Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

I also like when Ricky erupts in Spanish: "Miraquetienecosalamujeresta!"  His delivery is hilarious, with his eyeballs popping out of his head.

And I love the Hollywood ep when Lucy unwittingly gets Ricky out of his contract.  Ricky explodes, but he takes it out on the bric-a-brac in the apartment.  Lucy is egging him on, handing him things to destroy, wanting him to get all his energy out so that he doesn't go after her...  Later, after Ricky goes and Lucy is looking under the couch, Ethel and Fred walk in and Ethel sees Lucy lying on the floor and exclaims something like, "He finally did it!!!" (Ethel thought Ricky killed Lucy).  LOL...

• Like 2

I also like when Ricky erupts in Spanish: "Miraquetienecosalamujeresta!"  His delivery is hilarious, with his eyeballs popping out of his head.

And I love the Hollywood ep when Lucy unwittingly gets Ricky out of his contract.  Ricky explodes, but he takes it out on the bric-a-brac in the apartment.  Lucy is egging him on, handing him things to destroy, wanting him to get all his energy out so that he doesn't go after her...  Later, after Ricky goes and Lucy is looking under the couch, Ethel and Fred walk in and Ethel sees Lucy lying on the floor and exclaims something like, "He finally did it!!!" (Ethel thought Ricky killed Lucy).  LOL...

Lol! I love that episode. I love all the remakes Lucy mentions to the producer: Gone With the Cuban Wind, The Ricardos of Wimpole Street, A Streetcar Named Ricardo... I love when she gets kicked out and then as the producer starts working at his desk, Lucy pops in the window and says "Meet Me in St. Ricky?" For some reason, that title cracks me up the most.

Another Hollywood episode I love is the one where Lucy does the fashion show and ends up with a horrible sunburn. She then has to model a tweed suit, while burned to a crisp. Lol. Lucy's grimaces were hilarious and you could just feel her pain.

• Like 3

Lol! I love that episode. I love all the remakes Lucy mentions to the producer: Gone With the Cuban Wind, The Ricardos of Wimpole Street, A Streetcar Named Ricardo... I love when she gets kicked out and then as the producer starts working at his desk, Lucy pops in the window and says "Meet Me in St. Ricky?" For some reason, that title cracks me up the most.

Another Hollywood episode I love is the one where Lucy does the fashion show and ends up with a horrible sunburn. She then has to model a tweed suit, while burned to a crisp. Lol. Lucy's grimaces were hilarious and you could just feel her pain.

Yes, what a great episode!

Yeah, the fashion show ep was a good one because the wives of Hollywood stars were featured.  I'll bet that was nice for them. :)

• Like 3

I have the DVD collection of I Love Lucy Season 2.  I rewatch them often.

My favourite episode of Hollywood stars though is the one where Richard Widmark guest stars.

Ohmygawd, I'm going to have to get MTM box sets from the library-I've forgotten ALL those episodes!!

MTM aired in my teen years and absolutely influenced my becoming an independent career woman.

Holden, recognise the phrase Zaga-zusi-ZIM?

• Like 2

Holden, recognise the phrase Zaga-zusi-ZIM?

Yagazuzi

Yagazuzi

Yagazuzi zim!

That was the first verse of the incantation that Uncle Arthur (Paul Lynde) taught Darrin to use against Endora in the BEWITCHED episode "The Joker Is A Card" from Season 2. This episode marked the first appearance of Uncle Arthur although Paul Lynde had appeared earlier in an episode from Season 1 as the mortal driving instructor Harold Harold.

The incantation was part of a practical joke that Uncle Arthur was playing on Darrin. Arthur convinced Darrin that mortals could use witchcraft but just needed a little help such as "sound effects" from a cow bell and a duck call. He taught Darrin when to make the sounds during the incantation.

In Uncle Arthur's second appearance --- in the episode "Endora Moves In For A Spell" from Season 3 ---- he greets Darrin with "How's my yagazuzi nephew-in-law?"

