Sign in to follow this  
IanPatrickMovieReviews

"The Black Castle" 1952 Video Movie Review - A Good Period Horror Flick!

4 posts in this topic

Back from a short break! Here is my review of "The Black Castle," with Boris Karloff and Richard Greene. It wasn't exactly scary, but it was a good period horror film! Halloween is coming up everyone, so try to fit in as many scary movies as you can!

Be sure to give a like to the video or follow my channel on YouTube if you like the reviews! 

Do you think every horror-type film was intended to be scary? I think some of them made in the late 30s and 40s were just meant to be slightly spooky and strangely atmospheric. So if we go into them expecting to be frightened out of our gourd we may be disappointed. LOL

• Like 1

Do you think every horror-type film was intended to be scary? I think some of them made in the late 30s and 40s were just meant to be slightly spooky and strangely atmospheric. So if we go into them expecting to be frightened out of our gourd we may be disappointed. LOL

Good question...it's also hard to answer it because we've been sooo exposed to truly frightening films that have come out over the years. Perhaps they were super scared watching "The Black Castle" haha! Hard to tell...this movie was a fun watch, though.

• Like 1

Good question...it's also hard to answer it because we've been sooo exposed to truly frightening films that have come out over the years. Perhaps they were super scared watching "The Black Castle" haha! Hard to tell...this movie was a fun watch, though.

I think modern audiences are desensitized, because they may be accustomed to more violence in their generation's horror films. So these earlier ones seem tamer and not as horrifying. Also, we have to keep in mind that unlike the 1931 version of JEKYLL AND HYDE (which was a precode), we are looking at films made during the code years, when the violence and brutality had to be toned down. To compensate for that, filmmakers often added black comedy elements to horror films, which provided a lot more silliness and a lot less menace.