Back to the Future (1985)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Absence of Malice (1981)

Sounder (1972)

Coal Miner?s Daughter (1980)

Nashville (1975)

Airport (1970)

Fred,

It is annual 31 days of Oscar salute that TCM does every year.

The fun this year is in playing the game to figure out what each day's theme is.

But really, they've been doing this salute for years and is not evidence or further evidence that TCM is doomed.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

lz . . .

I think the best thing to do, at this point, here in the TCM City, is to do what one does in any city --- just ignore the misfortunate and deluded kook wearing the sandwich-board proclamation.

That, and, when feeling gracious, toss the poor blighter two bits out of pity.

B-)

Fred, what about the other 350 films (many classics) to be shown in February?

You didn't list them.

I have to agree with Fred C. Dobbs. It looks like they horked those movies straight from the Encore channel. Do we tune into TCM to see "Back to the Future", "Hook", "Bridges of Madison County"????? Leave that garbage to Encore and HBO to show and show them they do...very regularly. Why does TCM have to show them too? How about those wonderful "Sister Act" movies, are they next? The Academy Awards has been around since 1929 as far as I know, and these are the best that they could come up with? The last thing that I want to see when I watch TCM is Michael J. Fox, Madonna, Stallone etc. Those hacks don't belong anywhere near TCM. And whats with "The Karate Kid" being shown twice in a month? I like some modern movies too, such as anything by Martin Scorsese, but I don't need to see them on TCM.

I am thoroughly enjoying tonight's silent film line-up, I will say.

Constarkel, TCM is also presenting 350 other films during the month of February, many of your favorites to be sure.

When those few newer films are shown, just change the channel as I did tonight when the silent films came on.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to "The Bridges of Madison County" to see Meryl Streep's mesmerizing performance.

Cornstarkel and Fred

Whether you consider them classics or not, the bottom line is they were nominated for Oscars in one category or another so the Academy thought enough of them.

That's why they are being shown on TCM in February because it's TCM's annual salute to Oscar, hence "The 31 Days of Oscar".

From the first movies nominated back in the 1920s till the movies nominated last year, all are eligible to be shown on TCM during Feb.

Every year we go through this. If you don't believe me check way back in the forum archives. You'll see this is not unusual nor the end of the TCM.

?Whether you consider them classics or not, the bottom line is they were nominated for Oscars in one category or another so the Academy thought enough of them.?

Who cares if they were nominated for Oscars in the 1970s or the 1990s. They aren?t ?classic? films. This is just a ruse to start slipping more modern films into the TCM schedule, just like AMC did. You aren?t fooling anyone. We aren?t idiots. We've been watching TCM for years to see classic films and to get away from the modern film junk shown on other channels.

Look at ?Dick Tracy?, 1990 Academy Award winner for: Art Direction and Makeup! LOL! Barf!

Yeah, a real ?classic?! LOL!

Now, let?s compare the 1990 Academy Awards...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0149801.html

... with the 1940 Academy Awards....

http://www.filmsite.org/aa40.html

And 1950:

http://www.filmsite.org/aa50.html

And the 1929-1930 Academy Awards...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0147939.html

And the 1930-1931 Academy Awards....

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0147948.html

Fred, tcmprogrammer was the 'goat' for the Anime. That's what they called the fall guy in the NY Daily News, right? The 'goat'?

The programming has changed with the introductory logo and with the appearance of Ben the Nepotist.

All that remains are the commercials and the TCM #1, 2 and 3.

It's happening in Europe, and the WC is in charge of Warner and CBS. WOR is no more and neither is my childhood favorite, WPIX, from whence I got letters from Captain Jack McCarthy. FOX ate WNEW a long time ago, from whence I got letters from Frank Nastasi.

It ain't for the better, Fred, don't listen to the children. It's the beginning of the end, since there won't be another TCM which took the place of AMC.

Last one out turn out the lights.

Hey......we'll always have TCM circa 2003.

Will all you "Prophets of Doom" please find another channel to watch. Leave TCM to those of us who appreciate its programming. We're sick of hearing you complain over everything TCM does. What's next, you don't like the host's suit? By the way the 1970's are 25-30 years ago and a great film of that era could certainly be considered a "classic".

The problem is the monthly themes. A couple of films exploring that theme per day or night is fine, but when it runs film after film after film, for hours on end, that gets old fast, even when one likes the theme. When one doesn't, it makes TCM the channel of last resort.

A broader mix of films is always welcome.

Most of us watch TCM because it is the only place to go to watch the great films from the golden age of Hollywood. Of course we are disappointed when TCM decides to "broaden our horizons" and showcase the modern movies that are available on every other channel. Regarding the Oscar theme, that could be a great theme since there are so many quality films that were nominated or won between 1929 and even up to the 60's.

Mark, I love that handle 'Prophets of Doom'. When I first saw the title of this thread 'The End Is Near", I thought Fred was either leaving the boards or it referred to the movie "On the Beach".

