Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

Lol.  Norman Fell surprisingly shows up in a lot of 1960s films.  He always looks and acts the same.  He's in the Debbie Reynolds/Tony Curtis film, The Rat Race.  I remember thinking: "Oh look. Mr. Roper showed up to fix Debbie's phone." 

I would watch Three's Company when it was on (I cannot remember if it was ever part of the Nick-at-Nite lineup, I know it was on TVLand.  I cannot remember if it was one of the shows that started on Nick-at-Nite but moved to TVLand) because I think it was on in-between shows that I regularly watched.  My favorite episodes were the Mr. Furley ones--he had the greatest wardrobe!

THREE'S COMPANY was on Nick At Nite before airing on TVLand.

Here's one of the promos that used to air. (The video clip also includes an ad for the movie MEET THE PARENTS.)

I also loved Mr. Furley!

tumblr_m53uhySvHK1qaqcj5o1_250.gif

• Like 1

THREE'S COMPANY was on Nick At Nite before airing on TVLand.

Here's one of the promos that used to air. (The video clip also includes an ad for the movie MEET THE PARENTS.)

I also loved Mr. Furley!

tumblr_m53uhySvHK1qaqcj5o1_250.gif

Okay it's coming back to me. I remember the "3 Blonde Mates," sung to the tune of "Three Blind Mice" (or "Hot Cross Buns," same music).

The second blond was annoying. I didn't mind the last one. I liked her because she was smarter.

Speedy, I just finished watching "Lucy Goes to the Hospital." I should have put this episode on my list of very favorites of I Love Lucy, earlier in this thread. I think it has more laugh out loud moments than a lot of eps, which is saying a lot! The reactions are exaggerated for comic effect, but the premise is real. And Ricky's reactions, especially at the end, were poignant because Lucille Ball was expecting, etc.

• Like 1

Speedy, I just finished watching "Lucy Goes to the Hospital." I should have put this episode on my list of very favorites of I Love Lucy, earlier in this thread. I think it has more laugh out loud moments than a lot of eps, which is saying a lot! The reactions are exaggerated for comic effect, but the premise is real. And Ricky's reactions, especially at the end, were poignant because Lucille Ball was expecting, etc.

I love that episode! Of course, I love all the episodes (I guess there are some I love less). For some reason I always crack up when Ethel calls the doctor, says the line is busy, she hands the phone to Ricky who repeats "the line is busy" into the phone.

So many hilarious moments! The best is when, after the careful rehearsals, Lucy comes out and says, "Ricky, this is it!" and pure pandemonium breaks loose.

• Like 1

So many hilarious moments! The best is when, after the careful rehearsals, Lucy comes out and says, "Ricky, this is it!" and pure pandemonium breaks loose.

I always laugh when Ricky is pacing back and forth in the waiting room in his full voodoo regalia and as he has his back turned to the window, a nurse comes in holding towels.  When Ricky turns around, still looking at the floor, the nurse sees him, freaks out, throws the towels up in the air and runs out.  Ricky has no idea he scared this poor woman to death.

• Like 1

For all my Lucy fans:

On 5/22, CBS is going to air another of their colorized I Love Lucy specials.  They usually colorize two episodes to make an hour long special.  This time they've colorized the two-episode arc involving Lucy, Grauman's Chinese Theatre and John Wayne.  My only complaint about these specials are that they aren't the unedited versions, they have segments edited out.  I noticed this last year when they colorized the "L.A. at Last!" episode.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/CBS-to-Present-All-New-I-LOVE-LUCY-Superstar-Special-522-20160421

• Like 1

I always laugh when Ricky is pacing back and forth in the waiting room in his full voodoo regalia and as he has his back turned to the window, a nurse comes in holding towels.  When Ricky turns around, still looking at the floor, the nurse sees him, freaks out, throws the towels up in the air and runs out.  Ricky has no idea he scared this poor woman to death.

Or:

After Lucy goes through the apartment door on the way to the hospital, the next "chapter" opens and you see the hospital for the first time.  Lucy walks in, visibly resigned, carrying her suitcase.  Ricky is the one being wheeled in by the nurse, in a total state of nervous collapse, LOL...

