Sign in to follow this  
IanPatrickMovieReviews

"No Highway in the Sky" 1951 Video Movie Review - Almost Perfect!

4 posts in this topic

After watching "Phone Call from a Stranger," I felt like watching another classic that revolved around plane crashes...I ended up with "No Highway in the Sky," and I have to say it was a great watch.

As we grow nearer to the holidays, I review a movie about travel...and plane crashes! If you are traveling for Thanksgiving or Christmas, this movie may not be right for you at this time! 

Overall, a great thriller! What did you think of it? Write comments below and don't forget to subscribe on YouTube for future reviews!

• Like 1

Some comments--

Glynis Johns would do another film with James Stewart 14 years later-- the family comedy DEAR BRIGITTE, in which they played husband and wife. (Henry Koster directed both pictures.)

I'm glad you mentioned Stewart's passion for aviation. He had his own flying company after the war. 

As you noted, Stewart and Dietrich had previously costarred in Universal's western DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, which is probably a more well-known movie.

It's possible that Dietrich went and had Dior design her clothes, so she could look more radiant (and thereby upstage) the younger Glynis Johns and any other females in the film. An "aging" actress like Dietrich would have a few tricks up her sleeve to keep the attention on her, but it's nice to at least hear that once she got to know Glynis, they got along.

Do you think the point of these movies is to make audiences nervous?

• Like 1

Some comments--

Glynis Johns would do another film with James Stewart 14 years later-- the family comedy DEAR BRIGITTE, in which they played husband and wife. (Henry Koster directed both pictures.)

I'm glad you mentioned Stewart's passion for aviation. He had his own flying company after the war. 

As you noted, Stewart and Dietrich had previously costarred in Universal's western DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, which is probably a more well-known movie.

It's possible that Dietrich went and had Dior design her clothes, so she could look more radiant (and thereby upstage) the younger Glynis Johns and any other females in the film. An "aging" actress like Dietrich would have a few tricks up her sleeve to keep the attention on her, but it's nice to at least hear that once she got to know Glynis, they got along.

Do you think the point of these movies is to make audiences nervous?

That's definitely the point of these movies! I read somewhere that disaster movies fit into the whole Cold War thing...paranoia.

• Like 1

That's definitely the point of these movies! I read somewhere that disaster movies fit into the whole Cold War thing...paranoia.

Interesting. Hadn't really thought of it in those terms before...