Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

I never saw the "Phyllis" show. It doesn't seem to get the attention and acclaim that Mary and Rhoda did. Perhaps it's because of the untimely tragic death of Barbara Colby??

I don't think Lars dies in MTM, but I believe Phyllis mentions it in the last episode when she and Rhoda visit Mary.

What did you guys think of Mary's second apartment?

I recorded PHYLLIS when it aired on Nick At Nite and/or TVLand in the 1990s. As I recall it aired in the wee hours of the morning.

I think I recorded every episode ---the show only had 2 seasons-----but ,of course, they were the syndicated versions that were cut to make room for more commercials  . . .and they were recorded on VHS tape.

I agree that PHYLLIS was an underrated show that was "before its time": a comedy with an unsympathetic central character.

Later, there would be CHEERS (which was created by the head writers of PHYLLIS) and SEINFELD, two popular series with unsympathetic lead characters (for the SEINFELD leads unsympathetic is an understatement!) 

Right, Lars's death did not occur on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. It was revealed in the introductory scene of the first episode of PHYLLIS.  Phyllis is at the office of the insurance company in Minneapolis three weeks after Lars's death, trying to find out why she has not yet received any of his death benefits. "What does he have to do to qualify?" she asks.

I didn't think Mary's second apartment -- the one in the high rise building --- had the charm of her studio apartment from the first five seasons.

Someone I know who used to live in Minneapolis told me that the high-rise that appears in the exterior shots on the THE MTM SHOW burned down.

• Like 2

I recorded PHYLLIS when it aired on Nick At Nite and/or TVLand in the 1990s. As I recall it aired in the wee hours of the morning.

I think I recorded every episode ---the show only had 2 seasons-----but ,of course, they were the syndicated versions that were cut to make room for more commercials  . . .and they were recorded on VHS tape.

I agree that PHYLLIS was an underrated show that was "before its time": a comedy with an unsympathetic central character.

Later, there would be CHEERS (which was created by the head writers of PHYLLIS) and SEINFELD, two popular series with unsympathetic lead characters (for the SEINFELD leads unsympathetic is an understatement!) 

Right, Lars's death did not occur on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. It was revealed in the introductory scene of the first episode of PHYLLIS.  Phyllis is at the office of the insurance company in Minneapolis three weeks after Lars's death, trying to find out why she has not yet received any of his death benefits. "What does he have to do to qualify?" she asks.

I didn't think Mary's second apartment -- the one in the high rise building --- had the charm of her studio apartment from the first five seasons.

Someone I know who used to live in Minneapolis told me that the high-rise that appears in the exterior shots on the THE MTM SHOW burned down.

Interesting.  Phyllis must have overlapped the ending of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, because I'm pretty sure Phyllis mentions Lars' death on the last episode when she sees Mary.  

I also agree about Mary's second apartment.  She had probably the greatest studio apartment ever--and it was enormous! Did anyone love the stained glass shade/window that she pulled down to block off the kitchen from the living room as much as I did?  The kitchen was dinky, but it was so cool.  I didn't even mind the shag carpeting.  

What I did like about the second apartment was that Mary had her own bedroom--it seemed a little better for her than sleeping on the hide-a-way bed in the middle of the living room. Her kitchen in the second apartment was so ugly.  I also always felt that Mary's blue coffee table looked like it was made out of cardboard.  

Remember the episode when Mary and Rhoda visit that young women's clothing shop ("Shot Down in Ecuador, Jr" is what I think it's called.  Something ridiculous like that) so that Mary can find something "young and hip" to wear to her younger boyfriend's party, and the clothes are ridiculous? Like those cropped (but flared) jeans with the huge patches on them? 

• Like 1

I never thought too much about Lars needing income from an apartment building (or why he'd even live in an apartment for that matter, or heck, why does Phyllis live in an apartment.  Her materialistic ways makes her seem like she'd insist on some grand, opulent home).

I always viewed the Lindstrom house as opulent....a big Queen Anne Victorian with a wraparound porch & turrets. My impression was they broke it up into apartments to absolve Phyllis of major housework-cleaning three floors of 'house' is too much work (I know)

Renting rooms is a novelty for Phyllis; she's helping her friends, making some play money on the side and mostly, occupying otherwise wasted space.