• Like 1

Or:

After Lucy goes through the apartment door on the way to the hospital, the next "chapter" opens and you see the hospital for the first time.  Lucy walks in, visibly resigned, carrying her suitcase.  Ricky is the one being wheeled in by the nurse, in a total state of nervous collapse, LOL...

Lol. I know. That poor man having to deal with the stress of pregnancy.

I love the other father in the waiting room, the father of 6 girls. The nurse comes in all excited. The man thinks: "finally a boy!" The nurse says, "no" then makes him turn around and face the nursery window. Three nurses hold up three babies.

"Nine girls!" The man says with complete disdain. Lol.

• Like 1

Lol. I know. That poor man having to deal with the stress of pregnancy.

I love the other father in the waiting room, the father of 6 girls. The nurse comes in all excited. The man thinks: "finally a boy!" The nurse says, "no" then makes him turn around and face the nursery window. Three nurses hold up three babies.

"Nine girls!" The man says with complete disdain. Lol.

Charles Lane!  Lucille Ball must have loved working with him.  He was in one other episode of ILL, and he was Mr. Barnsdahl in "The Lucy Show" (but I'm sure you've known all about this for years...) ;)

Charles Lane!  Lucille Ball must have loved working with him.  He was in one other episode of ILL, and he was Mr. Barnsdahl in "The Lucy Show" (but I'm sure you've known all about this for years...) ;)

Yes. He's in a few episodes of ILL.

Aside from being the expectant father, he's also holding auditions in the episode where Lucy ends up in a knife throwing act, he's the Ricardos' business manager in the episode where Ricky thinks Lucy's playing the stock market, and he's also the manager of the Passport office when Lucy comes in there all cracked out on seasick meds.

• Like 2

"Hey, wait for me!"

• Like 3

27 years ago today, Lucille Ball passed away at the age of 77.

She may be gone, but she'll never be forgotten.

Rest in peace Lucy!

tumblr_n4n7zqqykx1sno1suo4_250.gif

• Like 4

I should have posted this yesterday:

But April 30 was Cloris Leachman's 90th Birthday.  In the TV world, Leachman is probably best known as Phyllis Lindstrom, Mary Richards' hilarious, snobby, pretentious, yet completely out of touch landlady/friend.  She was constantly patronizing to Mary, especially when an issue came up that related to being a wife and/or mother--Mary of course, was neither.  Phyllis made sure to remind Mary of this at any opportunity she got.  She and Rhoda were "frenemies" and constantly exchanged hilarious, sharp tongued jabs with each other.  Phyllis was completely unsympathetic, except for when she found out that Lars was having an affair with Sue Ann.

My favorite Phyllis moments:

-In "Rhoda the Beautiful," Rhoda and Mary look for a dress for Rhoda's pageant.  Phyllis meanwhile manages to make Rhoda's pageant dress drama about her and reminisces about performing in a talent show.  She sings "10 Cents a Dance" while Rhoda and Mary wander around the room.

-"The Lars Affair" has two funny moments: First, Phyllis bakes a pie for Lars in an attempt to compete with Sue Ann.  "These hands, hands that once touched the notes of Chopin... this is what that woman has driven me to to save my marriage--COOKING A DAMN PIE!" Second, Phyllis decides to confront Sue Ann on the set of her show, Sue Ann warns her to be quiet, she's cooking a souffle.  Phyllis goes up to Sue Ann's stove and purposely opens and slams the oven lid.  Sue Ann, dismayed, retrieves her chocolate souffle from the oven, "what did this little chocolate souffle ever do to you?" she says.

-"My Brother's Keeper," completely sick to her stomach over the idea of her brother, Ben,  spending time with Rhoda and coming to the conclusion that they must be falling in love and Rhoda could one day become ::gasp:: her sister-in-law, Phyllis makes a scene at Mary's party.  She confronts Rhoda, and Rhoda tells her she's not interested in Phyllis' brother--"He's not my type," she says.  Upset, Phyllis starts defending Ben by stating all his attributes: "He's attractive, he's successful, he's single!"  Then Rhoda lets the bomb drop: "He's gay."  "I'm so relieved!" Phyllis says.  