Samantha's relatives were an important part of BEWITCHED although often the specifics of the relationships were not stated explicitly.

Endora and Arthur, however, were explicitly identified as sister and brother.

At first I thought that Aunt Clara was Samantha's great aunt since she was an older witch whose magic often fails or misfires,  but when Samantha announces she is pregnant Aunt Clara says that she's looking forward to becoming a great aunt when the baby is born.

Samantha's Aunt Hagatha and Aunt Enchantra are often identified online as being Endora's sisters, but this information is inaccurate. Hagatha and Enchantra are explicitly identified in the series as sisters, but Endora is never identified as the sister of either of them.

In fact, in the episode "Endora Moves In For A Spell," it is explicitly stated that Endora was an only child before her brother Arthur was born. Hagatha and Enchantra are clearly  older than Arthur and possibly older than Endora.

Although not explicitly stated, I think of Clara, Hagatha and Enchantra as the sisters of Samantha's father Maurice.

In the episode "Trial And Error Of Aunt Clara" from Season 3, Hagatha and Enchantra cry when the judge sentences Clara to be earthbound when she fails to demonstrate that her powers are intact while Endora is not similarly moved.  

• Like 1

It's no secret here that my favorite television show is I Love Lucy.  I never tire of watching this show.  Whether I've seen an episode five times or a hundred times, I never tire of it.  Of course, there are episodes that I like better than others, but even I Love Lucy's worst episode is usually a million times better than some of the best episodes of other shows.

My top 10 favorite I Love Lucy episodes, in order of preference:

1) L.A. at Last! I absolutely love this episode.  The Ricardos and Mertzes finally make it to Hollywood.  Lucy and the Mertzes see Eve Arden and William Holden at the Brown Derby.  Ethel makes a fool of herself to Arden.  Lucy embarrasses herself in front of Holden.  Prior to the classic pie scene, the funniest part of the Brown Derby experience is when Ethel cuts Lucy's spaghetti noodles with her manicuring scissors.  Then of course, the whole nose scene is hilarious.  Desi Arnaz and Holden's facial expressions make the scene even funnier than it already was.

2) Lucy Gets a Paris Gown.  Lucy and Ethel go to a fashion show and come home demanding Jacques Marcel dresses.  Ricky says no.  Lucy goes on a hunger strike and feigns hunger for quite sometime.  Ricky eventually discovers that Ethel has been sneaking food to Lucy.  To get back at Lucy and Ethel, Ricky and Fred have a local tailor whip up "original" Parisian gowns using burlap, a horse's feed bag and a champagne bucket.  Lucy and Ethel wear their new gowns until Ricky spills the beans.

3) Lucy Raises Tulips.  Lucy enters a tulip contest in Connecticut, hoping to take down five-time winner Betty Ramsey.  She ends up running amok on a riding lawn mower and takes out Betty's flower garden.  Lucy and Ethel replace the tulips with wax ones.  Ricky decides to finish mowing the lawn... except it's dark.  He ends up plowing through Lucy's garden and she too will have wax tulips.  The next day when the judges visit, it's a scorcher.  The funniest part is when Lucy goes back and forth across the window on the lawn mower, while Ethel is on the phone.

4) The Charm School.  Lucy and Ethel feel like slobs after meeting an acquaintance's new fling.  They decide to enlist in Phoebe Emerson's charm school.  After a week of learning how to walk, talk, dress, sit, stand, etc. they are ready to unveil their new looks to their husbands.  The funniest part is when Lucy opens the door to Ethel decked out in a skintight, leopard print, mermaid style gown.  

5) Lucy Wants New Furniture.  Lucy again wants new furniture (how many sets of furniture does this woman need?).  Ricky of course says no, Lucy says yes. She had already bought the furniture prior to asking Ricky.  She tries to hide the new furniture, which obviously doesn't work.  Ricky will have to go into the kitchen eventually.  She then decides to economize and save money to afford the new furniture.  She makes Ricky a tiny sausage, egg and toast breakfast.  She then tries to make her own dress and give herself a perm... 

