LawrenceA

Top Ten Films of...

2,988 posts in this topic

This is very premature, seeing as how we're just entering October, but I was wondering if anyone has any 2018 movies that they've seen so far this year that they'd recommend, or are likely to appear on their year-end list? I'd like to catch up on some 2018 movies by the end of the year, and I'm looking for recommendations.

The only theatrical releases that I've seen are:

  • Avengers: Infinity War (8/10)
  • Black Panther (8/10)
  • A Quiet Place (8/10)
  • Annihilation (7/10)
  • Rampage (5/10)
  • Flight 666 (3/10)

I've seen an additional handful of DTV, TV, and Streaming releases:

  • The Cloverfield Paradox (6/10) Netflix movie
  • Extinction (5/10) Netflix movie
  • How It Ends (5/10) Netflix movie
  • Hellraiser: Judgment (4/10) Direct-to-Video movie
  • The Last Sharknado: It's About Time (2/10) TV movie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

This is very premature, seeing as how we're just entering October, but I was wondering if anyone has any 2018 movies that they've seen so far this year that they'd recommend, or are likely to appear on their year-end list?

Skate Kitchen

Isle of Dogs

Sorry to Bother You

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Skate Kitchen

Isle of Dogs

Sorry to Bother You

Thanks! I have Isle of Dogs already in my stack to watch, and I'd heard good things about Sorry to Bother You, but Skate Kitchen was not on my radar at all. I'll hunt it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This is very premature, seeing as how we're just entering October, but I was wondering if anyone has any 2018 movies that they've seen so far this year that they'd recommend, or are likely to appear on their year-end list? I'd like to catch up on some 2018 movies by the end of the year, and I'm looking for recommendations.

The only theatrical releases that I've seen are:

  • Avengers: Infinity War (8/10)
  • Black Panther (8/10)
  • A Quiet Place (8/10)
  • Annihilation (7/10)
  • Rampage (5/10)
  • Flight 666 (3/10)

I've seen an additional handful of DTV, TV, and Streaming releases:

  • The Cloverfield Paradox (6/10) Netflix movie
  • Extinction (5/10) Netflix movie
  • How It Ends (5/10) Netflix movie
  • Hellraiser: Judgment (4/10) Direct-to-Video movie
  • The Last Sharknado: It's About Time (2/10) TV movie

Operation Red Sea

Decision: Liquidation

Dressage

Salyut-7

I saw most of those on streaming sites. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1959

1 Pillow Talk (always have a soft spot for this comedy)

2 The Diary of Anne Frank

3 The Nun's Story

4 Sleeping Beauty

5 Ben-Hur

6 Some Like It Hot

7 Suddenly Last Summer

8 Imitation of Life

9 The 400 Blows

10 The Gazebo

HMs North by Northwest, Room at the Top, Beloved Infidel, A Hole in the Head, The Best of Everything, Never So Few

 

Regarding 2018 films, I've only seen 2 kids films, both very enjoyable, Paddington 2 and Incredibles 2, which both have pleasing qualities for adults as well. I have Book Club and Won't You Be My Neighbor but have not seen them yet. Isle of Dogs, I hope to rent that....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The newest edition of the 1001 Movies book is out in a couple of weeks, and the new additions have been revealed:

  • Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)
  • The Handmaiden (2016)
  • Lady Macbeth (2016)
  • Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
  • Call Me By Your Name (2017)
  • Get Out (2017)
  • Lady Bird (2017)
  • Mother! (2017)
  • The Shape of Water (2017)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
  • Black Panther (2018)

I don't even recall hearing about Lady Macbeth before. I attempted to DVR Dawson City when it was shown on TCM recently but it didn't work. I've seen the rest already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The newest edition of the 1001 Movies book is out in a couple of weeks, and the new additions have been revealed:

  • Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)
  • The Handmaiden (2016)
  • Lady Macbeth (2016)
  • Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
  • Call Me By Your Name (2017)
  • Get Out (2017)
  • Lady Bird (2017)
  • Mother! (2017)
  • The Shape of Water (2017)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
  • Black Panther (2018)

I don't even recall hearing about Lady Macbeth before. I attempted to DVR Dawson City when it was shown on TCM recently but it didn't work. I've seen the rest already.

