Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

Black Sunday, The Mask Of Satan 1960

4 posts in this topic

Here's a great horror classic that doesn't get shown on tv enough. Glad I found a good dvd copy several years ago.  I wish TCM could get a hold of this film sometime and give it a decent  prime time slot.

• Like 1

Here's a great horror classic that doesn't get shown on tv enough. Glad I found a good dvd copy several years ago.  I wish TCM could get a hold of this film sometime and give it a decent  prime time slot.

My wife saw this when she was in college and came across a DVD about 10+ years ago.  Purchased it, but the quality isn't too good.  I watched it, but don't remember a lot about it other than Barbara Steele being the star.  Loaned it to somebody, so will have to wait to watch it again.

I don't know a lot about foreign films and their directors but this film by Italian  Mario Bava is often cited as a favorite among many prominent directors of today. (refer to the lengthy Wiki entry for BLACK SUNDAY).   It is quite scary, very graphic for its time but tame by today's standards. Yet it is very suspenseful and well filmed, holding up very well (better?) then much of today's  film making.  I first saw this film on late night tv many years ago ( the edited release by American International Pictures) and all I can say is that it left a lasting impression on me.  The dvd I have today is the complete unaltered version, except for the english language dubbing.

• Like 1

Black Sunday (1960) is tame by todays' standards but there are moments where everything is left to the viewers' imagination in Black Sunday--& three (at least) of them are doozies,  Plus, this Mario Bava's debut (?) and is his most assured film (IMO).