Sign in to follow this  
edgeciff

MORE CLASSIC MUSICALS ON DVD

12 posts in this topic

WB is releasing another exciting box set early next year: CLASSIC MUSICALS FROM THE DREAM FACTORY including: TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY, the Jerome Kern bio with an all-star MGM cast , ZIEGFELD FOLLIES, another lavish all-star MGM musical , THREE LITTLE WORDS stars Fred Astaire & Vera Ellen, SUMMMER STOCK stars Gene Kelly & Judy Garland and ITS ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER stars Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse, Dan Dailey and Dolores Gray. Personally, I would have subbed WORDS AND MUSIC or DEEP IN MY HEART for SUMMER STOCK which is a minor little musical and doesn't quite fit in with the other titles even though it stars Garland and Kelly.

Hey Edge - this is great news, although I have to disagree with you about "Summer Stock." I thought Judy Garland was great in it, and the music was very good. I also liked Gloria DeHaven as her sister. Gene Kelly might not have been at his best, but it's still a good movie, one I like more than some of the others listed. And I do agree with you about "Words and Music," which is a GREAT movie, which I would take over any of the ones listed. Every star in it is a favorite, and every musical number in it is memorable as well.

Hallelujah! If for no other reason than to have Ziegfeld Follies on DVD, and Ziegfeld Follies in a legit release finally!

I have the Goodtimes DVD of Till the Clouds Roll By, and it's sufficient, but I'll be ditching it in favor of the new one when it comes out. I'll definately be going for the whole box set! All the rest (except It's Always Fair Weather) I already have on video, but the DVDs will be worth it!

Edge,

Do you have any specifics on a release date for this? If so, inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

TMS

TMS, the buzz for the MGM musicals release was early 2006, but this could be wrong as no date has been posted as yet. The Busby Berkeley musicals are to be released in March so possibly (and I am just guessing) the MGM musicals could come out in May or June. I know the second wave of Astaire-Rogers musicals is due to be released in August 2006.

Great news! I'm so glad that I never bought one of the public domain copies of TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY that are out there...the one in the new box set hopefully will be restored and good quality. I love the other titles in the set as well!

Sandy K

sandykaypax, the PD prints of TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY are pretty awful. The color is all washed out. My laserdisc of CLOUDS is beautiful and I expect the DVD to be even better. ROYAL WEDDING is another PD which I wouldn't touch, and I hope WB will be releasing this one on DVD soon.

Yes, ROYAL WEDDING is another one that I would love to see a restored version of...I'm a big Astaire fan! Too bad that more of his films aren't on dvd. I have FUNNY FACE, HOLIDAY INN, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, THE BAND WAGON, EASTER PARADE and the Astaire-Rogers set. Well, I guess that IS 10 films! lol! But he made so many films!

Sandy K