Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

TRUDEAU'S CANADA

482 posts in this topic

Something to take note of - the Conservative Party failed to form the government this time, not because they received fewer votes than in the past. They received the same number of votes they always do - Republicans (and Canada's Republicans - the Conservatives) always vote.

This time they failed to form the government only because a million more people got off their duffs and voted.

That's the lesson to everyone who thinks their vote doesn't count. Republicans rely on that lazy, cynical, selfish pessimism to keep them in business.

Every time you don't vote, you're helping the right-wing.

Every time you do vote, it's like being counted twice - once as an enabler of a better government, and additionally as a cancellation to a right-wing vote.

Please vote. Every time.

• Like 4

In past elections Harper didn't want the Canadian electorate to be aroused during an election. He wanted them to sleepwalk to work or concentrate on the latest sporting event rather than cast a vote. That's because he always knew that he could count upon his Conservative base to get out and keep him in office (that combined with the progressive vote split of his two oppsition parties).

This time, though, it was different. A lot of Canadians were fed up with Harper, if only because of the excessive partisanship and mean spiritedness that he had brought to Canadian politics.

Even then, though, the Liberals won with 39.5% of the vote, while the Conservatives were just under 32%.

32%! That's still a large loyal voter base that was ready to have the Harper years continue. Though I don't think there was all that much love for the leader himself, just fear of the alternatives. I spoke to one Conservative voter on election day who had been Conservative all his life and nothing was going to change his mind. He referred to Harper as the least of three evils (the other two being the Liberals and NDP).

The anti-Harper vote needed to know where to park their vote, And, in that respect, Harper helped to bring on his own electoral doom by campaigning against Musilim women wearing veils at citizenship ceremonies in order to stir up emotions. That helped to kill the NDP vote in Quebec, since Thomas Mulcair, the NDP leader who had huge support in that province, had the personal integrity to defend a woman's right to wear a veil.

Since Quebecers were opposed to the veil the NDP vote suffered accordingly (exactly what Harper wanted, of course). Unfortunately for the Conservatives, however, soft NDP voters across the country then started to slowly turn to the Liberals as the one party that had a chance to defeat Harper.

There were other key issues that analysts will rightly point to, as well, in explaining Harper's defeat but this was a key one - the price that Harper paid for fomenting racist feelings in his own country. Oh, the beautiful irony!

• Like 1

Something to take note of - the Conservative Party failed to form the government this time, not because they received fewer votes than in the past. They received the same number of votes they always do - Republicans (and Canada's Republicans - the Conservatives) always vote.

This time they failed to form the government only because a  million more people got off their duffs and voted.

That's the lesson to everyone who thinks their vote doesn't count. Republicans rely on that lazy, cynical, selfish pessimism to keep them in business.

Every time you don't vote, you're helping the right wing.

Every time you do vote, it's like being counted twice - once as an enabler of a better government, and additionally as a cancellation to a right wing vote.

Please vote. Every time.

You are correct, Republicans in US rely on the fact that their "base" will vote and very few others will.  That and gerrymandered districts and voter suppression.

• Like 2

My congrats to the Canadian people, I hope some of this sanity blows south of the border.

Thanks, mrroberts. Many commentators were citing similarities between Harper and Donald Trump during our election. At one point Harper was ruminating about having a snitch line on "barbaric cultural practices."

greg-perry-harper-and-trump.jpg.size.xxl

theo-moudakis-trump-envies-harper.jpg.si

This time they failed to form the government only because a million more people got off their duffs and voted.

Every time you don't vote, you're helping the right-wing.

Every time you do vote, it's like being counted twice - once as an enabler of a better government, and additionally as a cancellation to a right-wing vote.

Please vote. Every time.

I agree with all of your comments, dark, except that reproduced bold, because that's not necessarily the case.

There will hopefully be electoral reform in Canada and, theoretically, after consultations with various groups, the Liberals say that within 18 months they will come up with something fairer than the current "first past the post" system for the 2019 federal election.

Trudeau got a whopping majority government of 184 seats with only 39.5% of the vote, which is no more fair than when Harper did it in 2011 with 39.6%. With a new electoral system and the same vote distribution the Liberals may still have been the winners but with only a minority government. Which, in fact, would be a fairer reflection of the vote count. (I say that even though I'm glad he got a majority).

My point, as you also pointed out, while Harper's style and meanness were rejected by most voters, the Conservative brand was not. Conservatism is very much still alive and well in Canada, even if that niqab business didn't really work for them outside of Quebec. The Conservatives got 35% of Ontario's vote, and 30% of that in B.C.. They also beat up the Liberals in their usual bastions of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Only in the Maritimes were they decimated.

