SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

1,429 posts in this topic

The automated TCM Mods are slipping. This should have moved already.

42 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

The automated TCM Mods are slipping. This should have moved already.

I assume you're joking,  since there is an automated word censoring program and not an automated move-threads program (so don't give the mods any ideas,  ok!!).   

51 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume you're joking,  since there is an automated word censoring program and not an automated move-threads program (so don't give the mods any ideas,  ok!!).   

Only joking a little, as there aren't any Moderators to communicate with. Things just happen, automatically, it seems. This thread was morphed into a thread where it doesn't necessarily belong.

14 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Only joking a little, as there aren't any Moderators to communicate with. Things just happen, automatically, it seems. This thread was morphed into a thread where it doesn't necessarily belong.

A mod will move a thread from time to time and in most cases it was the 'correct' thing to do (e.g.  General Discussion is for general discussions related to movies and chit-chat is for NON movie general discussions).

A mod will rarely combine threads but when it does occur most of the time it is warranted;  e.g. when an actor dies different users will create tribute threads;  a mod will combine all of these into one.

Note that when a thread is moved,  it will remain under it's previous 'forum' (for a while,,, how long I don't know),  and if one clicks on this they are taken to the new location \ forum. 

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A mod will move a thread from time to time and in most cases it was the 'correct' thing to do (e.g.  General Discussion is for general discussions related to movies and chit-chat is for NON movie general discussions).

A mod will rarely combine threads but when it does occur most of the time it is warranted;  e.g. when an actor dies different users will create tribute threads;  a mod will combine all of these into one.

Note that when a thread is moved,  it will remain under it's previous 'forum' (for a while,,, how long I don't know),  and if one clicks on this they are taken to the new location \ forum. 

I'm a little slow. The common thread in these two threads is spam, nothing else. I feel this is automated.

4 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I'm a little slow. The common thread in these two threads is spam, nothing else. I feel this is automated.

I don't think combining threads is automated because if it was it would occur much more often and would combine threads where nothing was in common.      I say this because the automated word censoring software is so flawed that I find it hard to believe they could find software that combined threads that wasn't equally flawed.   

I enjoy the TCM Message Board, but not when NOBODY at TCM seems to be paying attention to anything we say!

It's not as if it's disrupting a lot of scintillating discussion this evening. 

Anyway, the spammers seem to know when the moderator(s) take their breaks, and strike accordingly.

11 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I enjoy the TCM Message Board, but not when NOBODY at TCM seems to be paying attention to anything we say!

Test (Trying to figure out how to quote in a different thread than the one the original post appears in)

Try posting a nude photo of Barbara Stanwyck. That might get someone's attention.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Test (Trying to figure out how to quote in a different thread than the one the original post appears in)

Now this could get interesting. I've heard of quoting things out of context, but out of other threads? This opens up some wonderful possibilities for misunderstandings. Thanks. And I know you are just bored tonight. :)

Boy, it doesn't take long to achieve "advanced member" status around here.

189 pages of spam today ... those damn Russians.

Somewhere in this mess is the spam thread, but i wasn't going to go looking for it.

Oh ... and this thread (and others) have somehow been "enlarged" in my viewing screen. 

• Thanks 1

It was actually over 300 pages earlier this morning, and it's Korean, not Russian (I know you know).

And I have completely lost my sense of humor on this subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those spam filters are working! Expect this thread to be poofed shortly. I'll be back when it's over (whenever that is)....

I was pushing page 200 very early this morning, trying to find the first non spam thread, jumping ahead five pages at a time. I couldn't stand it any more at around p. 176 and went back to bed.

Down to 132 pages now ... and the viewing window has returned to normal. Not sure what that was all about. The other forums were not affected.

So, looks like the Mods have no trouble merging my thread with this one, but cannot fix the issue.

Seems there might be a change to the forum, most likely unintended.  My laptop display is 1600x900 and I can only see about half the width using the scroll bar at the bottom at any given time.  So it is approaching the width that only a 4K screen will show all at once.

This reminds me that we recently had an 8" hornet nest pop up on a 2nd floor eave of our house.  These guys are really into rapid prototyping, just like the spammers.  I knocked it off the house with a long three-segment extension pole and a whisk broom duct-taped to the end.  Then we sprayed it as soon as it hit the ground with foaming wasp spray.  Finally  there was a bit of the nest still remaining up on the eaves, and about 100 angry hornets nearby.  Thinking quickly, I taped a 1/2-full spraycan to the end of the pole.  Then I took a wire coat hanger and bent it into the shape of a "W" (with a short apex in the middle and the legs on the sides being longer.  I ran a long cord through the ends of the legs of the coathanger, and fit the apex into the recessed push-button on the top of the spray can.  Pull the cord and it sprays.  I was able to empty the rest of the can on the remainder of the nest, from well over 20 feet away.  Nobody got stung.

The 20 foot Raid or Black Flag types of spray cans only shoot 20 feet for about a couple seconds, and even less that that if you point it upwards into the air, so don't expect those to get the job done from any kind of distance - even less so for an elevation.  That leaves you with a bunch left over that you'd have to use in closer proximity, which is exactly what I did, but just not up close and in person.

In order for the coat-hanger idea to work, it is essential to get the type of spray can that has a recessed push-button on the top - like this:

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/wasp-and-hornet-spray.jpg

EDIT: Joined text lines, since things were fixed.