jaragon

"Brokeback Mountain" (2005)

32 posts in this topic

In the short story the women are barely mentioned- and the two lovers are much more isolated - and of course they look like average men not like movie stars- of course casting great looking male leads always helps the box office. ;)

• Like 1

Exactly. It is a romance drama. And usually melodramas (like comedies) have a hard time being taken seriously, when they could very well have containing within them very serious social messages. It is also a neo-western to some extent, and this fact is reinforced by its writing (Larry McMurtry has written many western-themed stories). But I honestly think its release was blown up by the liberal media because they wanted a film about gay characters in the mainstream. And I don't fault them for that, but it also gives the film a lot to live up to critically and it does not always succeed there. Its breathtaking cinematography, perceptive writing, sensitive performances and Lee's direction are what make it a solid film. But it could have been a story about aliens falling in love or gangsters falling in love and still have such merit.

As a movie advancing the cause of civil rights for gays, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN falls flat. And to be fair, I don't think that was ever its intention. We don't have to compare it to other gay cinema or to other mainstream cinema to realise it is a niche-marketed story whose major aim is to entertain and on a minor level to be provocative. It is not a heady political or grand social statement at all, and for people to try to raise it up to that level just seems like a waste of time, to be honest. 

I disagree that Brokeback Mountain  "falls flat" in terms of advancing civil rights for gays. It's as true now as it ever was that the pen is mightier than the sword. Civil rights aren't won simply by dramatic public events and speeches. They're won when the rightmindedness of the cause finally becomes clear to people formerly indifferent, unaware or hostile. Brokeback Mountain wasn't a "niche-marketed story" which was "blown up by the liberal media". It was a mainstream release of exceptional grace and it DID change the hearts and minds of many people who would cheerfully have avoided the subject of gay civil rights were it not for this film. After a decade in which such major changes have happened, it shouldn't be lost on us how much a factor was the quiet understatement of this film. Whatever grievances you have with the film, I don't agree that ineffectiveness should be one of them. 

• Like 1

I disagree that Brokeback Mountain  "falls flat" in terms of advancing civil rights for gays. It's as true now as it ever was that the pen is mightier than the sword. Civil rights aren't won simply by dramatic public events and speeches. They're won when the rightmindedness of the cause finally becomes clear to people formerly indifferent, unaware or hostile. Brokeback Mountain wasn't a "niche-marketed story" which was "blown up by the liberal media". It was a mainstream release of exceptional grace and it DID change the hearts and minds of many people who would cheerfully have avoided the subject of gay civil rights were it not for this film. After a decade in which such major changes have happened, it shouldn't be lost on us how much a factor was the quiet understatement of this film. Whatever grievances you have with the film, I don't agree that ineffectiveness should be one of them. 

I totally agree- it proves that cinema still has the power to change hearts and minds by making an emotional connection with the audience.  

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I feel you are inflating the contributions that BROKEBACK made to the gay community and civil rights. It's a piece of entertainment that does not have the kind of political goals that other more groundbreaking LGBT films have had. I am sorry if you do not see it that way and if you have grievances with my point of view. As I have stated it is a solid film (in terms of its entertainment value) but as a clarion call for gay civil rights, I don't think it's quite there. 

• Like 1

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I feel you are inflating the contributions that BROKEBACK made to the gay community and civil rights. It's a piece of entertainment that does not have the kind of political goals that other more groundbreaking LGBT films have had. I am sorry if you do not see it that way and if you have grievances with my point of view. As I have stated it is a solid film (in terms of its entertainment value) but as a clarion call for gay civil rights, I don't think it's quite there. 

I don't know how one measures how many people's POV towards gays as a civil rights issue where changed by a film like Brokeback.

But a few years after the release of the film liberal CA passed Prop 8 which banned SSM.      

• Like 1

Sure. I'm happy to agree to disagree. I never claimed it was a clarion call for gay civil rights. I think it's value was in the picture it painted in its quiet way of the collatoral damage which societal intolerance and indifference can have on citizens of any category who have been marginalized and/or demonized. It was a movie made for thinking people and I think many people, straight as well as gay, got the point. If it HAD been a clarion call, I don't think the point would have been made as well or attended to as closely. Anyway, these are probably my last thoughts on this subject, so thanks for the interaction and I hope we can agree..or not..again in the future.

• Like 1

If a filmmaker sets out to make a film with a political agenda it ends up sounding like a speech.  The reason "Brokeback " resonates with such a large audience is that they understood the human angle of the story.

• Like 2