as I was doing my chores I was listening to the dialogue and was amazed at how real it sounded. At times I was pulled in and actually ended up watching. I never got the impression that the actors were "playing for laughs" and the writers also wrote dialogue that sounded like actual conversations and that was appropriate for the different characters.

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER has also been mocked as being "corny," but I discovered for myself that day that much of this mockery was not deserved.  

• Like 2

About a year ago I had the TV on one weekend morning when I was doing somes chores (taking care of some things I had put off doing for way too long). The channel I ended up on (I don't remember which one) was airing a marathon of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER episodes., I've never been a huge fan of the show, but as I was doing my chores I was listening to the dialogue and was amazed at how real it sounded. At times I was pulled in and actually ended up watching. I never got the impression that the actors were "playing for laughs" and the writers also wrote dialogue that sounded like actual conversations and that was appropriate for the different characters.

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER has also been mocked as being "corny," but I discovered for myself that day that much of this mockery was not deserved.  

While I would never list Leave it to Beaver among my Top 10 (or even Top 20) favorite shows, it did have its moments.  I will admit that I've probably seen more than my fair share of episodes.  While I don't believe it was ever on Nick at Nite (I think it may have ended up on TVLand at some point) but I remember it aired on I think the Hallmark Channel at some point and My Three Sons came on right afterward.  

I did like the dialogue in the show and I liked some of the situations that Wally and Beaver would get themselves into.  I also remember laughing every time Wally spoke in the early seasons, because his voice was cracking.  I also remember thinking how weird his hair looked in the first season, because he'd have big chunks of lighter colored hair underneath his darker hair--as if the makeup/hair people forgot to dye Tony Dow's hair that week.  

I thought Wally was cute but he might be a little too "golly gee" for me if he were a real person whom I could date.  Eddie Haskell was obnoxious but hilarious.  I always liked the Eddie Haskell episodes.  Beaver I liked better in the earlier episodes.  He's downright awkward in the later seasons and I don't find him as funny.  I always thought Beaver's friends were annoying, especially Larry.  I liked Whitey though, because he always got Beaver into the most ridiculous situations.  Remember when he convinced Beaver to climb up the billboard into the "soup" cup to see if there was real soup in there?

One of my favorite episodes is this one where Wally adopts a "modern" hairstyle and ends up styling his hair into the "jelly roll" style.  It's so ridiculous and June hates it so much.  It's hilarious, because every time Wally and his hair are on screen, this crazy saxophone jazz music starts playing.  June asks Ward to ask Wally to change his hairstyle.  Ward doesn't want to directly tell Wally what to do, so he keeps trying to hint to Wally that he shouldn't follow fads and yada yada.  Ward's subtlety is lost on Wally.  June even goes to the principal (!) to see if he can ban the hairstyle.  Wally eventually relents and goes back to combing the hair the way he used to.  

I always thought it was strange that June constantly deferred everything to Ward.  I realize that the show was in the 50s-early 60s, but Ward was always the one who had to talk to Wally and Beaver.  Ward was always the one who had to try to convince the boys that what they were doing was wrong.  Why didn't June just talk to them? She's their mother! Lol. 

I also like the episode where one of the girls that Wally likes mentions that he has a "cute pug nose."  Self conscious Wally, not thinking that "pug nose" is complementary, sends away for some contraption that will change the shape of his nose into a "Roman nose."  Ward then has to have a heart-to-heart talk with Wally about his self-image and shares a personal anecdote about how when he was younger, he thought he had big elephant ears and ordered an "ear flattener" to make his ears not stick out as far.  Beaver, being ever so helpful, asks Ward why his ear flatteners didn't work.  Lol. 

• Like 2

I always thought Beaver's friends were annoying, especially Larry.  I liked Whitey though, because he always got Beaver into the most ridiculous situations.  Remember when he convinced Beaver to climb up the billboard into the "soup" cup to see if there was real soup in there?

That episode is so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuxnaHiiiqM

One of my favorite episodes is this one where Wally adopts a "modern" hairstyle and ends up styling his hair into the "jelly roll" style.  It's so ridiculous and June hates it so much.  It's hilarious, because every time Wally and his hair are on screen, this crazy saxophone jazz music starts playing.  June asks Ward to ask Wally to change his hairstyle.  Ward doesn't want to directly tell Wally what to do, so he keeps trying to hint to Wally that he shouldn't follow fads and yada yada.  Ward's subtlety is lost on Wally.  June even goes to the principal (!) to see if he can ban the hairstyle.  Wally eventually relents and goes back to combing the hair the way he used to.

