Sign in to follow this  
PrinceSaliano

ASK THE PROGRAMMERS thread

37 posts in this topic

:huh:

Hot Spell (1958) produced by Hal B. Wallis, directed by Daniel Mann, written by James Poe (a SOUTHERN writer) stars Shirley Booth Anthony Quinn, Earl Holliman, Shirley MacLaine and Eileen Heckart.

never heard of it???

Hi - thanks for so many nice comments. Regarding issues with aspect ratio, closed captioning, etc., we do preview the films. There are times that only pan & scan versions are available and we don't learn this until very close to the air date so can't make a last minute change. Other times the wrong version is accidentally aired. But our goal is to play films unedited in their original aspect ratio. Regarding captioning, there are sometimes technical issues with the files - even if everything seems fine there might be some glitch that disrupts the way captioning is presented. We always try to minimize these but they do happen sometimes.

Thank you for your quick response.  I hope this thread becomes a conduit to address other issues posters have concerns about.  I also hope responding doesn't become a burden.

• Like 2

Hot Spell (1958) produced by Hal B. Wallis, directed by Daniel Mann, written by James Poe (a SOUTHERN writer) stars Shirley Booth Anthony Quinn, Earl Holliman, Shirley MacLaine and Eileen Heckart.

never heard of it???

LET IT GO, Nip..........................please!!  :blink:

Let's not turn this into a 'Suggest A Movie' thread !

• Like 1

Dear TCM Progammer,

Thank you so much for appearing here and answering these question from those of us very interested in seeing TCM continue to showcase the greatest films available.

My question is in regards to the films themselves.

Many here on the message boards seem to think that the demise of TCM is near. That with newer films being shown in primetime, many of the older standards from the Golden Age of Hollywood are being shown during the overnight hours or very early in the mornings. Some think the shift from the older films to the more recent films suggest that programming decisions are being made to hasten the direction of TCM towards a more hip or youthful audience and that the over 50 crowd is being pushed aside.

Could you please explain just how you go about leasing films, and or how decisions are made in regards to which films are shown in primetime and why?

One last thing. Many here seem to think that all films are available to be shown on TCM. But is it not true that not all films available have not yet been converted into HD versions. And does this really matter since TCM up converts to the 1080i resolution?

Thank you so much again for appearing here while you have been out of the office.

Rey (aka fxreyman)

never heard of it???

I never heard of it either until you turned it into a quest. And I'm old enough that I was alive when it came out. The programmer said he'd look into it. So now will you stop talking about it?

• Like 2

I never heard of it either until you turned it into a quest. And I'm old enough that I was alive when it came out. The programmer said he'd look into it. So now will you stop talking about it?

I can see you don't fully understand the nature of his quest.   He won't stop until TCM shows Hot Spell.  Even if they do, many of us fear he will get on a new Hot Spell quest;  e.g. asking TCM to show the film backwards!     :unsure:

I can see you don't fully understand the nature of his quest.   He won't stop until TCM shows Hot Spell.  Even if they do, many of us fear he will get on a new Hot Spell quest;  e.g. asking TCM to show the film backwards!     :unsure:

:lol:

I'm a longtime viewer, frustrated by the continued absence of Universal/Paramount titles (1929-1946). I understand the programmers wouldn't be able to discuss details of any negotiations...but are there any negotiations under way? Will we ever see rare Carl Laemmle-era talkies on TCM? How about the treasure trove of Universal 1940s Bs with Evelyn Ankers, Anne Gwynne, Anne Nagel, Patric Knowles, Robert Paige and David Bruce? Or Paramount early talkies with Clara Bow, Fay Wray, Nancy Carroll, Richard Arlen, Gary Cooper and Charlie Ruggles?

• Like 5

I'm a longtime viewer, frustrated by the continued absence of Universal/Paramount titles (1929-1946). I understand the programmers wouldn't be able to discuss details of any negotiations...but are there any negotiations under way? Will we ever see rare Carl Laemmle-era talkies on TCM? How about the treasure trove of Universal 1940s Bs with Evelyn Ankers, Anne Gwynne, Anne Nagel, Patric Knowles, Robert Paige and David Bruce? Or Paramount early talkies with Clara Bow, Fay Wray, Nancy Carroll, Richard Arlen, Gary Cooper and Charlie Ruggles?

bumping this up. Hello?  Hello?  Anyone out there?

• Like 2

I am totally and happily amazed that apparently a "real live" TCM programmer reads and has actually responded to one of our threads on these boards!

Hopefully this was not (will not be) just a "one shot" fluke occurrence.

I am hopeful that more TCM "insiders" (in addition to the programers) will do likewise, as Robert and Ben are constantly referring the TCM viewing audience to TCM.com and I am sure that there are countless viewers who at least search these forums when they have a question or concern or wish to contact somebody at TCM for some kind of input.

We do "whine" a lot here (often over "little" things), but overall I believe that the people that do regularly post on these boards are generally representative of the dedicated TCM viewing audience and fan base.  

I think that it would be extremely valuable for TCM to employ some of their people, perhaps on a rotational basis, to regularly check the boards for worthwhile questions and have a dedicated "pinned" location somewhere on these boards that they (actual TCM representatives) can regularly (or at least periodically) respond to us.

That way, we can point each other (and of course all of the newbies who post) to an actual TCM represented thread for their queries instead of just respond with our hypotheticals.  

I believe that such a "pinned" thread legitimately endorsed by TCM would go far in reducing the frustration level of many of the posters here, and likewise address the concerns of most of TCM's broader viewing audience.

The thread would, of course, require some strict Moderation to prevent bombardment of repetitive questions on issues that have already been addressed by actual TCM staff, but the value of having a specific location for actual dialogue with real TCM representatives cannot (should not) be underestimated, especially since we can get no specific response to any of our queries from the Contact Us ("Submit an email to one of our service representatives") TCM Support Center http://www.tcm.com/contact-tcm.html

• Like 5

Has Tim Burton ever presented some of his favorite films on TCM?  I know he is a big fan of Vincent Price and was most likely influenced by German Expressionism so it would be interesting to see his picks.  Please pardon my ignorance, I don't recall if he has appeared as a guest programmer. 

• Like 1

Hello, Programmers!

I am wondering if the 1964 movie, "Fate is the Hunter" will be broadcast anytime soon, or is it held up in some 'rights' dispute.

Maybe even a Suzanne Pleshette day...!

Thank you for your time.

Don