rgp1942

movies are skipping/stuttering

85 posts in this topic

FWIW:

This issue has been observed during the airing of some, NOT ALL, TCM MOVIES (HD as well as SD)…some worse than others - NO OTHER CHANNELS/NETWORKS, or even the TCM grape juice commercials, etc. have been observed hosting this issue.

Since the PROBLEM ONLY resides during the airing of SOME TCM MOVIES…the actual root-cause of this issue likely resides between the TCM source and transmission of the TCM content over the  Directv system to the customer.

I suspect TCM is or should be monitoring their own content and it's signal over the various cable and satellite transmission systems…and thus, should be aware of this issue and are unwilling or unable to make the necessary corrections.

Hope this information may help resolve this problem.

I'll note any changes/corrections of my observations as they may occur herein.

Okay, let's try this again.

For those with the issue, how long has it been since you had a tech come out?  What receiver are you using?  Is it happening on a Genie Mini remote?

Okay, let's try this again.

For those with the issue, how long has it been since you had a tech come out?  What receiver are you using?  Is it happening on a Genie Mini remote?

I have also seen what is call juddering of video and sound. I have seen it on tcm hd ,sony movie channel, hbo and cinamax hd channels.  I think this is a directv problem , because all these channel can't have this juddering problem. this problem has been going on since October of 2015. juddering is when the video and audio while doing a pan and scan has a jerky video and sound only when moving. i have just the basic hd receiver no dvr receiver I had a tech come out and replace the lnb,cables, swim spillter, and swim power unit and still have these juddering problems on these channels , and every time i call directv they tell me that its a channel problem . no way!!!!

I've had this problem since August 2015. 

DirecTV on an H25 reciever.

TCM HD only. SD is not in the package, so I don't know what's going on there.

I've found that I can stop the stuttering by "stepping through" all the available resolution settings on the H25. I do this by pressing the tiny "res" button on the front of the H25. Every press of the button will give a different resolution with on-screen confirmation, e.g. 480i, 480p, 720i, 1080i.

With TCM HD you want it set at 1080i.

The DVD will not be a keeper if I have to step through resolutions while I'm trying to record though.

It was shortly after the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) scheme was introduced that this problem appeared. Is it choking because it has to run both the HDCP and the movie at the same time, and the hardware can't quite always handle it? I don't know.

I haven't watched TCM for over a week. Tonight I flipped it on as they were showing That Uncertain Feeling. The image was stuttering like frames were missing. The sound had intermittent drop-out's. After a minute or so of watching I tried backing up then playing it. Same issues. I tried several times with no improvement so I switched it off. I guess whatever the problem is, nobody in a position to fix it gives a damn.

For me this problem has been getting progressively worse.  It now affects both color and B&W movies, and affects the prelude/postlude intro of the movies also.

I continue to believe that since October of 2015 TCM has been encoding their movies at a higher "density" compression than the basic DirecTV DVR can cope with.

The "work around" that continues to work for me is to skip backward/forward until the juddering stops.  That you can do this successfully confirms my suspicion regarding encoding, because if you hit the right buffering you can make the juddering stop.

I've considered reformatting the DVR hard drive as a test, but others here report that a totally new DVR does not fix the problem.  I'm considering trying a TIVO DVR (faster processor?), since it's pretty clear from reading this thread from bottom to top that TCM is in a state of denial, and that it's up to the end users to ferret out a work around.

So far, repeatedly backing up then replaying only works 10% of the time. And even when it minimizes the problem, it tends to return.

I called up DirectTV and gave them 60 days to correct the problem. If they fail, I cancel my subscription.

folks this is also happing on other channels like sony move channel hbo and cineamax and not just tcm channel.if you have these channels check them out.

Yes, I see it intermittently on other movie channels. HBO, Cinemax, Encore and Sony.

Channel 531 is especially bad.

Complaining gets me nowhere. I doubt if I cancel with DirectTV that they'll care that much. They tell me hardly anyone complains.

Yes, I see it intermittently on other movie channels. HBO, Cinemax, Encore and Sony.

Channel 531 is especially bad.

Complaining gets me nowhere. I doubt if I cancel with DirectTV that they'll care that much. They tell me hardly anyone complains.

Well, I was seriously considering either downgrading or cord cutting and maybe going with either DirectTV or DISH....

And since DirectTV has a deal with ATT (Uverse) in my area, I was steering in that direction.

However, after reading all this I certainly won't be signing any long term contract with them for this kind of reception garbage. Looks like I'd just be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire... So DirectTV has not only lost another current customer, but how many prospective customer's over this kind of crap?

What do they think people subscribe for anyway, to be made miserable by paying for non reception of their favorite channels?

Okay, so scratch DirectTV off my list.