6) The Star Upstairs.  Cornel Wilde is staying in the penthouse above the Ricardos' Hollywood suite.  Lucy, needing to see her 1,000th star to round out her celebrity diary, schemes with Ethel and Bobby the bell boy to catch a glimpse.  She ends up locked out on Wilde's balcony and fashions a rope with beach towels to lower herself down.  The funniest scene in the entire episode is when Ethel frantically tries to distract Ricky from looking out the window as Lucy is hanging there.

7) Fred and Ethel Fight.  The Mertzes are fighting and the Ricardos try to get them back together by inviting Fred and Ethel without telling either that the other is coming.  Their scheme works, but then Lucy and Ricky end up fighting.  Neither party wants to admit to the other that they were wrong.  Lucy and Ethel plan to use a sympathy approach by wrapping Lucy in bandages and casts and pretending she was hit by a bus.  Ricky and Fred plan to use the hero approach by having Ricky save Lucy from a fire in their building.  While Lucy is wrapped in bandages and casts, Ricky comes in and creates the fake smoke and sirens.  Lucy, thinking the building really is on fire, grabs her possessions (including her henna rinse) and fashions a rope made out of bedsheets and jumps out the window.

8) The Million Dollar Idea.  Lucy and Ethel decide to market Lucy's delicious homemade salad dressing.  They go on Carolyn Appleby's husband's television station and advertise their product.  Their sales take off and they have twenty three orders.  After Ricky calculates their profit, he concludes that they've underpriced their product and they should go out of business before they lose too much money.  Before they know it, three bags of mail are delivered and their orders have ballooned to a couple hundred.  They decide to go on the television station again and "un-sell" their product by claiming it is rancid and a terrible product.  The funniest part is Lucy's country bumpkin character screaming CANCEL! CANCEL! CANCEL! AND DO IT NOW! This tactic doesn't work and soon they have orders for over a thousand jars.

9) Ricky Thinks He's Getting Bald.  Ricky thinks he's losing his hair.  Lucy thinks he's ridiculous.  She decides to try and deter him from his phobia by having him walk into a room full of bald men.  Ricky decides not to come home when the bald men are there, so Lucy has to pay them off and waste the money.  Lucy decides to give him all sorts of horrible home remedies.  The climax of the scene is Lucy's remedy for hair loss. 

10) The Black Wig.  Lucy wants to get the new, short, chic, black hued, Italian haircut.  Ricky says no, because he doesn't like the idea of Lucy having short hair.  Lucy tries on a black wig and decides to play a game with Ricky.  He's tipped off by the owner of Lucy's beauty salon.  Ricky decides to play a game with Lucy.  She tries to flirt with him and he flirts back.  Later, Ethel wants to try the same scheme against Fred.  The highlight is the end when Lucy, in her beautiful Italian outfit and Ethel in her crazy, rented, three piece (American Indian fringed gown, Geisha Girl wig, and American Eskimo fur coat) outfit meet the boys for dinner.  "You look like an ad for a trip around the world" says a disgusted Lucy to Ethel.

OMG, you totally brought these I Love Lucy episodes to life, all.among my many favorites. I grew up watching reruns of I Love Lucy, and wohld also see.reruns of The Lucy Show. I caught the last few seasons.of Here's Lucy "live", and I remember thinking they were funny. While these.episodes have their moments, more recent viewings of Here's Lucy reveal how stale they had become, recycled.plots.and gags, often used in each succeeding series, and definitely no longer very funny. Her 80s series was even more pathetic.

