Sign in to follow this  
MarshaKatz

Let's Face The Music And Dance - Dance In Movies

60 posts in this topic

I love movies and I love movies with dance sequences, routines, numbers, call it what you will. I love dancing in movies. So here are some of my favorite dance numbers in film - in no order of preference.

Follow The Fleet - Let's Face The Music And Dance - Fred and Ginger

Follow The Fleet - Let Yourself Go - Fred and Ginger

West Side Story - Cool and Opening Prologue (Jets and Sharks)

Top Hat - Isn't This a Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain) Fred and Ginger

Top Hat - Cheek To Cheek - Fred and Ginger

Top Hat - The Piccolino - Fred and Ginger

Singin' In The Rain - Good Mornin' Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Moses Supposes, Gene and Donald, Title Song - Gene

Summer Stock - Barn Dance - Judy Garland and Gene Kelly

My Sister Eileen (1955) Alley Dance - Bob Fosse and Tommy Rall

Kiss Me Kate - Bob Fosse & Carol Haney - From This Moment On

All That Jazz - Everything Old Is New Again - Ann Reinking and Erzsebet Foldi

The Unsinkable Molly Brown - He's My Friend - Debbie Reynolds, Grover Dale, Gus Trikonis

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - Barn Raising Dance

The King And I - Shall We Dance - Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr

Mother Wore Tights - Kokomo, Indiana - Betty Grable and Dan Dailey

The Bandwagon - Dancing In The Dark - Fred and Cyd Charisse

The Barkleys of Broadway - Bouncing The Blues - Fred and Ginger

Broadway Melody of 1940 - Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell - Begin The Beguine

Roberta - Too Hot To Handle- Fred and Ginger

Swing Time - Pick Yourself Up, Waltz in Swing Time, Never Gonna Dance - Fred and Ginger

Shall We Dance - They all Laughed - Fred and Ginger

The Band Wagon - Shine on My Shoes

Easter Parade - Couple of Swells - Judy and Fred 

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle - Waiting for the Robert E. Lee, Too Much Mustard - Castle Walk dances - Fred and Ginger

Yankee Doodle Dandy - Every dance number performed by the one and only James Cagney

There are so many more, but these dance numbers stand out in my mind right now. As for Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, I love all their films, but the dance numbers I chose are the ones which just came to mind.

• Like 4

More:

The Band Wagon--"The Girl Hunt Ballet"--Fred & Cyd Charisse 

Easter Parade--"Shakin' The Blues Away"--Ann Miller

Royal Wedding--"You're All The World to Me"--Fred Astaire's dance on the ceiling.

Silk Stockings--Title song (instrumental only--Cyd Charisse's dance

Good News--"Pass That Peace Pipe"--Joan McCracken, Ray MacDonald, & all the extras on MGM's lot who looked like teenagers & could dance.

The Pirate--"Be a Clown"--First version with The Nicholas Brothers.

Stormy Weather--The dance-gymnastics number that The Nicholas Brothers do & finish on a staircase--is on *******.

Let's add:

The Gay Divorcee-- "Night And Day"-- Fred and Ginger

Roberta-- "I Won't Dance"--  Fred again, and he does

Blue Skies--"Puttin' On The Ritz" -- Yes, Fred again

The Seven Little Foys-- "Mary's A Grand Old Name"-- Bob Hope and James Cagney

Oklahoma--"Everything's Up To Date In Kansas City"-- Gene Nelson

"Three Little Girls In Blue-- "You Make Me Feel So Young"-- Vera-Ellen

And this little inventive and athletic number by Russ Tamblyn from "The Fastest Gun Alive":

Don't try this at home!

• Like 3

The "Dream Ballet" from Oklahoma!, choreographed by Agnes de Mille

The "Black Bottom" sequence in Roxie Hart, featuring Ginger Rogers, Spring Byington, Sara Allgood, et. al.

• Like 1

One of my very favorite dance routines is when Gene Kelly and Vera-Ellen dance to "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from "Words and Music."  I've seen it many times, and always am glued to the screen whenever I see it.

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread idea, Marsha. I love musicals, and of course, musicals and dance go together like - well, like Fred and Ginger.

It's interesting to see all the different dance sequences that people list as their faves. A lot of them are my faves, too.

