Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Off Topic: Speedracer5's Nick at Nite Thread

267 posts in this topic

The client in that BEWITCHED episode was played by the same actor who played the dentist in the MTM episode "Divorce Isn't Everything"!

It was Samantha's Aunt Clara (who collects doorknobs) and Clara's friends Bertha and Mary who help Samantha haunt the client who wants to perpetuate the stereotype of witches to sell his Halloween candy.

This was the very first Halloween episode of BEWITCHED; it's called "The Witches Are Out."

Reta Shaw, who played Bertha in that episode, would later play Samantha's Aunt Hagatha.

She also played a maid in the movie MARY POPPINS.

tumblr_l9uhriv6YI1qchzcgo1_500.jpg

Reta Shaw

Wow! I love how we linked Bewitched back to MTM! That episode was hilarious.  

Another episode of Bewitched I like is the episode where Samantha and Darrin visit a client of Darrin's (or maybe an old girlfriend of Darrin's?).  She is having a dinner party and she is immediately condescending to Samantha, telling her how adorable she is, how she's so cute, etc.  The hostess is decked out in an evening gown, whereas Samantha is just wearing a modest, simple black dress. Anyway, the hostess continues to make little barbs toward Samantha all evening until finally Samantha can't stand it any longer. She uses her magic and casually causes mayhem for the hostess.  Her hairdo falls apart, her dress breaks, I think she spills her soup or something on her dress.  Nobody knows what's going on, it just looks like the hostess is falling apart--much to Samantha's amusement. 

• Like 1

Another episode of Bewitched I like is the episode where Samantha and Darrin visit a client of Darrin's (or maybe an old girlfriend of Darrin's?).  She is having a dinner party and she is immediately condescending to Samantha, telling her how adorable she is, how she's so cute, etc.  The hostess is decked out in an evening gown, whereas Samantha is just wearing a modest, simple black dress. Anyway, the hostess continues to make little barbs toward Samantha all evening until finally Samantha can't stand it any longer. She uses her magic and casually causes mayhem for the hostess.  Her hairdo falls apart, her dress breaks, I think she spills her soup or something on her dress.  Nobody knows what's going on, it just looks like the hostess is falling apart--much to Samantha's amusement. 

Ah, yes, that is Sheila Sommers, Darrin's snobbish ex-girlfriend She invites Samantha and Darrin to a dinner party shortly after the Stephens's marriage with the express purpose of embarrassing her, making her believe that the formal party is a casual affair so that Samantha arrives very under-dressed.

But, as you said, Samantha can only take so much of Sheila so she lets her have it. The windstorm that Samantha conjures up causes Sheila to lose her wig and part of her dress, revealing her bra ----pretty racy for 1960s television.

The Sheila-Samantha encounter occurs in the last part of the very first episode of BEWITCHED. 

Sheila returns again in the Season 4 episode "Snob In The Grass." When Darrin reminds Samantha what happened the last time that she and Sheila got together, we see a flashback from the first episode. The flashback is in black-and-white since BEWITCHED was filmed in black-and-white during the first season, but the rest of the episode is in color.

We see Sheila again in the episode "If They Never Met" (also from Season 4) when Endora shows Samantha what Darrin's life would have been like if he'd never met Samantha. Endora hopes, of course, that Samantha will see that Darrrin would have been happier without her. But true love prevails.

I could never see how down-to-earth Darrin and snobbish Sheila were ever a couple, but then again I've seen quite a few "mismatched" coupls in real life.

Sheila-bewitched-5676337-447-375.jpg

Nancy Kovacks as Sheila Sommers

• Like 2

Ah, yes, that is Sheila Sommers, Darrin's snobbish ex-girlfriend She invites Samantha and Darrin to a dinner party shortly after the Stephens's marriage with the express purpose of embarrassing her, making her believe that the formal party is a casual affair so that Samantha arrives very under-dressed.

But, as you said, Samantha can only take so much of Sheila so she lets her have it. The windstorm that Samantha conjures up causes Sheila to lose her wig and part of her dress, revealing her bra ----pretty racy for 1960s television.

