Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

TCM Programming Challenge #30 Risky Business -- Voting Thread

48 posts in this topic

Lydecker--you make it sound like a crossword puzzle (those are addictive--for me, anyway).  Is it That uncomplicated--you know the answers or you don't?

BTW--congrats everyone on their schedules--Very tough to choose.  :)

The broad strokes game plan and lists of potential films was the most fun for me.

The disciplined part is the sacrifices you then have to make to either keep to the premiere limit or the timing of the films.  Many a time I wanted to fit a square peg into a round hole but had to make a few compromises.  And in my final proofing I found that I was out by 15 minutes on three different occasions and had to rip the whole thing apart.

You should give it a go for sure.  If like me, once you've done a rough draft you will probably want to see it through to see if it works and what it actually looks like.

• Like 1

Lydecker--you make it sound like a crossword puzzle (those are addictive--for me, anyway).  Is it That uncomplicated--you know the answers or you don't?

I approached my first schedule from the standpoint of:  Which actors, directors, genres, etc. would I like to salute?  Nothing like "playing God" with a week of TCM programming!  The hardest part for me with the first couple of schedules was the timing.  Then, Speedracer5 mentioned a time calculator she had worked with and utilizing that changed my life. As I think of ideas for programming blocks, I jot them down so I can use them for future schedules.  That way, you have at least a few things worked out in your head before you find out what the Challenges will be.  Dealing with a limited number of premieres is tough but I think we have all tried to "liberalize" the premiere limit in the last few challenges.  It used to always be only 10 premieres, no exceptions, and that was frustrating.  But, I agree that you need to limit the premieres, to some extent.  Otherwise, you are not experiencing what a real TCM programmer has to deal with.  But, doing the Challenges is really fun and I look forward to diving into the next one.  Also, seeing other people's schedules has opened me up to checking out films I might never thought of viewing.  It's all good.  Do it!!

• Like 1

Congrats Speedy and well deserved! Feel free to start the next challenge asap--I too have lots and lots of ideas.

And thanks to the 2 people who voted for me! :D

• Like 3

I want to second what Lydecker said.  My approach is similar to Lydecker's.  What I do, is first think of who I want to honor as SOTM.  Sometimes the programming challenge will have rules regarding the SOTM, most challenges do not.  For my first couple of challenges, I selected my favorite stars to salute.  My first schedule, I made Errol Flynn the SOTM (of course) and my second, Rita Hayworth.  Now, I've been trying to select performers who haven't received the SOTM honor, hoping to give a hint to the programming department (TCM programmers have been known to borrow ideas from the challenges).  Of course, you can select whomever you want for SOTM provided that they have a big enough filmography.  

After SOTM, I select a date range for the challenge.  The week has to fall within the stated time frame provided by the challenge host.  I usually think of a person who I want to honor, or a specific event, or something, in order to select my week.  For my first challenge, I selected the week that contained June 20 and June 22 because it contained my boyfriend Errol's birthday and mine, respectively.  This time, I selected the week that June 1 fell on, because it featured SOTM Marilyn's birthday and one of my other favorites-- Andy Griffith.  After selecting my week, I go onto Wikipedia, and look up each day of the week to see who was born on each day and make notes for potential birthday salutes.  

After that, I look at the required challenges and come up with possible ideas for a theme and films.  For example, with the Marx Brothers quote requirement, I just looked up the Marx Brothers films on imdb and read the memorable quotes and found the one referring to a little boy being happy to lose his brain.  Automatically, I thought of lobotomies when I read that.  I don't know why.  I'm just weird I guess.  I will also google different theme ideas like "movies featuring lobotomies" to get ideas on what films contain a specific subject. 

When deciding my Essential film or Friday Night Spotlight, I usually just think of a movie that I'd like to see featured and build a theme around that.  For example, with my "Essential," I wanted to feature Palm Beach Story, so I decided to feature Preston Sturges' films, since TCM tends to theme the Essential with a related film.  For my Friday Night Spotlight, I decided to feature Edith Head, because I'd just watched a couple of the Hitchcock films that she worked on and found the costumes gorgeous.  Since I love musicals, I believe in my last schedule, I was going to do a Friday Night Spotlight about dancing ladies and featured an evening of Vera-Ellen.  In my notes, I said that during the month, I would also feature Mitzi Gaynor, Ann Miller and Cyd Charisse.  

For the Underground movie, I usually just think of some crazy movie I'd like to see or some theme.  In the past, I've done Giant people, Sci-fi Queens, John Waters, Tim Curry and this time, I did roller disco, because I wanted to schedule Skatetown USA, which I'm hoping TCM will show because it's the only roller disco movie I haven't seen.  