The reason that the increase in voters hurt the right wing this time is because they voted strategically. The Tories were as shell shocked at the NDP vote drop as were the NDP. However, if that increase in voters had seen the usual numbers of progressives voting for both the NDP and Liberals, I'm almost positive that we would probably have a Harper minority government today. Mind you, the two opposing parties may have ganged up on Harper in the House of Commons and it's possible we may have wound up with a Liberal-NDP coalition government, but that's another story.

My point: unless the progressive voters vote strategically, as they did in this election, the Conservatives will always have a solid chance at getting elected. That will be particularly true if the Conservatives, learning their lesson from the 2015 election, put on a kinder face in the future.

"Get out and vote" is clearly a solid message. But by no means should we assume that the right wing will not be in power, even with a greater vote count. 2015 was a unique election because of the strategic voting that took place, something that one man show Stephen Harper brought upon himself.

Although I haven't heard any commentators saying this, I also think that Trudeau's positive, sunny face campaign style had a direct parallel to that enjoyed by Jack Layton and the NDP's success four years ago.

Harper and the conservatives had a heck of a run. 9 years I think. Predict once Canada gets a bird's eye view of the pretty boy Trudeau, they will eagerly come back to their senses and vote conservative again.

Harper and the conservatives had a heck of a run. 9 years I think. Predict once Canada gets a bird's eye view of the pretty boy Trudeau, they will eagerly come back to their senses and vote conservative again.

Your reference to "pretty boy Trudeau" is EXACTLY how Harper tried to portray him to the Canadian public for two years, as a lightweight. And it worked, as the Liberals fell in the polls prior to the election.

Until the election came and the 11 week campaign gave Canadians an opportunity to see him as a campaigner. With the Conservative attack ad propaganda no longer their primary basis for judgment, many changed their minds. They saw a passionate, articulate man full of energy, who spoke of having a more positive impact upon the lives of all Canadians. Unlike Harper, they saw in Trudeau a man who refused to resort to personal attack ads.

Some Canadians also saw him in debates in which he more than held his own against wily old Harper, besting him in the final debate, according to most observers.

Unlike Harper, who pandered to prejudice, singling out Muslim women wearing veils for scorn (as despicable a display of groveling vote grabbing as I've ever seen from a Canadian politician), Trudeau said a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian, and a Muslim woman has a right to wear a veil at a citizenship ceremony if she so wishes.

Harper's mean spirited partisanship brought about his doom in this election. Justin Trudeau couldn't be more of a contrast to him in personality. Unlike the cynical, distrustful, (Nixonian?) Harper, Trudeau likes people. He now has to create a cabinet and, hopefully, he will select some good people. It should be an interesting, and, hopefully, positive, four years.

Harper showed in his last campaign with his lies, attack ads and pandering to racism that he would say or do anything to remain PM. The nightmare of a secretive government that was openly contemptuous of all its critics (be it charity groups, scientists, the court system, political opponents or anyone else daring to question them) is thankfully over.

• Like 1

"The U.S. greenback broke above $1.40 versus the Canadian dollar late last week in the wake of a softer than expected inflation and wholesale sales prints north of the border.

And according to Scotiabank Economist Derek Holt, the timing of the loonie's slump is abysmal as it drains debt-laden households' purchasing power precisely when big-ticket purchases like homes and autos are running at all-time highs. And the higher they are, the farther they could potentially fall".

The new PM will now have the reality of dealing with a fiscal challenge with a weak currency. Predict our Canadian friends will be wishing for the Conservatives again.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-21/economist-the-canadian-dollar-s-demise-couldn-t-have-happened-at-a-worse-time-

The Liberals went from third place in the polls to first in an 11 week election campaign.

Eleven weeks (!!!), from third place doesn't have a chance to winner with a strong majority government!

The polls currently show that Justin Trudeau is still enjoying a tremendous honeymoon period with Canadians, and he has been declared newsmaker of the year by the Canadian media. Trudeau would win a stronger majority government today if there was another election.

The next election is four years away.

It might be a little early to start making predictions about anything, let alone Canadians returning to a party that the majority of them just rejected.

It might be a little early to start making predictions about anything, let alone Canadians returning to a party that the majority of them just rejected.

I'm reminded of when Rush Limbaugh, to much anticipatory fanfare, got carried on Canada's air waves.

He completely tanked and was gone within a couple of months. He got great ratings for the first couple of nights - by week two, Canadians were tuning him out fast.

