NickAndNora34

Film You Tried to Watch but Couldn't Get Into It?

94 posts in this topic

Hands down for me it is FIddler on the Roof.  I have tried on two different occasions to watch this film. The character Tevye becomes so annoying that my interest ends. 

The most recent ones I can think of are 'The Worlds Greatest Sinner' and 'Point Blank'.  

I was interested in WGS because I knew Frank Zappa did the music for it but I couldn't get into the movie.  This may be a common reaction to this movie.  I'm usually a big fan of cult movies like this but I turned it off three-fourths of the way through to watch 'The Dreamers' instead.

Visually, I found 'Point Blank' pretty interesting and I also liked the setting.  I thought the story progressed in such a strange way though.  There's also a scene early in the movie where Lee Marvin is walking down a hallway and his footsteps are very loud.  The scene ends but the sound of the footsteps continues for what seems like 10 minutes.  For some reason this irritated me and I don't know why.  I thought I would like the movie a lot more than I actually did.  I might try to watch this one again.

As a rule, I normally give a film two viewings before I pass judgement on it. Generally, films that I was not too crazy about the first time end up becoming some of my favorites, including Now Voyager and Laura. However, there have been a couple of films that I absolutely can not stand...

I generally enjoy movie musicals a lot, but two classics are two movies that I absolutely can not stand. The first is West Side Story. I don't know if it's the connection to Romeo and Juliet (my least favorite Shakespeare play) or the characters or even...the music (which must sound blasphemous to some people), but there was something that just rubbed me the wrong way. Although I generally like anti-heroes and villains because they are usually more interesting than the heroes, a story about a bunch of gang members just left me irritated and even a little disgusted. I also found the music a little grating. The second movie musical I found boring was My Fair Lady...it was just long dull. I always find this funny because one of my favorite movies is Gone with the Wind

Some other movies that I can think of are Citizen Kane and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Again I think, much like My Fair Lady, the length and pacing is just too long and slow for me. I don't mind long movies if they are engaging, but both of these movies were just tedious (and the theme for The Good the Bad and the Ugly was extremely annoying after the first hour. 

For me The Big Lebowski was a snore. While I just could not find any way to connect with this film I did appreciate it's probably bowling message! Also as a side note I believe that all Adam Sandler films should be taken to a recycle center take whatever few pennies they give you for them, take that money and put it toward destroying any new Adam Sandler films being made!

Hmm...let's see. There are lots of films that I couldn't like it at all. But it was in the news all the time so I had to give it a try. And every time I wanted 2 hours of my life back!

The Twilight series

50 shades of Grey

Moonlight (sorry but I'm not into the topic of the movie, but it received Oscar so...)

I couldn't watch  SULLY.

i was looking forward to this film, and really enjoyed Tom Hanks in CAPTAIN PHILLIPS and BRIDGE OF SPIES.

But THIS film seemed to have every shortcut imaginable to make it cheaply:

>flashbacks! Is there a crummier film device?

>Laura Linney as his wife, and 2 teen daughters out in the suburbs. (Why even cast the part?) They don't come to Sully's side---they are just dependents who exist only in the suburbs, a "reason" for this man to toil his life away with a huge airline looking over his shoulder.

>It seems to be a "male career crisis" story, which is all well and good, but why fit it around a truly fascinating event?

I had to stop watching, I just couldn't watch this guy suffer any more......

Recently for me, it was "The Last Unicorn." I tried really hard to watch the whole thing but had to stop about halfway through. Really, there's only so much Angela Lansbury can do to save a movie. 

Kind of an inactive thread but I wanted to take this opportunity to say how much I disliked The Lion in Winter. "Every family has its ups and downs." and other cringe-worthy lines. Prince John, the mouth-breather, Richard the "Lion Hearted" hiding behind curtains. Ugh.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:25 PM, Thenryb said:

Kind of an inactive thread but I wanted to take this opportunity to say how much I disliked The Lion in Winter. "Every family has its ups and downs." and other cringe-worthy lines. Prince John, the mouth-breather, Richard the "Lion Hearted" hiding behind curtains. Ugh.

I agree 100%. I tried to watch this one for Kate Hepburn, but even she wasn't strong enough to keep my attention.

I have never and will never understand the appeal of SHANE. Many consider it the Great American Western....for me it's a great sleeping pill.

Seriously I fell asleep watching it one time. I decided to give it another chance by trying to watch it a second time....the movie does absolutely nothing for me.

11 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have never and will never understand the appeal of SHANE. Many consider it the Great American Western....for me it's a great sleeping pill.

Seriously I fell asleep watching it one time. I decided to give it another chance by trying to watch it a second time....the movie does absolutely nothing for me.

Really Beth?!

Even Ladd's gun twirling didn't excite you???

LOL

(...just a little inside joke here, that's all...ya see, a couple years ago around here and before you came on the scene, there was a thread about this movie started by I believe Tom up in Canada, and it seemed the subject of Ladd twirling his gun while placing it back in his holster in one scene seemed to arouse the interests of many on the boards and the discussion of the pros and cons of this one aspect alone in the film must have gone on for two pages for more...it was a fun thread, and as I would surmise by now you have come to realize, as most all of Tom's threads are)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I really like Shane but it does unfold rather slowly and there it somewhat 'light' on action.   

Still it is a well acted and directed film that I find moving.   

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:14 AM, NickAndNora34 said:

Another one I just thought of, is Wuthering Heights. I'm sure some people love it, and I guess it would be considered a classic by most people, but it didn't interest me. The film version I am referring to is the Merle Oberon/Laurence Olivier/David Niven one. I like all of those actors, but the movie was not interesting enough for me personally to watch all the way through.

I love Wuthering Heights, think it's one of Olivier's best performances....but the movie does leave out at least half (maybe more) of the book's major conflicts. But in all honesty, in the novel, Heathcliff does become increasingly unlikable after (SPOILER ALERT) Cathy dies...and totally unrepentant of the destruction and misery he causes to others because of his mourning over her for the rest of his life and his resentment of not having won her for himself.

So I can sort of understand why the filmmakers at the time felt it was best just to just end the story as they had.

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I really like Shane but it does unfold rather slowly and there it somewhat 'light' on action.   

Still it is a well acted and directed film that I find moving.   

I am glad there are those who can appreciate SHANE....but alas I will never be one of them.

However I do appreciate a lot of films that can be slow moving and with little to no action.

"8 1/2", a much honored film by Italian directory Federico Fellini, but it just didn't do anything for me.   

For me, it was The Sandpiper (1965) starring Liz Taylor & Richard Burton, with Eva Marie Saint. It really didn't do anything for me. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

For me, it was The Sandpiper (1965) starring Liz Taylor & Richard Burton, with Eva Marie Saint. It really didn't do anything for me. 

I agree about it being a crap movie, but unlike most mentioned in this thread, it was roasted by the critics.