SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

1,429 posts in this topic

I also watch The Walking Deadas well as the spin-off Fear the Walking Dead. Both shows are wildly uneven, quality wise, but they both have their moments of good-if-not-quite-greatness. They also have a large amount of scenes that have one yelling at the scream at the stupidity of the characters/writing. I'll be happy when this Negan war storyline is over.

I also watch Game of Thrones, and consider it the best show on TV at the moment. Only it's not on, with such a long gap between this past season and the new one. Plus it will be the final season, and a truncated one at that, so it will be bittersweet. 

I've watched this latest season of The X-Files revival, although much like the last one, it's been pretty awful. I was a major X-Files fan back during its 90's heyday, but this revival proves that some things should be left dead.

I have the John Adams and Rome series on DVD, as well as The Sopranos complete series and the first season of Boardwalk Empire

I've been watching The Alienist mini-series on TNT. It's been pretty good.

There are no other scripted shows that I still regularly watch other than Supernatural, and that one is a grudging watch, since I've stuck with it for 13 seasons or however long it has been at this point. I can't say that I'm enjoying too much any longer, though. With all the movies I watch, I don't really have a lot of time for other TV shows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I've been watching The Alienist mini-series on TNT. It's been pretty good.

Same here. One bonus for me is Q'orianka Kilcher in the cast. I thought she had disappeared from the scene after The New World, but I have found her in recent stuff including Te Ata which I found to be a wonderful movie which displayed her many talents. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4061944/ for a quick summary.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

With all the movies I watch, I don't really have a lot of time for other TV shows.

Actually, I am surprised you have time for ANY:(

• Haha 2

Thought I would bump this thread to put it above the two-plus page of spam plaguing the boards right now ...

(and, hey, why is this stuff always on General Discussions? Are the bots smart enough to know which boards are which?)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

(and, hey, why is this stuff always on General Discussions? Are the bots smart enough to know which boards are which?)

No, the spam does occur in the other sections as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"do something!" -paul newman, butch cassidy and the sundance kid

Posted (edited)

The admins had been doing pretty well today (until this latest delivery).

Having said that, once this lot has been dealt with, I suspect that this thread will feel the urge to merge with the spamphone smrt fairy thread...

Edited by limey
Yup, I can tell the future... LOL :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, limey said:

The admins had been doing pretty well today (until this latest delivery).

Having said that, once this lot has been dealt with, I suspect that this thread will feel the urge to merge with the spamphone smrt fairy thread...

Edited 12 minutes ago by limey 
Yup, I can tell the future... LOL :)

"Don't you get sick of being right all the time?" -Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

(...although of course, in the movie, Redford says that to Newman in more an ironic fashion)

;)

• Haha 2

I swear I just saw a SPAM thread with ****SUNMA.ME*** in the title, posted by effiequeefing

"
effiequeefing" :P

I had to look twice and then busted up! :D

Do you suppose that means the same in Korean as it does in English??? :lol:

This is becoming a DAILY occurrence....awful. No wonder no one's discussing movies.

• Sad 1

Gonna bump the thread again, because it appears the Korean spam is about to once again completely overwhelm Page One right now.

• Thanks 1

I just noticed that all of these Bot SPAM threads are showing up already "Viewed" from 1 to 6 or more times... Probably by another Bot, because nobody here can click and look at them that fast... :blink:
So I'm thinking that Spammers use this site (because it is so easy to SPAM here) and rack up a lot of Bogus views to their SPAM threads Before they are deleted from the board, and submit those numbers to whomever is paying them to spam, as if they are getting a lot of attention to whatever the hell it is that they are trying to promote or sell, or whatever.
What a SPAM SCAM that is? :angry:

42 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

I just noticed that all of these Bot SPAM threads are showing up already "Viewed" from 1 to 6 or more times... Probably by another Bot, because nobody here can click and look at them that fast... :blink:
So I'm thinking that Spammers use this site (because it is so easy to SPAM here) and rack up a lot of Bogus views to their SPAM threads Before they are deleted from the board, and submit those numbers to whomever is paying them to spam, as if they are getting a lot of attention to whatever the hell it is that they are trying to promote or sell, or whatever.
What a SPAM SCAM that is? :angry:

I'm sure that it's some variant of a click-spam scam, where the spam needs the appearance of being viewed for payout to occur - but I can't help but think that amount paid the per-spam must be incredibly tiny (fractions of a penny for each). Even if automated, you'd need several metric shedloads of the stuff to pay for the electricity/net connectivity consumed by your farming attempts. Mind you, the naughty people behind this are probably not beyond hacking into someone else's servers to achieve their aims, what with them being naughty people & so forth.