There should be a thread 'Prophets of Doom' for all for those constant whiners to gather and complain.

Mongo,

You are one of the ones who is lobbying to ruin TCM by showing junk non-classic films like Airport and Dick Tracy, and films like ?Coal Miner?s Daughter?, which has shown several times on other channels during the past several months and will show on TCM in February. And then you have the gall to insult classic movie fans.

Webster's defines CLASSIC as: of recognized value, a work of enduring excellence.

In 20 years movies made today will be considered classics by some so, who are we to judge? What we may call classics, others may not. there will always be two sides to the coin.

vallo

There should also be a section for Constant TCM Shills, so that the "Thank-You Sir,-May-I-Have-Another" crowd can gather together and celebrate about whatever TCM decides to program. If you people like this modern programing so much, there are better outlets such as Encore, HBO, Showtime, AMC, TNT and Adult Swim. They show this junk all the time. If there is a public access channel in your area, you can load up on all of that Bollywood that you were crowing about last year. My point is with all of outlets for these modern "classics" why does TCM have to show them as well?

Can someone please tell me just how old a film must be to be a classic? And is everything before that date considered a classic? Junk has been produced in every period! Cannot a classic have been made this year or last year? Do I have to wait twenty or thirty years to see it when it will then be considered a classic?

I don't watch television twenty-four hours a day and have only been a TCM subscriber for a year now, so I am looking forward to seeing "Coal Miners Daughter" and "Bridges of Madison County" and several others mentioned in your list. So sue me.

The end is nowhere near - we're just getting started!

Ralph

Obviously the definition of a classic movie will be different to each person. I watch TCM for the pre 60's movies, which are not available on other channels. TCM used to be a channel you could leave on all day if you wished and none of the modern crap would make an appearance. My beef is just that those modern films are available every day on the other stations, so why does TCM have to show them?

Couldn't you define classic as a time period and a level of quality? As someone pointed out junk has been made for decades. Junk has been made by most of our favorite stars. Does that mean don't show them? No, even old junk can be interesting. I do feel that more modern films have to have a level of quality to them. As this is generally outside what TCM does it would seem they have to be held to a slightly higher standard. I'm not crazy about watching a lot of new films here. You can usually get them too many other places. TCM has responded to similar threads before stating they have no plans to change their mission. If it's a matter of quality some of these are no worse than things being played now. I don't feel the end is that near, if at all.

Mongo, I thought the same thing. I was expecting some interesting trivia about Edgar Casey, Nostradamus or the Inca Indians mythology about the end of times. I was a little disappointed to find out it was just a trashing of some particular genera of films.

Movieman,

I?m sure all of us here like TCM very much, but most of us who have been with TCM for a long time tend to like old movies and old classics. And some of us don?t like to see common modern movies creep into the schedule, especially since many of these films have already been showing for years on other cable and satellite channels.

We pay a lot of money for cable and satellite services, and we don?t want to see all the movie channels become just alike, showing mainly non-classic modern movies. Many of us went through the same transition with AMC back in the ?90s, and we don?t want to go through it again.

Films like Rocky, Airport, Coal Miner?s Daughter, and Back to the Future have already shown many times on other channels. It might be different if these films were rare, classic, and not ever shown on any other channels, but they are common on other channels.

Our cable and satellite bills keep going up while these common films are now being repeated on various channels. I?m not going to continue to pay the higher and higher cost of satellite TV, if TCM starts showing a lot of modern movies that several other channels also show.

I'll try again:

February is TCM's annual salute to the Oscars. Nominated films from all decades are run as TCM salutes Hollywood's favorite golden boy.

If you've been watching TCM for years then this is not a surprise to you nor is it the end of TCM or the AMC-ification of TCM.

It is simply the annual TCM Salute to the Oscars called "31 Days of Oscar". And yes, it does spill over into the first week of March. Why? Because there are not 31 days in February.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

LOL, you?re not going to con me into liking, or accepting on TCM, Airport, Coal Miner?s Daughter, or Rocky, even if you say they received Nobel Prizes. These are common cheap non-classic modern junk films that frequently show on other channels.

Fred,

Not trying to con you into liking anything. :)

Just trying to make the point that the schedule for February is always like this because of the salute to Oscars and that this February is not an anomaly. It is not the beginning of the end nor the doom of TCM. It is the salute to Oscar.

If you think they are junk, you can always vote with your remote. Others will choose to watch them.

The choice is yours.

I agree that most of the list is films I'm not sitting up to watch. I hope a movie wouldn't be excluded because it was made after 1980 (or pick a date) if it meets the criteria like you point out. It would leave off some pretty good movies. I surely wouldn't want just anything on there. I sufferred with you and the many others on the AMC change and once was enough.

The last thing I want is TCM to go the way of AMC or most of the pay channels. I'd like to think the reason TCM will remain popular is because it is different than everyone else. Otherwise, for me, there is no reason to watch.