Count me in liking Mary's apartment at Phyllis's better. Sleeping in a hide-a-bed and that teeny kitchen make her seem like one of us, struggling to make a modest life for yourself. 

• Like 1

I never thought too much about Lars needing income from an apartment building (or why he'd even live in an apartment for that matter, or heck, why does Phyllis live in an apartment.  Her materialistic ways makes her seem like she'd insist on some grand, opulent home).

I always viewed the Lindstrom house as opulent....a big Queen Anne Victorian with a wraparound porch & turrets. My impression was they broke it up into apartments to absolve Phyllis of major housework-cleaning three floors of 'house' is too much work (I know)

Renting rooms is a novelty for Phyllis; she's helping her friends, making some play money on the side and mostly, occupying otherwise wasted space.

Count me in liking Mary's apartment at Phyllis's better. Sleeping in a hide-a-bed and that teeny kitchen make her seem like one of us, struggling to make a modest life for yourself. 

Phyllis and Lars didn't own the house.  Phyllis managed the building for the house's owner, who was never seen. 

Phyllis and Lars were tenants just like Mary and Rhoda were.

The Lindstrom's apartment was shown in few episodes. It was noticeably larger than Mary's.

Rhoda seemed to live in the attic!   

• Like 1

Phyllis and Lars didn't own the house.  Phyllis managed the building for the house's owner, who was never seen. 

Wow the detailed things you learn on this message board! Amazing!

I'm binge-watching MTM show and just LOVE it! The charactors are so great, I especially love Cloris Leachman as Phyllis-what an incredible actress/comedienne. And whoever was the hairstylist....my goodness-what a perfect "fussy" big hair piece they gave Phyllis!

And although Valerie Harper was supposed to be the ugly duckling, there is no doubt she was a stunner. I love that Ed Asner is supposed to be an older father figure to Mary and in retrospect he looks about 30 years old himself.

And the clothes are dead on what real people really wore in the time period. How I remember the ribbed sweaters with the big loop ring zippers!

• Like 1

I was doing my usual of browsing through clamba.blogspot.com this morning and I found this article on Rhoda:

https://aurorasginjoint.com/2016/05/02/rhoda-etc/

Oddly enough, I saw this same blog today, and it now features "I Love Lucy".  Just a heads-up to you know who around here. ;)

https://aurorasginjoint.com/2016/05/06/friday-foto-follies-i-love-lucy/

• Like 1

I'm binge-watching MTM show and just LOVE it! The charactors are so great, I especially love Cloris Leachman as Phyllis-what an incredible actress/comedienne. And whoever was the hairstylist....my goodness-what a perfect "fussy" big hair piece they gave Phyllis!

And although Valerie Harper was supposed to be the ugly duckling, there is no doubt she was a stunner. I love that Ed Asner is supposed to be an older father figure to Mary and in retrospect he looks about 30 years old himself.

And the clothes are dead on what real people really wore in the time period. How I remember the **** sweaters with the big loop ring zippers!

Im glad you're watching MTM :-) I have the whole series on DVD, and I never tire of it. It has some of the best sitcom writing and one of the all-time greatest casts ever. Even though it's Mary Tyler Moore's show, she allowed every character to have a spotlight and have a detailed back story. It's nice to see no ego involved.

And the clothes are dead on what real people really wore in the time period. How I remember the **** sweaters with the big loop ring zippers!

I wonder what is bleeped here.

• Like 1

I was doing my usual of browsing through clamba.blogspot.com this morning and I found this article on Rhoda:

That was a wonderful article about Rhoda and Valerie Harper! Thanks for sharing it.  Thanks for also mentioning "clamba."  I had no idea that this site even existed!

My favorite part so far is the interview on the front page:

Q: What would you say to people who say they don't like classic films?

A: People who say they don't like classic films should be kicked in the teeth.

Lol!