That one is also a great episode!

• Like 2

I just got Hulu a couple months ago and I was so excited to find out that many of my favorite Nick at Nite shows are on Hulu.  Granted, it doesn't seem that all episodes are included, but there is a good selection.  I also already own the entire series of many of my favorite 90s Nick at Nite shows: I Love Lucy, The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour, The Lucy Show, The Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeannie, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, 6/8 seasons of Bewitched... then I know that The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Munsters are available on Netflix.

Now, thanks to Hulu, in addition to I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, The Brady Bunch and The Mary Tyler Moore Show (which I own, but they're also on Hulu which saves me a trip downstairs to get the DVDs), I can also watch Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, That Girl, Rhoda, The Bob Newhart Show, Green Acres, Mister Ed and The Dick Van Dyke Show.  

I've been watching some of the old 90s Nick at Nite promos interspersed with episodes of the aforementioned shows and supplemented with my DVDs and I've been able to create a kind of makeshift Nick at Nite.

It's not exactly the same though.  I wish Nickelodeon would bring back the 90s version of Nick at Nite--even if they have to create a separate satellite/cable channel for it.  I'd watch it.  If Me-Tv, Antenna TV and other channels of that ilk can survive and thrive even, there's definitely room for the original, best version--Nick at Nite of the 90s complete with the jingles, retro-inspired graphics and all the funny little promos. 

tumblr_lkuax0a7111qbald1o1_500.png

• Like 1

I just got Hulu a couple months ago and I was so excited to find out that many of my favorite Nick at Nite shows are on Hulu.  Granted, it doesn't seem that all episodes are included, but there is a good selection.  I also already own the entire series of many of my favorite 90s Nick at Nite shows: I Love Lucy, The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour, The Lucy Show, The Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeannie, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, 6/8 seasons of Bewitched... then I know that The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Munsters are available on Netflix.

Now, thanks to Hulu, in addition to I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, The Brady Bunch and The Mary Tyler Moore Show (which I own, but they're also on Hulu which saves me a trip downstairs to get the DVDs), I can also watch Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, That Girl, Rhoda, The Bob Newhart Show, Green Acres, Mister Ed and The Dick Van Dyke Show.  

I've been watching some of the old 90s Nick at Nite promos interspersed with episodes of the aforementioned shows and supplemented with my DVDs and I've been able to create a kind of makeshift Nick at Nite.

It's not exactly the same though.  I wish Nickelodeon would bring back the 90s version of Nick at Nite--even if they have to create a separate satellite/cable channel for it.  I'd watch it.  If Me-Tv, Antenna TV and other channels of that ilk can survive and thrive even, there's definitely room for the original, best version--Nick at Nite of the 90s complete with the jingles, retro-inspired graphics and all the funny little promos. 

Nick At Nite in its 1990s prime was definitely best. The promos and introductory banners with episode titles were so wonderful.

Does Hulu show the uncut versions of RHODA?

The Season One DVD release from Shout contained syndicated (cut) episodes so I did not buy it.

As much as I love Rhoda Morgenstern, I want complete episodes when I buy a DVD set.

I've been introducing my honey to BEWITCHED. I have all 8 seasons on DVD and now we're up to the Third Season. 

We just watched the "Ho Ho The Clown" episode, which includes the moment where Endora's photograph sticks her tongue out at Durwood, I mean Darrin. 

Endora-bewitched-5488665-691-901.jpg

Nick At Nite in its 1990s prime was definitely best. The promos and introductory banners with episode titles were so wonderful.

Does Hulu show the uncut versions of RHODA?

The Season One DVD release from Shout contained syndicated (cut) episodes so I did not buy it.

As much as I love Rhoda Morgenstern, I want complete episodes when I buy a DVD set.

I've been introducing my honey to BEWITCHED. I have all 8 seasons on DVD and now we're up to the Third Season.

We just watched the "Ho Ho The Clown" episode, which includes the moment where Endora's photograph sticks her tongue out at Durwood, I mean Darrin.

Endora-bewitched-5488665-691-901.jpg

I'm not sure if Hulu is showing the uncut version. I don't think I've watched Rhoda yet. Unlike Netflix, which I believe pretty much just streams the DVDs, Hulu's content is provided by the studios themselves. I would think that the Rhoda would be uncut, but I dunno. I haven't seen the show enough to know what scenes are missing.

I agree though, that if you're going to sell the show on DVD, they better be selling the original episodes--not the cut for syndication versions.