One thing that seems obvious, but that I don't think anyone's pointed out yet, is that for a dance number to be really great, it has to have great music. For me, no matter how skilled or exuberant the dance is, if the song is forgettable, it makes little impression on me.

This is rarely a problem, because most of the great dance scenes in movie musicals are choreographed to great music.

I agree with everyone who's cited the Fred and Ginger movies as amongst their favourites. These delightful films had the best when it came to the composers who scored for them -- deservedly revered songwriters like Irving Berlin and the Gershwins. Combine music like that with Fred's always inventive and elegant dance  routines, and you've got perfection.

"Let's Face the Music and Dance" has to be one of my favourites, too. The minor key, the philosophical lyrics, and Fred and Ginger's dancing, so in sync with the emotional tone of the song, move me every time.

I love just about all the dance numbers in Oklahoma ! It's such joyful music - I think one of the most fun scenes in the film (stage production too) is "The Farmer and the Cowman". But all the numbers in  this movie are sheer pleasure. (Another beautiful song in it is "People Will Say We're in Love", but there's no dancing in that one...)

A great musical that for some reason doesn't get mentioned very often on these boards is The Pajama Game, my favourite Doris Day movie. I have no idea why this fun musical is not better-known. It's chock full of exhilarating song and dance numbers. Two stand-outs are"This is My Once - A - Year Day" and "Sssttteeeaaam Heat". TPG is a lot of fun, I wish it would get aired once in a while.

So many wonderful dance numbers, such a long post already. I'll just add my love for West Side Story - every single musical sequence in it is fabulous, but for dancing, "America" has to be one of the best. Such a fun song, such exuberant dancing !

Another most-loved musical for me is The Music Man, but maybe, strictly speaking, it doesn't belong on this thread because it really is all about music - fantastic songs, but not much dancing.

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread idea, Marsha. I love musicals, and of course, musicals and dance go together like - well, like Fred and Ginger.

It's interesting to see all the different dance sequences that people list as their faves. A lot of them are my faves, too.

One thing that seems obvious, but that I don't think anyone's pointed out yet, is that for a dance number to be really great, it has to have great music. For me, no matter how skilled or exuberant the dance is, if the song is forgettable, it makes little impression on me.

This is rarely a problem, because most of the great dance scenes in movie musicals are choreographed to great music.

I agree with everyone who's cited the Fred and Ginger movies as amongst their favourites. These delightful films had the best when it came to the composers who scored for them -- deservedly revered songwriters like Irving Berlin and the Gershwins. Combine music like that with Fred's always inventive and elegant dance  routines, and you've got perfection.

"Let's Face the Music and Dance" has to be one of my favourites, too, The minor key, the philosophical lyrics, and Fred and Ginger's dancing, so in sync with the emotional tone of the song, move me every time.

I love just about all the dance numbers in Oklahoma ! It's such joyful music - I think one of the most fun scenes in the film (stage production too) is "The Farmer and the Cowman". But all the numbers in  this movie are sheer pleasure. (Another beautiful song in it is "People Will Say We're in Love", but there's no dancing in that one...)

A great musical that for some reason doesn't get mentioned very often on these boards is The Pajama Game, my favourite Doris Day movie. I have no idea why this fun musical is not better-known. It's chock full of exhilarating song and dance numbers. Two stand-outs are"This is My Once - A - Year Day" and "Sssttteeeaaam Heat". TPG is a lot of fun, I wish it would get aired once in a while.

So many wonderful dance numbers, such a long post already. I'll just add my love for West Side Story - every single musical sequence in it is fabulous, but for dancing, "America" has to be one of the best. Such a fun song, such exuberant dancing !

Another most-loved musical for me is The Music Man, but maybe, strictly speaking, it doesn't belong on this thread because it really is all about music - fantastic songs, but not much dancing.

It takes a great dancer to dance great even to a lousy song.

• Like 1

Nice thread, Marsha. I just read over the contents of it, and I did not see anyone mention the retrospective films that were made of clips from MGM musicals. There were three That's Entertainment! films.

220px-thats_dancing.jpg

Also there was another one called That's Dancing! which if you have not seen it, you may truly enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_Dancing!