But I Love Lucy was brilliant, and I too can watch them over and over, although I'd don't make enough time for them lately. I've probably watched individual episodes over 100 times, and I laugh every time. Just a couple of comments on the episodes you mention, all favorites of mine:

In the Hollywood at Last (my absolute fave of the Hollywood ones, and one of my top 3 overall), besides all that you mentioned, I love it when Ricky returns from the studio and announces to an excited Lucy that he brought home one of the biggest stars, and racing from the bedroom to the living room, she stops herself when he says "William Holden". Then when she cowers at the edge of the bed, hiding her face, saying she discovered she's afraid of movie stars up close (or something like that), and says, "Tell him to go away and I'll see him in his next picture". To which Ricky reminds her that all the way on the cross country trip she went on about "Bill Holden! Bill Holden!". To which she replies, "Yeah, well, I'm fickle!?" Of course, he forces her to go out, whereupon the putty nose. Great stuff.

• Like 4

Yagazuzi

Yagazuzi

Yagazuzi zim!

I knew you'd know it!

Hilarious!

While I loved the show as a kid, it wasn't until I became an adult I realized how incredibly funny Darrin's mother (Mabel Albertson) was. "Frank, I have a sick headache".

Actually, ALL the women were funny in an insulting sort of way, look at Mrs Kravitz.

Maybe one of the points was to show how "silly" the old model of women were as compared to the "modern woman" Samantha - independant, beautiful, intelligent, talented wife & mother, do-it-all sort of woman.

At least, that's what I got out of the series.

Yesterday was a boring day at my rent job so I read an entire American Icon magazine devoted to LUCY. One of her great quotes was, "I'm not funny. What I am is brave." Nice.

• Like 1

While I loved the show as a kid, it wasn't until I became an adult I realized how incredibly funny Darrin's mother (Mabel Albertson) was. "Frank, I have a sick headache".

Actually, ALL the women were funny in an insulting sort of way, look at Mrs Kravitz.

Maybe one of the points was to show how "silly" the old model of women were as compared to the "modern woman" Samantha - independant, beautiful, intelligent, talented wife & mother, do-it-all sort of woman.

At least, that's what I got out of the series.

Mrs. Stephens is a favorite of mine too. I love the exchanges between her and Endora.

And, of course, whenever she's on I'm always waiting for her to have a "sick headache."

Samantha's independence is very interesting. She's this supernaturally powerful being who chooses to suppress her powers out of her love for Darrin, who wants a "normal" life.

I love Endora's line in early episode: "What you call normal, we call asinine."

And Darrin can be seen as oppressive ---wanting Samantha to hide who she really is--- except that the choice to live a mortal life (or to try to) is entirely Samantha's.

• Like 1

Mrs. Stephens is a favorite of mine too. I love the exchanges between her and Endora.

And, of course, whenever she's on I'm always waiting for her to have a "sick headache."

Samantha's independence is very interesting. She's this supernaturally powerful being who chooses to suppress her powers out of her love for Darrin, who wants a "normal" life.

I love Endora's line in early episode: "What you call normal, we call asinine."

And Darrin can be seen as oppressive ---wanting Samantha to hide who she really is--- except that the choice to live a mortal life (or to try to) is entirely Samantha's.

I always thought that Darrin was nuts for not wanting his magic wife to use her powers.  If she uses her powers to do mundane tasks like dishes and laundry, who cares?! If I was Samantha, I'd use my powers to clean the house in five minutes and move on with my day.  I love the episodes when Samantha and Endora take off and have lunch in Paris and things like that.  

I'm just saying if I had a spouse who had powers, I'd definitely not be cleaning and I'd definitely not be working.  I'd be traveling and doing all kinds of fun stuff--not thinking up dumb slogans for soup like Durwood does.

• Like 1

OMG, you totally brought these I Love Lucy episodes to life, all.among my many favorites. I grew up watching reruns of I Love Lucy, and wohld also see.reruns of The Lucy Show. I caught the last few seasons.of Here's Lucy "live", and I remember thinking they were funny. While these.episodes have their moments, more recent viewings of Here's Lucy reveal how stale they had become, recycled.plots.and gags, often used in each succeeding series, and definitely no longer very funny. Her 80s series was even more pathetic.

