Sign in to follow this  
tilden72

Twlight Zone Episodes

46 posts in this topic

I am a big fan of the Twilight Zone episodes. I am not expert so please forgive me if I did give you all the correct information. If am not mistaking I think that they aired about 156 episodes. I believe the most amount of eps. played by actors were Burgess Meredith, Jack Klugman and John Anderson the amount was four. Their were some other actors such as Jay Overholts he was in 8 appearances  not others not as famous that were in many shows. Let us not to forget about our your actor Billy Murry he stared in - Long Distance.... (1961), It's a Good Life...(1961), In Praise of Pip.... (1963). A few of my favorites episodes were -Living Doll-Talking Tina...  S5, Ep6 1963. -It's a Good Life... Season 3 Ep8 1961.-The Eye of the Beholder.... S2 Ep6 1960. I would like to know some your comments and your favorite episodes. Again please excuse me for any information that may be incorrect. I hope that you enjoyed that Twilight Zone as much I did.

I am a big fan of the Twilight Zone episodes. I am not expert so please forgive me if I did give you all the correct information. If am not mistaking I think that they aired about 156 episodes. I believe the most amount of eps. played by actors were Burgess Meredith, Jack Klugman and John Anderson the amount was four. Their were some other actors such as Jay Overholts he was in 8 appearances  not others not as famous that were in many shows. Let us not to forget about our your actor Billy Murry he stared in - Long Distance.... (1961), It's a Good Life...(1961), In Praise of Pip.... (1963). A few of my favorites episodes were -Living Doll-Talking Tina...  S5, Ep6 1963. -It's a Good Life... Season 3 Ep8 1961.-The Eye of the Beholder.... S2 Ep6 1960. I would like to know some your comments and your favorite episodes. Again please excuse me for any information that may be incorrect. I hope that you enjoyed that Twilight Zone as much I did.

Favorite---"A Stop Called Willoughby", starring James Daly.

Favorite---"A Stop Called Willoughby", starring James Daly.

I just love  And When the Sky Was Opened (1959) in which the astronauts disappear one by one.

http://abcdefghijklmn-pqrstuvwxyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Cream_twilightzone.jpg

I also like The Monsters are Due on Maple Street, and the one about the basement fallout shelter that the neighbors try to break into.

• Like 1

I just love  And When the Sky Was Opened (1959) in which the astronauts disappear one by one.

http://abcdefghijklmn-pqrstuvwxyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Cream_twilightzone.jpg

I also like The Monsters are Due on Maple Street, and the one about the basement fallout shelter that the neighbors try to break into.

My favorite episodes are "The Masks" directed by Ida Lupino, "Deathshead Revisited" about a Nazi officer returning to the concentration camp he once commanded, and "A World of His Own" about a writer whose characters come to life.

I also like "The Shelter".  It had nothing to do with ghosts, or aliens, but there was a realism to the episode that implied if one family was ready for the end of the world, the neighbors would show up and demand room in the shelter.

"And the Sky was Opened" starred Rod Taylor and who else? I forget.

AKK!

This is one of those "pick a favorite child" type threads.

Where "The Twilight Zone" is concerned, it's difficult to render them all down to a suitable list.  Or a LIMITED one if you will.

I too, am not familiar with all the episode names.  So, some  of my standouts are

The one with little Billy Mumy who has the power to wish things away to the cornfield.

The one in which three astronauts land on a planet that turns out to be a sort of cemetery run by Cecil Kellaway.

The one in which Keenan Wynn can create people and things by speaking into a little tape recorder.

Fred Clark and Co. having a camera that can take pictures of things that are ABOUT to happen.

Of course, the one in which Burgess Meredith, an avid reader, finally has "Time enough at last", only to break his glasses. 

Let's not forget "WILLOUGHBY"!

OR the one in which William Windom is stuck in what turns out to be a barrell full of dolls.  And, that clown is JAMES DALY, the man headed to "Willoughby".

AND, of course, AGNES MOOREHEAD smashing to pieces the spaceship from the U.S.A.!!

I could go on, but y'all get he gist.  HARD to pick out just a choice few. ain't it?

Sepiatone

• Like 2

AKK!

This is one of those "pick a favorite child" type threads.

Where "The Twilight Zone" is concerned, it's difficult to render them all down to a suitable list.  Or a LIMITED one if you will.

I too, am not familiar with all the episode names.  So, some  of my standouts are

The one with little Billy Mumy who has the power to wish things away to the cornfield.

