SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

1,432 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Gone?  GONE???.... I must have blinked through that one. :blink:

Okay, so which of you two wants to take "credit" for bringing the SPAM back? :ph34r:

I blame JamesJazzGuitar;) I also have an alternate theory: someone in Korea is a huge fan of Ruby Keeler and is very angry at the amount of criticism her acting, singing and dancing has received over the years. Just in case I am correct, if you have any negative comments about her, please keep them to yourself or post them on a site less easy to invade.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Wow, this is some Spam-O-Rama. Boo!

This is the worst it's been that I've seen. The spammers usually just target a few hours late at night but today they've been non-stop spamming all day long!

58 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Figures I'd miss that historic event.:(
Been busy spending the last hour or so say'n goodbye to "Carl." (another "historic" event, at least on TWD)

It has been awhile since I watched that. Was it finally Carl's turn to do something stupid and suffer consequences?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

would it be harder for tcm to stop the spam or procure a print of Hot Spell?

:huh:

Related image

TCM acts to keep Nip happy with Hot Spam....

6216_1.jpg

• Haha 2

I was the creator and administrator of a Q&A site for years. It had a diverse group of over 80,000 members. I also experienced spambots and I found a way to block them from registering accounts on my site. I had to give up my site because I was busy with life and had a packed schedule. I noticed that a Korean spambot program has been hitting the TCM forums in full force. It's not easy for the administrator/moderator to keep an eye on all of the activities and deal with the relentless bots. It seems like this specific spambot is designed to send spam automatically in large quantities.

The sign up/registration form on the TCM forums needs to be updated. It's easy for spambots to bypass the reCaptcha. It asks users to do simple math problems and answer simple questions. The administrator can set a verification code that users have to decipher in order to complete the registration.This will make it harder for bots to bypass the reCaptcha but easy to solve for a human. And try to implement characteristic verification questions. Another option is to enable the spam filter and monitor the newly registered members. If there's an account activation in the ACP, the administrator can manually approve new members when they join, and then keep spam accounts on pending or banned. Hopefully, TCM will update their spam filter.
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Diana101 said:
I was the creator and administrator of a Q&A site for years. It had a diverse group of over 80,000 members. I also experienced spambots and I found a way to block them from registering accounts on my site. I had to give up my site because I was busy with life and had a packed schedule. I noticed that a Korean spambot program has been hitting the TCM forums in full force. It's not easy for the administrator/moderator to keep an eye on all of the activities and deal with the relentless bots. It seems like this specific spambot is designed to send spam automatically in large quantities.

The sign up/registration form on the TCM forums needs to be updated. It's easy for spambots to bypass the reCaptcha. It asks users to do simple math problems and answer simple questions. The administrator can set a verification code that users have to decipher in order to complete the registration.This will make it harder for bots to bypass the reCaptcha but easy to solve for a human. And try to implement characteristic verification questions. Another option is to enable the spam filter and monitor the newly registered members. If there's an account activation in the ACP, the administrator can manually approve new members when they join, and then keep spam accounts on pending or banned. Hopefully, TCM will update their spam filter.

Personally, I'd favour the manual moderation of posts from new members until they reach a certain number of approved posts - it wouldn't have to be many since I can't see the spammers going to the trouble of creating enough legit posts to enable a spam run.

For whatever reason, the board admins have always gone for the reactive approach of periodically hosing down the offending posts after the fact. I sense a certain desperation on the part of the current spammers, almost like they're retaliating for having their pointless graffiti washed off every few hours.

• Like 1

Thanks for those suggestions, Diana. I almost commented with a LOl or sad icon, but realized you may not recognise it as sarcasm.

I too have suggested easy fixes commonly used to thwart spam, but this board/administrators doesn't seem to want to bother. Or possibly, they DO implement them & the spammers just finds a workaround.

• Like 1

Now Nip. While I realize we're well into what has become known as "Award Season" in our culture, I must ask: Do we really need another of these kinds of things?

I mean, sure, after you recently won the coveted "e e cummings life achievement award" for your continual non-use of proper capitalization, I can fully understand why you'd like to spread the wealth around and offer up another of these sorts of accolades to deserving people, but like I just asked, don't you really think we've gone just a little too far with this whole "award" process?

(...have to admit though, I DO think if there IS to be another of these sorta things, your bestowing this one upon these TCM message boards is only right and proper)

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks for those suggestions, Diana. I almost commented with a LOl or sad icon, but realized you may not recognise it as sarcasm.