But I Love Lucy was brilliant, and I too can watch them over and over, although I'd don't make enough time for them lately. I've probably watched individual episodes over 100 times, and I laugh every time. Just a couple of comments on the episodes you mention, all favorites of mine:

In the Hollywood at Last (my absolute fave of the Hollywood ones, and one of my top 3 overall), besides all that you mentioned, I love it when Ricky returns from the studio and announces to an excited Lucy that he brought home one of the biggest stars, and racing from the bedroom to the living room, she stops herself when he says "William Holden". Then when she cowers at the edge of the bed, hiding her face, saying she discovered she's afraid of movie stars up close (or something like that), and says, "Tell him to go away and I'll see him in his next picture". To which Ricky reminds her that all the way on the cross country trip she went on about "Bill Holden! Bill Holden!". To which she replies, "Yeah, well, I'm fickle!?" Of course, he forces her to go out, whereupon the putty nose. Great stuff.

Yay! I'm glad to see the love for the William Holden episode.  I also like the beginning when Lucy and the Mertzes are at the Brown Derby.  They keep hearing all the phone call announcements.  Lucy and Ethel jump up for I think Gregory Peck and Walter Pidgeon (Where?! Where?! they say) Fred reminds them that "they're just people like you and me."  Then there's an announcement for Ava Gardner.  Fred jumps up: "Where? Where?" Ethel says, "Fred.  Remember, she's just people like you and me." Fred says: "She may be people, but she's not like you and me."  

Lol. 

I also love when Ethel asks Eve Arden if the caricature is Judy Holliday or Shelley Winters.  Arden turns around and says: "Neither. It's Eve Arden."  Ethel thanks her and turns around... then realizes what just happened.

• Like 1

I always thought that Darrin was nuts for not wanting his magic wife to use her powers.  If she uses her powers to do mundane tasks like dishes and laundry, who cares?! If I was Samantha, I'd use my powers to clean the house in five minutes and move on with my day. 

I think MOST people think that way speedy, but remember, you're an entirely different generation.

I am a product of the 60's and my parents were brought up in the 40's. A women's "role" as housewife is that you cooked & cleaned to support the man & his job, that supported the family financially.

The only way to get through the drudgery, was to take pride in it.

(Mary Poppins instilled this idea in her charges with "spoonful of sugar" number)

A woman (back then) felt great satisfaction if her home husband & kids looked great-it was a reflection of her abilities. And if she served a creative Jello with floating fruit for dessert - my word - she was AMAZING!

I think BEWITCHED was the last young housewife on TV, those who came after were from the previous generation, like Edith Bunker.

TV made it's way to Mary Tyler Moore, who was revolutionary- a gorgeous single woman "making it on her own" in a man's business. Sue Ann Nivens & Phyllis were the "old" models in that show. (Sadly, similarly themed JULIA with gorgeous Dianne Carol was too short lived to make an impact)

I hated, HATED I DREAM OF JEANNIE, even as a kid. I thought it was horrible that ANY woman would make "marriage" or "trapping a man" her life goal.

Such is reality for the first generation who grew up watching TV as babysitter.

• Like 1

I always thought that Darrin was nuts for not wanting his magic wife to use her powers. If she uses her powers to do mundane tasks like dishes and laundry, who cares?! If I was Samantha, I'd use my powers to clean the house in five minutes and move on with my day.

I think MOST people think that way speedy, but remember, you're an entirely different generation.

I am a product of the 60's and my parents were brought up in the 40's. A women's "role" as housewife is that you cooked & cleaned to support the man & his job, that supported the family financially.

(Mary Poppins instilled this idea in her charges with "spoonful of sugar" number)

A woman (back then) felt great satisfaction if her home husband & kids looked great-it was a reflection of her abilities. And if she served a creative Jello with floating fruit for dessert - my word - she was AMAZING!

I think BEWITCHED was the last young housewife on TV, those who came after were from the previous generation, like Edith Bunker.

