Sign in to follow this  
Orlygr

Name 2 of Your Favorite Comedic Westerns

55 posts in this topic

"Destry rides again" is one of my favorites. Maybe it is too downbeat in spots to be a "comic" western, but I love the humor of Stewart, Mischa Auer and Charles Winninger.

"Go West" with the Marx Brothers really made me laugh when I saw it a few years ago. It is the best of their later movies for MGM. The scene in which they utterly wreck the railroad train is wild.

As for short western comedies, I just saw "An Eastern Westerner" with Harold Lloyd on DVD. He plays a New York playboy whose exasperated parents send him out west. I expected Harold the poor tenderfoot would be at the mercy of the tough hombres, but the film makes Harold unexpectedly resourceful, and the film one of the funniest Lloyd shorts that I have seen. I think TMC is showing this short some time this month. I strongly recommend it.

Sergeants 3 ( where is it)

Blazing saddles

Last night I saw a great print of Johnny Guitar on the big screen of a local rep house. It's all so heightened; every emotion, every line reading. I'm wondering if it could count as a Favorite Comedic Western...

I think the funniest western moovie is Destry Rides Again- I don't know if that was intended to be a straight comedy, but it worked, had me rollin. Maybe it was because of Deitrich and Stewart. Marlena had to have sects with every leading man for it to work right, but hey whatever makes a film work. There was a later remake in colour, that can be tossed out on it's ear- Not worthy to even be named (mostly cos I dont remember the name ahaha)

I also liked Fort Apache. It was not realy a funny moovie, but it had a bunch of parts in it that were hilarious. Any moovie with Andrew Mclaughlan (correct me- Spelling or name) and John Wayne has got to have you in stiches.

Oh yah:

"I just saw "An Eastern Westerner"-

Yah, me too: They showed it last Sunday Night, I stayed up cos I love Harold Lloyd, silent of talkies he's hilarious.

Oops sorry that makes Three, but I was just reacting to the other guys post, that's not one of my favorites, but it is pretty funny.

Message was messed up by:

weAponX

A very funny movie that I didn't think of before because it is "contemporary" (1920s) is Buster Keaton's "Go West." The climax of the film is unforgettable. The bad guy has relased all the cattle into the streets of Los Angeles. Buster has to get them to the railroad and the only idea he has is that bulls are upset by the color red. So he runs into a costume store and comes out dressed up like the devil. He runs through the streets of Los Angeles dressed like the devil and all the cattle follow him.

This is funny and it also lets you understand why some people see Keaton as a surrealist or an influence on the surrealists.

I didn't even know about "Go West" until I stumbled on it on Netflix. I haven't seen it yet but anxiously await its arrival. With your comments I know I'll enjoy it. Thanks for putting it on here.

A movie named 'Two Rode Together' was more of a comedy-drama, but some of the situations, and the kibitzing between James Stewart and Richard Widmark are priceless - two great actors with just the right inflection in their voices, double take looks, ironic coments, and facial expressions make you laugh constantly in between the seious scenes, and there ARE a lot of laughs.

Secondly I'd say just about any of the John Wayne/John Ford movies with their buddies, Harry Carey, Andrew McGlaughlin, Ward Bond etc. especially later when Patrick Wayne got old enough to always play the ridiculous rookie.

> A movie named 'Two Rode Together' was more of

> a comedy-drama, but some of the situations, and the

> kibitzing between James Stewart and Richard Widmark

> are priceless - two great actors with just the right

> inflection in their voices, double take looks, ironic

> coments, and facial expressions make you laugh

> constantly in between the seious scenes, and there

> ARE a lot of laughs.

>

> Secondly I'd say just about any of the John

> Wayne/John Ford movies with their buddies, Harry

> Carey, Andrew McGlaughlin, Ward Bond etc. especially

> later when Patrick Wayne got old enough to always

> play the ridiculous rookie.

Ford considered "Two Rode Together":" as the worse piece of crap that I have directed in twenty years", according to "John Ford :The Complete Films" by Scott Eyman (p 167 )

I consider Two Rode Together are a great Western,one that deals with many social issues. It is Very funny !

They would have to be 1

Support your Local Sheriff

Support Your Local Gunfighter/ Jack is funny in them.

Last but not least Blazing Saddles!That whole cast was so funny.

I think Cheyenne Social Club is pretty funny. (Someone mentioned it below.) Jimmy Stewart inherits a "social club" that turns out to be a brothel. (That's not really a spoiler.) I don't think it would be nearly as funny with anyone but Jimmy Stewart in that role. Shirley Jones is also good in it. I don't remember seeing her mentioned anywhere else on this board, but she was great as Laurey in Oklahoma! (Do I have to put the "!"?)

You'd think Clint Eastwood singing in Paint Your Wagon would be funny, but it's not. He's actually pretty good.