The one in which three astronauts land on a planet that turns out to be a sort of cemetery run by Cecil Kellaway.

The one in which Keenan Wynn can create people and things by speaking into a little tape recorder.

Fred Clark and Co. having a camera that can take pictures of things that are ABOUT to happen.

Of course, the one in which Burgess Meredith, an avid reader, finally has "Time enough at last", only to break his glasses. 

Let's not forget "WILLOUGHBY"!

OR the one in which William Windom is stuck in what turns out to be a barrell full of dolls.  And, that clown is JAMES DALY, the man headed to "Willoughby".

AND, of course, AGNES MOOREHEAD smashing to pieces the spaceship from the U.S.A.!!

I could go on, but y'all get he gist.  HARD to pick out just a choice few. ain't it?

Sepiatone

I'm glad you brought up the Fred Clark one with the camera. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that in any of our TZ discussions. It's one of my favorites.

Who played the blonde that K.Wynn created with the tape recorder? Phyllis Thaxter I believe was the one he didn't like, his wife.

BTW anyone remember this post-Serling Twilight Zones, 70s or 80s maybe, it had a video tape quality to it. Same stories done over again.

Who played the blonde that K.Wynn created with the tape recorder? Phyllis Thaxter I believe was the one he didn't like, his wife.

BTW anyone remember this post-Serling Twilight Zones, 70s or 80s maybe, it had a video tape quality to it. Same stories done over again.

Her name was Mary La Roche.  She was also in the "Living Doll" episode.  It was Phyllis Kirk in that episode.  I do remember the 80s revival of Twilight Zone.  The one episode I can recall is called "Shelter Skelter" about two men trapped in a nuclear fallout shelter.

Her name was Mary La Roche.  She was also in the "Living Doll" episode.  It was Phyllis Kirk in that episode.  I do remember the 80s revival of Twilight Zone.  The one episode I can recall is called "Shelter Skelter" about two men trapped in a nuclear fallout shelter.

I recall the one with the box ... you get a lot of cash if you do this, but .... (spoiler averted). Was this the "Eye of the Beholder" episode? The actress they used for that was brilliant in the role, IMO.

I recall the one with the box ... you get a lot of cash if you do this, but .... (spoiler averted). Was this the "Eye of the Beholder" episode? The actress they used for that was brilliant in the role, IMO.

I don't remember the one with the cash.

"Eye of the Beholder" was the one in which a woman is having plastic surgery to look like everyone else.  The actress with the bandages on was named Maxine Stuart; the actress without the bandages was Donna Douglas. 

I don't remember the one with the cash.

"Eye of the Beholder" was the one in which a woman is having plastic surgery to look like everyone else.  The actress with the bandages on was named Maxine Stuart; the actress without the bandages was Donna Douglas.

Oh yes, I remember thinking that they did a fairly good job in keeping us in the dark (ha). I think I was actually surprised at the ending, but I think that perceptive viewers (not me, ha) might have felt that ending was obvious because they kept the "normal" faces in shadow throughout the episode.

All the episodes of Twilight Zone mentioned are great. My favorite is probably the Burgess Meredith one Time Enough At last. Another one that I have never forgotten was After Hours. Anne Francis in the dept store, looking to buy a thimble. Turns out she's really a manequin who gets to be human once a month. Another that gives me goose bumps when I think about it, is the one with the talking Tina doll. The doll tells Telly Savalas she's going to kill him. That one scared the beejeebies out of me as a kid. Already mentioned that episode with the plastic surgery where beautiful Donna Douglas looks like a pig after the surgery. It's amazing that so many of us remember so many episodes after over 50 years. A testament  to how  brilliant a show Twilight Zone was. Rod Serling was a genius.

I love all of the recycling of familiar MGM sets in many of them. (The first episode was shot at Universal in 1958 as a pilot... and those sets also look mighty familiar as well.) WALKING DISTANCE from season 1 with Gig Young makes good use of the Andy Hardy / Meet Me In St. Louis neighborhood as he "flashbacks" to 1934 from 1959.

All the episodes of Twilight Zone mentioned are great. My favorite is probably the Burgess Meredith one Time Enough At last. Another one that I have never forgotten was After Hours. Anne Francis in the dept store, looking to buy a thimble. Turns out she's really a manequin who gets to be human once a month. Another that gives me goose bumps when I think about it, is the one with the talking Tina doll. The doll tells Telly Savalas she's going to kill him. That one scared the beejeebies out of me as a kid. Already mentioned that episode with the plastic surgery where beautiful Donna Douglas looks like a pig after the surgery. It's amazing that so many of us remember so many episodes after over 50 years. A testament  to how  brilliant a show Twilight Zone was. Rod Serling was a genius.