I too have suggested easy fixes commonly used to thwart spam, but this board/administrators doesn't seem to want to bother. Or possibly, they DO implement them & the spammers just finds a workaround.

Back in the late evening of October 5, 2015, when Sansfin first created this thread, was the beginning of what now has sadly become routine here. It was the first massive SPAM attack experienced here. That first onslaught lasted well into the late morning hours of the following day before finally being "cleaned" up.
Those (of the several of us) that were on-line at the time, were both bewildered and amused. Several threads were started, each with numerous posts and a "running" commentary, of which only this one remains. The others were deleted as "redundant" long before the Moderator (at that time) finally wised up and actually listened to our suggestions of "consolidating" like (similar) threads rather than delete them.
Too bad we don't have some of those other threads to refer back to as there were quite a few very amusing observations and comments, as well as numerous "proactive" suggestions made on how to eliminate, prevent, curtail or at least limit the effects of such onslaughts. Of course NONE of those suggestions (even the simplest and more effective) were ever implemented by anyone in control here. The "new" member post monitoring and "Delays" suggested has been suggested before. I've seen it effectively implemented on a couple of the other sites that I occasionally visit, and while it doesn't prevent all Spam, it certainly curtails the BOT spam so prevalent here.
But all of "our" suggestions are futile when addressing, deaf, blind, and dumb moderators who would rather "react" to such events than attempt to prevent or limit them.
What I find really sad is I've seen some of these SPAM threads remain intact on these boards far longer than some of "our" own posts and threads here. Go figure... :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/4/2018 at 9:31 PM, Thenryb said:

It has been awhile since I watched that. Was it finally Carl's turn to do something stupid and suffer consequences?

Yep, he got himself bit at the end of the last "mid-season" and spent almost an entire episode eulogizing before he passed.
In all fairness though, the kid grew up on the series and has been present since day one.

I used to not mind watching a TV series back in the days of Centennial and Shogun, et al., but those ran their course in a few days or weeks, not years and years.
Used to have an HBO subscription and really enjoyed watching ROME. That one concluded in two seasons, and I honestly wished that it would have carried on longer.
Someone turned me on to Showtimes The Tudors, and I got sucked into four long seasons of that epic, which finally ended with Henry (and not Elizabeth). 
I have generally tried to stay away from such things, but every now and then I catch an episode of something that whets my appetite for more... AMC was on a roll with Madmen, Breaking Bad, (and now its prequel sequel Better Call Saul), and as much as I abhor all the commercials, I found myself watching those shows with anticipatory relish.
The idea of a series about zombies didn't exactly appeal to me, but then I made the mistake of watching an episode and got hooked on the post apocalyptic aspect of the whole thing, with the far fetched idea of strictly human undead "zombies" an ever present additional horrific aspect of the many dangers in such a world. Then I sort-of got into the mindset that this was also an homage to the late great George Romero, which made watching a little more palatable in my mind.  But damn, now they've got this and Fear TWD, and have a promised crossover character episode coming up next month. And these things just keep going on, and on, like forever in real time. I feel like an addict drawn to another fix each time I watch the damn things.
Oh, and I noticed a couple of seasons of History Channels Vikings at my library a while back and, being a history buff, checked them out. Now I'm sucked into "never ending" Viking lore on that channel as well.
Someone finally talked me into watching the first four seasons of Game of Thrones a couple of years ago... I no longer get HBO, so I have been anxiously awaiting each new "seasons" set of dvd's to arrive ever since...
Thankfully that one is soon coming to an end. But I've also been reading George R. R. Martin's series of books as well.  And I thought that I had long left my interest in such allegorical fantasy tales back with my childhood....
Oh and Yeah, so on top of TCM, I have these other quirks in addition to an insatiable appetite for PBS documentaries.

I used to be such an active outdoorsy sort-of guy, now I spend way, way too much time with my eyes glued to some damn screen. :blink: Do I need a life or what?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, limey said:

3rd item on the menu seems topical...

1605spam-590.jpg

That reminds me of when I was a Boy Scout and we went on this canoe trip. The canoe carrying most of our "supplies" overturned in the river and most of our food stuff was lost. However the Scout Leader was able to recover the large case of spam that quickly sank to the bottom and got lodged between some rocks.
For the next week we ate, spam, spam, and more spam. Most of us got sick of the stuff after that.
Used to be "cheap" meat in those days, but whenever I notice it on the grocery ailes these days it appears to be way "over priced." Thankfully I ate enough spam back then to have no great craving for it now....
And with these boards, I get way too much of the stuff as is <_<

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

For the next week we ate, spam, spam, and more spam. Most of us got sick of the stuff after that.