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I saw this same blog today, and it now features "I Love Lucy".  Just a heads-up to you know who around here. ;)

https://aurorasginjoint.com/2016/05/06/friday-foto-follies-i-love-lucy/

I loved this article too! There were so many wonderful pictures as well--most of which I'd seen before, but there were a few that were new to me :-) 

That was a wonderful article about Rhoda and Valerie Harper! Thanks for sharing it. Thanks for also mentioning "clamba." I had no idea that this site even existed!

It's a great site - a veritable mothership of classic movie blogs. Scan down the list to the right and pick your choice!

I regularly follow the Carole & Co. blog (run by the guy who used to post on this board as VP19), the Clark Gable site and, relatedly, the blog by Robert Matzen who wrote a fantastic book on Lombard. I read others depending on the subject they're writing about.

• Like 1

There were so many wonderful pictures as well--there were a few that were new to me :-)

Wow! Well then, mission accomplished! ;)

• Like 1

Thanks, Eugenia, for sharing this wonderful article from Aurora's ONCE UPON A SCREEN blog about the character of Rhoda Morgenstern and thank you to speedracer for bringing Eugenia's post to my attention.

So often when I read blogs and articles about TV shows and movies that I know well, I am annoyed by the inaccuracies that I find, but Aurora knows her stuff, even referencing specific episode tiles from THE MARY TYLER MOORE (and what season they're from).

I especially like that Aurora included a section on Rhoda and Phyllis.

Like Aurora, I also loved Rhoda's "etc" wall art, which I thought contrasted nicely with Mary's "M."

• Like 1

Thanks, Eugenia, for sharing this wonderful article from Aurora's ONCE UPON A SCREEN blog about the character of Rhoda Morgenstern and thank you to speedracer for bringing Eugenia's post to my attention.

So often when I read blogs and articles about TV shows and movies that I know well, I am annoyed by the inaccuracies that I find, but Aurora knows her stuff, even referencing specific episode tiles from THE MARY TYLER MOORE (and what season they're from).

I especially like that Aurora included a section on Rhoda and Phyllis.

Like Aurora, I also loved Rhoda's "etc" wall art, which I thought contrasted nicely with Mary's "M."

I would love to find a big brass "K" for my house.  I have the perfect spot for it.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Phyllis must have overlapped the ending of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, because I'm pretty sure Phyllis mentions Lars' death on the last episode when she sees Mary.  

Yes, the first season of PHYLLIS aired the same year as the sixth season of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and the second (and final) season of PHYLLIS aired the same year as the seventh (and final) season of THE MTM SHOW.

Phyllis did mention Lars's death on the last episode of THE MTM SHOW.

It was part of the last exchange between Rhoda and Phyllis.

Lou Grant flew in Rhoda from New York and Phyllis from San Francisco to help cheer up Mary after the entire WJM news team (except for Ted Baxter) were terminated.

When Rhoda asks Phyllis how's Lars, Phyllis says that Lars is dead, to which Rhoda retorts "Same old Lars." 

When Phyllis explains that Lars is actually dead, Rhoda asks why Phyllis never told her before. Phyllis says it was because she thought Rhoda would come to the funeral.

Phyllis then asks Rhoda how's Joe.

Rhoda says that she and Joe split up, to which Phyllis responds, smiling, "I know."

And the clothes are dead on what real people really wore in the time period. How I remember the **** sweaters with the big loop ring zippers!

Believe it or not, r i b b e d sweater!

Big letters for your wall are all the rage right now. Bonus points if you buy enough to actually spell out something. 

I have 4 foot tall neon letters stored up in my attic that spell out D I N E R taken from obviously, an old diner sign. If you hold the ends close enough together they arc and light up right in your hands without a transformer! Spooky! In 15 years I can't figure out where to hang them.

I saw the MTM episode last night with Wes Stern playing a younger guy with a crush on Mary. I lurved him when I was a kid - he certainly was adorable!

• Like 1

Believe it or not, r i b b e d sweater!

I saw the MTM episode last night with Wes Stern playing a younger guy with a crush on Mary. I lurved him when I was a kid - he certainly was adorable!

Thanks for clearing that one up, TikiSoo.

Who knew that word was offensive.

