Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

Characters Mentioned but Never Seen

47 posts in this topic

On the TV series KEEPING UP APPEARANCES, we never see Hyacinth and Richard's son Sheridan -- which is probably just as well.

On CHEERS, we never saw Norm's wife Vera.

• Like 1

The Big Sleep Fans: I think we may have two characters mentioned in both the 1945 pre-release and 1946 cinema versions of the Raymond Chandler classic that are never seen. First, I'd like to say the Charles Feldman inspired reshoots and filming of additional LB/HB scenes in Jan of 1946 made this a worthy contender to "To Have And Have Not". It made a good film great; giving me, and I suspect most fans, more of the Bogie and Bacall sizzle the oozed from THAHN. I also do not feel the film's plot is quite as byzantine as some make it out to be. Aside from being distracted by LB's sultry beauty and snappy dialog, I did try to make sense of the plot twists and turns. In my viewings, it seems clear that Owen Taylor ( the second missing man ) killed Geiger. He evidently loved Carmen, so would have despised Geiger's Faustian influence on her. Joe Body admits to Marlowe that "he sapped Taylor and got the film". That works for me as a confession for pushing him in the Sternwood's car over Lido Pier. Anyway, never seeing Sean Regan is painfully obvious, as the film begins with Col. Sternwood hiring Marlowe to find Sean. However, we have all seen the butler, Norris, but what of Owen Taylor? I do not remember ever seeing him. Strange, an actor named Dan Wallace is listed as an "uncredited appearance" as Owen Taylor on IMDb. There are no tumbnails however. I think we may have a second missing character in T.B.S. What say you?  RJM

On the TV series KEEPING UP APPEARANCES, we never see Hyacinth and Richard's son Sheridan -- which is probably just as well.

On CHEERS, we never saw Norm's wife Vera.

On The Big Bang Theory they did a similar thing where you heard Howard's mother yelling all the time but they never showed her. The actress who did the voice died during last season so the character passed away on the show.

• Like 1

I just remembered in Bringing Up Baby (1938) you hear Hepburn's character, Susan Vance, speak about her brother, Mark, but he's never seen... Then again, he's on an expedition, but you'd think he would make an appearance.

"...And he likes dogs. I don't know whether Mark means that he eats dogs, or he's fond of them. Mark's so vague at times." -Susan Vance

The Big Sleep Fans: I think we may have two characters mentioned in both the 1945 pre-release and 1946 cinema versions of the Raymond Chandler classic that are never seen. First, I'd like to say the Charles Feldman inspired reshoots and filming of additional LB/HB scenes in Jan of 1946 made this a worthy contender to "To Have And Have Not". It made a good film great; giving me, and I suspect most fans, more of the Bogie and Bacall sizzle the oozed from THAHN. I also do not feel the film's plot is quite as byzantine as some make it out to be. Aside from being distracted by LB's sultry beauty and snappy dialog, I did try to make sense of the plot twists and turns. In my viewings, it seems clear that Owen Taylor ( the second missing man ) killed Geiger. He evidently loved Carmen, so would have despised Geiger's Faustian influence on her. Joe Body admits to Marlowe that "he sapped Taylor and got the film". That works for me as a confession for pushing him in the Sternwood's car over Lido Pier. Anyway, never seeing Sean Regan is painfully obvious, as the film begins with Col. Sternwood hiring Marlowe to find Sean. However, we have all seen the butler, Norris, but what of Owen Taylor? I do not remember ever seeing him. Strange, an actor named Dan Wallace is listed as an "uncredited appearance" as Owen Taylor on IMDb. There are no tumbnails however. I think we may have a second missing character in T.B.S. What say you?  RJM

I double checked both versions. "Owen Taylor" is never seen, you don't even see his covered body as they are rolling him away on Lido Pier. He and Sean Regan, both important parts of the plot, are never seen. "Dan Wallace" appears in the opening credits, so must have fallen victim to the editing process, perhaps making room for the Jan 46 filmed Bogie and Bacall scenes. Hence my call for collector's editions of all the Bogie and Bacall films, I want to see everything that was captured on film. Everything.    RJM

RO explained once that when they inserted the HB/LB scenes, they had to remove other scenes so the film wouldn't run too long. Without those scenes, its impossible to know what's going on.

Years ago I spelled out the whole plot and made it simple to follow. If I knew where to save it ,I would do it again. There were so many code violations that they had to gloss over major parts of the film. You have to do a lot of assuming for it to make sense.

The Robert Mitchum version is much clearer because there is no code. But, of course not as cool ! 

The Invisible Man

Actually if you're talking about the original "Invisible Man" with Claude Rains you do see him in the

final minute or two lying on the bed.

Actually if you're talking about the original "Invisible Man" with Claude Rains you do see him in the

final minute or two lying on the bed.

True, but then he is no longer the "Invisible Man." :)

• Like 2

" Rebecca De Winter" (Rebecca, 1940)

"David" (Rope, 1948)--actually you do see David in the very first seem being snuffed out by Frank Dall and Farley Granger's characters.

"The Late Mr. Haze" (Lolita, 1962)

"Elster's REAL wife" (Vertigo, 1958)

"Blanche's Boy Lover" (Streetcar Named Desire, 1951)

"David Trefoile" (Die! Die! My Darling! 1965)

"The dead brother" (Paranoiac, 1963)

"Elster's REAL wife" (Vertigo, 1958)

We do see her for a moment at the end of the movie as he tosses her out of the bell tower.

Ethel Toffelmeier's sister in The Music Man

Maria's parents in West Side Story

People from Florin in The Princess Bride

Joseph in It's a Wonderful Life

The Wicked Witch of the East in The Wizard of Oz (except for her feet)

• Like 1

This may have been mentioned already, but: Sebastian Venable in SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER.

I thought of him but, we see him from the back as he runs from those crowds of people at the end of the film. So we "kinda" see him. Certainly , not his face though.

• Like 1

You never see any worms, conquering or not, in THE CONQUEROR WORM.

(...heck, for THAT matter, you don't even see John Wayne all dressed up as Genghis Khan in this flick!) 

Janie Clarkson the friend Fanny Skeffington never goes to lunch with in Mr. Skeffinton

Now that is a good one!     Janie is mentioned more then once (3 or 4 times?),  and the first time I was watching the film I keep wondering when she was going to show up.     I even expected her to make a brief appearance as an older women that was still Fanny's friend (e.g. in the scene where her old boyfriends come to call),  but no Janie!