TV made it's way to Mary Tyler Moore, who was revolutionary- a gorgeous single woman "making it on her own" in a man's business. Sue Ann Nivens & Phyllis were the "old" models in that show. (Sadly, similarly themed JULIA with gorgeous Dianne Carol was too short lived to make an impact)

I hated, HATED I DREAM OF JEANNIE, even as a kid. I thought it was horrible that ANY woman would make "marriage" or "trapping a man" her life goal.

I see what you're saying and understand it. While I liked "Bewitched," I loved "I Dream of Jeannie." While I can see the "trapping a man," being a turn off, I liked Jeannie because she just did what she wanted regardless of what Major Nelson said. Most of her schemes were the result of Jeannie trying to help. I loved when she'd do something crazy like put Major Nelson in some bizarre costume and then disappear right when Dr. Bellows walked in. She definitely didn't help her master's cause when it came to proving to Dr. Bellows that he wasn't nuts.

I always found Darrin (at least in the earlier seasons), to be kind of mean to Samantha. Major Nelson, to me, seemed to be a much nicer person.

I always thought that Darrin was nuts for not wanting his magic wife to use her powers.  If she uses her powers to do mundane tasks like dishes and laundry, who cares?! If I was Samantha, I'd use my powers to clean the house in five minutes and move on with my day. 

I could never get into I DREAM OF JEANNIE either but I love BEWITCHED!

Samantha never "belonged" to Darrin the way that Jeannie belonged to her master.

Samantha chose to try to fit into the mortal world. At any moment (if she chose) you could have said "Forget this." The point was that she really loved Darrin Stephens---whatever her reasons might have been.

Also I just liked BEWITCHED as a show more than I DREAM OF JEANNIE.

BEWITCHED is more entertaining to me.

Like speedracer, I also would want a spouse of mine to use their powers so I can see where she's coming from thinking Darrin was nuts. 

I could never get into I DREAM OF JEANNIE either but I love BEWITCHED!

Samantha never "belonged" to Darrin the way that Jeannie belonged to her master.

Samantha chose to try to fit into the mortal world. At any moment (if she chose) you could have said "Forget this." The point was that she really loved Darrin Stephens---whatever her reasons might have been.

Also I just liked BEWITCHED as a show more than I DREAM OF JEANNIE.

BEWITCHED is more entertaining to me.

Like speedracer, I also would want a spouse of mine to use their powers so I can see where she's coming from thinking Darrin was nuts. 

I liked both of the "magic" shows.  'Jeannie' a little moreso, because it was wacky.  I always felt like if Jeannie truly wanted to be free, Major Nelson would free her--and would end up missing her even though she drives him crazy.  Does anyone know if Major Nelson uses all three of his wishes?  I know he uses one to get off the desert island after he finds Jeannie.  I did think the show jumped the shark when Major Nelson and Jeannie got married.  I did not like that plot point.

Holden and Tiki, I agree with your stances on Samantha.  I still think Darrin was bonkers though for wanting to dissuade her from using her powers.  Plus, she always uses her powers! Otherwise, why watch a half hour show where no magic happens? I loved the episodes when Samantha's relatives would turn Darrin into things.  I like the one episode where they turn Darrin into a little kid.

I think I have seen all of the black and white episodes of Bewitched but not as many of the color ones.  Did Nick at Nite show the color ones?  They always seemed to be airing the black and white episodes.  I also always thought that Darrin #2 lacked pizzazz and Darrin #1 was better.  I also preferred Mrs. Kravitz #1 to Mrs. Kravitz #2 because #1 was crazier.     

• Like 1

I also always thought that Darrin #2 lacked pizzazz and Darrin #1 was better.  I also preferred Mrs. Kravitz #1 to Mrs. Kravitz #2 because #1 was crazier.     

Dick York was a fantastic Darrin. I think he was adorably cute (Tobey Maguire lookalike?) and no one can beat his buggy-eyed stupor face. I love how **** he was, it certainly makes me laugh.