After I have all the required content planned, then I plan which birthday tributes I want to do and other themes.  I usually think of films I'd like to see and build themes around them.  I have wanted to see What's So Bad About Feeling Good? which stars Mary Tyler Moore.  I love MTM  and watch her show all the time and decided I would schedule this film as part of a MTM marathon.  My Nancy Drew came about because of the optional challenge, stating we had to feature a 1930s character.  Since I've been reading Nancy Drew and she started in the 1930s, I thought she was perfect.  I haven't seen Bonita Granville's Nancy Drew films, so I thought it was a perfect block of programming.  I also have wanted to see Bette Davis' Beyond the Forest and keep trying to come up with different themes to include it.  Instead of "Forest" films, I was going to do a theme of films featuring unhappy housewives.  However, I couldn't think of films featuring unhappy housewives and when I googled that, I came up with a list of results I did not need to see.  Lol.  

I always try to include some sort of ode to transportation in my schedules.  I've done schedules featuring odes to trains, riverboats and now cruise ships.  I also have to include some of my favorite performers (Errol, Jean Arthur, Lucy, Claudette Colbert, Claude Rains, just to name a few).  I try not to schedule the same films each time, unless it's a premiere I'm trying to get scheduled and I try to come up with different themes.  If I end up repeating anything, its only by accident.  

The hardest thing is trying to schedule films where the times fit within the schedule requirements.  I always start out confused as well, because I always (I don't know why) start scheduling my films in PST instead of EST.  I'll be programming the primetime block (starting at 5pm for me) and wondering "geez, why is the evening so long?" lol then realizing that I need to have primetime start at 8pm.  I'm also a little OCD with the schedule and want to have each film as part of some theme.  I don't like to have random films just floating around.  I even try to theme the shorts if I can.  I also always try to include the Wonderful World of Tupperware short, because I think it's funny. 

The tools I use are:

The Time Math Calculator

The Advanced Search feature on imdb.  You can type in an actor or a keyword or whatever search term for your theme and put in the time frame you're trying to schedule (i.e. 60 mins - 75 mins) and search.  All films featuring that actor, keyword, director, etc. will pop up and you can research titles from there.

Good luck! I hope to see you in the next challenge! 

• Like 1

Honestly, I would be happy to have the next one start sometime in December, provided it wasn't due until after the holidays.

I already have lots of ideas and am ready to rock and roll.

How about we start it on November 29 and I'll give everyone some extra time to plan (since we'll have the holiday season, but I'll have the challenge start after Thanksgiving) and I'll have the end date like January 10? 

How does that sound to everyone? 

• Like 2

I congratulate: speedracer5 for well-deserved win!

All schedules were quite wonderful. You are all masters of the craft!

I with to thank lydecker for creating this Challenge and for running it so well in face of problems with forum software.

I am comfortable with idea of next Challenge beginning in late November if ending is in January.

• Like 4

How about we start it on November 29 and I'll give everyone some extra time to plan (since we'll have the holiday season, but I'll have the challenge start after Thanksgiving) and I'll have the end date like January 10? 

How does that sound to everyone? 

Sounds like a plan.

And, if you can give us a bit of a heads up on the time parameters of the week we can choose (From ______, 2016 to _____, 2017, for instance) prior to announcing the actual challenges, that would be great, too. 

• Like 1

Okay.  Sounds like the next Programming Challenge date is set.

I hereby announce that "TCM Programming Challege #31" will commence:

Sunday, November 29, 2015. 

Currently, I'm planning on extending the length of the challenge to accommodate the hectic pace of the holiday season.  Depending on how everyone is doing, I may consider pushing out the date another week, but right now, I believe that an end date of January 10th, 2016 should be sufficient. 

I will drop hints here and there until the start date.  First, I have to come up with a theme! 

• Like 3

This is excellent news. I already have tons of ideas. I'm so proud to testify (amen!) that these challenges are The Best way to "request a movie" -- proof is they are finally showing WHAT A WAY TO GO! next month. I think I've used that in every schedule and now I don't have to anymore. :D

• Like 2

This is excellent news. I already have tons of ideas. I'm so proud to testify (amen!) that these challenges are The Best way to "request a movie" -- proof is they are finally showing WHAT A WAY TO GO! next month. I think I've used that in every schedule and now I don't have to anymore. :D

What a Way to Go! is a great movie.  I think you'll really like it-- I mean who wouldn't like Shirley MacLaine, Dick Van Dyke, Paul Newman, Robert Mitchum, Gene Kelly and Robert Cummings... all in the same film?!

Wasn't it Lydecker (I think?) who kept scheduling Barry Lyndon over and over until TCM actually scheduled it and they finally did a couple months ago! I really do believe that the Programmers look at our pretend schedules for ideas.  (NOTE TO TCM PROGRAMMER: Get on scheduling all the Nancy Drew movies in one block.  Please and thank you in advance :-) )

Now, we should work on What's So Bad About Feeling Good? with Mary Tyler Moore and try to get that scheduled. 

• Like 2

Now, we should work on What's So Bad About Feeling Good? with Mary Tyler Moore and try to get that scheduled. 

