Sign in to follow this  
thomas

what movie would you like to see be remade and who should be in it

31 posts in this topic

I'd like to see The Scarlet Pimpernel remade with modern gadgets and costumes. I love the original and usually I hate remakes but this movie could be good if done right. I'm not sure what actor could ever play Leslie Howards part..I'll have to think on that one.

It would be intersting to see Hanks do Stewart's role, but it would have to be set in the past. An honest normal citizen could never get elected in this day and age...unless they made him independently wealthy.

Some cynicism's a healthy thing, particularly when politics are concerned, but ... perhaps you forgot that Stewart's character (a youth leader) is appointed by his state's Governor to replace a Senator that died.

Maybe Hanks as a young man, but I think he's a bit too mature for the role now.

There was a rather entertaining mini-series type of remake of The Scarlet Pimpernel a few years back--a British production, I think. It starred the usually dorky Richard E. Grant, but he really worked (and even seemed attractive) in the role.

Gosh, 100 posts. I really must like to talk about movies!

Though I've enjoyed the past three versions, I would like to see a remake of Daddy Long Legs that is set in 1912 and completely faithful to Jean Webster's book. I'll grant that it's hard, though, to quite convey on film the magic of the book's surprise ending.

Forgot about the governor appointment I mean, in "Washington." Been a long time since I've seen it--years.

Somebody posted something a while back about a remake of "Witness for the Prosecution" with Michelle Pfeiffer. That would be good if they could pull it off--up dating the story and all of course.

Replying to reports that Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are going to remake BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID,,a quote from Robert Redford.."Why do they have to mess with things that were perfect the first time around ?".........Courier Journal [Louisville].

My sentiments also[iMHO].

ayres, I would like to see a version of Daddy Long Legs that is faithful to the novel, also. It was one of my favorite books as a girl. I love the Fred Astaire musical, but it would be nice to see a version set in 1912.

I don't mind remakes if they're good. After all, Hollywood has been remaking movies practically since the beginning of the film industry!

Sandy K

Me, too! I think Fred makes a good Jervis Pendleton (though Jervis was only about 35 in the book!), and I find Leslie Caron sweet--but one of the most startling things about the book is how brilliant and ahead-of-her-time Judy is. Not one of the movie versions depicts that.

Message was edited by:

Ayres

I persoanlly think that classic films should NOT be remade. movie makers of these days won't do a very good job. They would ruin a perfectly good movie. Leave the old films in the past. Besides, actors and actress of today are lousy. They could never be as good as the stars in the past.

Well, there's no reason to remake the masterpieces -- just rerelease them. But there are some older movies that could be remade. I wrote this in another thread last month without realizing this thread existed:

"I'm still aghast that Warren Beatty attempted to remake Love Affair*, or that Mr. Van Sant made another Psycho. And yet there are some movies that seem ripe for remake. I see Theodora Goes Wild with Ellen DeGeneris in the Irene Dunne role. The character is in the closet while writing sensational lesbian pulp novels. They can even keep the original 1936 tagline "Meet The Gayest Lady Who Ever Went To Town!".

It seems so wrong to remake anything that originally starred Audrey Hepburn -- Sabrina?!; but isn't it tempting to make an updated and frank Breakfast at Tiffany's while excising the caricature of Mr. Yunioshi?"

* Though it's certainly difficult to argue against the first remake An Affair to Remember. I'm sure Mr. Beatty didn't set out to make a subpar movie...

I agree with you, they should stop making re-makes of such excellent movies, they end up being trash,how could they do that to such movies. "The Truth About Charlie" is a re-make of "Charade" and the remake was crap,"Alfie" is another example, and there are many more that are re-makes that came out bad. It makes me cringe when I see another movie being re-made, (I stopped watching re-makes now since they come out bad)just leave them alone and come out with something original for a change.

Here, here. I could not agree more. All these remakes and sequels show a definite lack of creativity. It's almost if someone were saying "the original brought in this much, if we do half of that adjusted for today's inflation we should be fine." Not only am I sick of remakes, but I am especially sick of remakes with Steve Martin--he has really made me appreciate the stars of the originals (Spencer Tracy, Clifton Webb, Peter Sellers).

"what movie would you like to see be remade and who should be in it"--------

Good Times.........replace Sonny and Cher with:

William Powell and Myrna Loy.

If I've told you once , I've told you a hundred times, the movie industry is a business. And business is about making money, not movies. The kind of movies that get made are based on carefull market research and profiling, and the product is tailored to suit the requirements of a specific demographic, i.e. the 18 to 35 age group. On average this group is not particularly intelligent or sophisticated. They are like children in an amusement park.

The overriding criteria in any business is to maximize profits.

The movie industry's concept of a 'GOOD' movie is entirely different from your concept of a 'GOOD' movie. The fact that a movie may be a piece of mindless crap, and despised by film critics is completely irrelevent. If it turns a profit, then it's a 'GOOD' movie.

A director such as Clint Eastwood may be permitted to indulge in making quality product such as 'Million Dollar Baby', But he sure had to eat a lot of spaghetti and shoot a lot of punks before he could do so.

Regards

Metry Road - I resent your comment about people between the ages of 18 to 35 are (on average) is not particulary intelligent or sophisticated. If you are so intelligent, learn out to spell "careful" correctly!

As a intelligent and sophisticated 33 year-old, I absolutely love watching TCM! And, I constantly watch it 24/7!

For me classic novels by (Oscar Wilde, P. G. Woodehouse, Evelyn Waugh, John Galsworthy, Thomas Hardy, Anthony Trollope, Dickens) are always good material for remakes. In these cases they are just reinterpreting the story line with different actors, concentrating on differents aspect of the plot or giving more waite to some character in the book.