Sign in to follow this  
albatros1

Poverty Row Musical

3 posts in this topic

Anyone old enough to remember a series of musicals about a group of college kids singing their way through predictable situations? The girl lead was a blonde names June ( she was in Babes in Arms) and a young man named Jimmy. I believe he really was a band singer of the day. The day being the mid 40's. I have never seen the movies on TV but would love to. I would buy them if I could. Of course those films could have been lost or destroyed, which was a common occurrence for B-Pictures.

Can't remember first-hand, but I can tell you that June Preisser and Freddie Stewart made a series of teen musicals for Monogram in the mid 1940s. I've never seen them, but I bet they'd be fun. I'd also love to see the ones Donald O'Connor made at Universal with Gloria Jean. And the ones Ann Miller made at Columbia. A wealth of stuff--where has it all gone?

Here's a site about June: http://www.picking.com/june.html

Sure sounds right. I was wrong about his name. I remember bits and pieces of them. After all it was 60 years ago. I liked them even at that age and thought going to college would sure be fun. Well college was fun but not like the movies. Too bad. Thanks for your post.