Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if Hulu is showing the uncut version. I don't think I've watched Rhoda yet. Unlike Netflix, which I believe pretty much just streams the DVDs, Hulu's content is provided by the studios themselves. I would think that the Rhoda would be uncut, but I dunno. I haven't seen the show enough to know what scenes are missing.

I agree though, that if you're going to sell the show on DVD, they better be selling the original episodes--not the cut for syndication versions.

The most significant RHODA cut for me is the opening scene from the first episode of the first season. I never saw the show during its original broadcast run since it aired before I was born, but I could tell that the episode had been cut when I saw it for the first time on Nick At Nite. During the closing credits of the cut version, you can see a bit of the cut scene.

The scene I'm talking about is the one where Mary is with Rhoda at the Minneapolis airport as Rhoda is leaving for her visit to New York. This scene was cut from the syndicated airing on Nick At Nite and also from the Shout DVD release.

I did eventually find this opening airport scene online from a version that aired in syndication in the United Kingdom.

• Like 1

The most significant RHODA cut for me is the opening scene from the first episode of the first season. I never saw the show during its original broadcast run since it aired before I was born, but I could tell that the episode had been cut when I saw it for the first time on Nick At Nite. During the closing credits of the cut version, you can see a bit of the cut scene.

The scene I'm talking about is the one where Mary is with Rhoda at the Minneapolis airport as Rhoda is leaving for her visit to New York. This scene was cut from the syndicated airing on Nick At Nite and also from the Shout DVD release.

I did eventually find this opening airport scene online from a version that aired in syndication in the United Kingdom.

Ooh.  I've seen the scene of Mary saying goodbye to Rhoda in the first episode.  I watched it on You Tube.  Too bad Rhoda couldn't get a decent release like it's parent show-- The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  I remember when I first got I Love Lucy on DVD.  I hadn't realized that the episodes I'd been watching for years at that point were edited.  When I finally watched the uncut episodes on DVD, it was amazing because there were all these extra scenes and jokes that I had never seen before.  Now, I've seen the DVDs so many times, that if I see an edited version of I Love Lucy, then it's unbearable and I can't watch it.  I've been spoiled by the DVDs.

I really miss the fun graphics and jingles from Nick at Nite.  They were so corny, but so much fun! 

I remember when I first got I Love Lucy on DVD.  I hadn't realized that the episodes I'd been watching for years at that point were edited.  When I finally watched the uncut episodes on DVD, it was amazing because there were all these extra scenes and jokes that I had never seen before.  Now, I've seen the DVDs so many times, that if I see an edited version of I Love Lucy, then it's unbearable and I can't watch it.  I've been spoiled by the DVDs.

Yes, I had the same discovery when I saw the DVDS of BEWITCHED and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW about the edited versions that were shown on Nick At Nite and other syndicated airings . Sometimes it's a moment or two here and there or bits of dialogue cut ---- all to allow more time for commercials. 

There's a bit of the pie throwing scene cut from the syndicated airing of the BEWITCHED episode "Double Double Toil And Trouble" : the part where Darrin chases Samantha, who he thinks is Serena, around the table.

Also (GASP!) bits of Phyllis's dialogue were cut from "The Lars Affair" episode of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

• Like 1

Yes, I had the same discovery when I saw the DVDS of BEWITCHED and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW about the edited versions that were shown on Nick At Nite and other syndicated airings . Sometimes it's a moment or two here and there or bits of dialogue cut ---- all to allow more time for commercials. 

There's a bit of the pie throwing scene cut from the syndicated airing of the BEWITCHED episode "Double Double Toil And Trouble" : the part where Darrin chases Samantha, who he thinks is Serena, around the table.

Also (GASP!) bits of Phyllis's dialogue were cut from "The Lars Affair" episode of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

Oh man! All of Phyllis' dialogue in that episode is gold. "These hands, hands that once touched the notes of Chopin... This is what that woman has driven me to to save my marriage... Cooking a damn pie!"

There are lots of little jokes missing from episodes of I Love Lucy and little scenes missing. A lot of times it was just little scenes that didn't affect the plot too much, but in some cases, questions I always had about the episode were cleared up when I saw the DVD.

I don't get Nick at Nite, but I get a similar type of channel called MeTV  and some of their commercial  cuts are weird.

