TopBilled

Golden age: Roll call

1,426 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. Yes, you have to find an audience who appreciates the same music and films you do.

When I started the film club, I advertised it by putting up flyers in the library where I reserved a conference room each month. Attendance was small at first but by the third month, word of mouth spread and the group grew in number. The main idea was to provide something for others who also wanted to discuss classic film.

Yes, that is a good idea to put up flyers. Just putting an add on the internet and creating a web page may not be enough, and same with just flyers, I'll do both. I'll put the website on the flyers since that would definitely help direct more people to go onto the web page. And I can try to reserve a room in the library also.

I now have an option besides nursing homes to find fans of 1920s - 1940s films and music. Truth is, it's starting to become now to where even many nursing home residents are now becoming the offspring of true 1920s and 1930s survivors rather than them themselves. When I'm going into the homes playing music from that time period, I'm more playing music from their parents' generation rather than theirs. An 80 - 85 year old now was only being born in 1933-1938, so they're not going to be able to recollect living through the early to mid 1930s and the roaring twenties. I still may be able to touch the hearts of the 90+ year olds though. Most people who really remember living through the 20s and 30s and enjoying the music and culture and films of that era as they were happening have now sadly passed on. I've just wanted to be able to connect with real survivors of the era, but it was just too long ago now and there are not many left. In another 10 years, there will be nobody left who'd remember living through the era. So anyway, I guess that I am now mainly limited to just connecting with people like me who have a real fondness and interest of the time period but have no actual memories of living through it due to being born after the era ended. So like I said before, I'll try to start a group of real fans of golden age's amazing music and films.

I am 43 now, if I'd played the 20s and 30s music on the piano 20 - 25 years ago, I would've really been playing for quite a few people who remembered the 1920s and 1930s. But, I only started developing a love for that era and playing songs from back then in the past few years. I did play piano 20 - 25 years ago when I was in my late teens, early 20s, but it was modern pop music and classical like Mozart.

• Like 1