Dick Sargent....well that's the jump-the-shark moment for me. There was more Serena, Samantha's clothes got funkier, but Dick #2 s u c k e d, pun intended.

Both Mrs Kravitz' were good, only the first one had a funnier face (she was also in ON THE TOWN as the ugly girlfriend, poor thing) She died after season one or two, I think.

I have 2 BEWITCHED icons on my computer desktop: Darrin's **** face for a "Random C r a p" folder, and Serena's face reflected in a mirror for "Soo's Stuff" folder. Any flowing multicolored dress in my closet is referred to as an "Endora dress". Maybe I should start wearing eye make up hers to complete the picture.

• Like 2

I liked both of the "magic" shows.  'Jeannie' a little moreso, because it was wacky.  I always felt like if Jeannie truly wanted to be free, Major Nelson would free her--and would end up missing her even though she drives him crazy.  Does anyone know if Major Nelson uses all three of his wishes?  I know he uses one to get off the desert island after he finds Jeannie.  I did think the show jumped the shark when Major Nelson and Jeannie got married.  I did not like that plot point.

Holden and Tiki, I agree with your stances on Samantha.  I still think Darrin was bonkers though for wanting to dissuade her from using her powers.  Plus, she always uses her powers! Otherwise, why watch a half hour show where no magic happens? I loved the episodes when Samantha's relatives would turn Darrin into things.  I like the one episode where they turn Darrin into a little kid.

I think I have seen all of the black and white episodes of Bewitched but not as many of the color ones.  Did Nick at Nite show the color ones?  They always seemed to be airing the black and white episodes.  I also always thought that Darrin #2 lacked pizzazz and Darrin #1 was better.  I also preferred Mrs. Kravitz #1 to Mrs. Kravitz #2 because #1 was crazier.     

Nick At Nite starting airing the color episodes of BEWITCHED (Seasons 3 through 8) in 1998.

At that time they had a "Duelinng Darrins" promo where you could call and vote for your favorite Darrin.

Before then the color episodes were aired on WOR in the mornings. I used to videotape them. They may have also aired on TBS.

I liked both Dick York and DIck Sargent.

Dick York was more spazzy and yelled more, while Dick Sargent was more sarcastic. 

Dick Sargent was actually supposed to play Darrin from the beginning, but he had an obligation that he was not able to get out of.

When Dick York left the show after Season 5 for medical reasons (back problems), Dick Sargent was available and took over the part.

I preferred the 1st Gladys Kravitz --- Alice Pearce. She was wackier and also I think she was more sympathetic. 

Sandra Gould played Gladys a little nastier, like she was on a mission to expose the witches so I didn't have as much sympathy for the mental torment she suffered.

Now that I have all 8 seasons on DVD, I see moments that were cut from the syndicated airings to make room for more commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BJIdR9M3U

• Like 1

Nick At Nite starting airing the color episodes of BEWITCHED (Seasons 3 through 8) in 1998.

At that time they had a "Duelinng Darrins" promo where you could call and vote for your favorite Darrin.

Before then the color episodes were aired on WOR in the mornings. I used to videotape them. They may have also aired on TBS.

I liked both Dick York and DIck Sargent.

Dick York was more spazzy and yelled more, while Dick Sargent was more sarcastic. 

Dick Sargent was actually supposed to play Darrin from the beginning, but he had an obligation that he was not able to get out of.

When Dick York left the show after Season 5 for medical reasons (back problems), Dick Sargent was available and took over the part.

I preferred the 1st Gladys Kravitz --- Alice Pearce. She was wackier and also I think she was more sympathetic. 

Sandra Gould played Gladys a little nastier, like she was on a mission to expose the witches so I didn't have as much sympathy for the mental torment she suffered.

Now that I have all 8 seasons on DVD, I see moments that were cut from the syndicated airings to make room for more commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BJIdR9M3U

You're right Holden! I remember the Dueling Darrins now.  The video you posted brings it all back to me. 

Remember the Jeannie vs. Samantha battle?