Actually, the problem was that Donna Douglas DIDN'T look like a pig after the surgery!

There's one in which an old couple go someplace looking at much younger bodies they can buy, but they're too expensive, and the old man tries to raise the money in a poker game.  HE gets the body, but at the end changes his mind.  realizing living in pain(the reason he wanted the new body to begin with) is bearable if he can live it with the woman he's loved for the last 50 years or so.

There's one in which some poor girl is hassled by her mother, friends and a doctor(played by Richard Long) all who need to wear NAMETAGS to be able to tell each other apart because the "proceedure" the girl refuses to get won't allow her to look like who she really is, instead of what other  people think is pretty or acceptable.

All these years later, and tHAT one is STILL pretty much relevant!

Yeah, I suppose MOST of us can put up a pretty long list.

Sepiatone

Yes, I left out the word doesn't, so thanks for the correction. Obviously the fact that Donna looks the same and the reaction of everyone else is what makes the ending of this episode powerful. It's not my all time fav episode, the Burgess Meredith one Time Enough At Last is, but the Donna episode is one that's hard to forget.

Actually, the problem was that Donna Douglas DIDN'T look like a pig after the surgery!

There's one in which an old couple go someplace looking at much younger bodies they can buy, but they're too expensive, and the old man tries to raise the money in a poker game.  HE gets the body, but at the end changes his mind.  realizing living in pain(the reason he wanted the new body to begin with) is bearable if he can live it with the woman he's loved for the last 50 years or so.

There's one in which some poor girl is hassled by her mother, friends and a doctor(played by Richard Long) all who need to wear NAMETAGS to be able to tell each other apart because the "proceedure" the girl refuses to get won't allow her to look like who she really is, instead of what other  people think is pretty or acceptable.

All these years later, and tHAT one is STILL pretty much relevant!

Yeah, I suppose MOST of us can put up a pretty long list.

Sepiatone

Lavender could have defended her first statement. Donna did look like a pig, to the nurses. But not to us. The episode has a good title, "The Eye of the Beholder."

The episode about the old couple had a biting scene in it. When they get to living with the new body for HIM, for awhile it's okay. The wife is so happy for the husband, she smiles with joy, almost giddy. Then the smile turns suddenly into tears, wrenching tears, it was done perfectly, I thought the scene packed a wallop. She saw it couldn't work, she didn't even have time to think about, it came from within. I think that's one of the finer scenes in the whole series. I wonder what actress played the elderly lady, she was letter perfect. I remember her perfectly, even after these many years.

There is one that produced the greatest chill in me of all the episodes.

It's 'Twenty Two' - the 17th episode of season 2.

A seemingly empty hospital at night, a woman wakes up at the same time night after night and follows a nurse through the halls at a distance - the nurse's face always just being hidden from us as she rounds corners and enters elevators. We do eventually see her, and she's beautiful - but there's a coldness to her face and voice that scared the crap outta me.

I remember many episodes - seen them all - but that's the one that leaps to mind immediately whenever 'Twilight Zone' is mentioned.

The Billy Mumy episode was easily the most frightening one.

"Time Enough at Last" is the one I most identify with.

And anything with Inger Stevens is memorable.

Lavender could have defended her first statement. Donna did look like a pig, to the nurses. But not to us. The episode has a good title, "The Eye of the Beholder."

The episode about the old couple had a biting scene in it. When they get to living with the new body for HIM, for awhile it's okay. The wife is so happy for the husband, she smiles with joy, almost giddy. Then the smile turns suddenly into tears, wrenching tears, it was done perfectly, I thought the scene packed a wallop. She saw it couldn't work, she didn't even have time to think about, it came from within. I think that's one of the finer scenes in the whole series. I wonder what actress played the elderly lady, she was letter perfect. I remember her perfectly, even after these many years.

Don't know WHOM that actress was, but equally biting for ME was HIS reaction as he recognized what SHE realized.  But yeah, still one of my better liked episodes. 

Just recently saw the one in which ROBERT LANSING, playing an astronaut, falls in love with MARRIETTE HARTLEY, and the wrench in the whole relationship is that he's about to go on a mission in which he'll be spending FORTY YEARS in suspended animation.  Not wanting to return to Earth still a young man while SHE'S aged 40 years, during the mission he disables the animation proccess, and equally ages 40 years, only to discover that while he was gone on his mission, SHE had herself placed in the SAME suspended animation that HE was supposed to be in!   OY!