I have original Star Trek: TOS episodes as well as Season 2 of I Love Lucy, and various other TV shows.  It is quite odd to see the cuts made compared to what is actually in the whole episode.

I don't get Nick at Nite, but I get a similar type of channel called MeTV and some of their commercial cuts are weird.

I have original Star Trek: TOS episodes as well as Season 2 of I Love Lucy, and various other TV shows. It is quite odd to see the cuts made compared to what is actually in the whole episode.

Nick at Nite I think is on Nickelodeon, but it is a pathetic shell of its former self and does not resemble the old Nick at Nite in the slightest. The 90s were the glory days for this channel. It used to air on Nickelodeon from 8pm to 6am. On Saturdays, it started later at 10pm. Holden and I like to reminiscence about "our shows" on this channel as we both used to be Nick at Nite fanatics.

I used to have ME-TV, but when I switched to satellite, I lost the channel. TVLand used to be a great channel too, but it too is a former shell of itself.

I don't really have any classic TV channels anymore. I rely now on Hulu and DVDs to get my fix.

Nick at Nite I think is on Nickelodeon, but it is a pathetic shell of its former self and does not resemble the old Nick at Nite in the slightest. The 90s were the glory days for this channel. It used to air on Nickelodeon from 8pm to 6am. On Saturdays, it started later at 10pm. Holden and I like to reminiscence about "our shows" on this channel as we both used to be Nick at Nite fanatics.

I used to have ME-TV, but when I switched to satellite, I lost the channel. TVLand used to be a great channel too, but it too is a former shell of itself.

I don't really have any classic TV channels anymore. I rely now on Hulu and DVDs to get my fix.

Me-TV airs on a channel out of Washington State for me.  It was not  always Me-TV.  It used to an ordinary TV channel.

I have a new DVD player that can be hooked up sometime by someone who knows what to do.  I think the teenager in my building does.  But I have to make sure I keep my VHS plugged in  or there are several films that I own that I will never see again. My old one has the colour bleeding and that drives me crazy.

I live at the front of my building and we are not allowed to have satellite at the front because the front balconies have to all look the same (!?).  So I had to wait until Optic TV became available in my area to switch from Shaw which kept going out at the slightest weather disturbance.

Me-TV airs on a channel out of Washington State for me.  It was not  always Me-TV.  It used to an ordinary TV channel.

I have a new DVD player that can be hooked up sometime by someone who knows what to do.  I think the teenager in my building does.  But I have to make sure I keep my VHS plugged in  or there are several films that I own that I will never see again. My old one has the colour bleeding and that drives me crazy.

I live at the front of my building and we are not allowed to have satellite at the front because the front balconies have to all look the same (!?).  So I had to wait until Optic TV became available in my area to switch from Shaw which kept going out at the slightest weather disturbance.

Portland has a ME-TV feed, but it seems to only be available if you have cable.  I wish that Dish would pick it up somehow.  I remember one day (when I had cable), I was sick and watched ME-TV all day.  They were having a theme day of "pet" episodes and I got to see all kinds of shows that I'd never seen before.  I also liked Antenna-TV.  That's where I discovered Gidget with Sally Field.  Unfortunately, I don't have that channel anymore either. 

I had a VCR but it was built into a 20" tube TV which I'm not using anymore.  Fortunately, I didn't have an enormous VHS collection, so I've been able to replace most of them with DVDs.  I just have a few Disney movies to replace.  I mostly use my husband's XBOX or PS4 to watch DVDs, Blu-Rays, Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.  It's very convenient that game systems have all these things built in nowadays.  

I have lived in apartments that had all kinds of strict rules regarding what could be outside your apartment.  Fortunately, I live in a house now so I can do what I want.  It is annoying to have other people dictating what you can and cannot do with your home that you're paying so much for. 

If I lived in BC, I would come and hook up your DVD player for you.  Often times, it's just a matter of plugging in an HDMI cord or the AV cables (the red,white,yellow cables).  Presumably, your TV would have all these inputs on the back and are labeled (or color coded) as to what they are.  

For me, the biggest godsend in the last decade or two has been DVR.  If I didn't have DVR, I would never get to watch any of TCM's offerings.

