SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

1,432 posts in this topic

I had not realized that it was harvest season for spam. I do hope that Korean farmers are joyous to have such a bumper crop to share with us.

• Like 2

Five more pages is approx. an hour! I believe that we will soon reach our Recommended Daily Allowance for spam for remainder of the decade!

• Like 1

What a pathetic individual is this? What a scourge it must be to have no life. Perhaps to be pitied. Maybe this person is unloved. I hope she/he can get help.

They may have to shut down the forum to clean up this mess.

---

• Like 2

What a pathetic individual is this? What a scourge it must be to have no life. Perhaps to be pitied. Maybe this person is unloved. I hope she/he can get help.

They may have to shut down the forum to clean up this mess.

---

I hope you aren't describing the typical TCM poster with this description? :)

I had not realized that it was harvest season for spam. I do hope that Korean farmers are joyous to have such a bumper crop to share with us.

Do you recognize Korean, SansFin?

Is this what we are seeing?

I hope you aren't describing the typical TCM poster with this description? :)

I think there were at least 4 registered posters that were spamming at the same time.  Could be one person with 4 or more accounts.  I wonder if the mods have a way of tracing the attack?

I think there were at least 4 registered posters that were spamming at the same time.  Could be one person with 4 or more accounts.  I wonder if the mods have a way of tracing the attack?

Oh there are ways of tracing where this all came from, but doubtful our Mods have that ability, that is unless they work for "the company."

Oh there are ways of tracing where this all came from, but doubtful our Mods have that ability, that is unless they work for "the company."

Maybe it's a disgruntled regular poster whose feelings were hurt.

Maybe it's a disgruntled regular poster whose feelings were hurt.

If that's the case then this is only the tip of the iceburg! :)

Anyone else notice the "Martian..download" thread was here about 30 minutes & then disappeared?

This is the only Martian thread that I am aware of, and it's still there, on page two.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/55119-the-martian/

Was there another one during all the "fun"?

No, that thread was started by Nipkow Disc--it's a legitimate thread that was pushed back with all the others--ND usually posts in the "Off-Topics" Forum.  ND is a sci-fi lover, as far as I can tell.

If that's the case then this is only the tip of the iceburg! :)

This isn't the first time this type of spam has shown up. A couple of weeks ago there was Korean or Chinese spam that also showed up. Many of us think it's either a banned poster or one that has problems with alot of posters on the bds. There was also some in English and a weird one in off topic chit chat. 

• Like 1

This isn't the first time this type of spam has shown up. A couple of weeks ago there was Korean or Chinese spam that also showed up. Many of us think it's either a banned poster or one that has problems with alot of posters on the bds. There was also some in English and a weird one in off topic chit chat. 

This was almost 60 pages in the general Discussion section alone.  It was also going on in other TCM forums.

About 4 to 6 newly registered users were posting constantly.  Granted, it could be one person with 4 or 5 machines but it appeared too well organized and 'foreign' for it to be a disgruntled person IMHO.

• Like 1

This was almost 60 pages in the general Discussion section alone.  It was also going on in other TCM forums.

About 4 to 6 newly registered users were posting constantly.  Granted, it could be one person with 4 or 5 machines but it appeared too well organized and 'foreign' for it to be a disgruntled person IMHO.

I don't think it's one person judging from that weird post in off topic chit chat. someone started a thread telling someone else good job KATH.  That's all that was said. I think there's more than one strange one involved in this.

• Like 1

I agree.

Of the handful that I opened none had a single english word.

These were organized, rapid fire posts, likely automated, with very few views or replies.

Can't recall what .com's were listed, but they were likely coming from a handful of proxy servers anyway.

So they could have originated from anywhere.

But if they weren't Chinese or Korean, then somebody went to an awful lot of trouble making them appear to be so.

Not understanding the context of any of them, there's no way to get a hint of the spammer/s motive/s.

To bad we don't have a member who actually understood what they said, could prove useful.

It could just have been a random assault, or seriously, someone (or group) just using the TCM site to test their methodology and our vulnerabilty.

Then too, could have been a well organized, single tech savvy disgruntled poster. Too many possibilities.

But I agree with Bogie on this one. "It appeared too well organized and 'foreign' for it to be a disgruntled person IMHO"

• Like 3

Well the moderator must have removed most of them since only one spam thread (the type with links to other sites not related to movies),  showed up when I used the 'view new content' feature this morning.

Missed those.

So you think that those were related?

If so, how so?

Well the moderator must have removed most of them since only one spam thread (the type with links to other sites not related to movies), showed up when I used the 'view new content' feature this morning.

I really am impressed with how quickly things have returned to "normal."

Kudos to the Mod/s and all others involved in cleaning the mess up.

When I first checked in this AM, in a few of the other boards (i.e. Films and Filmmakers, Information Please, Your Favorites, etc.) there were a handful of similar "spam" posts in each, but the lion share was overwhelmingly directed, or funneled, into the Gen. Disc. board.

Why that would be, who knows?

• Like 2

Do you recognize Korean, SansFin?

Is this what we are seeing?

I can say only that I believe it was Korean. I had very intensive study of that written language during two month period approx. forty years ago and have had no cause to read it since that time. Most of what I remember from those classes concerns battles for chair away from windows because of very cold drafts.

I believe that I recognized words: "hotel" and: "complete."

It is quite possible it was very different language and that I am mistaken.

• Like 1

I believe that it may have been automated script running on one computer. I suspect purpose was to post same message quickly on hundreds or thousands of forums but that it became stuck on TCM forum for some reason. The posts were appearing so quickly that I believe no one person could have been typing that fast.

• Like 1

I believe that it may have been automated script running on one computer. I suspect purpose was to post same message quickly on hundreds or thousands of forums but that it became stuck on TCM forum for some reason. The posts were appearing so quickly that I believe no one person could have been typing that fast.

I'm not sure how all of this works.  I don't call myself the 'global village idiot' for nothing.

BUT, the spammer first has to create a named account in order to post to our forum.  That is what I meant when I said 4 to 6 registered users were spamming.  It was 4 to 6 different names that accounted for the 50 + pages of spam.

Perhaps you are right that the intention was not for it to carry on that long, but who knows?

I don't suspect we will hear from the moderator, or will we? ...