Sign in to follow this  
MarshaKatz

Songs in Movies

64 posts in this topic

Jean from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head from Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The recording of Moonglow and The Theme From Picnic -- The Theme From Picnic from movie of the same name.

Percy Faith's recording of Theme From A Summer Place - from film A Summer Place

Speak Low - One Touch of Venus starring Ava Gardner, Robert Walker, Dick Haymes, Eve Arden, Tom Conway and Olga San Juan. I was terribly sorry that this film was omitted from the Ava Gardner SOTM and I haven't seen this on TCM for way too long.

Love, Love, Hooray For Love - From the movie "Casbah" remake of the terrific Algiers - song sung by Tony Martin.

Nice list of songs.    Some songs I would add would be:

Stella By Starlight - The Uninvited.

Tangerine and I'll Remember You - The Fleet is In  (written by the producer who died shortly after the release of the film)

Call Me Irresponsible - Papa's Delicate Condition - starring Jackie Gleason and Glynis Johns - sung by Jackie Gleason  -- Frank Sinatra made a great recording

An Affair to Remember - Sung by Vic Damone over the opening credits - An Affair to Remember starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr

You, My Love - Young At Heart - Sung by Frank Sinatra and Doris Day

Young at Heart - from movie of same name - Sung by Frank Sinatra

Dear Heart - Sung by Andy Williams over credits  of film by same name starring Glenn Ford, Geraldine Page and Angela Lansbury

I'll Never Stop Loving You - written for Love Me Or Leave Me - sung by Doris Day

Evergreen - A Star Is Born with Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson

The Way We Were - Sung by Barbra Streisand from film of the same name

All The Way - Sung by Frank Sinatra from The Joker Is Wild

Long Ago And Far Away - Sung By Gene Kelly from movie Cover Girl

You Do - Sung by Betty Grable and Dan Dailey from Mother Wore Tights

All Through The Day - Centennial Summer

It Might As Well Be Spring - State Fair - Only score written directly for a movie by Rodgers and Hammerstein

By Myself - The Bandwagon - Sung by Fred Astaire

One For My Baby - Sung By Frank Sinatra - Young At Heart

• Like 1

Ohmigod, the bombardment of that tune in the movie annoyed me!

I like that some people love while others loathe the same aspect in a movie! Viv la difference!

Other relentless movie songs:

CHARIOTS OF FIRE (almost made me discard my Vangelis records!)

DR ZHIVAGO theme

THE THIRD MAN theme

I also find it very interesting the old Strauss tunes used in 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY are now used exclusively for illustrating the grandeur of outer space & the cosmos.

• Like 1

Domani - The Pink Panther - sung by the gorgeous Fran Jeffries

My Kind of Town (Chicago Is) and You've Got To Have Style - from Robin And The Seven Hoods

Comedy Tonight - One of the greatest opening song numbers ever - from A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Le Jazz Hot - Sung by Julie Andrews and ensemble - Victor, Victoria (also great dance sequence)

Buttons And Bows - Bob Hope - The Paleface

I Will Wait For You and entire score from The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

It's A Grand Night For Singing - State Fair

Don't Rain On My Parade - Great show-stopping song and sequence from Funny Girl

Ten Cents A Dance - Doris Day in Love Me Or Leave Me - Actually every song sung by Doris in that film sounds great.

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing - film of the same name

For Every Man There's A Woman - from Casbash - remake of Algiers - and sung by Tony Martin

Body And Soul - from film

The Days of Wine And Roses - from film

Ohmigod, the bombardment of that tune in the movie annoyed me!

I like that some people love while others loathe the same aspect in a movie! Viv la difference!

Lol.  Every time I hear the "Theme From a Summer Place," I automatically think of Animal House, not A Summer Place.  Lol. I do agree that that song is featured often.  It is a very melodramatic tune which matches the melodrama of the film.  I still enjoy the song and the film, only because I'm a sucker for the uber melodramatic 1950s dramas--especially the tearjerker ones.  I don't know what it is about them, but I can't get enough.  Lol.