I had the greatest idea to bring back my beloved 90s Nick at Nite.  Nickelodeon could easily create a satellite "spin off" channel and just air all the old 90s promos, jingles and shows.  This stuff I'm sure is locked away in a vault somewhere (or wherever old programming is stored) and could be easily restored and brought back.  The only promos that could not be shown would be the telephone contests.  I loved the 90s Nick at Nite.  It was at its peak from the mid-90s to the early 00s and is truly one of my favorite childhood memories and was what instigated my love for classic film and television. 

• Like 1

I recently watched one of my favorite episodes of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW: "Rhoda The Beautiful" from Season 3.

It's the episode where Rhoda Morgenstern "looses a ton" (as Phyllis puts it) and enters a beauty contest at Hemple's Department Store, where she's employed as a window dresser.

The highlight of the episode for me is Phylliis's rendition of "Ten Cents A Dance." She re-creates the talent portion of a beauty contest that she once participated in while Mary and Rhoda basically ignore her. 

At the end of her "number" Phyllis says "I won a big box of chocolates for that."

It's interesting that Valerie Harper (who played Rhoda) was never overweight. In Season 1 and 2 of THE MTM SHOW, wardrobe was used to try to create he illusion that she was heavier than she was.

(Of course, almost anyone would look heavier than Mary Tyler Moore.)

When Rhoda got her own series, the opening of Season 1 consisted of Valerie Harper as Rhoda telling the character's history: "My name is Rhoda Morgenstern . . ."

When Rhoda talks about liking food as a child and having a bad puberty that "lasted 17 years," the photos that appear on the screen to represent those years of Rhoda's life (actual photos of Valerie Harper) reveal a person who is not the least bit fat, not even chubby!  

• Like 1

I recently watched one of my favorite episodes of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW: "Rhoda The Beautiful" from Season 3.

It's the episode where Rhoda Morgenstern "looses a ton" (as Phyllis puts it) and enters a beauty contest at Hemple's Department Store, where she's employed as a window dresser.

The highlight of the episode for me is Phylliis's rendition of "Ten Cents A Dance." She re-creates the talent portion of a beauty contest that she once participated in while Mary and Rhoda basically ignore her. 

At the end of her "number" Phyllis says "I won a big box of chocolates for that."

It's interesting that Valerie Harper (who played Rhoda) was never overweight. In Season 1 and 2 of THE MTM SHOW, wardrobe was used to try to create he illusion that she was heavier than she was,

(Of course, almost anyone would look heavier than Mary Tyler Moore.)

When Rhoda got her own series, the opening of Season 1 consisted of Valerie Harper as Rhoda telling the character's history: "My name is Rhoda Morgenstern . . ."

When Rhoda talks about liking food as a child and having a bad puberty that "lasted 17 years," the photos that appear on the screen to represent those years of Rhoda's life (actual photos of Valerie Harper) reveal a person who is not the least bit fat, not even chubby!  

Lol I love the Rhoda the Beautiful episode.  Phyllis' dance, in my opinion, is the funniest part of the entire episode.  I agree that Valerie Harper never looked overweight, though like you said, anyone would look overweight next to the very svelte MTM.  I read somewhere that Harper and Gavin MacLeod were in Weight Watchers or some type of 1970s program like that.  The writers used this in the episode where Rhoda and Murray are participating in the Calorie Cutters program together.

One of my favorite episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show (which I think is also on Season 3), is the "Put on a Happy Face" episode.  In this episode, Mary Richards has an uncharacteristic string of bad luck (she's late to work, she spills coffee on her new sweater, she slips on the freshly waxed floors and sprains her ankle, she gets a cold from soaking her foot, her date bails on her and she ends up with a "Robert Redford-type" aka Ted Baxter, the dry cleaner gets a massive stain on her dress for the Teddy Awards, she ends up with a run in her stockings, her hair dryer breaks, she has to wear one slipper on her injured foot and consequently steps in a puddle with the same foot, it starts raining enroute to the award banquet and she has to wear her yellow slicker, her eyelash falls off during the banquet... then she actually wins a Teddy Award, but oops! the Awards misspelled her name.)

Aside from poor Mary's bad luck, my favorite part is when Rhoda tries to cheer her up:

RHODA: Tomorrow, you'll meet a Crown Head of Europe and marry.  I'll have a fat attack.  I'll eat 300 peanut butter cups and die.

Am I alone in thinking that the dress that Mary gets from Rhoda and wears to the banquet is way better than the ugly white dress that the dry cleaner ruined? I think the dry cleaner was going her a favor by getting the huge ink stain on it.