The Sheila-Samantha encounter occurs in the last part of the very first episode of BEWITCHED. 

Sheila returns again in the Season 4 episode "Snob In The Grass." When Darrin reminds Samantha what happened the last time that she and Sheila got together, we see a flashback from the first episode. The flashback is in black-and-white since BEWITCHED was filmed in black-and-white during the first season, but the rest of the episode is in color.

We see Sheila again in the episode "If They Never Met" (also from Season 4) when Endora shows Samantha what Darrin's life would have been like if he'd never met Samantha. Endora hopes, of course, that Samantha will see that Darrrin would have been happier without her. But true love prevails.

I could never see how down-to-earth Darrin and snobbish Sheila were ever a couple, but then again I've seen quite a few "mismatched" coupls in real life.

Sheila-bewitched-5676337-447-375.jpg

Nancy Kovacks as Sheila Sommers

Yes! I forgot about her bra being shown.  I remember now.

I think Bewitched is one of those shows where I haven't seen all the episodes.  I've seen all the black and white episodes multiple times as I swear those are the only episodes Nick at Nite ever aired.  However, I know they aired the color ones, because I've seen Darrin #1 and Darrin #2 color episodes and the episodes with awesome Cousin Serena. 

I didn't realize that Shelia made multiple appearances, I thought she was a one-time character.

Remember the episode where Endora turns Darrin into a little kid?

• Like 1

Yes! I forgot about her bra being shown.  I remember now.

I think Bewitched is one of those shows where I haven't seen all the episodes.  I've seen all the black and white episodes multiple times as I swear those are the only episodes Nick at Nite ever aired.  However, I know they aired the color ones, because I've seen Darrin #1 and Darrin #2 color episodes and the episodes with awesome Cousin Serena. 

I didn't realize that Shelia made multiple appearances, I thought she was a one-time character.

Remember the episode where Endora turns Darrin into a little kid?

Yes! That is a funny episode.

The boy who played the kid Darrin also played the orphan that Samantha and Darrin took in for Christmas in the episode "A Vision Of Sugar Plums." Samantha takes him to the North Pole to meet Santa Claus.

Nick At Nite originally only aired the black-and-white episodes (Season 1 and 2) of BEWITCHED, but in 1998 they started showing the color episodes (Season 3 - 8) as well. 

So you have all seasons of BEWITCHED on DVD?

• Like 1

Yes! That is a funny episode.

The boy who played the kid Darrin also played the orphan that Samantha and Darrin took in for Christmas in the episode "A Vision Of Sugar Plums." Samantha takes him to the North Pole to meet Santa Claus.

Nick At Nite originally only aired the black-and-white episodes (Season 1 and 2) of BEWITCHED, but in 1998 they started showing the color episodes (Season 3 - 8) as well. 

So you have all seasons of BEWITCHED on DVD?

I have seasons 1-6. I don't have 7 & 8 yet.

I have seasons 1-6. I don't have 7 & 8 yet.

They have a BEWITCHED Complete Series set available now, but I'm glad I purchased the individual season DVD sets because the Complete Series set has the colorized versions of Season 1 and 2, which were filmed in black-and-white.

I love the episodes that were filmed in color (the colors are excellent on the DVDs), but I don't like colorized versions of black-and-white cinematography.

One of the colorized episodes gave Elizabeth Montgomery blue eyes! Wrong!    

• Like 1

They have a BEWITCHED Complete Series set available now, but I'm glad I purchased the individual season DVD sets because the Complete Series set has the colorized versions of Season 1 and 2, which were filmed in black-and-white.

I love the episodes that were filmed in color (the colors are excellent on the DVDs), but I don't like colorized versions of black-and-white cinematography.

One of the colorized episodes gave Elizabeth Montgomery blue eyes! Wrong!    

I have the Mill Creek Bewitched collections, because they were only $10 for two seasons.  However, they haven't released the 7 & 8 set, yet the Complete Series set is out (go figure).  I may have to break down and buy the other season 7 and 8 collections, so that I can finish my collection.

