Sign in to follow this  
blythenoelle

TCM & Bob Osbourn

22 posts in this topic

TCM and Bob Osborn helps my sanity in today's world. If TCM ever changes or goes away... i may not make it. What I am getting at is... The movies, the bios, the high quality of entertainment (with no commercials and blah, blah as on AMC) allows me to be truly engaged with the creative cinema. Too bad most movies lack a story, character development... any depth. Rita

• Like 1

Although Bob Osbourn is terrif, I wouldn't mind them rounding up Robert Dorian--from the good ole days of AMC--to pitch hit now and then. Dorian had all the qualities that make Osbourn such a crowd pleaser. He was warm, completely sincere in his love of old movies and he had a sparkle in his eye.

If anything Bob Dorian certainly has appeared in better films than Bob Osbourne. Dorian was in the last Woody Allen film, wheras according to IMDB Robert Osbourne was in Tom Green's masterpiece Freddy Got Fingered! BTW, I certainly would love to see TCM hire a second host just for the daytime and really early morning hours when Osbourne is off.

I agree with you Nick - I would love to have some of those great anecdotes for the films they show during the day. I think a daytime host is a great idea. I look forward to the information and insight that is shared before and after a film when Mr. Osbourne hosts it. And if anyone from TCM is looking on, I would be more than happy to fill the position!!!

Here's another "host" idea. Why not have occasional legendary stars who are still alive to host movie classics that they might have been associated with? Jane Powell could make some juicy comments about her musicals, "Royal Wedding," "Seven Brides", etc. Ditto Ann Miller, Mickey Rooney--and Anita Page! Page would be an incredible star to introduce some of those marvelous classics she was in--"Our Dancing Daughters," "Broadway Melody", "The Easy Way," etc. And the stories this gal could tell!

I love him! I always go-"hey there's my friend Bob!" LOL! I try to watch movies at night just so I can listen to him talk!

oh that's a great idea!! a daytime host would be awesome!

the movie star idea is great as well!

Paty - you had a great idea about the stars introducing their films. Many of them are almost totally out of the public eye, and yet I'm sure some of them would love to be able to introduce a film - to be able to have that attention again. I look forward to the "word of mouth" segments so that I can see some of the old stars. Just the other day I saw Laraine Day in one, and she looked great. I was disappointed though, that when Ann Blyth did her commentary on Joan Crawford and "Mildred Pierce," she wasn't seen at all. I would love to see how she looks nowadays. But then again maybe she doesn't want anyone to see her now, but remember her when she was one of the cutest girls in movies.

And Robert Osbourne has to do more of the "Private Screenings" series - I would love to see one with Joan Fontaine, or Jeanne Crain - who hasn't been seen in decades!

Moviejoe, I agree, I wanted to see Ann Blyth too!!! That's such a great movie anyway.

I like Robert Osbourne but it would be nice to see some "stars" introducing the pics, that sounds like a good idea... I actually learn a lot from his little tidbits before and after the movies play though.

I may have been premature: Anita Page is still alive as

far as I know and would be a wonderful interview.

However, in the few comments I've seen her make, she

either won't or can't give detailed answers to questions.

Possibly, there may be some bitterness toward her con-

temporaries. If there was a chance at interviewing her

at length, I'm sure TCM would have done it by now.

I really did think I saw her obituary sometime in 2002,

though.

As of this week, Anita Page is still very much with us. I visited the Ramon Novarro site a few days ago, and a member who had spoken with her caregiver said Ms. Page is still in good health and spirits, but will no longer be making public appearances. I know she's suffered a series of strokes in recent years, and I guess they've taken their toll. But she still loves to talk about the good old days and the people she worked with to anybody who will listen!

It is true that Anita Page is alive, and a grand old dame to boot. If anyone saw her in the Joan Crawford documentary, you can see that her heart belongs to Hollywood's golden age just from the way she dresses. She's like a modern day Norma Desmond, just not as crazy. In fact she has her own website www.anitapage.com - check it out.

---TCM and Bob Osborn helps my sanity in today's world. If TCM ever changes or goes away... i may not make it. What I am getting at is... The movies, the bios, the high quality of entertainment (with no commercials and blah, blah as on AMC) allows me to be truly engaged with the creative cinema. Too bad most movies lack a story, character development... any depth. Rita ---

I agree with you 100% and I just turned 23! ;)

In the Joan Crawford documentary, (also on the excellent MILDRED PIERCE dvd), I could sense a little resentment by Ms Page towards Crawford. She seemed dismissive of her. Can't blame her I guess, for feeling a little bit cheated.