• Like 1

Re: Ted Baxter:

My favourite scene of Ted Knight as Ted Baxter in the entire series is when he was reading a live news broadcast and didn't remember/understand/notice (?) the point of teleprompter scene notes and simply read off everything that it said.

Ted: Take glasses off, look concerned.

One of my favorite episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show (which I think is also on Season 3), is the "Put on a Happy Face" episode.  In this episode, Mary Richards has an uncharacteristic string of bad luck (she's late to work, she spills coffee on her new sweater, she slips on the freshly waxed floors and sprains her ankle, she gets a cold from soaking her foot, her date bails on her and she ends up with a "Robert Redford-type" aka Ted Baxter, the dry cleaner gets a massive stain on her dress for the Teddy Awards, she ends up with a run in her stockings, her hair dryer breaks, she has to wear one slipper on her injured foot and consequently steps in a puddle with the same foot, it starts raining enroute to the award banquet and she has to wear her yellow slicker, her eyelash falls off during the banquet... then she actually wins a Teddy Award, but oops! the Awards misspelled her name.)

"Put On A Happy Face" is a great episode.

Her "hair bump" in that episode is hilarious.

Another great episode featuring the Teddy Awards is the very first one to feature them: "Bob & Rhoda & Teddy & Mary" from Season 1. In that episode Rhoda's new boyfriend meets Mary and becomes more interested in her than in Rhoda. Although Mary didn't encourage him, Rhoda is upset with her. At the Teddy Awards ceremony, a glitch prevents Mary from hearing the name of the winner of the category she's nominated in.  Rhoda tells Mary that she (Mary) was the winner . . . and Mary ends up looking foolish when she goes up to claim someone else's award. Well, at least Rhoda can now forgive Mary. 

• Like 2

"Put On A Happy Face" is a great episode.

Her "hair bump" in that episode is hilarious.

Another great episode featuring the Teddy Awards is the very first one to feature them: "Bob & Rhoda & Teddy & Mary" from Season 1. In that episode Rhoda's new boyfriend meets Mary and becomes more interested in her than in Rhoda. Although Mary didn't encourage him, Rhoda is upset with her. At the Teddy Awards ceremony, a glitch prevents Mary from hearing the name of the winner of the category she's nominated in.  Rhoda tells Mary that she (Mary) was the winner . . . and Mary ends up looking foolish when she goes up claim someone else's award. Well, at least Rhoda can now forgive Mary. 

Yes! The Teddy Award episodes were always the best. The Teddy Awards to The Mary Tyler Moore Show was what Halloween was to Roseanne.  Remember the one where Ted finally wins after essentially buying his award? Is that the same one where Georgette sings "Steam Heat" ? Or is the "Steam Heat" one the one where Murray loses even though an inside source said he was going to win? 

I also love the one where Sue Ann wins.  She's all distraught because her boyfriend came on to Mary (or something like that, now I can't remember) and she's sobbing at the table.  Her name is called and she walks up to the stage, still crying.  She grabs her award, back to the camera and turns around and she's instantly all smiles and dimples.

Yes! The Teddy Award episodes were always the best. The Teddy Awards to The Mary Tyler Moore Show was what Halloween was to Roseanne.  Remember the one where Ted finally wins after essentially buying his award? Is that the same one where Georgette sings "Steam Heat" ? Or is the "Steam Heat" one the one where Murray loses even though an inside source said he was going to win? 

I also love the one where Sue Ann wins.  She's all distraught because her boyfriend came on to Mary (or something like that, now I can't remember) and she's sobbing at the table.  Her name is called and she walks up to the stage, still crying.  She grabs her award, back to the camera and turns around and she's instantly all smiles and dimples.

Sue Ann Nivens!

What a great character. Betty White played the role to perfection.

I love how Sue Ann's "Happy Homemaker" image was diametrically opposed to her real personality: she was a mean-spirited person and, well, a **** [a woman who has many casual sexual partners].

In her very first appearance ---on the wonderful "The Lars Affair" episode --- Sue Ann is carrying on with Phyllis's husband.

I love the time when Sue Ann was filming an episode of her "Happy Homemaker" series, all smiles and sweetness UNTIL the director calls cut. Then she starts cursing: "What the hell was that!" --- upset about the lighting or some other technical issue.