I'm not a fan of colorizing black and white either.  In the last few years or so, CBS has been doing annual I Love Lucy Christmas specials and another special later in the year.  While I do not want to see my beloved I Love Lucy (my absolute favorite television show of all time), colorized, I like watching the specials because I find it interesting to see how they colorize things.  The CBS colorization is actually pretty good, I like that they chose to use a more vintage type color (like Bewitched's 1960s color) instead of trying to make I Love Lucy look modern.  In some poorly colorized pictures of I Love Lucy I've seen, they over saturate Lucy's hair so that it's bright orange.  Then since Desi Arnaz is Latino (though he is still white), they make his skin significantly darker than the other characters, though I imagine that in real life, Arnaz probably just looked tan in comparison to his cast mates.  They also tend to do very bizarre color combinations, like giving Ricky a lime green shirt with a burnt orange suit (like Ricky Ricardo would really put that combo together).  CBS' productions actually look like they've taken time to figure out a close approximation of what color things may have been.

• Like 2

I have the Mill Creek Bewitched collections, because they were only $10 for two seasons.  However, they haven't released the 7 & 8 set, yet the Complete Series set is out (go figure).  I may have to break down and buy the other season 7 and 8 collections, so that I can finish my collection.

I'm not a fan of colorizing black and white either.  In the last few years or so, CBS has been doing annual I Love Lucy Christmas specials and another special later in the year.  While I do not want to see my beloved I Love Lucy (my absolute favorite television show of all time), colorized, I like watching the specials because I find it interesting to see how they colorize things.  The CBS colorization is actually pretty good, I like that they chose to use a more vintage type color (like Bewitched's 1960s color) instead of trying to make I Love Lucy look modern.  In some poorly colorized pictures of I Love Lucy I've seen, they over saturate Lucy's hair so that it's bright orange.  Then since Desi Arnaz is Latino (though he is still white), they make his skin significantly darker than the other characters, though I imagine that in real life, Arnaz probably just looked tan in comparison to his cast mates.  They also tend to do very bizarre color combinations, like giving Ricky a lime green shirt with a burnt orange suit (like Ricky Ricardo would really put that combo together).  CBS' productions actually look like they've taken time to figure out a close approximation of what color things may have been.

I've never seen any of the colorized I LOVE LUCY episodes that CBS has been airing in the last few years but I may look for them to see what the colors look like.

Lucille Ball made sure that the second season of her second series THE LUCY SHOW was filmed in color even though the episodes were originally aired in black-and-white since color television sets were not yet standard. But Lucy knew that the color was on the way and wanted color episodes available for later airings.    

I have the BEWITCHED individual season sets from Sony. 

I remember saving all the sets in my Amazon shopping cart and buying them when they were available at a really good price. I did the same with the MTM SHOW DVDs.

I don't think I realized that Mill Creek was offering 2 season sets of BEWITCHED.

I bought the Mill Creek releases of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN. 

Another company previously sold the cut, syndicated versions of Season 1 and 2. A lot of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN fans were very upset by this. The Mill Creek Season 1 and Season 2 state that the episodes on the DVDs are the uncut, original broadcast versions.

I think an early DVD release of ROSEANNE also had syndicated versions for some seasons, but Mill Creek later released the uncut, original broadcast versions.

• Like 1

I've never seen any of the colorized I LOVE LUCY episodes that CBS has been airing in the last few years but I may look for them to see what the colors look like.

Lucille Ball made sure that the second season of her second series THE LUCY SHOW was filmed in color even though the episodes were originally aired in black-and-white since color television sets were not yet standard. But Lucy knew that the color was on the way and wanted color episodes available for later airings.

I have the BEWITCHED individual season sets from Sony.

I remember saving all the sets in my Amazon shopping cart and buying them when they were available at a really good price. I did the same with the MTM SHOW DVDs.

I don't think I realized that Mill Creek was offering 2 season sets of BEWITCHED.

I bought the Mill Creek releases of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN.

Another company previously sold the cut, syndicated versions of Season 1 and 2. A lot of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN fans were very upset by this. The Mill Creek Season 1 and Season 2 state that the episodes on the DVDs are the uncut, original broadcast versions.