I'll tell you whom I would have liked to have seen, and that's Marlene Dietrich, in the wonderful documentary Maximillian Schell made about her a few years before she died. She was heard a lot, as she did a lot of the voice-overs, and Schell spoke to her numerous times as she was showing him her Paris apartment, but she would not allow herself to be photographed. What a shame, but not surprising, as she was always the eternal glamor girl, among her other traits/talents, and Im sure she knew what the ravages of time had done to her. Better, I think, to maintain the allusion, the memory that we all have of her, than to let a little thing like reality spoil it. By the same token, since I hear that Joan Fontaine, Olivia de Havilland, and Fay Wray may make an appearance at this years Oscar event, I have to ask what purpose does it serve. Im sure it will be quite a shock to see the ruin of their beauty, but the ratings will likely be boffo! Alas.....

I know your post is about a month old and probably no longer active. But, boy, I'm with you! I also live in New York and I would go stark, raving mad if it were not for TCM. I don't watch it (or television in general) nearly as much when I leave NYC.

Between the huge masses of humanity pushing and shoving, and the total lack of any relationship between distance and time, and the incredible cost of "entertainment", and fighter jets flying overhead, and everything else that goes along with living here, TCM is a welcome relief. Sometimes, I will admit, it's totally escapism and a chance to "de-compress". But more often it's exactly what you said -- quality entertainment. A wide variety of mostly good movies and other programming.

If you don't already know (which you probably do) there are several local movie theatres which often show "classic" movies... The Film Forum (which is having a Lubitsch festival in June), MoMA has a theatre on 23rd St (they had a Minnelli series a couple months ago) and the Clearview on 23/8 have a classic of one sort another depending on your defination every Thursday. Occasionally the Screening Room will have a classic series as well.

I'm in Michigan. We don't do a whole lot. I'm young, and it seems all the movies are absolute crap. Full of sex, violence and drugs, profanity, I just can't handle it. Now, I'll admit, sometimes I want something stupid, whether it be gory, filled with curses, provocative, or drug riddled, but I also spend most of my time with TCM. Robert Osborne is a wonderful host. I find the introductions to the movies amazing and some of the One Reel Wonders and shorts the channel shows really are quite good.

For being a teenager, TCM really fits the bill. No commercials, no promoting anything but great old movies.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

movieloverny - I live in N.Y. as well, and enjoy the classics that MOMA and The Film Forum present. I'm looking forward to the Lubitsch festival, and usually MOMA shows a large number of classics during the summer. I've never heard of any classics being shown at the Clearview on 23rd and 8th - what are some that they've shown? Is it worth checking out? I'm always looking for new places to see the classics on the wide screen - its such a thrill. I had the pleasure of seeing "Casablanca" at Radio City a couple of years ago - THAT was something - the greatest movie of all time on the largest movie screen in the world - I wish the folks at Radio City would screen the classics more often.

Hey there, MovieJoe. Here's the link to the Clearview Chelsea's Thursday's schedule so you can see if you're interested in anything they are showing. http://www.clearviewcinemas.com/thursday_at_chelsea.shtml

How can you go wrong for $5.00?

I have never been able to catch a movie at Radio City. I had sent for tickets to the Oct 2001 anniversary showing of West Side Story and the Q & A with the actors that is now part of the new DVD release as well as stingers used on TCM. But with the mess the mail was in after 911, I got my tickets a month after the event! I would love to see a movie at Radio City - I love that venue. In the meantime, The Ziegfeld remains my favorite movie theater in NYC - although I must say there isn't often things there want to see. A few years ago the Hitchcock re-releases were at the Ziegfeld - which was a wonderful place to see it. I wish they had more.

(*-as always means A.M.P.A.S. win) and In the immortal words of: (3 time)OSCAR winner: *WALTER BRENNAN in "Bad Day at Black Rock">Man, Man O Man! It is getting to be just damn impossible to enter these forums H.E.L.P.!!! I doubt this will-take, but here goes? I have Robert Osborne's "70 years of OSCAR!"-(NOTE: Being a student of OSCAR-history & all, I rank it as my movie bible & #1 most valuable book in over 100 books on cinema) I know he's probably already re-editing it, to add-on the 5yrs. since & given it just was the ACADEMY'S 75th Anniversary as well. He will probably have a new one out-soon-(NOTE: to all you OSCAR & just plain movie buffs, it's $$$ but a must have!) I have another book, that I'll let you gals & guys know of at a latter date? It's just about unavailable now that TCM's tremendous store went under/merged,etc. But he wrote the forward for-it. & I'll give you fans out there, the address to possibly be able to still-get a copy. It's called: "Movies We Love!" 100 collectable classics of Studio-System & even has my TCM-Gangster Watch pix on cover. Which you can also still purchase through other-means!? Actually the watch would be easier to get than this book! If you cannot wait until I submit the post/story,etc. e-mail me at: spencer64@ij.net or spencer1964@hotmail.com & I'll give all-data to you directly! That is if this particular logging ever sees light of day??? alix1929 helped me out before & said mongo assisted him. But this is different. I see a squeeze play, about AOL coming? Anyway, back to Mr. TCM himself Mr. Robert 0sborne. Most of you may not know he started as an actor in the 1950's a lil' bit! That reminds me, he always has that wonderful TCM-coffee mug-I got that too, before it was over. & It's "CHURSE!"