• Like 2

Sue Ann Nivens!

What a great character. Betty White played the role to perfection.

I love how Sue Ann's "Happy Homemaker" image was diametrically opposed to her real personality: she was a mean-spirited person and, well, a **** [a woman who has many casual sexual partners].

In her very first appearance ---on the wonderful "The Lars Affair" episode --- Sue Ann is carrying on with Phyllis's husband.

I love the time when Sue Ann was filming an episode of her "Happy Homemaker" series, all smiles and sweetness UNTIL the director calls cut. Then she starts cursing: "What the hell was that!" --- upset about the lighting or some other technical issue.

One of my favorite Sue Ann moments is when she's depressed because she thinks her sister Marilyn Munster (aka Pat Priest) is going to steal her life in Minneapolis (she'd just gotten a job as a Happy Homemaker type on a rival station) so she leaves WJM in the middle of the day and goes home.  The gang goes to her house to try and talk her back into coming to work and they get to see the inside of her bedroom for the first time.  The scene when Ted walks in is the absolute funniest part.  He comes in, looks around Sue Ann's room, then looks up, leans back and adjusts his hat, letting the audience know that Sue Ann has a mirrored ceiling.

Another of my favorite Sue Ann moments is all the drama surrounding the Veal Prince Orloff that she's prepared for Mary's dinner party.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Sue Ann moments is when she's depressed because she thinks her sister Marilyn Munster (aka Pat Priest) is going to steal her life in Minneapolis (she'd just gotten a job as a Happy Homemaker type on a rival station) so she leaves WJM in the middle of the day and goes home.  The gang goes to her house to try and talk her back into coming to work and they get to see the inside of her bedroom for the first time.  The scene when Ted walks in is the absolute funniest part.  He comes in, looks around Sue Ann's room, then looks up, leans back and adjusts his hat, letting the audience know that Sue Ann has a mirrored ceiling.

Another of my favorite Sue Ann moments is all the drama surrounding the Veal Prince Orloff that she's prepared for Mary's dinner party.

The episode with Mary's dinner party where Sue Ann's  Veal Prince Orloff is served is a favorite, especially the part where Lou Grant initially takes half of the dish that's meant to be divided among all at the party.

Is that the episode where Ted is not invited but shows up anyway or am I mixing that up with another Mary party disaster episode? 

• Like 1

My favourite Sue Ann Niven moment is when she and Phyllis are arguing over Sue Ann's relationship with Phyllis's husband while Sue Ann is trying to bake for her show.  I think it was a soufflé.

The episode with Mary's dinner party where Sue Ann's  Veal Prince Orloff is served is a favorite, especially the part where Lou Grant initially takes half of the dish that's meant to be divided among all at the party.

Is that the episode where Ted is not invited but shows up anyway or am I mixing that up with another Mary party disaster episode?

Yes. Ted wasn't invited because Mary only had six chairs. Since Sue Ann is cooking, she was one of the guests. Then there was Mary's guest of honor and the other chairs were given to Lou, Rhoda and Murray. Then remember Rhoda brings Henry Winkler who keeps announcing to everyone that he's been fired and he has to sit at the little table?

Ted later shows up with a small container of ice cream. He just happened to be in the neighborhood he says.

• Like 2

Yes. Ted wasn't invited because Mary only had six chairs. Since Sue Ann is cooking, she was one of the guests. Then there was Mary's guest of honor and the other chairs were given to Lou, Rhoda and Murray. Then remember Rhoda brings Henry Winkler who keeps announcing to everyone that he's been fired and he has to sit at the little table?

Ted later shows up with a small container of ice cream. He just happened to be in the neighborhood he says.

Haha!

I love how when Ted finds out that he's not invited to the party he tells Mary that he had lots of parties in the past that she wasn't invited to and that her "Mr. Right" was actually at one of those parties and she missed him.

Then he changes his tune and begs Mary to let him come to her party even offering to pay her!

And, of course, there's the sob story he tells about the time when as a 15-year-old he was the only one in his class that wasn't invited to this girl's Christmas party.

When he crashes Mary's party he tells the sob story  to Mary's guest of honor but the reason he wasn't invited to the Christmas party is not the same as when told the story to Mary!

But both stories include the part where he recounts how the lonely 15-year-old Ted heard the carolers outside singing "It came upon a midnight clear."

