SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

1,440 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

But yeah, message received, and I'll try not to respond to you, or this topic, in the future.

I have been here less than a year. Just because you have 26,000+ more posts than me, doesn't mean you can be disrespectful. How long would it take for any of the old-timers to say, "been there, done that?" I am new this year to the spam issue. I am not the only to claim it seems to be worse than ever. All you have to do is click on the AdChoices at the very bottom of this page, and you will see Turner is already collecting data.

I will continue to post here and take my chances. I also suggest shutting it down is a better choice than not maintaining it. I suggested an alternative to this forum just 7 hours ago. In taking a quick glance at it, the data here might be transferable to a new site.

Here is the other forum. I have used it before.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/

48 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I have been here less than a year. Just because you have 26,000+ more posts than me, doesn't mean you can be disrespectful. 

I'm the one being disrespectful? Weren't you the one who said that I wasn't offering anything? As far as I can tell, I just said that I didn't like the idea of there being advertising added to the message boards. But continue to insult me if it makes you feel better. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm the one being disrespectful? Weren't you the one who said that I wasn't offering anything? As far as I can tell, I just said that I didn't like the idea of there being advertising added to the message boards. But continue to insult me if it makes you feel better. 

I don't need this. I will depart.

Anybody else getting a notice about waiting 5 seconds before you post again? Just noticed it today, when I tried to make consecutive posts. Is this new? Seems I remember somebody saying something about this before.

Common anti-spam software (used by every other message board) limits new posts by a member. For example: no more than 3 new posts (per name) per 10 minutes, or no more than 5 new posts per 5 minutes.

The moderators can change the number/frequency to suit themselves.

Spammers often get around this by registering new member names every 3 new posts. It's all done instantly by computer software anyway, never a real person (too slow!) This board my have a 5 second delay set, which is why you received that "notice".

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

The Mods can also delete whole threads, just because. The TCM Weed thread, which was meant to be fun, and a possibility one day, seems to be MIA.

Yes, apparently it went up in smoke.

• Haha 7

Just now, SansFin said:

Did I miss the explanation for why this is no longer a problem?

Does it matter? As long as it's not still a problem, most of us are probably happy.

1 minute ago, SansFin said:

TCM hired some ogres.

Ogres > Fairies. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SansFin said:

We still need the explanation of why they did it in the first place.

Considering the current takeover of these discussions, I'm kinda hankerin' after the old Korean kind.  At least there were fun letters to look at.

7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Considering the current takeover of these discussions,

Takeover? Can you clarify? 

If you don't care for the current discussions, start one of your own. Better yet, why not enliven a sub-forum with a new post?

Or just wait it out like the rest of us. Eventually trolls get bored if/when no one responds to their drivel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I mean is, when there is an abrupt proliferation of posts from one source, you must question the motives and sources.