Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Sick of these CHARITIES

7 posts in this topic

Every month, since I got out of the hospital last summer( don't recall much problem with this before), I've been swamped with charities bugging me for money seemingly every day in my mailbox.  I must have accumulated enough address labels to last me 40 years!

I'm particularily sick of those charities like DAV( Disabled American Veterans), PAV( Paralyzed American Veterans) WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT and the like.  I'm SICK of them constantly coming to me for a handout!  I wish they'd STOP it already!  They shouldn't be pestering me, or anybody ELSE for money.

Sepiatone

Every month, since I got out of the hospital last summer( don't recall much problem with this before), I've been swamped with charities bugging me for money seemingly every day in my mailbox.  I must have accumulated enough address labels to last me 40 years!

I'm particularily sick of those charities like DAV( Disabled American Veterans), PAV( Paralyzed American Veterans) WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT and the like.  I'm SICK of them constantly coming to me for a handout!  I wish they'd STOP it already!  They shouldn't be pestering me, or anybody ELSE for money.

Sepiatone

Did you donate to one of them?    Once I did donate to a specific type of 'charity' and since they sell this info to other like charities I now get calls from that type of charity (since a charity doesn't have to follow the 'do not call' list block).

I would donate again to make those calls stop but instead they would just increase (as would the junk mail). 

• Like 1

Did you donate to one of them?    Once I did donate to a specific type of 'charity' and since they sell this info to other like charities I now get calls from that type of charity (since a charity doesn't have to follow the 'do not call' list block).

I would donate again to make those calls stop but instead they would just increase (as would the junk mail). 

let them pester all those self-professed humantarian hollywood celebs :lol:

Sepiatone

The Disabled American Veterans is the best organization representing disabled veterans.  I have been in several veterans or military related organizations and DAV beats them hands down.  It is the ONLY one is truly non-political and actually works for disabled veterans without expecting a reward.

It is unfortunate that they have taken up the mutiple mail solicitations in your case.  

There is usually a phone number on solicitations that explain how to have your name removed from mailings.

Personally I am sick of the lengthy TV commercials for WWP, which appears to be an organization that merely duplicates what the VA and other veterans organizations are already doing.  And of course, I'm sure they have a large, well-paid staff.

Wow.

I actually expected a larger response than this.  AND mostly "flame".  My biggest tregret in this was to not inform that I was really playing at "devil's advocate", and waiting to see if anyone took the bait.

The only one who came close was our friend NIPKOWDISC, who implied that we should let them  pester "those self professed humanitarian Hollywood celebs".

And to be honest, and apologize for not being so from jump, I DO, due to financial constraints, manage to send these charities a contribution on a bi-monthly to every third month rate( $75 each on average)

Well, fact is, whether because it's just "good press" , plus being tax deductable, those celebs he reviles DO kick in some very serious coin to these charities.  But, the MAIN target in my OP rant, and my biggest hint to it was in the post's last sentence---

"They shouldn't be pestering me, or anybody ELSE for money."  To wit------

There are many( too many in fact) factions in our House of Representatives(AND whom Nip seems to favor) who stridently fight to ensure that the wealthiest of this country's population and corporations pay a much smaller percentage of income tax on their income than do the middle class and working poor and smaller businesses.  Now, imagine the revenue  that would be generated if these individuals and corporations were required to pay a percentage of tax on their incomes equitable to the level of everyone else.  Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

It would also mean that much more of that revenue could be shunted over to help fund the Veteran's Administration and their hospitals at a proper level, and quite possibly removing the need for such "veterans needs" charities to raise the monies necessary to ensure proper care and aid to our severely injured returning veterans.

These same factions have NO qualms in shaming a gullible young population into displaying the noble amount of patriotism in the form of signing up to serve their country, but have long turned their backs on those who not only gave up any hope for what's considered a "normal" future, or even their very lives, by not making sure they're well cared for and otherwise compensated(which doesn't always mean money ).  Many returning, and even active duty soldiers have been heard complaining that they are poorly equipped when put into harm's way.  But, NONE seem thankful that their Senators and Congressmen are spared the humiliation of being seen out in public driving last year's Lincoln!

In other words, I was implying that not ONLY they shouldn't pester me or anybody else for money, but they shouldn't HAVE to.

This is TCM.  I'm fairly sure most of us in this forum have seen the movie THE MEN with Marlon Brando.  Was there ever a point in that movie that Brando's character was told his treatment would be discontinued due to a lack of funds? 

Or, was there also ever a scene like that in 1978's COMING HOME?  No.

Also personally, I wouldn't complain about ANY tax hike that also guarantees the money would go towards the proper medical treatment of returning disabled and/or paralyzed war veterans.

I knew a guy who was being treated for a mostly undiagnosed ailment at the local VA hospital.  Viet Nam vet.  I'd drive him to the VA facility often.  And often heard him gripe about how the doctors there were complaining about being underfunded, short staffed due to it, and not enough pharmacuticles to go around.  And THAT is shameful!(and this was back in the BUSH administration, you know, Mr. "Mission Accomplished"?).

I hope you now see my intent clearly.

Thank you for your time;

Sepiatone

that commercial with all the dogs and cats sitting in their cages is the one that bothers me. I love cats and dogs just like most people but trying to strike an emotional chord like that just to solicit money is wrong.

Yeah, I mostly agree.  But I reason that without actually SEEING the type of abuse they're fighting, one might not get their urgency.

But, I feel a few still shots quickly shown, and none of that "tear-jerking" Sarah McLachlan would be better.  But at least, they ain't cluttering up my MAILBOX with all that fire hazard.

One I know thinks they actually use well trained animals to look "pitiful" for the camera to get the commercials done.  He also thinks that bearded bleeding heart ISN'T in the middle of some third world country showing us poor kids living in filthy squallor.  He thinks it's all shot on some backlot that somebody left a HOSE running all night to make the scene look that squallid.

I dunno, but I DO imagine if all involved in those sold their camera equipment, the take would feed those kids for YEARS.

Sepiatone