Sign in to follow this  
nsallieharding

Foreign Films

44 posts in this topic

Crack-Up (1946)

(Not available on DVD or VHS)

Turner Classic Movies Mar 11 08:00am

I think this is a good noir film. A murder, a mystery, a painting theft or did the painting sink in a shipwreck?, a strange mystery on a train (did the train crash or did it not crash?), more mystery, mind-altering drugs, who is crazy?

--------------------------------------------------------

Seven Samurai (1954)

Turner Classic Movies Mar 23 06:00am

Movies, 210 Mins.

**** (Rated NR)

Director: Akira Kurosawa.

Throne of Blood (1957)

Turner Classic Movies Mar 23 09:30am

Movies, 110 Mins.

**** (Rated NR)

Yojimbo (1961)

Turner Classic Movies Mar 23 11:30am

Movies, 120 Mins.

**** (Rated NR)

----------------------------------------------------------

Place Vend?me (1998)

Sundance Channel Mar 08 10:00pm

Movies, 120 Mins.

*** (Rated NR)

The death of Vincent, the director of one of the prestigious jewelry shop on chic Place Vend?me, leaves his wife, Marrianne, at a terrible crossroads in her life. Her life has been marked by sadness. Though she does retain some of her grace and elegance, Marianne lives in a boozy stupor most of the time... until the day she discovers seven magnificent diamonds stashed away in her husband's hidden chest. Their beauty slowly awakens her passion.

Cast: Catherine Deneuve, Jean-Pierre Bacri, Emmanuelle Seigner, Jacques Dutronc, Bernard Fresson, Francois Berleand, Fran?ois Berl?and, Philippe Clevenot, Laszlo Szabo, Dragan Nikolic, Otto Tausig, Malik Zidi.

Director: Nicole Garcia.

Producers: Christine Gozlan, Alain Sarde.

McVicar (1980)

Sundance Channel Mar 09 09:00am

Movies, Runtime: 90 min

*** (Rated R)

John McVicar was a London Bad Boy. he graduated to armed bank robbery and was Britain's "Public Enemy No. 1". He was captured and put into a high security prison. Will even the highest security prison be able to hold him ? This is the true story of his life, his criminal exploits and his eventual rehabilitation.

Cast: Roger Daltrey, Adam Faith, Cheryl Campbell, Steven Berkoff, Brian Hall, Jeremy Blake, Leonard Gregory , Peter Jonfield, Anthony Trent, Matthew Scurfield.

Director: Tom Clegg.

Producers: Bill Curbishley, Roy Baird,RogerDaltrey.

The Man Who Loved Women (1977)

SHOW Mar 13 02:35am SHOWP Mar 13 05:35am

Movies, 130 Mins.

*** (Rated NR)

(Director Cameo: [Francois Truffaut] man outside cemetery at the beginning of the film).

Many women are attending Bertrand Morane's burial. They are all the ones that 40 years old engineer loved. Flashback : Bertrand's life and love affairs, told by himself while writing an autobiographical novel. A film about the love relationships, the need to charm and the literary creation.

Cast: Charles Denner, Brigitte Fossey, Nelly Borgeaud, Leslie Caron, Genevieve Fontanel, Nathalie Baye, Sabine Glaser, Valerie Bonnier, Martine Chassing, Roselyne Puyo.

Director: Francois Truffaut, Fran?ois Truffaut.

Europa Europa (1990)

***R

UPCOMING AIRDATES:

Flix Mar 19 12:30 AM, Mar 24 8:00 PM, Mar 28 11:35 PM.

A Jewish boy separated from his family in the early days of WWII poses as a German orphan and is taken into the heart of the Nazi world as a 'war hero' and eventually becomes a Hitler Youth. Although improbabilities and happenstance are cornerstones of the film, it is based upon a true story.