Americans don't get Canadians. They can't believe Canadians wouldn't be like Americans - at least not politically, that's a certainty. We're just too well informed up here. We still receive a halfway honest education and our news services are the most informative and professional on the planet. American news programs look like cheap b-team productions compared to what Canadians are accustomed to seeing.

It's no surprise that a southerner "red state" American understands so little about us.

• Like 1

I guess some American Conservatives, seeing the conservative government of a neighbouring country turfed out of power, find it very comforting to repeat to themselves, "They'll be back, they'll be back, they'll be back . . .".

Well, eventually, we know that the federal Conservatives in Canada will be back, just as the Liberals will, in turn, make their own comeback, afterward. It's the continuing cycle of throw the bastards out that voters feel regarding any government sooner or later.

Justin Trudeau, however, has had a spectacular impact upon many Canadians. So far he seems to be intent upon keeping his election promises, including bringing in Syrian refugees and opening a new chapter in government relations with our native people with an investigation into the years of murdered and missing aboriginal women (an issue to which Harper showed total indifference). Instead of the stale old cynical politics of Harper, Trudeau actually appears to care about people, and his upbeat positive message and image is encouraging to Canadians.

Trudeau just had a live town hall meeting in which Canadians could call and directly ask him questions of concern, as evidence of how open and transparent he is trying to be (a complete contrast to the previous secretive government just given the boot). I even had a conversation the other day with a diehard conservative voter who said that he was impressed by the new PM's transparence with that town hall meeting.

Trudeau is a breath of fresh political air that our country has long needed. Anybody already trying to anticipate his obituary as Prime Minister, just as he has begun to pass legislation, is presumptuous and locked in partisan political thinking.

I remember after the 1964 election when the mantra of the Republican party was: 20 million people can't be wrong.  Even had bumper stickers for it.  

Of course, the vast majority of people (45 out of 50 states) voted for LBJ.

I remember after the 1964 election when the mantra of the Republican party was: 20 million people can't be wrong.  Even had bumper stickers for it.  

Of course, the vast majority of people (45 out of 50 states) voted for LBJ.

And in 1984 Reagan won in a landslide.       As Tom noted: They'll be back, they'll be back, they'll be back . . .".

Once you reach into a man's pocket and pull his money out you will see him react ready for a change to bring the good times back. Canada in the very near future is going to experience decreased purchasing power with its currency which will cause pain for many. Give it some time but many will be wishing for the prosperous days of the Conservatives and fondly remember Harper and the good old days.

I predict....

http://news.yahoo.com/canada-gdp-unexpectedly-flat-october-september-contraction-133734887--business.html;_ylt=A0LEV0dwWXtWvOQAj0NXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYzlkZzBnBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjExNjBfMQRzZWMDc2M

Merry Christmas

Edited by JakeHolman

Once you reach into a man's pocket and pull his money out you will see him react ready for a change to bring the good times back. Canada in the very near future is going to experience decreased purchasing power with its currency which will cause pain for many. Give it some time but many will be wishing for the prosperous days of the Conservatives and fondly remember Harper and the good old days.

I predict....

Merry Christmas

Declined purchasing power had already happened under Harper just like the global economic crisis had already happened under your Bush and terrorism came to America under Bush.

Americans don't get Canadians. They can't believe Canadians wouldn't be like Americans - at least not politically, that's a certainty. We're just too well informed up here. We still receive a halfway honest education and our news services are the most informative and professional on the planet. American news programs look like cheap b-team productions compared to what Canadians are accustomed to seeing.

It's no surprise that a southerner "red state" American understands so little about us.

The dumbing down and "info-tainment" of news shows is disturbing.  When I was growing up news programs were a serious presentation of national and international news or local news without personal opinion or dog and pony shows.  There were shows with political discussion and opinion, but for the most part in a civilized manner.  News anchors didn't say "Get this!" before reading a story.  (One of my pet peeves.)  We weren't told or manipulated into how we should feel about people and events in the news.  At least not that I remember.

I remember an episode of Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" several years ago, I think just post 9/11, with the actress Theresa Russell as a guest.  She'd been living in England and said how struck she was watching the news in the U.S., by the dramatic music accompanying news stories.  Why and when did it become this way?  Do we all have such attention spans that we can't sit through the news without bells and whistles?  Did it start with the breathless coverage of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco racing down the freeway?  Why are they showing videos of chickens riding Roombas on the evening news?!  

Things took a bad turn in America, and that makes me, and presumably many of us, feel a certain despair about our country.  Sorry for my rant; this is just something I think and worry about a lot.