Also remember the "Chachinated? or de-Chachinated?" Happy Days marathon? For the record, I prefer my Happy Days de-Chachinated.  Chachi "Wa Wa Wa" Arcola was annoying.

• Like 1

Chachi "Wa Wa Wa" Arcola was annoying.

I hated when he said "Wa Wa Wa", but when Scott Baio got older I was quite sweet on him. He was my dream guy. ;)

I think he and Erin Moran dated in real life.

• Like 1

I hated when he said "Wa Wa Wa", but when Scott Baio got older I was quite sweet on him. He was my dream guy. ;)

Hmm.  Interesting.

Good thing he got away from Moran.  Have you seen what she looks like lately? Yikes! Though perhaps if she'd have stayed with Baio, she wouldn't have turned out how she did.  One thing I'll say for Baio, he seems to have turned out to be a decent guy--even if he stars in one of the Nick-at-Nite original programs that was created for the new Nick at Nite that ruined my beloved 1990s Nick at Nite.

I always enjoyed Charles in Charge, though I thought it was strange that high school kids needed a babysitter.

"...Charles in Charge of my days and my nights.  Charles in Charge of my wrongs and my rights... I want! I want! I want Charles in Charge of me..."

I think the 1980s was the last era of truly great television theme songs.

• Like 1

Okay about Happy Days.  When Ritchie and Ralph Malph left the show, why was Potsie still there?  What was the point of his character at that point? 

YES! Great point Holden!

I did find it satisfying when she "saw" something and no one else did, heh.

Amazing anyone could "like" my post, when the word "s p a s t i c" is blocked out to describe Dick York. Huh? How can that word be offensive?

Well, I just got in season 1 of MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. I barely recall the introductory episode except for her "interview" with Lou Grant. All the charactors were introduced and I was struck by how gorgeous Valerie Harper was and how incredibly funny Cloris Leachman was. I had forgotten all about Bess, her daughter-terrific child actress.

Mary was really the straight man here, but done so so well.

And ohmigod-the CLOTHING! Evan Picone clothing (of Robert Evans fame) which I wore in that era too-still have a few key pieces. What ever happened to fashion?  :(

Episode 2 (I'm A Ma'am) was revelatory for Mary's age (30) and typical dating experience. I had guys like Howard in my life and it was so fun to see Mary dodge his every attempt to touch her.

Funniest line was when Rhoda's "date" (a couple!) took Howard's camera to take a picture and the film fell out! Howard stuffed the film under his coat to protect it from the light and when the guy apologised he said, "That's OK, it was only shots of a total solar eclipse"

Ok well I thought it was funny.

• Like 2

Okay about Happy Days.  When Ritchie and Ralph Malph left the show, why was Potsie still there?  What was the point of his character at that point? 

What was the point of his character, ever?   ;)

(I watched Happy Days during its original run - we little kids were crazy about The Fonz - but I don't think the series aged very well, at least for me.)

• Like 1

I always enjoyed Charles in Charge, though I thought it was strange that high school kids needed a babysitter.

"...Charles in Charge of my days and my nights.  Charles in Charge of my wrongs and my rights... I want! I want! I want Charles in Charge of me..."

I think the 1980s was the last era of truly great television theme songs.

I read this post very early in the morning and then I couldn't get that theme song out of my head!  LOL.  It's definitely an earworm...

Oh no, there it goes again!

• Like 1

You're right Holden! I remember the Dueling Darrins now.  The video you posted brings it all back to me. 

Remember the Jeannie vs. Samantha battle?

Also remember the "Chachinated? or de-Chachinated?" Happy Days marathon? For the record, I prefer my Happy Days de-Chachinated.  Chachi "Wa Wa Wa" Arcola was annoying.

I could never get into HAPPY DAYS with or without Chachi.

But I love CHARLES IN CHARGE with Scott Baio. 

I do remember the Jeannie vs. Samantha call-in battle.

I think Samantha won, but I'm not 100% certain.