Sign in to follow this  
wouldbestar

The Tall Target - can you believe this?

11 posts in this topic

De-de, de-de, de-de, de-de

"There is a fifth dimension, one we call The Twilight Zone," and this film came from there. 

John Kennedy, played by Dick Powell, tries to stop an assassination of Abraham Lincoln on his way to his inauguration.  He does this time but is not around four years later at Ford's Theater.  As we all know Evelyn Lincoln was the secretary to another John Kennedy who would occupy the office exactly 100 years later and suffer the same fate.  The only thing missing was Rod Serling's commentary. 

Actually this was a good movie with several recognizable actors in the cast:  Marshall Thompson, Paula Raymond and Will Geer for starters.  I'm curious as to why it's never been promoted that heavily due to all the ironies.  Thanks TCM, for helping us discover it.

• Like 1

De-de, de-de, de-de, de-de

"There is a fifth dimension, one we call The Twilight Zone," and this film came from there. 

John Kennedy, played by Dick Powell, tries to stop an assassination of Abraham Lincoln on his way to his inauguration.  He does this time but is not around four years later at Ford's Theater.  As we all know Evelyn Lincoln was the secretary to another John Kennedy who would occupy the office exactly 100 years later and suffer the same fate.  The only thing missing was Rod Serling's commentary. 

Actually this was a good movie with several recognizable actors in the cast:  Marshall Thompson, Paula Raymond and Will Geer for starters.  I'm curious as to why it's never been promoted that heavily due to all the ironies.  Thanks TCM, for helping us discover it.

AND, let us not forget here that in both cases of these assassinated presidents, a Johnson succeeded them in office.

(...settle down Rich...no, neither Johnson was named Tor)

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but just as Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, didn't Lincoln have a secretary named Kennedy? Another bizarre coincidence.

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but just as Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, didn't Lincoln have a secretary named Kennedy? Another bizarre coincidence.

Yeah, I believe that's true, Tom.

BUT,  ya know what's even MORE of a bizarre coincidence than THAT?! Well, believe it or not, BOTH Lincoln AND Kennedy had an UNDER secretary named TRUMP!

And not only THAT, but word is both of THOSE Trumps were as obnoxious as the guy with the same last name we're seein' all the time on our TVs now days!

(...talk about your "bizarre coincidences", EH?!!!)

;)

Yeah, I believe that's true, Tom.

BUT,  ya know what's even MORE of a bizarre coincidence than THAT?! Well, believe it or not, BOTH Lincoln AND Kennedy had an UNDER secretary named TRUMP!

And not only THAT, but word is both of THOSE Trumps were as obnoxious as the guy with the same last name we're seein' all the time on our TVs now days!

(...talk about your "bizarre coincidences", EH?!!!)

;)

They're probably all related. I wonder if those other Trumps looked like they were wearing hair pieces, too.

• Like 1

No, this is all mixed up. Kennedy did his secretary in a Lincoln.

• Like 1

AND, let us not forget here that in both cases of these assassinated presidents, a Johnson succeeded them in office.

(...settle down Rich...no, neither Johnson was named Tor)

Wait a minute ..... what about that film, TORnessee Johnson?

• Like 1

Aside from the Lincoln-Kennedy coincidences, The Tall Target is a solid suspense thriller, even if we know what the final outcome will be. It's still intriguing in the getting there.

Dick Powell is solid in the lead, and Adolphe Menjou always excelled at playing smooth talking characters who may be corrupt or villainous. I have read some posters saying that they don't like Menjou but I think he was an excellent actor, in comedy as well as drama, aside from whatever I think of the characters he plays.

• Like 2

Please, I'm being overwhelmed by all these tasteful comments.

Yes, sad what's happened to these boards.  Yawn.