• Like 1

"The Lars Affair" has two funny moments: First, Phyllis bakes a pie for Lars in an attempt to compete with Sue Ann.  "These hands, hands that once touched the notes of Chopin... this is what that woman has driven me to to save my marriage--COOKING A DAMN PIE!" Second, Phyllis decides to confront Sue Ann on the set of her show, Sue Ann warns her to be quiet, she's cooking a souffle.  Phyllis goes up to Sue Ann's stove and purposely opens and slams the oven lid.  Sue Ann, dismayed, retrieves her chocolate souffle from the oven, "what did this little chocolate souffle ever do to you?" she says.

"The Lars Affair"  may be my favorite episode of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOw.

It's certainly one of my favorites.

Cloris Leachman is in top form here.

I love the moments that you mentioned, speedracer.

Other favorites of mine:

Phyllis's reaction when tastes a bit of the pie she made. First we see it in her face and then (hilarious!) the way she pushes the pie away

Her comment when Rhoda compliments the pie: "I've become such an object of pity hat even Rhoda is kind."

The bee speech ending with "All in all not a bad system."

• Like 1

Do we ever know how Phyllis and Mary were acquainted? In the first episode when Mary moves into her apartment (Apt D), she already knows Phyllis.  I imagine that Phyllis hooked Mary up with the apartment after Mary broke off her engagement.  Since we learn that Phyllis and Lars are the landlords I believe sometime in the second season, I will presume that Phyllis was the landlord at this time too, which makes sense how she was so easily able to get Mary the apartment.  But do we ever learn how Mary knew Phyllis? It seems unlikely that they'd know each other from school, since I always thought that Phyllis was at least a decade older than Mary and Rhoda.  

Do we ever know how Phyllis and Mary were acquainted? In the first episode when Mary moves into her apartment (Apt D), she already knows Phyllis.  I imagine that Phyllis hooked Mary up with the apartment after Mary broke off her engagement.  Since we learn that Phyllis and Lars are the landlords I believe sometime in the second season, I will presume that Phyllis was the landlord at this time too, which makes sense how she was so easily able to get Mary the apartment.  But do we ever learn how Mary knew Phyllis? It seems unlikely that they'd know each other from school, since I always thought that Phyllis was at least a decade older than Mary and Rhoda.  

Yes, at some point we learn that Phyllis and Lars manage the building for the owner ---- who is never shown. (Lars is also never shown.) 

In the episode "My Brother's Keeper," from Season 3, Phyllis's brother Ben asks Mary how she met Phyllis, speculating that  they met in college when Mary was a freshman and Phyllis was a senior. Mary tells him that they met after that, but she does not elaborate.

In "Menage-A-Phyllis" (hilarious title!) from Season 5, Phyllis reveals her age to Mary for the first time: she's 43. Mary is 34.

• Like 1

Yes, at some point we learn that Phyllis and Lars manage the building for the owner ---- who is never shown. (Lars is also never shown.) 

In the episode "My Brother's Keeper," from Season 3, Phyllis's brother Ben asks Mary how she met Phyllis, speculating that  they met in college when Mary was a freshman and Phyllis was a senior. Mary tells him that they met after that, but she does not elaborate.

In "Menage-A-Phyllis" (hilarious title!) from Season 5, Phyllis reveals her age to Mary for the first time: she's 43. Mary is 34.

I was right then that Phyllis is about 10 years older than Mary.  I also figured that since she already had a pre-teen daughter.  I think Bess is like 11-12 in the beginning and I imagine by her last appearance, she's more like 15-16. 

Maybe Phyllis was a teacher at the school! Lol.  Doesn't she say in one episode that she had a Masters Degree?

• Like 1

I was right then that Phyllis is about 10 years older than Mary.  I also figured that since she already had a pre-teen daughter.  I think Bess is like 11-12 in the beginning and I imagine by her last appearance, she's more like 15-16. 

Maybe Phyllis was a teacher at the school! Lol.  Doesn't she say in one episode that she had a Masters Degree?

Yes, in the Season 1 episode "Assistant Wanted: Female," Phyllis notes that it's funny that she's working as Mary's assistant at WJM, when she (Phyllis) has a master's degree while Mary left college after 2 years.