• Like 2

Haha!

I love how when Ted finds out that he's not invited to the party he tells Mary that he had lots of parties in the past that she wasn't invited to and that her "Mr. Right" was actually at one of those parties and she missed him.

Then he changes his tune and begs Mary to let him come to her party even offering to pay her!

And, of course, there's the sob story he tells about the time when as a 15-year-old he was the only one in his class that wasn't invited to this girl's Christmas party.

When he crashes Mary's party he tells the sob story  to Mary's guest of honor but the reason he wasn't invited to the Christmas party is not the same as when told the story to Mary!

But both stories include the part where he recounts how the lonely 15-year-old Ted heard the carolers outside singing "It came upon a midnight clear."

Lol! I know! Ted was hilarious.

Another great party episode is the one where the gang is all fighting with one another for various reasons.  Sue Ann invites the news staff to a Christmas party on her set (even though it's November) to eat the Christmas feast that she cooked for the show.  When they all show up, she makes them wear hats representing different nationalities.  The funniest part is when she puts the German WWI helmet (with the spike) on top of Mary's head.  Personally, if I were at that party, I'd want to wear Sue Ann's "Little Dutch Girl" hat.  

Another great party episode is one of the last season episodes in Mary's new apartment.  She has the big party and she's informed that her guest is planning on bringing Johnny Carson.  The party is going along well and everyone is anticipating meeting Johnny Carson.  Then the power goes out.  The rest of the party is in the dark and Johnny makes his entrance, introduces himself to the voices and then leaves.  Nobody ever actually sees Carson. 

• Like 1

Another great party episode is the one where the gang is all fighting with one another for various reasons.  Sue Ann invites the news staff to a Christmas party on her set (even though it's November) to eat the Christmas feast that she cooked for the show.  When they all show up, she makes them wear hats representing different nationalities.  The funniest part is when she puts the German WWI helmet (with the spike) on top of Mary's head.  Personally, if I were at that party, I'd want to wear Sue Ann's "Little Dutch Girl" hat.  

Yes!  The "Not a Christmas Story" episode is hilarious.

The WJM newsroom team are all angry with each other for various reasons and  end up snowed in together at the station. Sue Ann tries get everyone in the "spirit" by making them wear hats from around the world from her TV special ---Mary wears the German helmet that you mentioned (hilarious!) and Lou Grant wears a sombrero -- and by singing the "The Twelve Days of Christmas" but the "festivities" only make everyone angrier.

At one point Georgette sings a sweet rendition of "Silent Night" and someone (Mary I think) says "Does anyone still remember what we were all angry about?" to which someone (Lou?) says "I do!" and someone else says "Me too" so they are all bickering again.

holiblog+mary.png

• Like 1

Yes!  The "Not a Christmas Story" episode is hilarious.

The WJM newsroom team are all angry with each other for various reasons and  end up snowed in together at the station. Sue Ann tries get everyone in the "spirit" by making them wear hats from around the world from her TV special ---Mary wears the German helmet that you mentioned (hilarious!) and Lou Grant wears a sombrero -- and by singing the "The Twelve Days of Christmas" but the "festivities" only make everyone angrier.

At one point Georgette sings a sweet rendition of "Silent Night" and someone (Mary I think) says "Does anyone still remember what we were all angry about?" to which someone (Lou?) says "I do!" and someone else says "Me too" so they are all bickering again.

holiblog+mary.png

I love when SueAnn sings: FIIIIIIVEEEE GOLLLLLDENNN RIIIIINGS!

• Like 2

It's no secret here that my favorite television show is I Love Lucy.  I never tire of watching this show.  Whether I've seen an episode five times or a hundred times, I never tire of it.  Of course, there are episodes that I like better than others, but even I Love Lucy's worst episode is usually a million times better than some of the best episodes of other shows.

My top 10 favorite I Love Lucy episodes, in order of preference:

1) L.A. at Last! I absolutely love this episode.  The Ricardos and Mertzes finally make it to Hollywood.  Lucy and the Mertzes see Eve Arden and William Holden at the Brown Derby.  Ethel makes a fool of herself to Arden.  Lucy embarrasses herself in front of Holden.  Prior to the classic pie scene, the funniest part of the Brown Derby experience is when Ethel cuts Lucy's spaghetti noodles with her manicuring scissors.  Then of course, the whole nose scene is hilarious.  Desi Arnaz and Holden's facial expressions make the scene even funnier than it already was.