I've scheduled that one in most of my schedules to try to get it on the air, and I'll keep trying til they do (hey, it worked with A NEW LEAF)

• Like 1

What a Way to Go! is a great movie.  I think you'll really like it-- I mean who wouldn't like Shirley MacLaine, Dick Van Dyke, Paul Newman, Robert Mitchum, Gene Kelly and Robert Cummings... all in the same film?!

Wasn't it Lydecker (I think?) who kept scheduling Barry Lyndon over and over until TCM actually scheduled it and they finally did a couple months ago! I really do believe that the Programmers look at our pretend schedules for ideas.  (NOTE TO TCM PROGRAMMER: Get on scheduling all the Nancy Drew movies in one block.  Please and thank you in advance :-) )

Congratulations, speedracer!  Sure hope the schedulers are listening about those Nancy Drew movies. :)

Congratulations to everyone; I would love to see all of the schedules shown on TCM.

• Like 3

Congratulations to Speedracer5!

I'm very sorry that I just saw the Challenge on the boards, after voting was over.  I would have liked to have voted.  Since I cannot do that, I would like to point out the highlights (for me) from each schedule.

Lonesome Polecat:  I loved the Sheldon Leonard tribute, Submarining, Lone Pine films, My First Talkie, and Nutty Professor as the Essential.  You always have a great schedule.

Bogie 56:  I think Max Von Sydow is a spectacular SOTM.  I liked Bela Lugosi (as Ygor) as guest programmer, the Max Ophuls block, shyster lawyers, Canadian programming, and department stores-always good fodder for any schedule.  Great work.

Skimpole:  I liked your use of Revolutionaries in a theme, Warsaw Pact Day, non-Hollywood musicals, and L'amour fou.  Kinuyo Tanaka as SOTM.  I would never of thought about it but I like the idea very much.  Excellent job. 

Speedracer 5:  I really enjoyed your Paris programming and how it covered more than just a block of films.  I appreciate all smooth transitions and your pick of Seventh Heaven is perfect.  You and I both love Fig Leaves (please, someday, Charlie).  It's so clever.  I laughed at your use of Nancy Drew as a programmer.  Was there anything she couldn't do???  I thought that your gender-bending theme was very good.  Xanadu and Skatetown really make for an unusual Underground.  Again, congrats!

I really enjoyed perusing all four fabulous schedules.  Excellent work, all!

Lydecker-great work as the moderator and creator of such a fun Challenge.

• Like 6

Countess D:

So glad you had a chance to check in, peruse the schedules and make your always incisive comments. It was a fun challenge to host and we had some amazing schedules.  

On to Challenge #31!  

Lydecker

Hello Lydecker:

I placed my vote for the first time with this challenge but I was so surprised at the results:

Speedracer5 - 5 votes

Skimpole - 4 votes

Bogie 56 - 3 votes

Lonesome Polecat - 2 votes

Only 14 people voted?

Any idea as to why so few people voted?

I was astonished at the work that these members put into the challenge and found it very interesting to analyze their schedules.

I will endeavour henceforth to place my vote for future challenges.

Congrats to Speedracer5 for winning and also to the others for their effort!

• Like 5

Violet:

I, too, hoped more people would recognize these incredible schedules and did try to remind folks (repeatedly, I'm afraid) about voting but, in the end, yes, we only received 14 votes.  However, I am heartened by the number of views we received on the Challenges thread because it tells me that many, many members of the forum did take the time to look at the schedules and appreciate the imagination, wit and smarts of the participants.

Thanks for your vote and we hope your enjoy the next challenge, which will be created by The Inimitable Speedracer5, TCM Programming Challenge #31.

Lydecker

• Like 2

I just noticed that the thread has been moved into the Program Challenges Archive.

I agree that more votes should have been cast. Next time I will make a point to join in more. I wasn't sure if just anyone was allowed voting privileges.

I just noticed that the thread has been moved into the Program Challenges Archive.

I agree that more votes should have been cast. Next time I will make a point to join in more. I wasn't sure if just anyone was allowed voting privileges.

Anyone who has been on the forum for at least a month prior to the beginning of a Challenge is eligible to vote.  So, short of those folks, everybody is eligible and welcome to vote.  New Programming Challenge coming up at the end of November.

• Like 1

Anyone who has been on the forum for at least a month prior to the beginning of a Challenge is eligible to vote.  So, short of those folks, everybody is eligible and welcome to vote.  New Programming Challenge coming up at the end of November.

Thank you for the clarification. Can't wait for the next Challenge!

I've posted a teaser for the next challenge in the General Discussions thread.  Check it out!

I've posted a teaser for the next challenge in the General Discussions thread.  Check it out!

Thanks speedracer...I will be sure to check it out. :)

Congratulations to speedracer 5!

I will be happy to promote the next challenge on the Festivals Forum Sue Sue thread. So sorry I didn't check in time to vote.

I love reading all the challenges because there are so many wonderful ideas!

• Like 1