Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

TRUDEAU'S CANADA

499 posts in this topic

If the Liberals win Monday's election it will be an historic win in a number of respects.

Above all, it will put an end to the narrow visioned, mean spirited, bullying decade long reign of a Prime Minister who has been incrementally changing Canada, trying to keep Canadians in the dark about the changes as much as possible. It will take time to undo much of his negative changes, unfortunately. The financial cuts that he has made on our national health care system will have to be addressed. Not to mention a change to Canada's electoral system so that it is no longer first past the post, and a party does not win that only receives one third of the vote.

Secondly, it will be the first time that the son of a former Prime Minster became Prime Minister himself.

Third, it will be the first time in modern Canadian history (perhaps all our history) in which the party running in third place at the beginning of the campaign came from behind to win. There is already plenty of analysis taking place now as to why that may be the case.

Harper's gutterball campaign tactics, resorting to an appeal to racists within our country, as well as deliberately lying about what will happen if there is a Liberal win (trying to scare seniors by telling them they will lose pension income splitting, for example, as well as immigrant group circulars saying that brothels will become legal), has made him fully deserving of a defeat which, if the polls are accurate, is only two days away.

Our scientists will certainly be celebrating if he loses. As will Statistics Canada. As will reporters and other investigators who seek information and historical data.

It's Monday, October 19, 2015, and it's election day in Canada.

QUESTION:

Will the most Machiavellian Prime Minister in our country's history find some way to pull out yet another victory . . .

56e30981-bd34-4f17-8271-473f862ebf8d_zps

or will the Canadian voter finally put an electoral stake through this political vampire's heart?

Errrr, is my partisanship showing? That's okay, Harper's divide and conquer leadership style has been showing since the day he was first elected.

You know he started wearing glasses to disguise himself as human, ay Tom?

People kept noting he had "dead eyes" before he started wearing them just before the last election. The eyes are the window to the soul, I've heard.

Harper is an extraordinarily intelligent man.

Which makes him all the more frightening because he is also so relentless and so cold.

My sincere hopes and prayers to my friends up north (and I have family up there as well).  I have to believe that most Canadians  will come to their senses and reject  this "conservative" and others of his kind. (Note I put conservative in quotes because  like in the U. S. , these people are not "conservatives" in the usual sense). 

• Like 4

Harper is an extraordinarily intelligent man.

Which makes him all the more frightening because he is also so relentless and so cold.

A Nazi.

A Nazi.

Certainly the ruthlessness of one, and a man with no respect for democracy.

Justin Trudeau of the Liberal Party is Canada's Prime Minister!

The polls have not closed in my province yet and as usual 'our vote' in the West makes no difference...

• Like 1

r-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-large5701_zpsxb9sih4a.j

The New First Family of Canada

For the past two years Justin Trudeau has been mercilessly pilloried by Conservative attack ads as a callow youth not ready for leadership. He has proven them wrong during the last 11 week of an exhausting election campaign. As leader of the third place party three months ago, he is now, incredibly, the leader of a majority government. It's an historic comeback for the Liberal party.

Trudeau had the smarts and courage, unlike his two political opponents, to not jump on the deficit fighting bandwagon but instead declare that his party, if victorious, would stimulate a sluggish Canadian economy with a cash flow to repair the infrastructure of cities and help create jobs. He has proven to be a natural campaigner and tireless worker who passionately stood up to the other two party leaders in five television leaders debates. In the final debate, on two occasions, the "callow youth" twice had wily Harper speechless in one-on-one encounters between them.

How ironic that Stephen Harper, who has never made a secret of his intense dislike of Pierre Ellliott Trudeau, would finally lose his position after a decade in power to the son of the man he so despises.

Canadians have spoken tonight, too, rejecting the mean spiritedness of the Harper years. Perhaps, under a second Trudeau, Canada can return to a kinder version of what the nation once had been. Time will tell.

