NickAndNora34

Film You Tried to Watch but Couldn't Get Into It?

84 posts in this topic

Really anything from any year, decade, genre, I don't mind if you don't.  :)

Personally, I always try to watch a film before I judge it or listen to the potential negative reviews it has received. There are a few that I have tried but didn't like:

1. The Sun Comes Up (1949) with Jeanette MacDonald and Claude Jarman, Jr. This just didn't hold my attention at all. There's only so much Lassie can do to try to carry a film. 

2. Last of the Mobile Hot Shots (1970) with Lynn Redgrave. TCM recently aired this one. I watched the first 2 minutes and proclaimed it boring and unfeeling. 

• Like 1

Personally, I always try to watch a film before I judge it or listen to the potential negative reviews it has received.  

I think that's exactly what one should do. And sometimes, I have found with my own viewing experiences, it might be I'm still not won over by the end of the movie. But it sits in my brain for a few days, and maybe I will read an interview the director or lead actors did-- and I slowly change my mind about it. So for some classic motion pictures, the jury could be out for quite awhile, but eventually a favorable verdict is reached.

• Like 2

There was a piece of garbage 1981 horror movie called 'FEAR NO EVIL'.  I tried to watch this pile of sludge once.  I got through 25 minutes and found it to be totally uninvolving.  The movie was all over the place; switching from one scene and plot thread to another . . . but none of them were interesting enough to keep my attention.  I'd burn the negative for this junk if I could.       

"Cleopatra" (1963).  A four hour movie, the first 1/3rd with Elizabeth Taylor & Rex Harrison is good;  but after Harrison's Julius Caesar is killed, film becomes a chore to stay awake through. Taylor is OK, but Burton is sleep inducing, for me.  I eventually got through the complete film (it was on two videocassettes), but film is deadly dull, overall.

I recently tried to watch Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) but found Betty Davis's character too irritating to watch. Which is strange, because she essentially plays the same type of person in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962), which I loved. I'm planning to try and watch it again sometime.  

Another one I just thought of, is Wuthering Heights. I'm sure some people love it, and I guess it would be considered a classic by most people, but it didn't interest me. The film version I am referring to is the Merle Oberon/Laurence Olivier/David Niven one. I like all of those actors, but the movie was not interesting enough for me personally to watch all the way through.

The Blair Witch Project. I can only handle so many jittery hand held camera shots and closeups of dripping nostrils.

• Like 6

The Blair Witch Project. I can only handle so many jittery hand held camera shots and closeups of dripping nostrils.

That movie gave me motion sickness.  I still haven't seen it all the way through.

• Like 1

I'll have to agree with all the Lord of the Rings people.

I did manage to make it through the first one.  However, the second and third ones... how many battles can they have?? 

So boring.

The Hobbit is the shortest of all the books, yet it deserves three films?! Come on Peter Jackson!

I tried to watch "Black Narcissus" on Sunday, but I turned it off after about 15 minutes or so.  I know it's an acclaimed film, and I'd looked forward to seeing it, but...   Maybe after living through Catholic school for 8 years, I'd rather watch something more secular. ;)

• Like 2

I really want to like Terrence Malick's films. In theory, they're just the kind of films I love -- leisurely, beautiful, carefully constructed, experimenting with technique, etc. -- but I have been unable to get into Days of Heaven or The Tree of Life. However, I loved The New World. That connected with me. But none of his other films have.

I'll have to agree with all the Lord of the Rings people.

I did manage to make it through the first one.  However, the second and third ones... how many battles can they have?? 

So boring.

The Hobbit is the shortest of all the books, yet it deserves three films?! Come on Peter Jackson!

Same here.  I feel the same way about Star Wars and the Harry Potter series; I enjoyed only the first one.  

This week-end, I had the experience of wanting to see a film and literally not being able to get into it.  My husband and I went to the multiplex to see The Big Short.  We're both political and economic wonks and thought, how many people want to see a movie about the machinations behind the 2007-2008 housing debacle?  It was sold out.  We ran into two of my friends trying to get into Brooklyn (which I've seen - excellent, by the way) -- also sold out.  It turns out the other multiplex in the town next door closed two weeks ago, so all the movies were sold out or had only one or two seats left.  The theater is now literally "the only show in town."

Same here.  I feel the same way about Star Wars and the Harry Potter series; I enjoyed only the first one.  

This week-end, I had the experience of wanting to see a film and literally not being able to get into it.  My husband and I went to the multiplex to see The Big Short.  We're both political and economic wonks and thought, how many people want to see a movie about the machinations behind the 2007-2008 housing debacle?  It was sold out.  We ran into two of my friends trying to get into Brooklyn (which I've seen - excellent, by the way) -- also sold out.  It turns out the other multiplex in the town next door closed two weeks ago, so all the movies were sold out or had only one or two seats left.  The theater is now literally "the only show in town."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't get into all the big movie series.  I've seen the original first Star Wars but I haven't seen any of the others (except for the most recent one).  I saw the first four Harry Potter movies until I started finding them depressing.  I've seen more of the Lord of the Rings films than I care to, but it was because I was with other people who wanted to see them.  I personally was wishing I'd brought a book to the movies (lol! I would never do that).  I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies and have no desire to watch them. 

