LawrenceA

Top Ten Films of...

2,798 posts in this topic

TopBilled, you've listed several I haven't seen yet.

NOT SO DUMB
PAID
DOUGHBOYS
LADIES OF LEISURE
STREET SCENE
THE MIRACLE WOMAN

I've got a lot to catch up on.

1932 - 70 films seen

1. I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG
2. ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
3. SCARFACE
4. FANNY
5. DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE
6. VAMPYR
7. HORSE FEATHERS
8. TARZAN, THE APE MAN
9. THE MUMMY
10. FREAKS

I know there's some discrepancy about the DR. JEKYLL...release date. I use the January 3rd 1932 date.

My choices ran pretty heavily to genre films this year.

Regarding the release date of Dr. Jekyll.  I'm on the fence with this one.  Often "premieres" are glorified private parties and not public events.  But who is to know?  It was obviously meant to kick off the release of the film as it came out hot on the heels of the premiere.  Unlike some other films where there is a Hollywood premiere/party and then the film comes out a few months later.

Any further thoughts on this?

Interesting that Boris is in the Supporting category. I agree he should have won. That performance has a lot of nuance.

Well, as it is my own fantasy list I like to put people in the category by the size of the role not necessarily by star factor.  Though in this case, Karloff was not yet a star.

Colin Clive has the big part in the original.  Too bad there wasn't a supporting Oscar until 1936.

All too often these days we see the studios fiddling with the Support category to try to nab an Oscar for someone who really had a leading role.  

Well, as it is my own fantasy list I like to put people in the category by the size of the role not necessarily by star factor.  Though in this case, Karloff was not yet a star.
Colin Clive has the big part in the original.  Too bad there wasn't a supporting Oscar until 1936.

All too often these days we see the studios fiddling with the Support category to try to nab an Oscar for someone who really had a lease role.

I agree with your choice! I think a lot of people think Boris when they hear FRANKENSTEIN, but Clive was the lead. There's a long history of leads winning Supporting awards, and some, like Hopkins in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, win the lead when they were only onscreen for 25+/- minutes.

TopBilled, you've listed several I haven't seen yet.

NOT SO DUMB
PAID
DOUGHBOYS
LADIES OF LEISURE
STREET SCENE
THE MIRACLE WOMAN

I've got a lot to catch up on.

NOT SO DUMB is one of Marion Davies' first talkies, and she's a lot of fun in it. LADIES OF LEISURE and THE MIRACLE WOMAN were breakthrough hits for Stanwyck, both directed by Frank Capra.

For 1932 - 55 films seen.

1.  Scarface: The Shame of a Nation

2.  Shanghai Express

3.  Horse Feathers

4.  I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

5.  Grand Hotel

6.  Million Dollar Legs

7.  Rain

8.  If I Had a Million

9. Boudo Saved From Drowning

10. What Price Hollywood?

I have a long runner up list.  Here are a few: Trouble In Paradise, Tarzan, the Ape Man, Island of Lost Souls, The Mummy, The Old Dark House, One Hour With You and Air Mail.

I haven't seen Fanny yet but have a copy.

For 1932 - 55 films seen.

1. Scarface: The Shame of a Nation
2. Shanghai Express
3. Horse Feathers
4. I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
5. Grand Hotel
6. Million Dollar Legs
7. Rain
8. If I Had a Million
9. Boudo Saved From Drowning
10. What Price Hollywood?

I have a long runner up list. Here are a few: Trouble In Paradise, Tarzan, the Ape Man, Island of Lost Souls, The Mummy, The Old Dark House, One Hour With You and Air Mail.

I haven't seen Fanny yet but have a copy.

If I had a runner-up list, SHANGHAI EXPRESS, GRAND HOTEL and BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING would be on it. I haven't seen WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD, but know what it is. I'm unfamiliar with MILLION DOLLAR LEGS and IF I HAD A MILLION. RAIN I've seen, but it didn't do much for me. I liked the performances.