Trivia for

Europa Europa (1990)

* The film met with a lukewarm reception in its native Germany, with the local media being less than complementary about it. The German Oscar selection committee did not even include it as a submission for that year's Best Foreign Language Film Oscar. Much embarrassment ensued when it went on to become one of the most successful German films ever released in the US, winning a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Ricordati di me (2003) *** (Rated R)

Sundance Channel Mar 23 12:00am

Also Known As:

Remember Me (International: English title)

Remember Me, My Love (USA)

Souviens-toi de moi (France)

Runtime: 125 min

Language: Italian

Plot summary from IMDB:

The story of a normal Italian family in which come out the dreams of those who have lost their possibilities and of those who want to realize them. Carlo (Fabrizio Bentivoglio) and Giulia (Laura Morante) are a married couple who have each given up their aspirations in order to live an average life. Their 19-year-old son, Paolo (Silvio Muccino), is having trouble finding an identity, while their 18-year-old daughter, Valentina (Nicoletta Romanoff), has already figured out how to use sex to her advantage. The family goes through a crisis when Carlo begins having an affair, Giulia attempt to seduce the director of a local stage production she is in, and Valentina does what she does best to land an audition for a TV show.

Director: Gabriele Muccino. Writing credits: Gabriele Muccino and Heidrun Schleef.

Cast: Fabrizio Bentivoglio, Laura Morante, Nicoletta Romanoff, Monica Bellucci, Silvio Muccino, Gabriele Lavia, Enrico Silvestrin, Silvia Cohen, Alberto Gimignani, Amanda Sandrelli, Blas Roca Rey, Pietro Taricone , Giulia Michelini , Maria Chiara Augenti , Andrea Roncato.

Director: Gabriele Muccino.

Producer: Domenico Procacci.

Writers: Gabriele Muccino, Heidrun Schleef.

Distribution: Fandango

Gertrud (1965)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 08 02:00am

Movies, 120 Mins.

*** (Rated NR)

In the elegant world of artists and musicians, Gertrud ends her marriage to Gustav and takes a lover, the composer Erland Jansson. When he also fails to live up to her idealistic standards, she leaves him and imposes on herself a kind of exile of the heart. In flashbacks and in conversations laced with memories, we also learn of her affair with Gabriel, who still wishes she would go off with him, and we learn of her adolescence, with its early expression of her isolating ideal of absolute love.

Cast: Nina Pena Rode, Ebbe Rode, Axel Gebuhr, Bendt Rothe.

Director: Carl Theodor Dreyer.

Producer: Jorgen Nielsen .

Writers: Carl Theodor Dreyer, Hjalmar S?derberg .

Distribution: Palladium Film

American Matchmaker (1940)(Not on DVD or VHS)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 15 03:45am

Also Known As:

American Matchmaker

Amerikaner Shadkhn (revisionist title spelling)

The Marriage Broker

Runtime: 85 min (copyright length) / 87 min (1998 restoration)

Language: Yiddish / English

Leo Fuchs, the "Yiddish Fred Astaire," stars in this musical comedy as Nat Silver, a debonair and fabulously wealthy Jewish-American businessman whose recent engagement (his eighth) goes awry. So this slick sophistocate decides that he must learn how to arrange a good marriage in order to find himself a good match, and reinvents himself as a shadkhn (matchmaker). Not your traditional matchmaker, Nat sets off on his new venture, which he knows nothing about, in ascot and morning coat, and refuses to charge for his services, a policy which gets him picketed by the local shadkhonim. The East European shtetl mores meet New York sophistication in this urbane romantic comedy. As in the best Yiddish theater traditions, there is a successful combination of humor and schmaltz, with the sentimentality at the end well-earned by the comic insights along the way... None is more charming than American Matchmaker. The title says it all a clash between the urbane, slick manners of the new country and the old, busybody communal ways of the shtetl. Films, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, January 1983.

Cast: Leo Fuchs, Yudel Dubinsky, Judith Abarbanel, Anna Guskin, Celia Brodkin, Rosetta Bialis, Abraham Lax, William Mercur, Jacob Mestel, Maurice Schwartz, Arianhe Ulmer, E. Adler, M. Grossman, M. Henig.

Director: Edgar G. Ulmer.