• Like 3

The dumbing down and "info-tainment" of news shows is disturbing.  When I was growing up news programs were a serious presentation of national and international news or local news without personal opinion or dog and pony shows.  There were shows with political discussion and opinion, but for the most part in a civilized manner.  News anchors didn't say "Get this!" before reading a story.  (One of my pet peeves.)  We weren't told or manipulated into how we should feel about people and events in the news.  At least not that I remember.

I remember an episode of Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" several years ago, I think just post 9/11, with the actress Theresa Russell as a guest.  She'd been living in England and said how struck she was watching the news in the U.S., by the dramatic music accompanying news stories.  Why and when did it become this way?  Do we all have such attention spans that we can't sit through the news without bells and whistles?  Did it start with the breathless coverage of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco racing down the freeway?  Why are they showing videos of chickens riding Roombas on the evening news?!  

Things took a bad turn in America, and that makes me, and presumably many of us, feel a certain despair about our country.  Sorry for my rant; this is just something I think and worry about a lot.

It seriously began to deteriorate when Morton Downey Jr. began abusing everybody on air. For some reason, it proved to be very popular with American viewers.

Since then, serious discussion is seen as boring. The Corporate State loves it - it keeps citizens from being educated; keeps them easy to direct.

Some people are beginning to wake up, though. They're becoming more aware of the con game to which they've been subjected.

• Like 2

It seriously began to deteriorate when Morton Downey Jr. began abusing everybody on air. For some reason, it proved to be very popular with American viewers.

Since then, serious discussion is seen as boring. The Corporate State loves it - it keeps citizens from being educated; keeps them easy to direct.

Some people are beginning to wake up, though. They're becoming more aware of the con game to which they've been subjected.

Unfortunately, I think there are far more susceptible dumb people out there than smart ones.

Don't you think that for every one that wakes up, two become pods?   It only they had cabbage leafs attached to the backs of their heads for easy detection.

The dumbing down and "info-tainment" of news shows is disturbing. When I was growing up news programs were a serious presentation of national and international news or local news without personal opinion or dog and pony shows. There were shows with political discussion and opinion, but for the most part in a civilized manner. News anchors didn't say "Get this!" before reading a story. (One of my pet peeves.) We weren't told or manipulated into how we should feel about people and events in the news. At least not that I remember.

I remember an episode of Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" several years ago, I think just post 9/11, with the actress Theresa Russell as a guest. She'd been living in England and said how struck she was watching the news in the U.S., by the dramatic music accompanying news stories. Why and when did it become this way? Do we all have such attention spans that we can't sit through the news without bells and whistles? Did it start with the breathless coverage of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco racing down the freeway? Why are they showing videos of chickens riding Roombas on the evening news?!

Things took a bad turn in America, and that makes me, and presumably many of us, feel a certain despair about our country. Sorry for my rant; this is just something I think and worry about a lot.

This is also something that bothers me a great deal. The origin of this transformation began when the networks ended the separation between their non-profit news divisions and their for-profit entertainment divisions. In the new set-up, news programming had to show a profit, or else the network execs had to answer to the stockholders. Originally, the news was seen as a badge of honor, respectability, and civic duty; something to be proud of. But all that went out the window in the chase for more eyes and dollars. So it became a game of sensationalistic reporting.

The next step in the evolution of garbage tv news was the advent of the so-called "tabloid" syndicated "news" shows in the late 80's. Things like INSIDE EDITION and A CURRENT AFFAIR brought a new level of over-produced, fear mongering, hysteria to the news format, courtesy of the format's inventor, Rupert Murdoch. The shows were successful, and despite editorial outcry over the cheapening of the news, the networks slowly started to adopt the tabloid style.

The last major step, and the final nail in the coffin of old-school news, was the introduction of the 24 hour news stations. CNN got an early start in the 80's, and managed to maintain a level of professional integrity for a while, mainly because they had no competition. But when Fox News and MSNBC invaded the airwaves, it became a real battle for ratings, and to fill the 24 requirement. Fox News shot to the top, especially after 9/11, with their patented blend of non-stop fear and outrage. After dominating the ratings amongst the 24/7 news networks for so long, it was only a matter of time (and the retirement of the last generation of news men & women that maintained ethical standards) before the major networks started to adopt what was working so well for Fox.

The old notions of integrity and civic responsibility in the news are gone. The nightly news is now just another profit engine, part of a larger corporate structure that could care less how much you know, just that you buy their products. It's why for the past month, I've seen nearly nightly reports on the new STAR WARS film on the ABC nightly news, since both properties belong to Disney. Since the installation of David Muir as anchor, this same news program announced amidst much fanfare, their new partnership with ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, the syndicated showbiz gossip show. That says it all, really.

• Like 2