I think an early DVD release of ROSEANNE also had syndicated versions for some seasons, but Mill Creek later released the uncut, original broadcast versions.

The date for this year's annual "I Love Lucy Superstar Special" is this Friday. It was scheduled for Sunday, but CBS changed the date. It will be the 2-episode John Wayne arc. The first episode contains one of my favorite lines from the series: "Excuse me, are you sitting on John Wayne?" "No. She's sitting on Bill Holden."
  • Like 1

Just a heads up! Tonight is the "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special, featuring the 2-episode John Wayne arc--"Lucy Visits Grauman's" and "Lucy and John Wayne."

It's on tonight on CBS at 8:00pm (PST).

• Like 2

Reta Shaw was a favorite.of.mine growing up without ever really knowing her name. I liked her in movies like THE GHOST.AND MR. CHICKEN, and her role.Martha, the maid on the series THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, with Hope Lange as.the widow. She always added the right touch of sarcasm to the situation at hand.

• Like 2

Reta Shaw was a favorite.of.mine growing up without ever really knowing her name. I liked her in movies like THE GHOST.AND MR. CHICKEN, and her role.Martha, the maid on the series THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, with Hope Lange as.the widow. She always added the right touch of sarcasm to the situation at hand.

Reta Shaw is fantastic.  She is also someone I keep seeing in old shows and films without really knowing who she is.  She's in Picnic (I think she's one of the women who helps Rosalind Russell get ready for her elopement) and she also sings a fantastic song in Made in Paris (an otherwise lackluster Ann-Margret film).  For some reason, I mix her up with Verna Felton.  I'm not sure why.  I loved The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.  I can't remember her in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  I have a feeling The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a film I need to re-watch.

Actually, Reta Shaw was in the tv series based on the film TGAMM. Hope Lange played the Gene Tierney role, and Edward Mulcahey (sp?) played the Rex Harrison part. I vaguely remember Charles Nelson Reilly in it also. I ran a few seasons in the late 60s and/or early 70s.

• Like 1

Actually, Reta Shaw was in the tv series based on the film TGAMM. Hope Lange played the Gene Tierney role, and Edward Mulcahey (sp?) played the Rex Harrison part. I vaguely remember Charles Nelson Reilly in it also. I ran a few seasons in the late 60s and/or early 70s.

I didn't know that there was a television version of this film! It must not have run for very long or been a huge hit--otherwise, I'm sure I would have come across it during the infancy of TVLand or something.

I didn't know that there was a television version of this film! It must not have run for very long or been a huge hit--otherwise, I'm sure I would have come across it during the infancy of TVLand or something.

I must've been about 3 or 4 when my aunt, who was babysitting, gathered us to watch a new program. I remember because she said it had a ghost, but wasn't really scary. She also mentioned it was based on a movie she loved. We would wstch it fairly regularly. In my mind, it seems to have been around the time of the tv shows Nanny and the Professor, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, and Family Affair.

• Like 1

I must've been about 3 or 4 when my aunt, who was babysitting, gathered us to watch a new program. I remember because she said it had a ghost, but wasn't really scary. She also mentioned it was based on a movie she loved. We would wstch it fairly regularly. In my mind, it seems to have been around the time of the tv shows Nanny and the Professor, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, and Family Affair.

Arturo, what a sweet memory for you :)

Hope Lange won the Emmy Award for Best Actress in a comedy the 2 years the show was on tv. Problem with the show was the time slot. It started out on NBC but it had MY THREE SONS and THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW as competition in the same time slot. NBC cancelled the show and then ABC picked it up, unfortunately FAMILY AFFAIR was the competition in that time slot, although I loved FAMILY AFFAIR and would have watched THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR more often had it not been up against it.

Hope Lange winning those 2 consecutive Emmys for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir should have saved the show, they should have found a better time slot for the show and it probably would have been on the air for more seasons.

Speedy, I agree with you, Reta Shaw was a very good character actress. She could play mean or nice convincingly. The meanest I think was as the neighbor in the film ALL MINE TOO GIVE and then she could be understanding and nice in POLLYANNA. I can definitely see why you compare Reta to Verna. Verna was also the type of character actress that could be mean as well as nice. Verna's mean characters in I LOVE LUCY were hilarious, and her sweet performance in PICNIC was memorable.