• Like 1

More:

"Clap Yo' Hands" from Funny Face--Kay Thompson & Fred Astaire

"Street Song"/"Jumping Song" from "Small Town Girl" (1953)--Tommy Rall & pogo stick.

"I Won't Dance" from Till the Clouds Roll By--Van Johnson & Lucille Bremer

"Coffee Time" from Yolanda and the Thief (1945)--Fred Astaire & Lucille Bremer

That is certainly one of my favorites. I think it's a favorite of Robert Osborne's, too...because he raved about it once when introducing YOLANDA AND THE THIEF on TCM. 

• Like 1

More:

"Clap Yo' Hands" from Funny Face--Kay Thompson & Fred Astaire

"Street Song"/"Jumping Song" from "Small Town Girl" (1953)--Tommy Rall & pogo stick.

"I Won't Dance" from Till the Clouds Roll By--Van Johnson & Lucille Bremer

Van Johnson dancing?

Van Johnson dancing?

It's not a very pretty sight. I'm sorry, because I do like Van's cheerful personality, but I find him to be quite untalented in most of his MGM pictures.

Thanks for all your feedback so far. Thanks TopBilled and misswonderly3 for your comments. Have seen all 3 That's Entertainment movies and That's Dancing and InvitationTo the Dance as well. I love That's Entertainment (original) and my sister Norma and I went to the opening of the film at the newly built Ziegfeld Theater in Manhattan. We went back 6 times to see the film traveling on the subway from Brooklyn. We grew up watching all kinds of movies and our favorites were anything with dancing - especially Fred and Ginger - and we loved going to Broadway musicals and saw many SRO - e.g. "A Chorus Line" which we saw 8 nights in a row. I was very disappointed with the movie. 

However, as misswonderly3 commented music is so important accompanying the dance. That's why I get chills every time I watch Fred and Ginger dance to the great composers, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern & Dorothy Fields, The Gershwin's. The music and these two great dancers were a perfect fit.

If I had to pick my favorite Fred and Ginger dances it would be "Let's Face The Music And Dance", Isn't It A Lovely Day Day (To Be Caught In The Rain), Let Yourself Go, and Cheek To Cheek.

I get chills when I watch "Cool" from West Side Story and "The Prologue" is incredible. The music by Leonard Bernstein is absolutely fabulous.

I know I'll be coming back with more of my favorite dance numbers in movies. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 3

You Gotta Get A Gimmick - from the movie musical Gypsy --

If ever there is a show-stopping number it's You Gotta Get A Gimmick. Gypsy is my all-time favorite Broadway musical. Missed seeing the amazing Ethel Merman as Mama Rose but the original Broadway cast album is my all-time favorite and was worn out several times, to be followed by CD after CD. Saw Tyne Daly, Linda Lavin, Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone (the best production I've ever seen) - Sorry I missed Angela Lansbury. The one thing, however, in each production is the great stripper number

You Gotta Get A Gimmick - stops the show each and every time.

The same is true for the movie version of Gypsy. Music by Jule Styne, Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and the three incredible strippers doing a fabulous dance and song number. In the film Faith Dane recreated her stage role of Mazeppa "Bump It With A Trumpet", Betty Bruce terrific as Tessie Tura (original Broadway role played by Maria Karnilova who was the original Golde in Fiddler On The Roof) and Roxanne Arlen as Electra (Chotzi Foley was the original on Broadway)

It's the moment I wait for when watching the movie Gypsy. I absolutely adore this dance number and each time I see it I want more and more of the same. Definitely worth the price of admission and one of the great dance numbers in film.

You Gotta Get A Gimmick - from the movie musical Gypsy --

If ever there is a show-stopping number it's You Gotta Get A Gimmick. Gypsy is my all-time favorite Broadway musical. Missed seeing the amazing Ethel Merman as Mama Rose but the original Broadway cast album is my all-time favorite and was worn out several times, to be followed by CD after CD. Saw Tyne Daly, Linda Lavin, Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone (the best production I've ever seen) - Sorry I missed Angela Lansbury. The one thing, however, in each production is the great stripper number

You Gotta Get A Gimmick - stops the show each and every time.

