NickAndNora34

Laura (1944)

54 posts in this topic

I have heard the radio play Laura. If memory serves me right, Clifton Webb is the only one from the original cast who wasn't in the radio play. Even the character was renamed as Paul Lydecker. Or is there another radio play based on the film in which Clifton Webb does appear?

20 hours ago, kjrwe said:

I have heard the radio play Laura. If memory serves me right, Clifton Webb is the only one from the original cast who wasn't in the radio play. Even the character was renamed as Paul Lydecker. Or is there another radio play based on the film in which Clifton Webb does appear?

You must listen to the radio version. Here it is on this site, episode #409, from 1945. You are correct in that Otto Kruger substitutes for Webb. He does the part so well you will not be disappointed. They did the play again in '54 with a totally different cast, so it seems Webb never did it again on radio.

I'll listen to this radio play again one of these days. Sadly, I have really neglected my beloved radio plays and it's time to get back into them!

By the way, what do others here think of the opening scene in Laura? I think that it was just Waldo's narcissistic nature which allowed him to think it would be okay to have a cop question him while he, Waldo, was having a bath. I don't think that it occurred to Waldo that Mark McPherson might feel uncomfortable at such a meeting. In the end, Mark handled it very well. He smirked a bit when Waldo got out of the tub and that was that.

• Like 1