• Like 1

I don't want to pull the topic off-mark, but I have to give a shout out to my favorite and mentioned here in passing, Verna Felton.   Not only was she Dumbo's mom and Cinderella's fairy godmother, (among many others) but she was the charming-or vexing-or bumbling-or humble supporting player who makes the stars shine in The Flintstones, I Love Lucy, the Jack Benny Show, and the a continuing character in December Bride and Pete & Gladys, apparently ancient sit-coms only I remember. lol

Verna_Felton_Flintstones.jpg

• Like 1

I don't want to pull the topic off-mark, but I have to give a shout out to my favorite and mentioned here in passing, Verna Felton.   Not only was she Dumbo's mom and Cinderella's fairy godmother, (among many others) but she was the charming-or vexing-or bumbling-or humble supporting player who makes the stars shine in The Flintstones, I Love Lucy, the Jack Benny Show, and the a continuing character in December Bride and Pete & Gladys, apparently ancient sit-coms only I remember. lol

Verna_Felton_Flintstones.jpg

Count me in Casa I remember those shows as well :) when I was a little girl and stayed home from school, for whatever reason, colds, etc. I use to love watching re-runs of these old shows. I think my favs were My Little Margie and Our Miss Brooks and December Bride. I loved Pete and Gladys and named my goldfish after them ;) do you remember Ann Sothern's shows, both with Don Porter and the Zasu Pitts look-alike Ann Tyrell. They were Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show

• Like 1

Just a heads up! Tonight is the "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special, featuring the 2-episode John Wayne arc--"Lucy Visits Grauman's" and "Lucy and John Wayne."

It's on tonight on CBS at 8:00pm (PST).

I saw the I LOVE LUCY SUPERSTAR SPECIAL. 

I almost forgot about it so I missed the first five minutes or so. I really wanted to see the opening because I wanted to see if the syndicated "heart in satin" opening was used or if it was the original broadcast opening with the animated Lucy and Desi stick figures. (TVLand restored the original animated opening when they aired I LOVE LUCY, replacing the original sponsor logos with "TVLand Presents.")

When I tuned in on Friday, Lucy and Ethel were already outside Grauman's Chinese Theater, with Lucy on the sidewalk by John Wayne's footprints and signature.

The information on the programming guide described the special as being colorized with a "vintage look" and I agree that it was done well, looking like a color movie from the 1950s.

I presume that the syndicated (cut) versions of the episodes were aired since the current standard for commercial time was adhered to, although perhaps the absence of a second opening and closing credits allowed for less cuts.

It's been awhile since I've seen an episode of I LOVE LUCY, and I really enjoyed the special. I think my favorite line was the description of Ethel and Lucy as a "middle-aged dishwater blonde"  and a "frowzy redhead"  in the morning newspaper article about the theft of the John Wayne footprints the previous night.

I also enjoyed hearing the famous "uh-oh" reaction that is heard on the laugh track of many I LOVE LUCY episodes. In the Grauman episode, we hear the "uh-oh" lady when Lucy tries the take the stolen John Wayne cement block from the Mertz's hotel room  to her room and ends up breaking it in the hallway off -camera.

speedracer can probably confirm this, but I think that the "uh-oh" lady was actually Lucille Ball's mother, who was in the studio audience for the filming of most (all?) of the I LOVE LUCY episodes.

The I LOVE LUCY "uh-oh" reaction was recycled on the laugh tracks of later sitcoms, including at least 2 episodes of BEWITCHED from that show's second season.

In "Maid To Order" we hear the distinctive I LOVE LUCY "uh-oh" when Louise Tate calls Darrin on the phone to ask if the Stephens's new maid Naomi can fill in for the Tates' maid for an important dinner. The audience knows that  the inept Naomi was only able to prepare dinner with the help of Samantha's witchcraft, hence the "uh-oh" reaction.

In "Follow That Witch Part 1," the "uh-oh" lady is heard when the Robbins Baby Food executive instructs the detective to "investigate his [Darrin Stephens's] wife." 