The MTM SHOW episode with Wes Stern is "He's All Yours" from Season 1.

Wes Stern would later play one of Brenda's boyfriends on RHODA. 

I'm forever amazed.

Good thing the subject wasn't corderoy®

Great couple! Who doesn't love  the Morgansterns? I absolutely howl at Nancy Walker as Rhoda's mother.

I think Rhoda definitely gets the greatest zinger lines in season 1 of the MTM Show.

The pretty girl with the wicked sense of humor....they want to pass her off as an ugly duckling, but in reality this type of gal was the MOST popular with the boys. (from personal experience)

I'm forever amazed.

Good thing the subject wasn't corderoy®

Great couple! Who doesn't love  the Morgansterns? I absolutely howl at Nancy Walker as Rhoda's mother.

I think Rhoda definitely gets the greatest zinger lines in season 1 of the MTM Show.

The pretty girl with the wicked sense of humor....they want to pass her off as an ugly duckling, but in reality this type of gal was the MOST popular with the boys. (from personal experience)

I love the Morgenstern family.  Nancy Walker was perfect as the passive aggressive mother.  I love the episode where she tries to be Rhoda's friend, completely driving Rhoda insane.  The funniest part is when Rhoda and Ida go down to WJM to have lunch with Mary.  Ida is meeting Rhoda at the office and she walks in wearing the exact same dress that Rhoda is wearing! Lol.  The end of the episode is funny where Rhoda finally convinces Ida that she needs a mother, not a friend.  Rhoda then enlists her mother to go get rid of some creeper date that won't leave her apartment.  Harold Gould was also awesome as Rhoda's father.  Another episode that I love is when Mary and Rhoda visit NYC to go to Rhoda's sister Debbie's wedding.  Whatever happened to Debbie anyway? She was never seen or heard from again after this episode.  

I always thought that Rhoda was gorgeous--just as pretty as Mary and maybe even prettier in some episodes.

Another MTM character I love is Twinks Tvedt.  

She appears in one of the very early episodes (maybe like the third or fourth episode of the first season) as Twinks when Mary and Rhoda go to the divorced people's club to get free charter flights to Paris.  She's completely bonkers but hilarious.

Later, in I think a second season episode (or maybe a later first season episode), Twinks reappears this time as an acquaintance of Mary's.  I don't think she's supposed to be the same "Twinks" from the divorced people's club.  She and Mary haven't seen each other for 18 years.  They last saw each other as 12-year olds at summer camp.  She is still all involved in camp, despite being 30.  She gets a job as a receptionist at WJM which is how she becomes reacquainted with Mary.  She ends up asking Mary to be her maid of honor in her wedding, despite Mary not really knowing who she is.  Rhoda ends up being roped into being her bridesmaid, even though she's literally only known Rhoda for like 10 minutes.  I can't find a picture, but Mary and Rhoda's dresses are hilarious.  They have hoop skirts, tons of ruffles, tons of bows, a sash, a huge hat, the dresses are hideous. 

• Like 1

Another MTM character I love is Twinks Tvedt.  

She appears in one of the very early episodes (maybe like the third or fourth episode of the first season) as Twinks when Mary and Rhoda go to the divorced people's club to get free charter flights to Paris.  She's completely bonkers but hilarious.

Later, in I think a second season episode (or maybe a later first season episode), Twinks reappears this time as an acquaintance of Mary's.  I don't think she's supposed to be the same "Twinks" from the divorced people's club.  She and Mary haven't seen each other for 18 years.  They last saw each other as 12-year olds at summer camp.  She is still all involved in camp, despite being 30.  She gets a job as a receptionist at WJM which is how she becomes reacquainted with Mary.  She ends up asking Mary to be her maid of honor in her wedding, despite Mary not really knowing who she is.  Rhoda ends up being roped into being her bridesmaid, even though she's literally only known Rhoda for like 10 minutes.  I can't find a picture, but Mary and Rhoda's dresses are hilarious.  They have hoop skirts, tons of ruffles, tons of bows, a sash, a huge hat, the dresses are hideous. 

