Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

Only Conservatives Can Save The American Campus

128 posts in this topic

"Progressives start to make sense once you realise they are herd animals."

Oh God, I just saw Ted Cruz on television from some Anti-Gay Conference (Religious Liberties Conference) that took place in Iowa this weekend. Cruz said:

"Any President who doesn't start every day on his knees, isn't fit to be President."

What is he trying to tell us?

STG_HZ_GultyPlea_4p.jpg

• Like 1

Oh God, I just saw Ted Cruz on television from some Anti-Gay Conference (Religious Liberties Conference) that took place in Iowa this weekend. Cruz said:

"Any President who doesn't start every day on his knees, isn't fit to be President."

What is he trying to tell us?

STG_HZ_GultyPlea_4p.jpg

L!  O!  L!

Sad to think that when some conservatives take a stance, it's a WIDE one!  :D

Truth be told, neither camp really has all, if any, answers.

Many of my conservative friends and relatives peg me a liberal simply because I don't always agree with them.  I try to explain that I pick on conservatives more because they come up with more of the silliest sh!t I've ever heard.

Liberals aren't really all that far behind them, though.

I think it stupid to get too wrapped up in all that dogma.  Most conservatives, especially the ones in here, usually come off as if they're quoting some horse-pucky they heard from some radio bloviator, and/or got it straight out of some kind of handbook.  Because I've heard all of the swill they spout verbatim in HERE, as well as EVRYWHERE ELSE.  No original thought.  Sho' 'nuff they drank the Kool-ade.

I dissociate myself from either  camp, as I really DO prefer to do my OWN thinking, thank you.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

L!  O!  L!

Sad to think that when some conservatives take a stance, it's a WIDE one!  :D

Truth be told, neither camp really has all, if any, answers.

Many of my conservative friends and relatives peg me a liberal simply because I don't always agree with them.  I try to explain that I pick on conservatives more because they come up with more of the silliest sh!t I've ever heard.

Liberals aren't really all that far behind them, though.

I think it stupid to get too wrapped up in all that dogma.  Most conservatives, especially the ones in here, usually come off as if they're quoting some horse-pucky they heard from some radio bloviator, and/or got it straight out of some kind of handbook.  Because I've heard all of the swill they spout verbatim in HERE, as well as EVRYWHERE ELSE.  No original thought.  Sho' 'nuff they drank the Kool-ade.

I dissociate myself from either  camp, as I really DO prefer to do my OWN thinking, thank you.

I'm pretty progressive, though I don't think I would get 100%.  But I think it's important to differentiate between the left and right wings. The right denies evolution; says that a woman's body won't let her get pregnant if she's raped; denies climate change because they're hoodwinked by mega-business; etc. The left wants everyone to have a good minimum wage and health insurance.  I'm glad I'm closer to the left!

• Like 1

Has anyone here actually read the article jake provided the link for?

It is not about "right" and "left" politics; it is about a certain intolerant mind-set that many students today embrace.

I usually think of myself as "left-wing", but an incident like the one that recently took place at Silliman College is making me seriously consider what over-simplifying terms like "right", "left", "conservative", "liberal" and "social justice" actually mean.

I never thought I'd write a post agreeing with any thread jake started. And since jake himself doesn't offer any comment, he just posted the link, I'm not sure we do agree.

But seriously, people should read the article, and then also read the intelligent, respectful, well-considered email which, incredibly, started all the controversy.

The behaviour of the students involved makes me feel worried and sad for the future of open discourse on university campuses.

• Like 2

The behaviour of the students involved makes me feel worried and sad for the future of open discourse on university campuses.

It's Yale, what do you expect? I've taught a few miles from there for the last 40 years, so nothing that goes on there surprises me.  The young woman who screamed at Christakis and told him what his job is supposed to be is full of crap. His job is not to provide her with a place of "comfort." If she wants comfort, she can live with her parents. On the other hand, Christakis should have walked away from this whole thing and calmly said, "hey, if anyone wants to talk about this, please stop by my office." There is NO WAY he should have let himself be surrounded by students outside the building. That was a setup.