> Limit your post to 2 please

>

> Ok my first will be "Support Your Local Sheriff"

> starring James Garner with a great supporting cast

> including Bruce Dern< an actor I still dislike for

> murdering John Wayne in The Cowboys.

>

> My next is a little known about comedy called "Dirty

> Dingus Mcgee" starring of all people Frank Sinatra

> with George Kennedy which is a hoot and a holler.

John Ford allegedly had a crush on Shirley Jones during the filming of "Two Rode Together ", co - starring Stewart and Widmark. I say for at least the 50th time that " Two..." is a very underrated Western !

It has been a long time since I saw "Two Rode Together" and the one time I saw it, the TV station cut the movie so it started with Stewart and Widmark sitting by the river and talking. However, I have to say that I found the movie fascinating, and I am always surprised whenever I find it described as one of Ford's worst movies. I suppose I will have to see it again, but I find it more worthwhile than Huston's "The Unforgiven" for example.

> It has been a long time since I saw "Two Rode

> Together" and the one time I saw it, the TV station

> cut the movie so it started with Stewart and Widmark

> sitting by the river and talking. However, I have to

> say that I found the movie fascinating, and I am

> always surprised whenever I find it described as one

> of Ford's worst movies. I suppose I will have to see

> it again, but I find it more worthwhile than Huston's

> "The Unforgiven" for example.

If you have Encore Western channel they show "Two Rode Together " often, they have shown it may times this month. It is a very good Western. "Rode " and "The Gunfighter " are available on Reg. 2 DVD--- why not Reg. 1 for the U. S. and Canada ?

Ken:

"The Gunfighter" has shown up on my "On Demand" on my cable system. It is under the Encore Movieplex title. Comcast is my cable company so somebody must be showing it. I hope you catch it.

Chris

> Ken:

>

> "The Gunfighter" has shown up on my "On Demand" on my

> cable system. It is under the Encore Movieplex title.

> Comcast is my cable company so somebody must be

> showing it. I hope you catch it.

>

> Chris

Thanks ! I have Comcast too, but I never think of playing on demand !

> It has been a long time since I saw "Two Rode

> Together" and the one time I saw it, the TV station

> cut the movie so it started with Stewart and Widmark

> sitting by the river and talking. However, I have to

> say that I found the movie fascinating,

That's a shame because you missed the idea behind the end when they returned to town and Jimmy Stewarts consternation with the 'new' sheriff. Try to catch it on TCM or some other channel that shows the whole movie.

The first one is "Destry Rides Again", with Marlene Dietrich and James Stewart. The best scene is where Stewart comes walking up slowly to Marlene and Una Merkel and pours a bucket of water on them. Una is embarrased and runs out quickly from the saloon. But Marlene, well, she gets up and turns quickly around with a gun in her hand. Stewart says, "Now look here, lady". Then she starts throwing beer bottles, a guitar, and a wooden chair and more beer bottles at him. The ending of the movie is a good comical scene where Boris is jumping up and down on the bed. Una thinks he has gone mad. Boris says that he is tired of seeing the picture of his relative on the wall, and tells his wife that a new regime is here. He asks his wife for his name and she is slow at telling him what it is. He shakes his finger in her face and says, "Now, see that you don't forget it".

My second one is "In Old California", with John Wayne. Patsy Kelly, I think her name is, is a great comedianne in this movie and she steals the show.

I haven't seen Destry Rides Again for many years. This thread makes me want to watch it again!

When I was a kid, I really liked The Cheyenne Social Club with James Stewart, Henry Fonda and Shirley Jones. I'd like to see it again to see if it still measures up.

Sandy K

Sandy:

It's funny you mention these two. I watched a taped copy of "Destry Rides Again" over the weekend and enjoyed it. Stewart is his laid back best and Dietrich is good too. I don't care much for her singing. The one thing I had fun with was showing my daughter where Madeline Kahn came from for "Blazing Saddles."

Did you understand what "The Cheyenne Social Club" was really about as a kid? I always loved the scenes with Fonda and Stewart. They were just really funny together, IMO. It's not a great film but I think it's fun.

Chris

No, I didn't REALLY understand what it was about. I always thought that they were dance-hall girls, had no idea that could mean prostitute as well! Don't even think I knew what prostitution was. It's kind of funny to realize how kids will just find an explanation for things they don't fully understand.

Sandy K

There are several, but I still believe the comedic spaghetti westerns of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer are tops. "Lo chiamavano Trinit?" ("They Call Me Trinity" from 1970), being the first of their duo films, I still consider one of the funniest ever put to celluloid.

My second choice would be an incredible 11-minute spoof of western clich?s by Chuck Menville & Len Janson, the very bizarre live-action/animation short, "Blaze Glory" (from 1969). FKING Hilarious.