Science fiction and fantasy are two of my least favorite genres, next to horror.  I can watch some fantasy movies and find them completely entertaining, but then there are others where the fantasy is just too CGI, too over the top and there's no charm.  Nothing to grab me.  I love The Wizard of Oz which is fantasy, but that movie and all it's man-made special effects are charming and fun. Many of the new fantasy movies are so over the top in CGI and full of bland actors that they're just boring.

• Like 1

I know A Streetcar Named Desire is a classic....but having seen the movie three times now...I can safely say....I couldn't get into it all.

On the modern day side....everybody I know loves The Big Lebowski....despite repeat viewings....I still don't get what are the fuss is about when it comes to that movie.

• Like 1

I know A Streetcar Named Desire is a classic....but having seen the movie three times now...I can safely say....I couldn't get into it all.

Funny, CMR, the same thing happened to me with this movie.  The first time I saw it - many years ago - I loved it.  Then I saw it a second time more recently, and I wasn't as taken by it.  It's still a good movie, but I wasn't that drawn in the second time around...  Brando is great in this, but at a certain point things felt like they were "dragging on" for me.  It could have been more my mood at the time than the film itself.

I try to find some redeeming value or interesting aspect of everything I watch, especially the most beloved or acclaimed films, but it doesn't work out that way all of the time.

The most universally beloved film that does nothing for me is probably THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

The most consistently praised filmmaker whose work generally bores me is Jean-Luc Godard.

The most recently seen film that was very difficult for me to get into was ANDREI RUBLEV. It was shown on TCM IMPORTS, and it took me three tries to finish it. I was really hating it through most of the film, but by the end I think I began to see what the director was trying to say.

• Like 2

I tried to watch "Black Narcissus" on Sunday, but I turned it off after about 15 minutes or so.  I know it's an acclaimed film, and I'd looked forward to seeing it, but...   Maybe after living through Catholic school for 8 years, I'd rather watch something more secular. ;)

I happen to like Black Narcissus very much. Stunning cinematography by Jack Cardiff and a true sense of isolation and repressed sexuality. The final fifteen minutes of the film is genuinely suspenseful and eerie with, for me, a great shock moment. And that eerie choir music that builds and builds as it accompanies the visuals is terrific.

To each his own, of course (after all, this thread is about those acclaimed films that we just can't get into), but I would kindly suggest, Eugenia, giving the film another try, if possible. If you can make it to the final fifteen minutes, that final reel of the film will almost certainly hook you.

[...]The most recently seen film that was very difficult for me to get into was ANDREI RUBLEV. It was shown on TCM IMPORTS, and it took me three tries to finish it. I was really hating it through most of the film, but by the end I think I began to see what the director was trying to say.

But did he really have to exploit those poor animals to say it?

• Like 2

I happen to like Black Narcissus very much. Stunning cinematography by Jack Cardiff and a true sense of isolation and repressed sexuality. The final fifteen minutes of the film is genuinely suspenseful and eerie with, for me, a great shock moment. And that eerie choir music that builds and builds as it accompanies the visuals is terrific.

To each his own, of course (after all, this thread is about those acclaimed films that we just can't get into), but I would kindly suggest, Eugenia, giving the film another try, if possible. If you can make it to the final fifteen minutes, that final reel of the film will almost certainly hook you.

Thanks, Tom.  I respect your opinion and always enjoy reading your posts.  I definitely didn't give this film enough of a chance - I only saw about 15 minutes of it.  I didn't read enough about the movie before I started watching it, and I think I was expecting a different kind of plot... I didn't expect "suspenseful" and "eerie", and based on what you write it sounds like there's a lot to look forward to.  I will watch it again (my friend, a fellow classic film nut, had lent me his Blu Ray - I'll send him a quick text and tell him to bring it back to me!)

Thanks again! As an aside, I've seen a lot of great movies based on other posters' recommendations.  I'm also now looking forward to seeing "Abandon Ship" for the first time based on all the raves this movie got from board members here. :)

Thanks, Tom.  I respect your opinion and always enjoy reading your posts.  I definitely didn't give this film enough of a chance - I only saw about 15 minutes of it.  I didn't read enough about the movie before I started watching it, and I think I was expecting a different kind of plot... I didn't expect "suspenseful" and "eerie", and based on what you write it sounds like there's a lot to look forward to.  I will watch it again (my friend, a fellow classic film nut, had lent me his Blu Ray - I'll send him a quick text and tell him to bring it back to me!)

Thanks again! As an aside, I've seen a lot of great movies based on other posters' recommendations.  I'm also now looking forward to seeing "Abandon Ship" for the first time based on all the raves this movie got from board members here. :)

Great, Eugenia. I think you may well find Black Narcissus very worthwhile.

P.S.: Abandon Ship is a winner, too, a grim, realistic tale of survival based on a real disaster at sea. Tyrone Power is outstanding in it.

• Like 2