• Like 6

I was watching the live returns on c-span2 and kept hearing references to 'atlantic canada'?

newfoundland is pronounced new finland. :D

Justin is 43, looks 33 - and is the cutest leader of a country in the world. His father was arguably the greatest prime minister Canada has ever known - what Justin's legacy will be remains to be seen.

But one thing he should not forget - a large part of his win today is due to so many youthful Canadians voting for the first time - abandoning their usual cynical "what's the point, politicians never represent us anyway" habit to vote for someone they see as a fellow traveler to them of sorts. He has pledged to make possession of cannabis legal in Canada, for example - and I'm pretty sure that got him a lot of youth and, like me, old cool dude votes.

His dad's pledge was to create a just society - I'm hoping Justin will be similarly inclined. Trudeau the first was PM for 16 years. If Justin has his dad's integrity, I'll be willing to give him 20.

• Like 3

Justin is 43, looks 33 - and is the cutest leader of a country in the world. His father was arguably the greatest prime minister Canada has ever known - what Justin's legacy will be remains to be seen.

But one thing he should not forget - a large part of his win today is due to so many youthful Canadians voting for the first time - abandoning their usual cynical "what's the point, politicians never represent us anyway" habit to vote for someone they see as a fellow traveler to them of sorts. He has pledged to make possession of cannabis legal in Canada, for example - and I'm pretty sure that got him a lot of youth and, like me, old cool dude votes.

His dad's pledge was to create a just society - I'm hoping Justin will be similarly inclined. Trudeau the first was PM for 16 years. If Justin has his dad's integrity, I'll be willing to give him 20.

Was Margaret his mother? (I met her once).

I'm happy too. canadians had every right to vote out stephen harper and his conservative party for getting cute with them. :)

Was Margaret his mother? (I met her once).

She is. She was there with him tonight. I saw her sitting beside Justin's wife in the hotel room.

She is. She was there with him tonight. I saw her sitting beside Justin's wife in the hotel room.

Well fancy that. I'm pleased that her son will be Canada's Prime Minister. (Not because I met his mother but because of his politics.)

I was watching the live returns on c-span2 and kept hearing references to 'atlantic canada'?

newfoundland is pronounced new finland. :D

No it's not. I've been there and the locals pronounced it like it's spelled.

o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-BABY-5701_zps5ayywrs8.j

Justin Trudeau has his first visit to Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence in Ottawa, carried by his father as a Mountie salutes in 1973.

Justin teared up when presented with a framed copy of this photograph two years ago at Loyalist College.

Pierre Trudeau remains a divisive figure in Canada today, particularly among some older voters. After three electoral wins he was defeated in 1979. After nine months in opposition there was an unexpected 1980 election, with Trudeau storming back to win a fourth mandate by majority government. Two years later Pierre Trudeau gave Canadians the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, arguably his most lasting achievement. He is the stuff of Canadian legend.

I'm very proud to say that in 1968, in the midst of what was then called "Trudeaumania," I shook Pierre Trudeau's hand at an election rally. Mr. Trudeau reached out to take a pen and paper that I was handing him for his autograph, but the local Liberal candidate accompanying him suddenly pulled him away. Trudeau looked over his shoulder at me and gave me an apologetic shrug. It's an image I've carried with me ever since.

I guess that last night Canada went through another version of Trudeaumania all over again. I only wish that Pierre could have been here to see it.

• Like 1

Most of us pronounce it new-fund-land. Some purists may say the middle part as "found", but most from Ontario west pronounce it "fund".

Most of us pronounce it new-fund-land. Some purists may say the middle part as "found", but most from Ontario west pronounce it "fund".

I'm from Alabama and although the Canadian provinces aren't ever discussed in my circle of friends & family, I always pronounced it like you said so I was surprised to hear it called New Found Land by the locals I came in contact with.

I'll certainly take your word for that. it's just that this lady on the CBC News feed on c-span2 kept saying it that way. :D