• Like 1

Count me in Casa I remember those shows as well :) when I was a little girl and stayed home from school, for whatever reason, colds, etc. I use to love watching re-runs of these old shows. I think my favs were My Little Margie and Our Miss Brooks and December Bride. I loved Pete and Gladys and named my goldfish after them ;) do you remember Ann Sothern's shows, both with Don Porter and the Zasu Pitts look-alike Ann Tyrell. They were Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show

Yes! I do remember and loved Ann Sothern's and Eve Arden's Our Miss Brooks too!  Very fond of Private Secretary and, I guess in my naive sit-com romantic way, I always wanted Peter (Don Porter) to just grab Suzie (Ann)and plant a kiss and profess his passion for her!  Ah, but that's not how they wrote Private Secretary.  At least Connie Brooks finally got her Mr. Boynton (though it took a feature film to do it)  The shows were funny and it's a break that it was about single men and women in in the working world.  

• Like 1

I also enjoyed hearing the famous "uh-oh" reaction that is heard on the laugh track of many I LOVE LUCY episodes.

That's hilarious, Holden... I've noticed that "uh oh" for years. There's another laugh track reaction I've caught as well, on multiple sitcoms, which is a small chuckle and a sound like, "Awww". Maybe it was also included in Lucy.

In the later Burns and Allen shows, there's a repeated reaction of a quiet, "All right!" that can get kind of annoying...

I've also noticed a prop carried over in multiple shows, and even in an old movie, a painting of a boat sailing in the sunset... Once, in a 1930s movie, I saw a not very well known painting that I've owned for years...

Anyway, sorry to get off track, but it was interesting to read that others picked up on the laugh track business. :)

• Like 1

I don't want to pull the topic off-mark, but I have to give a shout out to my favorite and mentioned here in passing, Verna Felton.

I like Verna, too. She was in a Lucy episode as an apartment dweller Lucy tried to sell a vacuum to. I loved Verna's sarcasm and her voice is memorable.

I once had a dream about my grandmother, who came over to the U.S. from Ireland, and while I never knew her she appeared in my dream as Verna Felton, lol!

• Like 2

That's hilarious, Holden... I've noticed that "uh oh" for years. There's another laugh track reaction I've caught as well, on multiple sitcoms, which is a small chuckle and a sound like, "Awww". Maybe it was also included in Lucy.

In the later Burns and Allen shows, there's a repeated reaction of a quiet, "All right!" that can get kind of annoying...

I've also noticed a prop carried over in multiple shows, and even in an old movie, a painting of a boat sailing in the sunset... Once, in a 1930s movie, I saw a not very well known painting that I've owned for years...

Anyway, sorry to get off track, but it was interesting to read that others picked up on the laugh track business. :)

I used to get hung up on looking for hats, that was my odd detail.  Lucy's funky helmet-style pillbox with white chunky lace was one she wore quite a bit:  Her Vita-meata-vegamin episode is ranks up there, it's one of my poopular favorites of them all.  

"Is it gettin' hot in here?"

lucy+does+a+tv+commercial+episode.jpg

Another favorite, her loving-cup model:

i-love-lucy-loving-cup-2.jpg

Covering it all with a chiffon scarf, then getting on the subway, priceless.

• Like 1

I LOVE that line in "Lucy Does a TV Commercial", in all its variations:

"But you know, it's HOT in here!"

My favorite Lucy of all time.

• Like 1

I saw the I LOVE LUCY SUPERSTAR SPECIAL. 

I almost forgot about it so I missed the first five minutes or so. I really wanted to see the opening because I wanted to see if the syndicated "heart in satin" opening was used or if it was the original broadcast opening with the animated Lucy and Desi stick figures. (TVLand restored the original animated opening when they aired I LOVE LUCY, replacing the original sponsor logos with "TVLand Presents.")

When I tuned in on Friday, Lucy and Ethel were already outside Grauman's Chinese Theater, with Lucy on the sidewalk by John Wayne's footprints and signature.

The information on the programming guide described the special as being colorized with a "vintage look" and I agree that it was done well, looking like a color movie from the 1950s.

