[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
thomas

best three stooges short

20 posts in this topic

"Back to the Woods" (1937). The Stooges play pilgrims in colonial America. When they go out hunting for turkeys, Moe gives the order, "Fire at will." Curly asks, "Which one is Will?" Later the Indians capture Larry and tie him to a tree, where he's attacked by a woodpecker. Hilarious.

I love the three stooges. One of my favorites is the one where they play golf. The way they ruin that golf course and curly washes his clothes in the golfball cleaning machine..funny stuff, but I love all of the shorts too. In my area they have a weekly show on called Stoogapalooza and I try to watch it every week.

Violent is the Word for Curley. The boys give "super service at a gas station.Sing "Swingin the Alphabet".

I love them all, but for different reasons. If I'm looking for more developed story lines, most of the Curly shorts would be the ones to watch. But for all out, no holds bared knock-about slapstick violence, the ones with Shemp seem to fill that bill. Having said that, one of my favorites is a Curly short that was more in the Shemp slaptick vein with the boys battling a trio of suited goons called "Three Loan Wolves", followed closely by "Dizzy Detectives". I really prefer the shorts where the boys come together to take on henchmen and villians who had done them wrong, coming out on top after battling back. Does anyone know why there's hardly any good ol' fashioned konk on the head silly slapstick in the world anymore?

I don't have a favorite,they were all good,except the ones with Joe Besser! Besser was good on the Abbott&Costello TV Show,of the 1950's,along with Hillary Brooke,who as a kid,I thought was very hot! That term wasn't in use in the late 50's!

I've alway preferred the earlier Columbia shorts directed by Del Lord. My favorites are DISORDER IN THE COURT, THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS and HOI POLLOI.

I love them all, but my top two favorites are Cash and Carry (1937) and Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise (1939). I still laugh continuously when I watch these two even though I've seen them 30 times a piece!

I love "Swingin' the Alphabet!!" That song is one of the funniest and most enjoyable musical numbers in film. Ah - Larry and his violin.

I'm going to pst some of it on the Pointless Thread - it's a very quiet week in the office this week, we need some pep.

Macbride asked: "Does anyone know why there's hardly any good ol' fashioned konk on the head silly slapstick in the world anymore?"

Thank the do-gooders who want to protect kiddies from violence, but can't tell the difference between a a konk on the head and a shotgun blast to the belly. Who are those people who count "incidences of violence" on TV and dutifully mark it down when Bugs Bunny hits Elmer Fudd with a pie?

The Stooges couldn't make their films in today's climate, although the Farrelly Brothers are supposedly going to try.

> The Stooges couldn't make their films in today's climate, although the Farrelly

> Brothers are supposedly going to try.

The Farrellys are no longer involved with the project. ... the Farrellys' option to direct lapsed a few months ago. Rights reverted back to Comedy 3, who've partnered with an independent producer. Comedy 3 says it may still use the Farrellys' original script, which is an R-rated mess of bathroom humor and language.

A direct-to-video train wreck waiting to happen.

My favorite Stooge short is GOOF ON THE ROOF with Shemp. The entire episode is the three of them cleaning their house and it is filled with just about every slapstick gag you could think of.

I have many favorites, but can't think of a lot of the titles!

But I'm thankful that many of my favorites have already been mentioned -- DISORDER IN THE COURT, HOI POLLOI, and VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY. I would also add TASSELS IN THE AIR, YOU NAZTY SPY, and any of their early shorts directed by Charley Chase.

Again, I can't think of the title, but my favorite with Shemp puts the three of them in a dry cleaning store called "The Pip Boys" where they foil a gang of bank robbers.

By the way, Stooges director Del Lord was one of the original Keystone Kops.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned too. I didn't see POP GOES THE EASEL mentioned yet - the one where the boys turn plaster of Paris into mud and thereafter treat it with all the reverence they ascribe a cream pie. Although I concur that the best stooge of all time was Curly Howard, I'm impartial to Shemp with the boys in SCOTCHED IN SCOTLAND. Great laughs...or maybe I should say, "Nyuk, Nyuks!"

On Monday, December 04, 2006 at 10:03 PM, proffate said:

Macbride asked: "Does anyone know why there's hardly any good ol' fashioned konk on the head silly slapstick in the world anymore?"

Thank the do-gooders who want to protect kiddies from violence, but can't tell the difference between a a konk on the head and a shotgun blast to the belly. Who are those people who count "incidences of violence" on TV and dutifully mark it down when Bugs Bunny hits Elmer Fudd with a pie?

The Stooges couldn't make their films in today's climate, although the Farrelly Brothers are supposedly going to try.

Because more modern stuff prefers gun violence, shoot em up, and explosions. The slapping around and conks on the head is considered too lame by today's standards. That being said though, I seriously doubt that people back then thumped and knocked each other in the head as much as the three stooges did, because in real life, it would've given people brain damage the amount of times they were getting knocked upside the head. But of course, movies and tv have always exaggerated those things. Just like in more modern movies, how many people in real life are always shooting each other up like in the Lethal weapon movies?