Sign in to follow this  
safetylast25

Your favorite Harold Lloyd film?

8 posts in this topic

I've only seen four of Lloyd's movies: Safety Last, The Freshman, Girl Shy and Grandma's Boy. Of those I liked Girl Shy the best.

Safety Last all the way. I think the reason I like it so much is because of his constant struggle against time. It's a problem I have in my everyday life so I can easily relate to it.

Hi everybody. This is my first posting here.

My favorite Lloyd feature is The Kid Brother. It's the only film I've ever attended where someone literally fell out of his seat because he was laughing so hard. I was sitting right beside him. It was in a film history class at NYU taught by the late-great William K. Everson (a.k.a. "the man who has seen everything"), and the offending scene was near the end where the monkey is stomping around the boat in human-size shoes.

My second favorite Lloyd feature is The Freshman. Favorite moment? When Harold suddenly becomes popular and can't do his "Step Right Up and Call Me Speedy!" two-step fast enough to keep up with the crowd.

In case anyone is interested, here's my website where I preview upcoming classic films (mostly on TCM): http://www.classicfilmpreview.com. The most recent preview is for Only Angels Have Wings, which is scheduled for Tuesday, May 30 at 11:45 a.m. eastern time on TCM.

Safety Last has to be my absolute favorite. The final sequence where he has to climb up the side of the building is pure comedic brilliance. After that, I'd have to say the Freshman takes a close second.