2) Lucy Gets a Paris Gown.  Lucy and Ethel go to a fashion show and come home demanding Jacques Marcel dresses.  Ricky says no.  Lucy goes on a hunger strike and feigns hunger for quite sometime.  Ricky eventually discovers that Ethel has been sneaking food to Lucy.  To get back at Lucy and Ethel, Ricky and Fred have a local tailor whip up "original" Parisian gowns using burlap, a horse's feed bag and a champagne bucket.  Lucy and Ethel wear their new gowns until Ricky spills the beans.

3) Lucy Raises Tulips.  Lucy enters a tulip contest in Connecticut, hoping to take down five-time winner Betty Ramsey.  She ends up running amok on a riding lawn mower and takes out Betty's flower garden.  Lucy and Ethel replace the tulips with wax ones.  Ricky decides to finish mowing the lawn... except it's dark.  He ends up plowing through Lucy's garden and she too will have wax tulips.  The next day when the judges visit, it's a scorcher.  The funniest part is when Lucy goes back and forth across the window on the lawn mower, while Ethel is on the phone.

4) The Charm School.  Lucy and Ethel feel like slobs after meeting an acquaintance's new fling.  They decide to enlist in Phoebe Emerson's charm school.  After a week of learning how to walk, talk, dress, sit, stand, etc. they are ready to unveil their new looks to their husbands.  The funniest part is when Lucy opens the door to Ethel decked out in a skintight, leopard print, mermaid style gown.  

5) Lucy Wants New Furniture.  Lucy again wants new furniture (how many sets of furniture does this woman need?).  Ricky of course says no, Lucy says yes. She had already bought the furniture prior to asking Ricky.  She tries to hide the new furniture, which obviously doesn't work.  Ricky will have to go into the kitchen eventually.  She then decides to economize and save money to afford the new furniture.  She makes Ricky a tiny sausage, egg and toast breakfast.  She then tries to make her own dress and give herself a perm... 

6) The Star Upstairs.  Cornel Wilde is staying in the penthouse above the Ricardos' Hollywood suite.  Lucy, needing to see her 1,000th star to round out her celebrity diary, schemes with Ethel and Bobby the bell boy to catch a glimpse.  She ends up locked out on Wilde's balcony and fashions a rope with beach towels to lower herself down.  The funniest scene in the entire episode is when Ethel frantically tries to distract Ricky from looking out the window as Lucy is hanging there.

7) Fred and Ethel Fight.  The Mertzes are fighting and the Ricardos try to get them back together by inviting Fred and Ethel without telling either that the other is coming.  Their scheme works, but then Lucy and Ricky end up fighting.  Neither party wants to admit to the other that they were wrong.  Lucy and Ethel plan to use a sympathy approach by wrapping Lucy in bandages and casts and pretending she was hit by a bus.  Ricky and Fred plan to use the hero approach by having Ricky save Lucy from a fire in their building.  While Lucy is wrapped in bandages and casts, Ricky comes in and creates the fake smoke and sirens.  Lucy, thinking the building really is on fire, grabs her possessions (including her henna rinse) and fashions a rope made out of bedsheets and jumps out the window.

8) The Million Dollar Idea.  Lucy and Ethel decide to market Lucy's delicious homemade salad dressing.  They go on Carolyn Appleby's husband's television station and advertise their product.  Their sales take off and they have twenty three orders.  After Ricky calculates their profit, he concludes that they've underpriced their product and they should go out of business before they lose too much money.  Before they know it, three bags of mail are delivered and their orders have ballooned to a couple hundred.  They decide to go on the television station again and "un-sell" their product by claiming it is rancid and a terrible product.  The funniest part is Lucy's country bumpkin character screaming CANCEL! CANCEL! CANCEL! AND DO IT NOW! This tactic doesn't work and soon they have orders for over a thousand jars.

9) Ricky Thinks He's Getting Bald.  Ricky thinks he's losing his hair.  Lucy thinks he's ridiculous.  She decides to try and deter him from his phobia by having him walk into a room full of bald men.  Ricky decides not to come home when the bald men are there, so Lucy has to pay them off and waste the money.  Lucy decides to give him all sorts of horrible home remedies.  The climax of the scene is Lucy's remedy for hair loss. 