There's another one in which an astronaut returns to Earth only to find he's in some "parallell universe", a term and concept most people have never heard of or thought of in those days.  EXCELLENT television!

Sepiatone

There is one that produced the greatest chill in me of all the episodes.

It's 'Twenty Two' - the 17th episode of season 2.

A seemingly empty hospital at night, a woman wakes up at the same time night after night and follows a nurse through the halls at a distance - the nurse's face always just being hidden from us as she rounds corners and enter elevators. We do eventually see her, and she's beautiful - but there's a coldness to her face and voice that scared the crap outta me.

I remember many episodes - seen them all - but that's the one that leaps to mind immediately whenever 'Twilight Zone' is mentioned.

nurse.jpg

Here's a frisson for you.

Pretty, but creepy. Definitely creepy. Check out her images (Arlene Martel) on google, she looks like this all the time. There are a few where she smiles, it doesn't work. Would have made a good Mrs Danvers.

The wiki page for this episode is quite interesting. Beautifully told. I got the heebie-jeebies just reading. I was unfamiliar with the story and found it quite entertaining. I haven't checked out other episodes on Wiki but I wonder if they are so well rendered.

Room for one more, you say, nurse? Forget it, I have a meeting with Bela, he's going to demonstrate his new torture chamber for me.

I always felt sorry for Burgess Meredith. All those books to

read and all that time to read them in and no one to nag

him. Then he goes and breaks his glasses by accident. I

feel his pain. I get a kick out of the Will the Real Martian

Please Stand Up? where the two aliens from different

planets are both trying to take over the Earth. Like most

TV shows, some episodes are very good, others not so

much.

I believe this was the first episode I ever saw. Was this the first produced by any chance?

It's too bad they ran out of time. I wanted our favorite bookworm to walk around and stumble on the one structure left standing. An Optometrist shop.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm certainly not alone is how shivery I found 'Twenty Two' to be of all the TZ episodes. Just for kicks I looked it up and read the comments at IMDb. Here are some excerpts of what I read:

"This is the most terrifying Twilight Zone episode that I have ever seen.......Arlene Martel is wonderful as the frightening morgue nurse: she has this cold, exotic look that chills you to your very bones"

"Twenty-Two is markedly different from most other Twilight Zone episodes, in part due to the film quality - video tape.......quality greatly enhances the story, making the acting & score more surreal which makes the atmosphere even more unsettling"

"This is one of the scariest, most nerve-wracking episodes in the series. It is genuinely frightening and will affect you on a visceral level. It's done so well that it's actually discomfiting to watch.......Filming it on videotape actually provides a documentary-like feel to the production, enhancing the realism and the shock value.......The nurse is beautiful.......but spooky.......the look on her face will send chills down your spine. Her voice sounds like it's coming from the grave.......I remember being badly frightened by this episode when I originally saw it. And all these years later, it still frightens me"

"TWENTY TWO was one of six TWILIGHT ZONE episodes that were shot on video tape, and it certainly adds an "odd dimension" to the viewing pleasure of it.......it makes the turmoil of Nichols' apparent mental breakdown more effective"

"I agree with everyone who says that this episode gave them nightmares. It is one of the few Twilight Zone episodes I'm actually afraid to watch. There's something inexplicably real and convincing about it"

"when Liz Powell (Barbara Nichols) first encounters the morgue nurse.......you'd be hard pressed to hear a more blood curdling scream in the history of film; it goes right through you.......'Twenty Two' ranks up there as one of the most memorable ones. It has that haunting quality that stays with you"

"Citizen Kane in black and white.......In one of the best episodes of the entire series.......the line between reality and dreamland is blurred with amazing effectiveness......an exemplary episode of the show, and works on more levels than can be described in a single review"

"videotaped episode.......but this one does have an effectively eerie atmosphere and striking end that still make it succeed, and it is memorable"

"An Exception to the rule.......they say that to every rule there is an exception, and "Twenty Two" is that exception. Despite being made using the ugly videotape method, it is a dandy little thriller.......the mood of the entire show is creepy and keeps you on edge"

Okay, so I have company in how much affected I was watching this of all the episodes. Of course, there are a few comments that complain about the "poor quality of the production". There's always some videophile-centric ones that just don't get it, know what I mean.