The same is true for the movie version of Gypsy. Music by Jule Styne, Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and the three incredible strippers doing a fabulous dance and song number. In the film Faith Dane recreated her stage role of Mazeppa "Bump It With A Trumpet", Betty Bruce terrific as Tessie Tura (original Broadway role played by Maria Karnilova who was the original Golde in Fiddler On The Roof) and Roxanne Arlen as Electra (Chotzi Foley was the original on Broadway)

It's the moment I wait for when watching the movie Gypsy. I absolutely adore this dance number and each time I see it I want more and more of the same. Definitely worth the price of admission and one of the great dance numbers in film.

That dance number is brilliant. I love the film. I've seen the show on stage with Angela Lansbury and more recently with Imelda Staunton. The recent (excellent) production with Staunton, which is still playing in London, retained the original Jerome Robbins choreography only for "You Gotta Get a Gimmick" and one other number. They should have kept it for the whole show!

Have seen all 3 That's Entertainment movies and That's Dancing and InvitationTo the Dance as well. I love That's Entertainment (original) and my sister Norma and I went to the opening of the film at the newly built Ziegfeld Theater in Manhattan. We went back 6 times to see the film traveling on the subway from Brooklyn. We grew up watching all kinds of movies and our favorites were anything with dancing - especially Fred and Ginger 

What a wonderful comment. I love it when people personalize classic film.  :)

I love movie musicals and especially the great dance numbers, too.  So many wonderful numbers have already been mentioned and I don’t want to be repetitious; so except for the “Begin the Beguine” number in Broadway Melody of 1940, which is my all-time favorite dance number in a movie, here are some others that haven’t been mentioned that I really like in no particular order:

Be Careful, It’s My Heart – sung by Bing Crosby and danced to by Fred Astaire and Marjorie Reynolds in White Christmas

The Continental – Astaire & Rogers & Ensemble in The Gay Divorcee

The Best Things Happen When You’re Dancing – Danny Kaye & Vera-Ellen in White Christmas

At the Codfish Ball – Shirley Temple & Buddy Ebsen in Captain January

Military Man – Shirley Temple, Jack Haley & Alice Faye in Poor Little Rich Girl

Tin Pan Parade – Shirley Temple & Bill Robinson in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

We Should Be Together – Shirley Temple & George Murphy in Little Miss Broadway

It’s a Lovely Day Today & Something to Sing About – Donald O’Connor & Vera-Ellen in Call Me Madam

Too Darn Hot (Ann Miller) From this Moment On (Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bobby Van, Bob Fosse, Carol Haney, Jeanne Coyne), Tom Dick and Harry (Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bobby Van, Bob Fosse) – all from Kiss Me Kate

Ballin’ the Jack – Judy Garland & Gene Kelly in For Me and My Gal

The Varsity Drag – June Allyson, Peter Lawford & Ensemble in Good News

Do the La Conga – Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland & Ensemble in Strike Up the Band

Make Way for Tomorrow – Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth & Phil Silvers in Cover Girl

I’m Old Fashioned – Fred Astaire & Rita Hayworth in You Were Never Lovelier

This Heart of Mine & Limehouse Blues – Fred Astaire & Lucille Bremer in Ziegfeld Follies

Swingin’ the Jinx Away – sung by Frances Langford, danced to first by Buddy Ebsen and then Eleanor Powell in Born to Dance

You’re Spectacular – Eleanor Powell & George Murphy in Broadway Melody of 1940

I’ve Got My Eyes on You – Fred Astaire in Broadway Melody of 1940

Prehistoric Man – Ann Miller, with back-up by Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Betty Garrett & Jules Munshin in On the Town

La Cumparsita - Gene Kelly in Anchors Aweigh

Lullaby of Broadway – sung by Wini Shaw and danced to by a huge ensemble in Gold Diggers of 1935

Shanghai Lil – James Cagney & Ruby Keeler in Footlight Parade

I’ve Got a Feelin’ You’re Foolin’ – sung by Robert Taylor & June Knight, then danced to by June Knight and Nick Long, Jr. in Broadway Melody of 1936

Broadway Rhythm – sung by Frances Langford, then danced to by Buddy & Vilma Ebsen, June Knight, Nick Long, Jr. and last, but definitely not least, Eleanor Powell in Broadway Melody of 1936.