• Like 1

It's Yale, what do you expect? I've taught a few miles from there for the last 40 years, so nothing that goes on there surprises me.  The young woman who screamed at Christakis and told him what his job is supposed to be is full of crap. His job is not to provide her with a place of "comfort." If she wants comfort, she can live with her parents. On the other hand, Christakis should have walked away from this whole thing and calmly said, "hey, if anyone wants to talk about this, please stop by my office." There is NO WAY he should have let himself be surrounded by students outside the building. That was a setup.

It's alarming, watching the video of the incident and seeing the escalation of student condemnation of the professor go from calm to agitated to downright angry.  What's equally alarming was their refusal to listen to anything he tried to say.

• Like 1

Guess the author of the article was a little confused, as he quoted

this.:

Let’s get something straight right now. You have no right to be unoffended.

You have a right to be offended with regularity. It is the price you pay for

living in a free society. If you don’t understand that you are confused and

dangerously so.

So if this guy was offended by what the students were saying,

well he also has a right to be offended. It's the price he pays

for living in a free society, etc.

I don't worry about this sheet too much. In ten or fifteen years

from now, many of these Yalies will be comfortably ensconced

in some elite institution and they will have forgotten about "bad"

Halloween costumes or arguing with some guy on campus. I

do like the not tongue in cheek reference to the Red Guards.

It provides the perfect wingnut finish. As the folks at Red State

like to put it, this is pretty much a nothingburger.

Has anyone here actually read the article jake provided the link for?

I do not click on links.  I may try to decipher the name of the site and then go there, but not often.

One of the rules of cybersecurity is to not click on links.

"Conservatives" have always been opposed to higher education, maybe all education.

The college campuses have been dominated by more "liberal" thinkers since colleges began in the Dark Ages.  That is what has led to great progress in America and the world.

"Conservatives" have always been opposed to higher education, maybe all education.

The college campuses have been dominated by more "liberal" thinkers since colleges began in the Dark Ages.  That is what has led to great progress in America and the world.

except this country's founders were not obsessed with denigrating people for their religious beliefs.

except this country's founders were not obsessed with denigrating people for their religious beliefs.

Well one of those founders wrote his own version of the bible because he knew one of the versions was full of myths.

Some at the time viewed that act as denigrating.

Compared to many of the Founder's unfortunate predeliction for

owning human beings, denigrating religion is a pretty minor affair.

• Like 1

But...but...Vautrin! I hear it states RIGHT in the Bible how to threat your slaves?!

(...I'm soooooo confused now!!!) ;)

Only Jews, Catholics, Native Americans and anybody else who was not a Protestant.  They just weren't so public about it as some people are today.

• Like 1

Only Jews, Catholics, Native Americans and anybody else who was not a Protestant.  They just weren't so public about it as some people are today.

what percentage of late-18th century white colonial americans were non-christians? :D

But...but...Vautrin! I hear it states RIGHT in the Bible how to threat your slaves?!

(...I'm soooooo confused now!!!) ;)

They could have their cake and eat it too.

Maybe not the best way to put it, but there

was no necessary contradiction between

being a Christian and owning slaves.

what percentage of late-18th century white colonial americans were non-christians? :D

Does NOT matter!  There is also a difference between Christians and Protestants.

They could have their cake and eat it too.

Maybe not the best way to put it, but there

was no necessary contradiction between

being a Christian and owning slaves.

So, in other words, pretty much the same rationale they're usin' now days to squelch this whole "rise the minimum wage" movement, RIGHT?!  ;)

LOL

So, in other words, pretty much the same rationale they're usin' now days to squelch this whole "rise the minimum wage" movement, RIGHT?!   ;)

LOL

If you accept the GOP theory, the minimum wage should never

have been raised since it began in the 1930s, except for those

who believe there should be no minimum wage at all. There

are probably dueling studies out there about the effect of the

minimum wage on employment, but I think in the long run raising

it would be a good thing.

not to the denigrated. certainly it would have been no minor affair to the pilgrims.

"The truth is that so-called ‘White Privilege’ is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to explain the failures of many in the black community on something other than themselves".

http://townhall.com/columnists/dwwilber/2015/11/12/the-false-narrative-of-white-privilege-n2079510/print

not to the denigrated. certainly it would have been no minor affair to the pilgrims.

I agree;  just like it was no minor affair for religions to denigrate gays.     But hey, that is all in the past.   Silly religions have less influence and that is a move in the right direction.

• Like 1