Most of these titles will probably be dropped next year. I really like that they update it but I wish they didn't always just drop all the recent titles when they update it the next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

1959

Since you mention 1959, I will mention the favorite film of my youth -- still one of my favorite films:

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)

and for 1959 favorite musicals:

Li'l Abner

(Btw, Sadie Hawkins Day is next month.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Most of these titles will probably be dropped next year. I really like that they update it but I wish they didn't always just drop all the recent titles when they update it the next year. 

Yeah, I always just update and print out the latest additions. I keep it in the book edition I have, which is the one with Black Swan on the front. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The newest edition of the 1001 Movies book is out in a couple of weeks, and the new additions have been revealed:

  • Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)
  • The Handmaiden (2016)
  • Lady Macbeth (2016)
  • Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
  • Call Me By Your Name (2017)
  • Get Out (2017)
  • Lady Bird (2017)
  • Mother! (2017)
  • The Shape of Water (2017)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
  • Black Panther (2018)

I don't even recall hearing about Lady Macbeth before. I attempted to DVR Dawson City when it was shown on TCM recently but it didn't work. I've seen the rest already.

Lady MacBeth (2016) is a remake of sorts of the Russian film and story Siberian Lady MacBeth (1962).  Gershwinfan mentioned the film of the opera based on the same story Katerina Izmailova (1967).

Florence Pugh is very good in the lead role of Lady MacBeth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 6:13 PM, LawrenceA said:

I'd like to catch up on some 2018 movies by the end of the year, and I'm looking for recommendations.

the few I've seen that aren't on your list: 

Game Night; The Last Movie Star;  Oceans Eight; Love, Simon

none were awful..I was a little disappointed in Oceans Eight..I'm not a big Burt Reynolds fan, but I did think his performance in 'Last Movie Star' was quite honest; Game Night is mystery/comedy with some good moments (although I thought the plot skipped a little toward the end..maybe it was me..); Love, Simon is teen/coming out dramedy..good performances.  There really aren't a lot of new films I'm that interested in seeing..the only one left on my terrarium list to stream is The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (post war drama/romance..I just haven't been in the mood for it...) Not sure this helps..I have a feeling my taste is more comedy/chick flick/mainstream than yours ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shutoo said:

the few I've seen that aren't on your list: 

Game Night; The Last Movie Star;  Oceans Eight; Love, Simon

none were awful..I was a little disappointed in Oceans Eight..I'm not a big Burt Reynolds fan, but I did think his performance in 'Last Movie Star' was quite honest; Game Night is mystery/comedy with some good moments (although I thought the plot skipped a little toward the end..maybe it was me..); Love, Simon is teen/coming out dramedy..good performances.  There really aren't a lot of new films I'm that interested in seeing..the only one left on my terrarium list to stream is The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (post war drama/romance..I just haven't been in the mood for it...) Not sure this helps..I have a feeling my taste is more comedy/chick flick/mainstream than yours ?

 

I like all sorts, even comedies and the occasional >gasp< Chick Flick, if they're well done, or have some one I like in them.

I'd forgotten about Game Night. That one was recommended to me earlier in the year by a friend. I'll try to check out the other three, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 5:13 PM, LawrenceA said:

This is very premature, seeing as how we're just entering October, but I was wondering if anyone has any 2018 movies that they've seen so far this year that they'd recommend, or are likely to appear on their year-end list? I'd like to catch up on some 2018 movies by the end of the year, and I'm looking for recommendations.

Highly recommended:

Bisbee ‘17
First Man
First Reformed
Minding the Gap
BlacKkKlansman
Isle of Dogs
Leave No Trace
Dangerous on the Way
Paddington 2
Mission: Impossible -Fallout


Also recommended (good, not great):
The Sisters Brothers
Eighth Grade
A Star is Born
Thoroughbreds
Sorry to Bother You
Outpost
Lean on Pete
Game Night
The Death of Stalin
Zama
You Were Never Really Here
Unsane
Monsters and Men
Support the Girls
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun?
Private Life
Foxtrot
Three Identical Strangers

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us