Before her short-lived position as Mary's assistant (or "co-worker" as she insists on being referred to), Phyllis had been helping Lars at his dermatology office due to some staffing issues, but Lars let her go because once when he was running late, she treated a few patients! 

• Like 2

I had always thought Phyllis and Lars owned the mansion where Mary and Rhoda rent their apartments.  I couldn't figure out why a Dermatologist would even need the money to be managing a building; all the ones I knew drove Mercedes.  In any event, the MTM producers didn't give much useful background to Phyllis and Lars, her prickliness was enough to keep the plot moving.

Here's Mary's "house" now, recently on the market for $2 million.

http://hookedonhouses.net/2013/01/07/the-mary-tyler-moore-show-house-for-sale-in-minneapolis/

Late addition:

Here's some background on Mary's apartment:

http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/07/05/mary-richards-apartment-on-the-mary-tyler-moore-show/

• Like 2

I had always thought Phyllis and Lars owned the mansion where Mary and Rhoda rent their apartments.  I couldn't figure out why a Dermatologist would even need the money to be managing a building; all the ones I knew drove Mercedes.  In any event, the MTM producers didn't give much useful background to Phyllis and Lars, her prickliness was enough to keep the plot moving.

In the Season 5 episode "Phyllis Whips Inflation," Phyllis ends up looking for a job to help ends meet in the Lindstrom household since they lost money on the stock market and Lars's dermatology practice has been hit hard by the recession. She tells Mary: "If people need brain surgery no matter how trivial, they find the money somehow.  If people get a rash, they just scratch till times get better."

The following year, Lars dies unexpectedly leaving Phyllis with barely enough to pay for his funeral and she later learns that he had let his life insurance policy lapse. This information is revealed in the introductory scene of the first episode of the spin-off series PHYLLIS, which takes place at the office of the insurance company.

• Like 2

Here's Mary's "house" now, recently on the market for $2 million.

http://hookedonhouses.net/2013/01/07/the-mary-tyler-moore-show-house-for-sale-in-minneapolis/

Late addition:

Here's some background on Mary's apartment:

http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/07/05/mary-richards-apartment-on-the-mary-tyler-moore-show/

If I had 3 million or so, I'd buy the house.  Lol.  I've seen the house in person probably 15 or so years ago (maybe more!) in Minneapolis.  It was during my Nick at Nite years and my grandma (my relatives live in Bloomington and Maple Grove in the Minneapolis area) drove us past the MTM house.  It was gorgeous.  I think you can also see the house from one of the freeways when you're driving in the city.  

I never thought too much about Lars needing income from an apartment building (or why he'd even live in an apartment for that matter, or heck, why does Phyllis live in an apartment.  Her materialistic ways makes her seem like she'd insist on some grand, opulent home).  However, you do raise a good point.  Maybe Lars wasn't a very good dermatologist and didn't have very many clients.  Lol. 

• Like 1

In the Season 5 episode "Phyllis Whips Inflation," Phyllis ends up looking for a job to help ends meet in the Lindstrom household since they lost money on the stock market and Lars's dermatology practice has been hit hard by the recession. She tells Mary: "If people need brain surgery no matter how trivial, they find the money somehow.  If people get a rash, they just scratch till times get better."

The following year, Lars dies unexpectedly leaving Phyllis with barely enough to pay for his funeral and she later learns that he had let his life insurance policy lapse. This information is revealed in the introductory scene of the first episode of the spin-off series PHYLLIS, which takes place at the office of the insurance company.

Thanks, Holden, you and Speedy have gotten me up to speed on this.  I am going to look up that episode because the dialog looks Great!. LOL  ---

Funny, I remember Chuckles the Clown's  death so well  (LOL again) but poor Lars kicks the bucket in relative anonymity!   What a convoluted character we never saw.  

My favorite unseen character is Maris, Niles Crane's wife, in Frasier.  But  that's for another season. 

• Like 2

I never saw the "Phyllis" show. It doesn't seem to get the attention and acclaim that Mary and Rhoda did. Perhaps it's because of the untimely tragic death of Barbara Colby??

I don't think Lars dies in MTM, but I believe Phyllis mentions it in the last episode when she and Rhoda visit Mary.

What did you guys think of Mary's second apartment?