Producer: Edgar G. Ulmer.

Writer: Shirley Ulmer.

L'Inondation (1994)

SUNDAE Apr 11 10:00pm.

Also Known As:

Inondation, L'

The Flood

Runtime: Germany:93 min / Russia:99 min

Language: French

Color: Color

Awards: 1 nomination Golden Leopard 1994 Igor Minayev.

(Rated NR)

An insecure woman seeks revenge after her husband sleeps with their adopted orphan. Adapted from Evgueni Ziamatine's novel of the same name, "L'Inondation" in French or "The Flood". The picture deals with a range of women's issues, including infidelity, infertility, discrimination, and jealously, all dealt with in remarkable depth by the perfectly casted Isabelle Huppert. Adult Situations; Language; Nudity.

Cast: Isabelle Huppert, Boris Nevzorov, Svetlana Kryuchkova, Masha Lipkina , Natalya Yegorova .

Director: Igor Minayev .

allieharding, send me an e-mail or a private message with your choice of prizes and shipping address so that I can have your TCM Challenge award sent to you. Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation on Chushingura, I will check it out.I like long films so that is no problem at all, in fact I Iean towards them and BBC series of the 60's and 70's that run 14 hours or more (The Forsyte Saga (1967), The Duchess of Duke Street (1976), The Mayor of Casterbridge (1978),The Pallisers (1974) etc.

As an utter foreign cinema fanatic, I think Fellini is essential in this category. As Roberto Benigni pointed out, "Fellini belongs to nature". His movies are part of nature. Nothing cinematic about them. They are an unique form of reality- Fellini's reality, which we can all relate to. If you ever get a chance, get familiar with this reality and become a part of it. It will make your lives sweeter :). Enjoy!

> Thanks for the recommendation on Chushingura, I will

> check it out.I like long films so that is no problem

> at all, in fact I Iean towards them and BBC series of

> the 60's and 70's that run 14 hours or more (The

> Forsyte Saga (1967), The Duchess of Duke Street

> (1976), The Mayor of Casterbridge (1978),The

> Pallisers (1974) etc.

Sounds like me, Hamlets just a short story to me. I've had people tell me that they had a hard time following the story because there are so many characters in it. It's the story of the 47 Ronin (masterless samuri) so that tells you some of what your up against. I hope you like it as much as I do. I'm also part Japanese so it's a story I heard, alot.

Jules and Jim (1961)

Flix Jun 04 06:05pm / Jun 08 06:15am / Jun 08 02:45pm

**** (Rated NR)

In Paris, 1900, two friends, Jules (Austrian) and Jim (French) fall in love with the same woman, Catherine. But Catherine loves and marries Jules. After WWI, when they meet again in Germany, Catherine starts to love Jim... This is the story of three people in love, a love which does not affect their friendship, and about how their relationship envolves with the years.

Cast: Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner, Henri Serre, Marie Dubois, Vanna Urbino, Sabine Haudepin, Boris Bassiak, Kate Noelle.

Director: Francois Truffaut, Fran?ois Truffaut.

Producer: Marcel Berbert

Au Revoir les Enfants (1987)

Flix Jun 08 08:00am / Jun 08 04:35pm

Also Known As:

Auf Wiedersehen, Kinder (West Germany)

Goodbye, Children (International: English title)

Nouveau, Le (France) (working title)

Runtime: 104 min

***+ (Rated PG)

A French schoolboy befriends a mysterious new student who is hiding from the Nazis. Adult Situations; Language.

Cast: Gaspard Manesse, Raphael Fejto, Francine Racette, Stanislas Carre DeMalberg, Philippe Morier-Genoud, Fran?ois Berl?and, Francois Negret, Peter Fitz, Pascal Rivet, Benoit Henriet, Richard Leboeuf, Xavier Legrand, Arnaud Henriet, Jean-Sebastien Chauvin, Luc Etienne, Daniel Edinger, Marcel Bellot, Ami Flammer, Ir?ne Jacob, Jean-Paul Dubarry.