Yes, the actor who played Twinks (Mary's acquaintance from summer camp) also played a character in the Season 1 episode "Divorce Isn't Everything," where Mary and Rhoda pretend to be divorcees to get the free trips that the club is giving to members.

Her character in that episode is named Sparky though, not Twinks.

I watched "Divorce Isn't Everything" fairly recently and my memory of Twinks must have been strong because I also thought her name was Twinks until she introduced herself as Sparky.

Sparky was always telling the men at the club about her dreams.

There were several actors who played different roles in various episodes throughout the run of THE MTM SHOW.

The same is true for BEWITCHED as well.

It's fun to see how certain actors were "promoted" from mortal to witch/warlock.

Paul Lynde played the very nervous driving instructor Harold Harold before becoming Uncle Arthur starting in Season 2.

Alice Ghostley was an inept mortal maid Naomi before she was cast in the recurring role of Samantha's bumbling witch maid Esmeralda much later in the series. (Esmeralda, we learn, was responsible for making the Tower of Pisa lean.)

Bernard Fox played the mortal witch hunter Osgood Rightmire in the episode "Disappearing Samantha," but later had a recurring role as the warlock Dr. Bombay, Samantha's family witch doctor.

• Like 2

Yes, the actor who played Twinks (Mary's acquaintance from summer camp) also played a character in the Season 1 episode "Divorce Isn't Everything," where Mary and Rhoda pretend to be divorcees to get the free trips that the club is giving to members.

Her character in that episode is named Sparky though, not Twinks.

I watched "Divorce Isn't Everything" fairly recently and my memory of Twinks must have been strong because I also thought her name was Twinks until she introduced herself as Sparky.

Sparky was always telling the men at the club about her dreams.

You're right.  Sparky sounds right.

My favorite part is this part:

SPARKY: "Hi. My name is Francis Franklin, but everybody calls me Sparky.  I don't know why. I guess it's 'cause all my friends say I sparkle and bubble. They say ever since I divorced, I'm like another person, all sparkling. That's why they call me Sparky."  (giggles) "Isn't that crazy?"

RHODA: Yes.

I loved Paul Lynde's driving instructor.  He was hilarious.

Who were all the other witch relatives in the episode where Samantha and her aunts (great aunts?) terrorize one of Durwood's clients, the one who wanted to portray witches with long noses and wearing the typical black gowns with pointy hats?  I remember the funniest part is when they steal all his doorknobs.

There were several actors who played different roles in various episodes throughout the run of THE MTM SHOW.

The same is true for BEWITCHED as well.

It's fun to see how certain actors were "promoted" from mortal to witch/warlock.

Paul Lynde played the very nervous driving instructor Harold Harold before becoming Uncle Arthur starting in Season 2.

Alice Ghostley was an inept mortal maid Naomi before she was cast in the recurring role of Samantha's bumbling witch maid Esmeralda much later in the series. (Esmeralda, we learn, was responsible for making the Tower of Pisa lean.)

Bernard Fox played the mortal witch hunter Osgood Wrightmeyer in the ep[isode "Disappearing Samantha," but later had a recurring role as the warlock Dr. Bombay, Samantha's family witch doctor.

I loved Paul Lynde's driving instructor.  He was hilarious.

Who were all the other witch relatives in the episode where Samantha and her aunts (great aunts?) terrorize one of Durwood's clients, the one who wanted to portray witches with long noses and wearing the typical black gowns with pointy hats?  I remember the funniest part is when they steal all his doorknobs.

The client in that BEWITCHED episode was played by the same actor who played the dentist in the MTM episode "Divorce Isn't Everything"!

It was Samantha's Aunt Clara (who collects doorknobs) and Clara's friends Bertha and Mary who help Samantha haunt the client who wants to perpetuate the stereotype of witches to sell his Halloween candy.

This was the very first Halloween episode of BEWITCHED; it's called "The Witches Are Out."

Reta Shaw, who played Bertha in that episode, would later play Samantha's Aunt Hagatha.

She also played a maid in the movie MARY POPPINS.

tumblr_l9uhriv6YI1qchzcgo1_500.jpg

Reta Shaw

• Like 2