I don't think he will mind if I let you guys/gals know his all-timers in movie history/hope not anyway? Don't want to offend him, but he sent his all-time top 10 movie list couple yrs. ago & fav. stars-(which I've always thought was a more defining principle of an individual, A movie is one thing, but when someone has a favorite actor/actress,etc. It says more about that person-(Like a role model IDOL/HERO! Mine of course being: *"The Great: SPENCER TRACY"-(1900-67) & 2nd IDOL is: *"THE CHAIRMAN-SINATRA"-(1915-98) although more for his "massive" amount of music & the whole attitude Rat Pack thing,etc. than just as an actor! Though: "Suddenly" & "Manchurian Candidate" not to mention his OSCAR winning: *"FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" are all heavyweight-jazz, as he would say!

Irony of ironies, he carried *SPENCE along with: *JAMES STEWART at whom *SINATRA called "the silver fox," at his funeral in of course again: Glendale/"F. Lawn!" I have a photo of-it as a matter of fact. But back to Robert Osborne & his all-timers, which he';s very diplomatic on TCM & rarely says! His Top 10 Favorite Motion Pictures:

1. "The Razor's Edge" (1946 version of course) (20th

Century Fox)

*2. "GIGI" (1958) (M-G-M) (Obviously his fav. musical)

3. "This Is Spinal Tap" (1984) (I know what your thinkin' a terrific comedy, but he surprised me with this candidate/apparently his fav. comedy?)

4. "Red River" (1948) (UA)-(His fav. western oviously! & I also rank-it, just under: "The Searchers" & "Shane")

5. "A Place in the Sun" (1951) (Paramount)

6. "Laura" (1944) (Fox)

*7. "GONE WITH THE WIND" (1939) (M-G-M/Selznick)

8. "Sunset Boulevard" (1950) (Paramount)

9. "Random Harvest" (1942) (M-G-M)

*10. "ALL ABOUT EVE" (1950) (Fox)-(I personally agree with: Osbo here & will always rank above: "Sunset Blvd." over the brilliant as well *"EVE," as far as that yrs. OSCARS go. "Sunset" only ended up with (3)

(Also-Rans):

"Bringing Up Baby" (1938) (RKO Radio) (Now this is thee ultimate screwball comedy & a flop when it came out?)If the OSCARS had there head screwed on right, this shoulda' swept? Especially Hawks; the man of whom could handle any film genre!? AMAZING! Comedy-that seemed his forte'/ Adventure-"Only Angels Have Wings"/ Crime-"Scarface"/ Westerns: "Red River, "Rio Bravo"/ Mystery: "Big Sleep" (1946)/Sci-Fi-"The Thing" & even Musicals: "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" Bio's/war: "Sergeant York">Disgustingly his only Best Director nom.?)

Robert Osborne & His all-time favorite motion picture actors:

1. *"The King of Hollywoods Goilden Age" CLARK GABLE-(190l-60)-(NOTE: He & Myrna Loy both officially voted that honor via movie fans in magazines & write-ins. In a 1938 poll. She of course, much to the chagrin of several heavyweight actresses: *BETTE DAVIS,etc was voted "Queen!" & Loy was also John Dillinger's fav.!)

2. Cary Grant-(1904-86)

3.*JAMES STEWART-(1908-97)

4. Harrison Ford-(1942-)

& 5th. Fred Astaire-(1899-l987)

WHAT BOB, NO: *TRACY??? Shame, Shame! NOW THAT AIN'T "CHURSE!"

Mr. Osborne's Top 5 all-time fav. movie actresses:

1. Barbara Stanwyck (1907-90) (NOTE: Yet another just wonderful screwball comedy from Howard Hawks:1941's "Ball of Fire." She was nominated & deserved to win!?)

2.*GINGER ROGERS-(1911-95)-(NOTE: Many probably are not aware, she & her mother. Were interred in a little cem. Near Ventury co. line. Books say: "Rattle snake," warnings are everywere? But, she is just not far from Mr.

Astaire & his longtime wife.)

3. *BETTE DAVIS-(1908-89)

4. *EVA MARIE SAINT-(1924-)-(That one caught me off guard?)

& 5th. Kristen Scott-Thomas-(Another surprise from Mr. Osborne)

FINAL NOTE: He did not cite a favorite filmmaker/director, in all likelihood, probably: *WILLIAM WYLER though!?

Movieloverny - Thanks for the info, and I completely agree with you that venues such as Radio City and The Ziegfeld should show classics more often. Another great theater in the city is the Paris on 58th and 5th, across from the Plaza. They once had a Marx Brothers festival, but have not shown any classics in years, but one can hope. Another favorite is the Sony Lincoln Square - it's a multiplex, but the decor is reminiscent of the old movie palaces from back in the day. My dream is to someday own one of the old theaters in the city and completely devote it to the showing of classic films.