Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Newer "classics"

57 posts in this topic

I haven't entered into this conversation thus far, and I'm not sure I want to even now (so don't worry, I probably won't stick around here), because I love movies from all time periods (which is not the same thing as saying I love all movies !) and therefore would have as much trouble picking and choosing and coming up with some top ten type list of favourite post-1960 movies as I would with favourite "Studio Era" films.

I always have a lot of difficulty thinking about and trying to decide which films will make the cut (no pun intended) with these kinds of discussions.

There are so many films I love that have been made in the past 50 years that I can't really narrow it down to a list of a few.

infinite 1, you're gonna love this:

I see all movies as being part of one long continuum, starting pretty much from when they first began, or at least from the early silents, right up to the latest film released this year. That's a long time. Although I absolutely love what I sometimes call "old movies"  (circumvents the whole "classic" bullshite definition argument), I also love movies made long after that "golden age" of movie-making became a thing of the past.

Sepia, I think this is a wonderful thread idea, and please believe me, I'm not dissing it. But I just cannot limit the films that have been made since 1960 (or even 1990) that I think are great, or are even just personal favourites of mine, to the space of just a post here. 

So even though I understand what your thread is about, and I applaud it, for me, I just think of all movies when making a list of those I like best, from all time periods, so it's too difficult for me to list just a few, newer classics, older classics, or not even classic at all but maybe I still like 'em.

Thanks for starting the thread, though, I enjoy reading what others are saying in it. 

(smiley face emoticon.  I refuse to say "emoji".)

• Like 3

Seeing a Coen Brothers film mentioned, I've seen most of their films and I find that over the last thirty years, there has rarely been a film makers like them. They're great story tellers.

• Like 3

filmlover said:

"What Dreams May Come" (1998)

"Shadow of the Vampire" (2000)

Thanks for listing your vote on those....haven't seen them yet & will seek them out.

Does anyone have an opinion as to what I said earlier about the broadcast distribution of LORD OF THE RINGS? Has it shown elsewhere on cable? Do you think anyone holding a film's "rights" might prefer TCM over other stations?

DarkBlue said:

And it certainly doesn't run uncut and commercial-free.

Only TCM runs movies respectfully like that. I hope that TCM eventually runs every good movie ever made because of that policy.

Agreed. This policy is why I had asked the LOTR question...

TikiSoo-- You're welcome for the film recommendations.  Yes, LOTR has shown elsewhere on cable--on TNT, one of the Turner channels.  I believe Warner Bros. (WB) holds the distribution rights. There are/were multiple lawsuits over LOTR, complicating rights.

As to whether a film distriibutor would choose a regular cable channel--it all boils down to money, unless the film(s) were a huge financial hit, like the LOTR saga--then, for maximum coverage and prestige, I would go with either TCM Or TNT (which has been putting on interesting dramas since "The Closer" was a huge ratings hit in 2005; it won star Kyra Sedgwick two Emmys, I think).  A guess; my answer to your question is Yes--and for future cases like LOTR, if the budgets were massive, & the film(s) were a box--office hit, make my answer a Resounding Yes.

What's with showing "Being There" in less than 90 days. Did someone miss the it a month or so ago?

Word is its DVD had been mistakenly placed inside the NORTH BY NORTHWEST's cover case.

(...but don't quote me on this)

• Like 2

filmlover 293 said: the LOTR saga--then, for maximum coverage and prestige, I would go with either TCM Or TNT 

You say "for prestige....TCM"

This was the point I was making....that TCM has a different "feel" than any other cable station. It has a sort of elitist air, of being "classic".

TCM seems to have a reputation for showing the highest quality movies in a "purist" format (no interruptions/editing) when compared to any other cable station. TCM has a loyal following and highest reputation among non-followers.

I would think any distributer with a large budget would prefer to have their film shown on TCM, over any other station.

• Like 1