Sorry, but it has to be done...

Used to be "cheap" meat in those days, but whenever I notice it on the grocery ailes these days it appears to be way "over priced."

Yup. I actually had a craving for the stuff a while back, but as you say, it's not really a cheap foodstuff anymore, so it didn't seem to be sensible to cough up the current price to salve my nostalgia. I think part of the issue is that it's now relatively expensive to produce a canned product that doesn't contain a large portion of water. Additionally, I suspect that the manufacturer has also deliberately tried to position the product as a discretionary purchase, to distance it from the unfortunate association that it's name developed with the rise of the net.

used to not mind watching a TV series back in the days of Centennial and Shogun, et al., but those ran their course in a few days or weeks, not years and years.

The temptation to continue mining a successful idea seems too powerful these days, so some series seem to outlive their ability to provide fresh, cohesive plots (Lost). Sadly, others get canned early (The Leftovers & The Newsroom) & have to cram the story arcs into their final seasons. I was glad that Game of Thrones was given a fixed lifespan, although it seems like the writers only realized that the final seasons were approaching in the most recently broadcast season, so the pace of storytelling seems to have become noticeably compressed.

4 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

I used to be such an active outdoorsy sort-of guy, now I spend way, way too much time with my eyes glued to some damn screen. :blink: Do I need a life or what?

Don't worry, you'll soon be able to do all that outdoorsy stuff from the virtual reality of your couch, without needing to stretch any muscles not associated with a remote control... :ph34r:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

I used to not mind watching a TV series back in the days of Centennial and Shogun, et al., but those ran their course in a few days or weeks, not years and years.
Used to have an HBO subscription and really enjoyed watching ROME. That one concluded in two seasons, and I honestly wished that it would have carried on longer.

I spend far more time watching series stuff than I do movies. I have had HBO for years and still do. I really liked Rome as well as many others including John Adams,  Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, Broadcast News and Mildred Pierce.

AMC also has many excellent good series but I have to record them and fast forward through the commercials. I watched most seasons of Breaking Bad as well as all available episodes of Better Call Saul. I watched about 6 seasons of the Walking Dead and finally stopped watching it when the crew was in Alexandria.

I watched the Tudors on Showtime. It was OK, although I did not care for Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry. I have watched all seasons of Homeland, although I am a bit bummed out with the current season which is cramming too many subplots into the series which are more distracting than interesting. I have even watched all available episodes of Shameless.

I found the History channel production of the Vikings to be very good, regardless of the liberties in takes with History. I think I have finished that series.

Finally, there is Lonesome Dove which I still find myself re-watching.

I used to be "outdoorsy" as well until life and career circumstances resulted in me disposing of my small farm and horses. Now I am turning into tallow:D

• Like 3

On 3/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, limey said:

Sorry, but it has to be done...

Yup. I actually had a craving for the stuff a while back, but as you say, it's not really a cheap foodstuff anymore, so it didn't seem to be sensible to cough up the current price to salve my nostalgia. I think part of the issue is that it's now relatively expensive to produce a canned product that doesn't contain a large portion of water. Additionally, I suspect that the manufacturer has also deliberately tried to position the product as a discretionary purchase, to distance it from the unfortunate association that it's name developed with the rise of the net.

The temptation to continue mining a successful idea seems too powerful these days, so some series seem to outlive their ability to provide fresh, cohesive plots (Lost). Sadly, others get canned early (The Leftovers & The Newsroom) & have to cram the story arcs into their final seasons. I was glad that Game of Thrones was given a fixed lifespan, although it seems like the writers only realized that the final seasons were approaching in the most recently broadcast season, so the pace of storytelling seems to have become noticeably compressed.

Don't worry, you'll soon be able to do all that outdoorsy stuff from the virtual reality of your couch, without needing to stretch any muscles not associated with a remote control... :ph34r:

I wish that we could give multiple different REACTION Emoticons when responding to multiple quotes, without the need for an actual reply post. If that were possible I would have given the video a "HaHa," the mid-portion a "Like," and the "Don't Worry..." part a "SAD" REACTION.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 8:45 AM, limey said:

Ah I already do that. In fact, in dreams, the young, lean, athletic, brown Comanche that is forever struggling to emerge from my old, northern European body frequently succeeds while sleeping:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thenryb said:

Ah I already do that. In fact, in dreams, the young, lean, athletic, brown Comanche which is forever struggling to emerge from my old, northern European body frequently succeeds while sleeping:D

Ah, dreams - the ultimate movie reel. And also interactive, if you can do lucid dreaming...