Does anyone have any thing positive or negative to say about DISH

I really don't think this is a DirecTV problem.  It is a channel provider problem.  They are encoding the video stream "tighter" than most entry level DVR's can decode in real-time.  The channel provider probably has to pay for the amount of data they stream, so they are trying to minimize the data stream.  The fact that I can eliminate the juddering by back-skipping for more buffering seems to confirm this.

I'm curious if anybody with a new/higher end/faster DVR such as a TIVO model is experiencing this.  Probably not as they would have been led to this thread by Googling the problem.  People not having the problem wont' land here.  Finding empirical evidence won't be easy.

I have the very latest Direct TV DVR. In fact I have two. The tech who came to the house told me it affects every receiver/DVR Direct TV uses. He said it's actually worse using the more expensive Genie.

The latest I learned is Direct TV is trying to fix the problem using a software download. But so far, nothing works.

Backing up and then playing only works some of the time. Then after twenty or thirty minutes, the problem usually returns.

The problem is affecting HBO channel 509 on Direct TV. They're running The Godfather Saga. It's stuttering like mad. I tried backing up, then replaying it. After several attempts it did minimized it, but didn't entirely remove it.

VERY ANNOYING!

I saw this on TCM today. Sometimes even the promos stutter with sound drop-out's.

I also noticed the problem always shows up on certain movies while others are fine like Ben-Hur and The Magnificent Seven.

Richard,

Sounds like you are homing in on the root cause!  Thanks from all of us!  I've been wondering if a firmware upgrade to the receiver/dvr might be a solution to the decoding issue.  Sounds like we need to move this discussion over to the DirecTV forum?

p.s. yes the skip back solution doesn't always work.  Sometimes need to back 3 then forward 1, or whatever it takes.  It's a real bother, and as you say may or may not hold throughout the movie.  I only have Starz/Encore package (mainly for the Western channel (which is lower res/bandwidth) so haven't seen it other than on TCM (which along with PBS consume most of my viewing time).

As of 4-8-16, DirectTV is supposedly working to resolve the problem. They admit it's a known issue that affects movie channels such as TCM. Now, as to whether or not they do fix it, I believe that's up to conjecture. An engineer friend tells me to really fix it would require chucking all the receiver/DVRs and replacing them with new ones designed to handle the encoding issue. We all know they will never do that. So they are probably trying to resolve it with a software update.

Don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the update.  They need to take a hard look at what they did in the Fall of 2015.  That's when the problem started.

A few days ago "To Kill A Mockingbird" was juddering so bad that even the skip -/+ trick would not stop it.  Had to give up watching the movie.

Same situation for me. I had to switch the movie off. It was the worst example yet.

I think the powers that be at TCM should light a fire under DirectTV management because if indeed the problem is Direct's and not TCM's, DirectTV is causing viewers to switch to a different channel.

The other day when I took my car in for routine service and waited for it, in the waiting room they had a big screen HD TV up on the wall fed by DirectTV. They left the remote control on the table so since no one was there watching the TV, I picked up the remote and tried several channels that I know exhibit the stuttering problem. It was there clear to see! So when anyone here calls to complain and are told there's no problem, you know they're lying.

I get different answers each time I call to complain. Sometimes the rep will admit there is an issue and they're working to correct it. But other times I'm told there is no problem, that I'm the only one who's complained. This frustrates me to no end.

Watching All About Eve on TCM I noticed the image stuttered badly so I backed it up a minute then let it play agai.m The stuttering was reduced, but was still there and in the very same sections in the scene. I repeated this several times to where I was able to almost get rid of it.

Earlier, TCM ran Dark of the Sun which played perfectly.

It's obvious there's a serious problem with TCM when viewed over DirectTV. I was seeing this same stuttering intermittently on HBO, Encore and Starz. But it seems to have vanished with those channels.

tcm hd and the sony movie channels still have major video and audio juddering . when will it end? new software did nothing but put a new directv logo.

Today on TCM I noticed Gunga Din was stuttering badly. The sound also stuttered. I have the movie on the DVR recorded back before there was a problem. It plays perfectly.

This must end or I'll stop watching TCM altogether.

Gunga Din was juddering badly on my machine also.  Doing one back-skip circumvented it.  Some movies require 3 skips back, then 2 skips forward, or whatever it takes to "mask" the juddering.

Even though we have proven this is some kind of buffering problem, and proven it's not just one person nor one machine type nor one movie, and even thought it's been happening for 8 months now, it's obvious that TCM and/or Directv could care less.  They haven't even hinted at a response on this forum or the thread on the Directv forum.  Wouldn't it be great if they would at least say "We are aware of the problem and are working to correct it."?

We are at the mercy of bad customer service (the result of 30 year old bean counters running a company).  So what's new in this day and age?  And why shouldn't we be cynical?

So do all of you have DirectTV? I ask because I have Comcast cable and i haven't had any problems of this sort. On either the SD or HD channels.