Director: Louis Malle.

Producer: Christian Ferry.

Caravaggio (1986)

Sundance Channel Jun 06 11:35pm

Runtime: 93 min

*** (Rated NR)

A tongue-in-cheek portrait of the Renaissance artist said to have invented chiaroscuro and killed the man who was his lover.

Cast: Nigel Terry, Sean Bean, Michael Gough.

Director: Derek Jarman.

An excellent Scandinavian film called "Pathfinder", made in the early 90s, set 1000 years ago. I was lucky enough to see it in a theatre, well worth anyone's time and, as I recall, OK for family viewing.

I just watched "Slave of Love" a 1976 Soviet film directed by Nikita Mikalkhov, who did "Burnt by the Sun" in the 90s.

"Slave of Love" is about a silent film company making films in the Crimea during the Russian Civil War in "White" territory. One of the filmmakers is a secret Bolshevik, and the net is tightening about him.

This was very interesting and enjoyable, better than Lean's "Dr. Zhivago" in my opinion.

> I just watched "Slave of Love" a 1976 Soviet film

> directed by Nikita Mikalkhov, who did "Burnt by the

> Sun" in the 90s.

>

> "Slave of Love" is about a silent film company making

> films in the Crimea during the Russian Civil War in

> "White" territory. One of the filmmakers is a secret

> Bolshevik, and the net is tightening about him.

>

> This was very interesting and enjoyable, better than

> Lean's "Dr. Zhivago" in my opinion.

Watch out ! Don't watch those films, to you want someone to call you "a stinking Red" .

What channel was Slave of Love on, I keep up with foreign films on TV and I have not seen it listed on Showtime Unlimited which plays all of the foreign films usually?

Raba lyubvi (1976)

Runtime: 94 min

Language: Russian

Olga Voznesenskaya is a silent screen star whose pictures are so popular that underground revolutionaries risk capture to see them. She's in southern Russia filming a tear-jerker as the Bolsheviks get closer to Moscow. Although married, she spends time every day with Victor Pototsky, the film's cameraman. Gradually, it comes to light that Victor uses his job as a cover for filming White atrocities and Red heroism: he's a Bolshevik. He asks her for help, and she discovers meaning in her otherwise flighty and self-centered life. Love blooms. Will the Red forces arrive in time to save them from a suspicious White military leader? Will she find courage?

Directed by

Nikita Mikhalkov

Writing credits

Fridrikh Gorenshtein

Andrei Konchalovsky

Bang Rajan (2001)

Movies, 120 Mins.

*** (Rated R)

Thai villagers fight a brave but hopeless battle against Burmese invaders in the 18th century. Adult Situations.

Cast: Winai Krailbutr , Bin Bunluerit, Jaran Ngamdee, Chumphorn Thepphithak, Attakorn Suwannaraj, Bongkoj Khongmalai, Suntharee Maila-or, Phutharit Prombandal, Phisate Sangsuwan, Krit Suwannapaph, Mattawut Suwannarat.

Future Airings:

* Bang Rajan (2001), SHOWX Aug 18 10:00pm

* Bang Rajan (2001), SHOWX Aug 21 10:00pm

* Bang Rajan (2001), SHOCSE Aug 24 12:45am

* Bang Rajan (2001), SHOWX Aug 27 12:20am

This is a good film and Showtime is showing it in Letterbox which is something the others (HBO, Cinemax, Encore) don't do.

Onmyoji 2(2003)

Future Airings:

* Onmyoji 2(2003), SHOWB Aug 16 05:05am

* Onmyoji 2(2003), SHOWB Aug 18 08:35am

* Onmyoji 2(2003), SHOWB Aug 18 04:10pm

* Onmyoji 2(2003), SHOWB Aug 21 11:25am

* Onmyoji 2(2003), SHOWB Aug 21 08:05pm

Directed by Yojiro Takita

Writing credits Itaru Era, Yojiro Takita

Cast:

Mansai Nomura .... Abe no Seimei

Hideaki Ito .... Minamoto no Hiromasa