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 11:41 AM, Thenryb said:

I spend far more time watching series stuff than I do movies. I have had HBO for years and still do. I really liked Rome as well as many others including John Adams,  Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, Broadcast News and Mildred Pierce.

AMC also has many excellent good series but I have to record them and fast forward through the commercials. I watched most seasons of Breaking Bad as well as all available episodes of Better Call Saul. I watched about 6 seasons of the Walking Dead and finally stopped watching it when the crew was in Alexandria.

I watched the Tudors on Showtime. It was OK, although I did not care for Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry. I have watched all seasons of Homeland, although I am a bit bummed out with the current season which is cramming too many subplots into the series which are more distracting than interesting. I have even watched all available episodes of Shameless.

I found the History channel production of the Vikings to be very good, regardless of the liberties in takes with History. I think I have finished that series.

Finally, there is Lonesome Dove which I still find myself re-watching.

I used to be "outdoorsy" as well until life and career circumstances resulted in me disposing of my small farm and horses. Now I am turning into tallow:D

Yes, I too really liked the HBO John Adams (2008) mini-series with Paul Giamatti, even better than I did the even longer 1976 PBS John Adams series with George Grizzard.
I frankly sometimes wish that I'd never seen any of TWD at all. It is much like TGOT in that one is well advised to not get "close" to any character as that is a sure sign of their imminent demise.
I am liking the BB prequel BCS very much. I look forward to the tie-ins with the original (as well as the anticipatory call backs of the original cast members).
Like yourself, I thought that Jonathan Rhys Meyers was miscast in the role of Henry VIII, but I stuck with it to the end.
Yes, I much enjoy watching Ragnar and sons, and even the somewhat farfetched efforts made to link them to all those various historical events and personages. But when Ragnar finally bit it, the never aging, ever vital Lagertha, began looking more and more ridiculous to me. And trying to stretch uncle Rollo and the boys to fully encompass the conquest of Britain up to Alfred the Great, as well as Viking Normandy, and beyond, sometimes requires a suspense of what I do think know about such things. But for continuity sake in a show that (when it first aired) A&E likely had no idea would become so popular and long lasting, is none-the-less quite entertaining.   
Lonesome Dove... like yourself I can't help but re-watch it whenever it is on. Rather liked the sequels as well. Best was the first one with Jon Voight. The second with James Garner was also quite good. Even liked the prequel Dead Mans Walk.
As for those other shows you mentioned, I've heard about some of them, but fortunately (I think for me) I've not yet seen any of them. :unsure:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, limey said:

Ah, dreams - the ultimate movie reel. And also interactive, if you can do lucid dreaming...

Ahhh lucid dreamssszzzzzzz.... ;)

On 2/15/2018 at 2:24 PM, CaveGirl said:

Do you also dream in colour, Stephan? I'd ask Dargo that too, but he would not approve of the use of the "u" in the word "colour" sadly.

Dream in "Color" or "Colour", Of course, doesn't everybody?
Sometimes my "night-time" dreams are a little dark and grey, but my "day-time" dreams can be as colorful as whatever place I am. Esp. colorful and "florific" if I'm in some verdant country place during the spring or fall.

In fact I discovered that I possess all of my senses in my dreams.
I not only see whatever I'm dreaming about, but I hear all the associated sounds, can touch and tactilely feel things, and can even smell and taste things.

Sometimes when I'm dreaming I know that it is a dream while it is happening.
Sometimes I dream in third person as a mere observer to whatever is occurring. 
Other times the dream can be so "real" or fancifully real, that I am swept away and literally become part of it.
Sometimes I dream about frightful or horrible things, sometimes from actual past experiences, other times some sort of imaginative confabulation.
Sometimes I have a dream that is so sweet and wonderful that I would like to just remain in that dream state and never wake up.

The mind is such an incredible organ. I can't tell you how it does it, but it can make a pillow (for example) smell, feel and taste just like a.... well, whatever it is I'm dreaming about.  ;)

Isn't it the same for you?

Oh, I just had a thought... I wonder what someone who's been blind since birth "sees" in their dreams? :unsure:
Did anyone ask Helen Keller about such things? (in her case both sight and hearing lost as an infant)

• Like 2