• Like 3

I love movie musicals and especially the great dance numbers, too.  So many wonderful numbers have already been mentioned and I don’t want to be repetitious; so except for the “Begin the Beguine” number in Broadway Melody of 1940, which is my all-time favorite dance number in a movie, here are some others that haven’t been mentioned that I really like in no particular order:

Be Careful, It’s My Heart – sung by Bing Crosby and danced to by Fred Astaire and Marjorie Reynolds in White Christmas

The Best Things Happen When You’re Dancing – Danny Kaye & Vera-Ellen in White Christmas

It’s a Lovely Day Today & Something to Sing About – Donald O’Connor & Vera-Ellen in Call Me Madam

Too Darn Hot (Ann Miller) From this Moment On (Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bobby Van, Bob Fosse, Carol Haney, Jeanne Coyne), Tom Dick and Harry (Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bobby Van, Bob Fosse) – all from Kiss Me Kate

This Heart of Mine & Limehouse Blues – Fred Astaire & Lucille Bremer in Ziegfeld Follies

Swingin’ the Jinx Away – sung by Frances Langford, danced to first by Buddy Ebsen and then Eleanor Powell in Born to Dance

Prehistoric Man – Ann Miller, with back-up by Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Betty Garrett & Jules Munshin in On the Town

Lullaby of Broadway – sung by Wini Shaw and danced to by a huge ensemble in Gold Diggers of 1935

I’ve Got a Feelin’ You’re Foolin’ – sung by Robert Taylor & June Knight, then danced to by June Knight and Nick Long, Jr. in Broadway Melody of 1936

Broadway Rhythm – sung by Frances Langford, then danced to by Buddy & Vilma Ebsen, June Knight, Nick Long, Jr. and last, but definitely not least, Eleanor Powell in Broadway Melody of 1936.

What a great list! I forgot about Shirley Temple and dance -- I love the "Codfish Ball" number! Another Temple favorite for me is "Wot' cher," aka "Knocked 'em in the Old Kent Road," which she sings/dances with Arthur Treacher in The Little Princess.

I love musicals--they're one of my favorite genres.  However, just because it's a musical, doesn't mean that I automatically will love it.  If the film has forgettable music and/or lame dancing, then the film won't resonate with me at all.  Sometimes, the best musical numbers are part of some average films.  Also, not every musical number has to be splashy.  There are some films with some very simple but beautiful songs and dances that really add to the overall experience of the film.  I know that many people cannot stand musicals, because they can't suspend their disbelief that people would break into song and dance.  While that's definitely their prerogative, I love musicals where the music and the dance helps in moving the story along, representing how a character feels, etc.  If the number feels "random," to me, it can often leave me cold.  

These are my favorite musical/dance numbers in film.  I know some have already been listed, but I'm going to list them again as they are also my favorites:

-"Steppin' Out With My Baby," Fred Astaire, Easter Parade.  I love this song as it features Astaire's slow motion dance and is such a fun song. 

-I also love the "Easter Parade" song from Easter Parade, but there isn't really a dance associated.  I just love it because it's sung to Fred by Judy and to Judy by Fred.  Finally Judy has achieved her dream of walking in the Easter Parade! 

---

-I can't remember the name of the song, but I love the dance that Fred Astaire and Marjorie Reynolds perform for the Washington's Birthday number in Holiday Inn.  Bing Crosby, who is conducting the band, keeps switching the tempo from jazz to minuet, to tango, to fox trot, etc. Watching Fred Astaire change up his tempo and style to match the music was amazing.

-I also love Fred Astaire's firecracker dance in Holiday Inn.  The man knew how to use props.

---

While being an average "Let's put a show on in a barn!" musical, Summer Stock has a lot of great songs and dances, and one very annoying musical number that I usually skip.  

-Gene Kelly's newspaper dance.  It's amazing what he was able to do with a newspaper and a creaky board.

-While not a dance number, I love Judy Garland's sweet song, "Friendly Star" that she sings when she begins realizing that she has feelings for Gene Kelly.  The sweetest part of the song, is that unbeknownst to Judy, Gene is sitting outside within earshot of Judy and hears her song.  He has a look on his face that indicates that he is falling in love with Judy.  Judy's eyes water and glisten as she sings this song.

-Gene and Judy's dance off in the "Portland Fancy" number.