• Sad 1

On 3/10/2018 at 6:13 AM, limey said:

I'm sure that it's some variant of a click-spam scam, where the spam needs the appearance of being viewed for payout to occur - but I can't help but think that amount paid the per-spam must be incredibly tiny (fractions of a penny for each). Even if automated, you'd need several metric shedloads of the stuff to pay for the electricity/net connectivity consumed by your farming attempts. Mind you, the naughty people behind this are probably not beyond hacking into someone else's servers to achieve their aims, what with them being naughty people & so forth.

Well, they certainly are very naughty. And deserve to be soundly spanked for their persistent intrusions here and for being so naughty as trying to trick their employers out of a dime with their bogus "likes".
In spite of using several different "names" here, I've a feeling that it's really only one guy (or gal) doing all this. They must be incredibly sharp (tech savvy wise), as they have this whole thing so well automated that they can manage to get some sort-of worthwhile pay-off. And it wouldn't surprise me at all that their overhead for all this naughtiness is zero. Who knows how many other sites this person hammers, but TCM must certainly be one of the very the easiest for them to perform their naughtiness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_fraud

We need Anthony Freemont, the little brat from the Twilight Zone episode IT'S A GOOD LIFE, to wish all the spam and spam invaders into the cornfield!

• Haha 1

this Asian spam seems to have grown, huh   It's all over the place & seemed to have stopped for awhile

Neither here nor there, but just a literal story about junk about to fall out of the sky:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5486985/Lower-Michigan-crash-site-falling-Chinese-space-station.html

The Tiangong-1 space station (artist's impression), which is hurtling towards Earth carrying a 'highly toxic chemical', will likely hit sometime between March 29 and April 9, revised estimates say

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/chinese-junk.jpg

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Neither here nor there, but just a literal story about junk about to fall out of the sky:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5486985/Lower-Michigan-crash-site-falling-Chinese-space-station.html

The Tiangong-1 space station (artist's impression), which is hurtling towards Earth carrying a 'highly toxic chemical', will likely hit sometime between March 29 and April 9, revised estimates say

You can see where the current location of the satellite is here:

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=37820#TOP

(in case you fancy a quick trip up to Canada for some reason)

You can see the where the orbits travel over the planet's surface from a link on the same page. Although it probably won't be possible to calculate with any accuracy until nearer the time reentry occurs, as with most satellites, the majority of the orbit tracks are over ocean, so they remain the highest probability of where anything that survives the atmosphere ends up.

Just to keep things on topic for the forum, here's the station's 5 minutes of movie fame in Gravity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, limey said:

You can see where the current location of the satellite is here:

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=37820#TOP

(in case you fancy a quick trip up to Canada for some reason)

You can see the where the orbits travel over the planet's surface from a link on the same page. Although it probably won't be possible to calculate with any accuracy until nearer the time reentry occurs, as with most satellites, the majority of the orbit tracks are over ocean, so they remain the highest probability of where anything that survives the atmosphere ends up.

Just to keep things on topic for the forum, here's the station's 5 minutes of movie fame in Gravity.

Landing scene from Morons From Outer Space, a satirical spoof on many different movies of its era:
https://youtu.be/pLcJLWq01_g?t=121

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

So much space "junk" out there....
Since it was never designed for reentry, let's hope that the majority of it (and its toxic payload) desintegrates in the atmosphere. :unsure:

I feel as if we are in some sort of alternate Richard Matheson plane of existence on these boards.
Where the "living" occupy the day, and the Vampires and Zombies control the night....
Right now I feel like I am the only "live" poster here.... a kindred spirit to Robert Neville, awaiting the returning sunlight! :ph34r:

Just now, Stephan55 said:

I feel like we are in some sort of alternate Richard Matheson plane of existence on these boards.
Where the "living" occupy the day, and the Vampires and Zombies control the night....
Right now I feel like I am the only "live" poster here.... a kindred spirit to Robert Neville, awaiting the returning sunlight! :ph34r:

Hey! I'm alive!

23 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Since it was never designed for reentry, let's hope that the majority of it (and its toxic payload) desintegrates in the atmosphere. :unsure:

It wasn't intended to remain in orbit forever, so in that respect, reentry was always in the plan - the problem here appears to be that data communication with the station has been lost, so a controlled (and more predictable) descent is no longer possible. Things like rocket engines may be of sufficient density for parts to make it down, but the odds of them causing significant problems are still very small. I assume that the toxic chemical is likely fuel - given that the station is several years past it's originally planned 2013 de-orbit, most of it has probably been used up by now.

5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Landing scene from Morons From Outer Space, a satirical spoof on many different movies of its era:
https://youtu.be/pLcJLWq01_g?t=121

LOL. I used to drive past (rather than through) a Hertford & the North sign like that quite often. Love how the cars on the carriageway start spontaneously exploding as the spacecraft scrapes along the tarmac, hooting it's space-horn! :)

• Like 1

Maybe the moderators should make any (or every) English language topic a "stickies" so the Korean spam is always buried at the bottom? Really, this is getting ridiculous. Every day.