Sign in to follow this  
la_fleur

Matt Helm series

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone else seen movies in the Matt Helm series starring Dean Martin? I think they fall somewhere between action and comedy. They were pretty weak, overall, but are interesting to watch. I believe there were four of them - The Ambushers, The Wrecking Crew, The Silencers, and Murderers' Row based on books of the same titles. The Wrecking Crew is one of the few films which starred Sharon Tate.

It looks like on Amazon they have a set of all the movies. They might be fun for a lark but I agree they were hardly great movies. I seem to remember Dean's character didn't want to do any more than he had too.(Unless it involved the ladies) I think there was a TV series in the 80s where they tried to play it more straight. Tony Franciosa maybe?

It's one of the worst travesties in Hollywood history. The Matt Helm novels by Donald Hamilton are among the very best action thrillers America has ever produced. In the same league with Dash Hammett, Ross MacDonald, Elmore Leonard, Jim Thompson, and George V. Higgins. Raw, violent, bloody, and disturbing.

If only there was a way to wipe those Dino romps out of our communal memory so that the way could be paved for faithful adaptations of this fine fiction series.

• Like 2