I presume that the syndicated (cut) versions of the episodes were aired since the current standard for commercial time was adhered to, although perhaps the absence of a second opening and closing credits allowed for less cuts.

It's been awhile since I've seen an episode of I LOVE LUCY, and I really enjoyed the special. I think my favorite line was the description of Ethel and Lucy as a "middle-aged dishwater blonde"  and a "frowzy redhead"  in the morning newspaper article about the theft of the John Wayne footprints the previous night.

I also enjoyed hearing the famous "uh-oh" reaction that is heard on the laugh track of many I LOVE LUCY episodes. In the Grauman episode, we hear the "uh-oh" lady when Lucy tries the take the stolen John Wayne cement block from the Mertz's hotel room  to her room and ends up breaking it in the hallway off -camera.

speedracer can probably confirm this, but I think that the "uh-oh" lady was actually Lucille Ball's mother, who was in the studio audience for the filming of most (all?) of the I LOVE LUCY episodes.

The I LOVE LUCY "uh-oh" reaction was recycled on the laugh tracks of later sitcoms, including at least 2 episodes of BEWITCHED from that show's second season.

In "Maid To Order" we hear the distinctive I LOVE LUCY "uh-oh" when Louise Tate calls Darrin on the phone to ask if the Stephens's new maid Naomi can fill in for the Tates' maid for an important dinner. The audience knows that  the inept Naomi was only able to prepare dinner with the help of Samantha's witchcraft, hence the "uh-oh" reaction.

In "Follow That Witch Part 1," the "uh-oh" lady is heard when the Robbins Baby Food executive instructs the detective to "investigate his [Darrin Stephens's] wife." 

I believe they used the "heart on satin" opening for the credits.  I also enjoy the stick figure openings.  The heart on satin opening was used on Nick at Nite for years.  In 2001, when the show moved to TVLand for I Love Lucy's 50th Anniversary, I believe they restored the original openings with TVLand instead of Phillip Morris (the show's original sponsor), like you said.  I've seen my DVDs a billion times, but now I can't remember if the episodes have the cartoon opening or the heart on satin.  I think it's the heart on satin, but some of the original cartoon openings are on there as well. 

There were two scenes cut that I noticed.  In the very beginning of the first episode, "Lucy Visits Grauman's," Ethel and Fred bring the cake and supplies for the little party they're having, to celebrate the completion of Ricky's movie (which we never find out what is was called or what it was about).  Fred is looking over the hors d'oeuvres that Ethel purchased and is aghast upon finding out the price of the caviar ($5/jar).  However, in the version that CBS aired for the special, this whole part is cut out and the episode starts with them singing to Ricky and Fred singing: "I bought the caviar." It's not really a big deal, but knowing why Fred chose to reiterate that he bought the caviar makes that part of the song a little funnier.  The second scene that was cut was in the beginning of the "Lucy and John Wayne" episode.  In the very beginning of the episode, Lucy reads the newspaper and is dismayed to see that she and Ethel's caper is front page news.  She tries to throw the paper off the balcony, but the neighbor downstairs keeps throwing it back up onto Lucy's balcony.  Finally, Ethel blows it by bringing a copy of the newspaper to the Ricardos' suite, allowing Ricky to read the story.  I believe this episode just started with Ethel rushing in with the paper. 

The "uh-oh lady" was indeed DeDe Ball, Lucy's mother.  She attended every single taping of her daughter's show.  The I Love Lucy studio audience was considered to have provided such a good laugh track that they utilized it on other shows as well.  Hearing the "uh-oh lady" is a dead giveaway that this is the I Love Lucy laugh track.  I know in a couple episodes, you can hear Desi Arnaz laughing as well.  I can only think of one example, "The Ballet," when Lucy gets hit in the face with the pie, but there might be another episode as well. 

My favorite part of the episodes is in the first episode when Ethel is trying to hide John Wayne's block and the tourist asks her: "Pardon me, are you sitting on John Wayne?" I also like at the end of that episode when Lucy says: "I can't think with all this cement wrapped around my foot!" Then Ricky says: "Oh, is that where your brains are?" 

• Like 1