Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

2016 season of Essentials

30 posts in this topic

It does seem unlikely for TCM. But Blood and Black Lace is considered a classic of the giallo genre, and acknowledging it as such in October, and so close to Halloween, is a possibility.

Thanks Larry. What I noticed on the schedule is they have removed the word "Essentials" from the Saturday primetime section. In previous months it would say something like "Essentials: Mothers Day" and we would know that the first movie is an Essential and the rest of the evening would follow the same theme. But now they are not branding Saturday evenings as part of the Essentials, at least not on the online schedule. 

My guess is something like MURPHY'S ROMANCE was acquired for an Essentials slot when they thought Robert and Sally were going to do a full season. So unless they film a special wraparound with Sally, and Robert has come back full time to do it with her, I am wondering if they are just going to air the movie as part of their theme 'Feel Good Romances' and let Ben introduce it.

The Jack Carson-Dennis Morgan movie makes it seem like they have temporarily discontinued the Essentials programming.

• Like 1

The Jack Carson-Dennis Morgan movie makes it seem like they have temporarily discontinued the Essentials programming.

I agree. I have no up-to-date inside knowledge of the situation, but my guess is that the folks at TCM have just scrapped their plans for the 2016/17 season of The Essentials. At this point, they are probably just hoping that Robert Osborne is well enough for a last hurrah in 2017/18. That way, they can arrange a proper sendoff for the man who has really become the public face of TCM over the years.

• Like 1

I agree. I have no up-to-date inside knowledge of the situation, but my guess is that the folks at TCM have just scrapped their plans for the 2016/17 season of The Essentials. At this point, they are probably just hoping that Robert Osborne is well enough for a last hurrah in 2017/18. That way, they can arrange a proper sendoff for the man who has really become the public face of TCM over the years.

It would have been nice had they made an official announcement, that Essentials was on indefinite hiatus and would be back full-time next year. Instead we have been left guessing for months. 

I was under the impression Sally Field had contracted to do another full season. And I like her hosting, so I am hoping to see her again with this franchise.

• Like 2

I try not to be too negative but Saturday night's primetime presentation was sad:

- Another week without an Essentials discussion.  I can't remember when the last one was.

- Ron Perlman did the intros as if he wasn't sure he wanted to be there.

- Accordingly he was dressed as if he just walked in off the street and someone gave him a sport coat to throw over whatever he happened to have on.

- It seems clear that Mr. Perlman is just reading someone else's script and adds nothing of his own.

- The first movie was Murphy's Romance.  It would have been great to hear Sally Field discuss this with Robert and provide first-hand comments.  Will we ever see either of them again?

The entire evening just made me long for the past.

I try not to be too negative but Saturday night's primetime presentation was sad:

- Another week without an Essentials discussion.  I can't remember when the last one was.

- Ron Perlman did the intros as if he wasn't sure he wanted to be there.

- Accordingly he was dressed as if he just walked in off the street and someone gave him a sport coat to throw over whatever he happened to have on.

- It seems clear that Mr. Perlman is just reading someone else's script and adds nothing of his own.

- The first movie was Murphy's Romance.  It would have been great to hear Sally Field discuss this with Robert and provide first-hand comments.  Will we ever see either of them again?

The entire evening just made me long for the past.

My guess is that MURPHY'S ROMANCE was selected with the intention of having Sally discuss it with Robert. But of course, those plans changed.