• Like 1

Laura- Laura (1944)

Gone with the Wind Suite- Max Steiner (1939)

Tom, Tom the Piper's Son- Presenting Lily Mars (1943)- Judy Garland

I'm Strictly on the Corny Side- A Date with Judy (1948)- Jane Powell, Scotty Beckett

Tammy- Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)- Debbie Reynolds

Pennies from Heaven- " " (1936)- Bing Crosby

The Moon is Blue- " " (1953)

Wishing Will Make it So- Love Affair (1939)- Children's Chorus

Whenever I hear Nat king cole singing "stardust", I immediately go back to a movie I saw ages ago on tv with Maureen Stapleton. I actually just now had to google it to see what it was called.."queen of the stardust ballroom". I haven't seen it since the '70s, but I remember it was very good & sad. Since I love nat king cole's singing I also think of a movie with Christian slater when I hear "Nature Boy", was that the name of the movie? I don't know..another sad movie where he had a heart problem..I try to avoid watching sad movies again even when they are really good..I can't be crying all the time.

swimminginaqua - I love your comment about Nat Cole's Stardust since I love the TV movie "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" starring Maureen Stapleton and Charles Durning. It's one of the best films I've seen on TV or in the movies. Thanks so much for bringing this film to mind. It's so darn good. For some reason the films today dealing with aging and actors over 60 are very infantile and they tend to try to be funny but I'm not laughing. "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" dealt with a husband dying and the after effects on his wife. It's such a well written film and the performances by Maureen Stapleton and Charles Durning are remarkable.  

I love movies featuring "the big band" music of the 30's and 40's. The Fabulous Dorseys is one of my favorites because of the music - "Marie", "I'll Never Say Never Again", "Tangerine" are just some of my favorites from the movie.

I also love hearing "Stardust" by Nat Cole in the opening of "My Favorite Year". Absolutely wonderful.

Most Memorable Songs In Movies
The Trolley Song - Judy Garland In Meet Me In St. Louis 
Good Morning - Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds in Singin' In The Rain 
Aba Daba Honeymoon - Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter in Two Weeks With Love 
Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland in The Wizard Of Oz 
The Boy Next Door - Judy Garland in Meet Me In St. Louis 
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland in Meet Me In St. Louis 
It's A Most Unusual Day - Jane Powell in A Date With Judy 
The Varsity Drag - June Allyson and Peter Lawford in Good News 
Get Happy - Judy Garland in Summer Stock 
Dear Mr. Gable, You Made Me Love You - Judy Garland in Broadway Melody Of 1938 
Thou Swell - June Allyson in Words and Music 
It's Magic - Doris Day in Romance On The High Seas 

"Roll It Over" -- Anne Heywood in The Fox

There is something about this song/scene, apart from the obvious sexual component, that is quietly touching. 

FA O FA, FA O LEE. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman

Wait. That ain't right. It's FA OH LA, FA OH LEE!

swimminginaqua - I love your comment about Nat Cole's Stardust since I love the TV movie "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" starring Maureen Stapleton and Charles Durning. It's one of the best films I've seen on TV or in the movies. Thanks so much for bringing this film to mind. It's so darn good. For some reason the films today dealing with aging and actors over 60 are very infantile and they tend to try to be funny but I'm not laughing. "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" dealt with a husband dying and the after effects on his wife. It's such a well written film and the performances by Maureen Stapleton and Charles Durning are remarkable.  

I love movies featuring "the big band" music of the 30's and 40's. The Fabulous Dorseys is one of my favorites because of the music - "Marie", "I'll Never Say Never Again", "Tangerine" are just some of my favorites from the movie.

I also love hearing "Stardust" by Nat Cole in the opening of "My Favorite Year". Absolutely wonderful.

Marsha, you are so right about the quality of the tv drama, Queen of the Stardust Ballroom. It was a wonderful, heartwarming and emotional story that sadly is not known to much of the public. The dance scenes with Stapleton and Durning were magnificent and the storyline so tender and complex. Too bad it is not shown on TCM or maybe it has been. I too love the films of the 1930's and 1940's just to see some of the famous and not so famous big band giants like Jimmy or Tommy or others. I think some might think the song Tangerine is from Led Zeppelin but we know it is really the Helen O'Connell version with I think Bob Eberle maybe also? I'm sure you will know and correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for your fine post.