-Judy's fantastic "Get Happy" number at the end of the "show" that Garland and Kelly stage.  Great song, great choreography and overall a joy to watch.  The number that precedes this, "Heavenly Music," might just be the worst musical number ever.  No wonder Judy bailed on performing in that one.

---

An American in Paris

-I love the entire ballet--especially the Toulouse Latrec number.  That Gene Kelly really knew how to fill out a flesh toned unitard.  

-Georges Guetary's fabulous "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise" number.  While is singing is decent, I absolutely love the spectacle of this number.

-Oscar Levant's hilarious scene where he daydreams about being every member of an orchestra while they're performing Gershwin's "Concerto in F for Piano and Orchestra." 

-Gene Kelly's sweet "I Got Rhythm Number" that he performs with the local children. 

---

Meet Me in St. Louis

-Judy Garland's "Trolley Song."  I love the song itself and find it amazing that Garland was able to record the entire song in one take.

-The whole "Skip to My Lou,"/"Yankee Doodle" melody that Judy Garland and Lucille Bremer and their friends.  Those high school kids really know how to party!

---

Mitzi Gaynor's performance of "I Don't Care" from The I Don't Care Girl.  Mitzi's outrageous costumes really make the song and dance number, but I love the infectious energy that Gaynor brings to this performance.

--- 

-Errol Flynn's song and dance number "That's What You Jolly Well Get," from Thank Your Lucky Stars.  While Errol was definitely no Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, he was fun to watch in this performance.  Also as a side note, I know that Errol was on the tall side (6'2), but they must have cast a ton of men to appear in this scene who were on the short side.  Errol looks huge in this number.

-Bette Davis' jitterbug number and song ("They're Either Too Young or Too Old") also from Thank Your Lucky Stars was very entertaining.  It's fun to see non-musical stars like Davis and Flynn cutting a rug occasionally.

---

-Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby's lip synced version of Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen (or whomever dubbed Vera-Ellen)'s version of "Sisters" in White Christmas.

-Vera-Ellen's dance number, "Mandy," in "White Christmas."

---

-"The Shorty George" number performed by Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire in You Were Never Lovelier.  

-"You Were Never Lovelier" from the film of the same name.  I believe that this is the beautiful dance that Astaire and Hayworth perform at the end of the film.

---

There are so many more musical/dance numbers that I love.  This isn't even the tip of the iceberg.  

• Like 1

"The Carioca", which gave birth to the Astaire-Rogers team in FLYING DOWN TO RIO"

• Like 2

Danny Kaye & Ensemble - Ballet Scene from Knock On Wood - One of the funniest dance sequences ever. Danny Kaye could do it all. He was truly one-of-a-kind. Would love to see him as SOTM

Sisters - Danny Kaye & Bing Crosby - White Christmas - Wonderful in every way. Bing looks like he's having a ball each time Danny hits him with the big blue feather. I love this number.

Blue Danube Waltz - Hold That Ghost - Superbly choreographed dance number that is riotously funny in every move. Joan Davis and Lou Costello are marvelous.

Lonesome Polecat - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - featuring the great "Axe" dance and four amazing dancers - Jacques D'Amboise, Matt Mattox, Marc Platt, and Tommy Rall.

Louise's Ballet - Carousel 1956 - Susan Luckey and Jacques D'Amboise - thrilling in every way.

-

Shipoopee - The Music Man - I love this number - especially because of the music. My sister Norma and I choreographed a dance routine which she performed for the Erasmus Hall Sing audition as choreographer - She didn't win but what an incredible time we had rehearsing this number. That's why Shipoopee is so special to me.

Wonderful Guy - South Pacific - I love Mitzi Gaynor dancing to this song. Extra-special because I played Nellie Forbush in our camp production of South Pacific and my sister Norma played Bloody Mary.

The documentary "He Makes Me Feel Like Dancin'" is a must for everyone who loves dancing. Jacques D'Amboise founder of the National Dance Institute teaches over 1,000 NYC kids the thrill and enjoyment of dancing and the film documents the culmination in The Event of the Year where the kids perform a dance for their families, friends, public. The movie is truly wonderful from start to finish. I recommend it for anyone who has ever wanted to get up and do a dance routine. Dance is such a healer. I love it.

• Like 2