Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

The End Is Near

521 posts in this topic

And not to worry.  Because you see, like with "classic" movies and classic rock stations, these days there ARE no "greener pastures" to move ON to!  :huh:

Sepiatone

I didn't know you were an atheist.    :lol:  

See, what poor ol' Fred here evidently didn't realize at the time he wrote this was that there'd be ANOTHER and maybe even more salient reason why "TCM would lose classic film lovers" over time.

Uh-huh...they'd die.

(...ironic, ain't it)

Interesting comment, Dargo. Some fans die, and they don't have to be advanced in age to die. In theory a 19 year old classic movie fan could find the end is near. LOL

By the way, since I figured you'd check back to read more replies, I wanted to let you know TEAR GAS SQUAD, the 1940 Warners B film where Dennis Morgan sings all those Irish songs, will be airing on TCM soon-- September 13th. We discussed it before and I said I'd let you know the next time it was scheduled.

• Like 1

There is a new alternative for classic film fans should TCM go under. The NY Public library has opened its doors to the vaults of thousands of films just for getting a NYPL card.  Contact the NY    Public Library for details.

There is a new alternative for classic film fans should TCM go under. The NY Public library has opened its doors to the vaults of thousands of films just for getting a NYPL card.  Contact the NY    Public Library for details.

But these area only public-domain films,  right?    So one can see those films already on YouTube and other sites.

im4cinema2, on 13 Sept 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

But these area only public-domain films,  right?    So one can see those films already on YouTube and other sites.

Yeah sure ya could, James.

BUT, does YouTube have a couple of really cool big stone lions sittin' in front of it like the New York Public Library does?

(...no, it doesn't, now does it)

;)

And....pretty much everywhere ELSE PD films are streaming.  

(If there's something PD I want to look up, I just automatically check Amazon Prime first, I have a hunch it'll usually be there.)

DVD's, however, you can find from any library, NYC or not.  If you don't mind a little hard physical control on your viewing.   B)

Since I don't "stream" or rely heavily on Youtube for every little thing concerning my life, it's good to know of any outlets that make obtaining copies of movies possible. 

Sepiatone

And....pretty much everywhere ELSE PD films are streaming.  

(If there's something PD I want to look up, I just automatically check Amazon Prime first, I have a hunch it'll usually be there.)

DVD's, however, you can find from any library, NYC or not.  If you don't mind a little hard physical control on your viewing.   B)

I'm not following;   Can a public library provide the public NON-PD material (e.g. DVDs) without have to pay the actual owner of said material?

(in the same legal sense that TCM can't show a film that isn't PD without leasing it from the owner).

I'm not following;   Can a public library provide the public NON-PD material (e.g. DVDs) without have to pay the actual owner of said material?

(in the same legal sense that TCM can't show a film that isn't PD without leasing it from the owner).

Yes, the public library system lends DVDs the same as they do books. Did you think all of the books in a public library were public domain?

• Like 1

Yes, the public library system lends DVDs the same as they do books. Did you think all of the books in a public library were public domain?

Ok, I'm a dummy.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Some of you are not following. The NY Public Library is NOT making their film trove available by DVDs. With a registered library card you'll be able to see films through your lap tops or compute

Some of you are not following. The NY Public Library is NOT making their film trove available by DVDs. With a registered library card you'll be able to see films through your lap tops or compute

Any and all films, or public domain only? I'm not sure how the rights issues work regarding streaming and the library system.

No DVDs at ALL?

So, people without laptops and/or computers( and THAT'S more people than it sounds like you realize) are basically SOL?

Sepiatone

The NYPL does loan out DVDs, just like books....in addition starting last month cardholders may now access the Kanopy streaming service, using their library card number. Kanopy has 30,000 titles including most of the Criterion Collection.

• Like 3

Roy Cronin you have it right!   Besides the regular DVDs you can borrow like books there are films that can be downloaded by using a registered library card.  Those are the films you can't borrow as a dvd.

And you're not following:  It's the same digital crap MY library has, because whoever sold them a digital catalogue pasted on some wannabe service that thought they had a career digitizing cheap indie, Weinstein and PD titles.

https://nypl.kanopystreaming.com/frontpage

Here, let me run down a few from a quick scan of our (western MA area) digital catalogue, and let me know if they sound familiar:

- Hoodwinked Too

- The Iron Lady

- Food, Inc.

- ITV Sherlock Holmes w/Jeremy Brett

-  House on Haunted Hill:  in Color!

- Assorted PBS American Experience specials

- Assorted National Geographic specials

- Sharknado

- My Week With Marilyn

- Royal Wedding

- Inspector Gadget reruns

By an inexplicable coincidence, some of the exact same titles that resurface on Netflix, as so few now do.  Kanopy's has the slight advantage in that they managed to grab some of FilmStruck's files of their Criterion collection, but otherwise, it's the exact same indie-documentaries that you can get from scanning the Netflix catalog.

In other words, it's exactly what we've been talking about over on the Netflix thread, namely that the entire streaming industry has dwindled down to a lot of people trying to sell one small supply of titles in new ways.

I can appreciate that whoever's supplying NYPL's supply is getting in on the bubble, but proclaiming it as some "new innovation" is that particular kind of naive that goes beyond Pity and over into Annoying.

The End is Near, all right, but not TCM's--Face facts:  The Streaming Revolution of '10 is now over, and the viewer lost.  :(

• Like 1

Jeez....

I only miss the days when the library in my city loaned classical recordings back in the vinyl days.  They don't anymore and didn't even bother converting over to CDs.  Just quit loaning music altogether.  :(

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Insert default brag about how our town library absorbed almost the entire catalogue of the loyal old college-town DVD rental when it finally had to close after thirty years, and now the DVD section on the library's third floor is literally the size of a small storefront rental shop.

And, being in a greener college-town, has now replaced the Friday-night Blockbuster that also closed about ten years ago.

If there's one thing that's going to sell Blu/DVD's again, it's being able to compete with streaming's appeal for the young Millennial college student betrayed by YouTube:  

Being able to go downtown and grab a better-looking actual copy for free.   :)

Jeez....

I only miss the days when the library in my city loaned classical recordings back in the vinyl days.  They don't anymore and didn't even bother converting over to CDs.  Just quit loaning music altogether.  :(

Sepiatone

Years ago our library weeded the Audiotape and VHS collections because their circulation was very low. The weeded materials were put out for sale, and only the educational VHS sold fairly well. The rest of them and the audiotapes collected dust.

The library being Public always had to consider costs and approval of expenditures. We discussed one day duplicating all of the DVD collection so that we always had a copy of each title in the database and replace a lost or damaged movie, for example. The idea was finally rejected because there were some copyright and technological issues and of course, lack of funds.