10) The Black Wig.  Lucy wants to get the new, short, chic, black hued, Italian haircut.  Ricky says no, because he doesn't like the idea of Lucy having short hair.  Lucy tries on a black wig and decides to play a game with Ricky.  He's tipped off by the owner of Lucy's beauty salon.  Ricky decides to play a game with Lucy.  She tries to flirt with him and he flirts back.  Later, Ethel wants to try the same scheme against Fred.  The highlight is the end when Lucy, in her beautiful Italian outfit and Ethel in her crazy, rented, three piece (American Indian fringed gown, Geisha Girl wig, and American Eskimo fur coat) outfit meet the boys for dinner.  "You look like an ad for a trip around the world" says a disgusted Lucy to Ethel.  

• Like 3

Great Lucy list! I'd like to add three that are my big favorites.

1. The Freezer. Great premise and so many funny scenes, but for some reason I especially love the part when Lucy and Ethel try to sell their extra meat at the butcher's. Lucy's repetitious lines, her hand gestures (especially when she does five or six in a row)... I used to play it out myself as a kid. "Tell ya what I'm gonna dew!"

2. Home Movies. Favorite scenes: The end result of Lucy and Ethel's "project", sped up, and the later showing of the film, with everyone's reactions, including Ricky waving his fist at Lucy.

3. The iconic drunken scene in Lucy Does a TV Commercial. I also love when she stumbles over to Ricky as he is singing, drunkenly kissing the air in his direction.

Honorable mention: I think it's in Lucy is Jealous of Girl Singer, but at one point Lucy, getting into Ricky's act, runs out on stage and into a wild man act. Her scream and facial expression are so hilarious I burst out laughing every time.

Best line from Speedy's choice of The Charm School: Ethel and Lucy are 'transformed' and want to show off to Mrs. Trumbull. Ethel says with a hilariously affected voice, "Yes, let's let her, get a load, of us!"

• Like 2

Great Lucy list! I'd like to add three that are my big favorites.

1. The Freezer. Great premise and so many funny scenes, but for some reason I especially love the part when Lucy and Ethel try to sell their extra meat at the butcher's. Lucy's repetitious lines, her hand gestures (especially when she does five or six in a row)... I used to play it out myself as a kid. "Tell ya what I'm gonna dew!"

2. Home Movies. Favorite scenes: The end result of Lucy and Ethel's "project", sped up, and the later showing of the film, with everyone's reactions, including Ricky waving his fist at Lucy.

3. The iconic drunken scene in Lucy Does a TV Commercial. I also love when she stumbles over to Ricky as he is singing, drunkenly kissing the air in his direction.

Honorable mention: I think it's in Lucy is Jealous of Girl Singer, but at one point Lucy, getting into Ricky's act, runs out on stage and into a wild man act. Her scream and facial expression are so hilarious I burst out laughing every time.

Best line from Speedy's choice of The Charm School: Ethel and Lucy are 'transformed' and want to show off to Mrs. Trumbull. Ethel says with a hilariously affected voice, "Yes, let's let her, get a load, of us!"

Lol. My favorite lines from "Home Movies," are: "I got wind of it" at the end of the crazy movie and earlier in the rehearsal film: Ethel saying: "I didn't cut them cards!"

My other favorite line from The Charm School: LUCY: "what's Eve Whitney got that we haven't got? Nothing! We've got just as much as she's got, and lots more!" ETHEL: "yeah but the 'lots more' is in all the wrong places."

For some reason, I always laugh at the part when they're in the charm school and Miss Emerson is telling the girls to relax and let their bodies go limp and Lucy falls on the floor. It cracks me up when Miss Emerson says: "No Mrs. Ricardo, not that limp."

In "Lucy is Jealous of a Girl Singer," I love the part about the "black lace blue jeans." I agree when she's wearing the wig is hilarious. I also like the end when Ricky walks out of the closet wearing the wig.

Another of my favorite episodes is "Young Fans" with Janet Waldo and Richard Crenna. When Lucy and Ricky dress up as frail senior citizens to discourage their teenaged admirers, it cracks me up. My favorite lines: LUCY (about Ricky): "He's baba'd his last 'lu" and RICKY: please keep jigglin' Peggy.

• Like 1