My current choices for performances for 1932 are:

Best Actor

The Marx Brothers, Horse Feathers

Best Actress

Joan Crawford, Grand Hotel

Best Supporting Actor

W.C. Fields, If I Had a Million

Best Supporting Actress

Ann Dvorak, Scarface: The Shame of a Nation

In my 'best of world' I include established comedy teams.

The reason I have a runner-up list, called Honorable Mentions, is because sometimes my opinions on a film change and maybe something that was almost number ten will end up being more appreciated by me later on, and become number ten (or even number nine) if I change my mind about it. And of course, some films drop out of the top ten, when I realise I had a somewhat inflated view of them. :)

1932 Favorites

1932 gave us "Hot Voodoo," Hattie McDaniel knowing when a white man's browsing, "gooble-gobble, one of us," the first talkie featuring the San Francisco earthquake, and one of the most heartbreaking endings, ever; the college widow, "Throw me the life saver!," "Are we not men/the house of pain," "Isn't It Romantic" and one of the greatest scores written for film; Mata Machree, the hottest thing in old Klopstockia, "Woof bloogle gyk,""Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with?," "Don't kill me, I'm a priestess of Isis! Save me from that mummy! It's dead!;" "No beds! They can't have beds!," "Have a potato;" "That's fine stuff, but it'll rot;" and last but not least, one of the early cinema's greatest tracking shots, culminating in the Pawadise cocktail.

Blonde Venus

Freaks

Frisco Jenny

Horse Feathers

Island of Lost Souls

Love Me Tonight

Million Dollar Legs

The Mummy

The Old Dark House

One Way Passage

1932 Favorites

1932 gave us "Hot Voodoo," Hattie McDaniel knowing when a white man's browsing, "gooble-gobble, one of us," the college widow, "Throw me the life saver!," "Are we not men/the house of pain," "Isn't It Romantic" and one of the greatest scores written for film, ever; Mata Machree, the hottest thing in old Klopstockia, "Woof bloogle gyk,""Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with," "Don't kill me, I'm a priestess of Isis! Save me from that mummy! It's dead!;" "No beds! They can't have beds!," "Have a potato;" "That's fine stuff, but it'll rot;" and last but not least, one of the great bar shots in any movie and  the Pawadise cocktail.

Blonde Venus

Freaks

Frisco Jenny

Horse Feathers

Island of Lost Souls

Love Me Tonight

Million Dollar Legs

The Mummy

The Old Dark House

One Way Passage

Great post! BLONDE VENUS was a runner-up for me. ONE WAY PASSAGE and FRISCO JENNY I haven't seen.

Very good, Swithin!  I enjoyed that fun recap.  And the lists by all remain impressive.

1. The Mummy

2. Vampyr

3. Scarface

4. Love Me Tonight

5. The Old Dark House

6. The Most Dangerous Game

7. Flesh

8. Grand Hotel

9. Island of Lost Souls

10. Trouble in Paradise

11. Too Busy to Work

12. One Way Passage

13. Forbidden

14. Number Seventeen

15. Murders in the Rue Morgue

16. Chandu the Magician

17. Fanny

18. The Greeks Had a Word for Them

19. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang

20. Shanghai Express

21. Red-Headed Woman

22. One Hour with You

23. High Pressure

24. No More Orchids

25. Devil and the Deep

26. Tarzan the Ape Man

27. The Beast of the City

28. Union Depot

29. Horse Feathers

30. Broken Lullaby

31. The Purchase Price

32. Kongo

33. Taxi!

34. American Madness

35. The Mask of Fu Manchu

36. Me and My Gal

37. Behind the Mask

38. No Man of Her Own

39. Red Dust

40. Frisco Jenny

41. Merrily We Go to Hell

42. Doctor X

43. Jewel Robbery

44. The Death Kiss

45. White Zombie

46. The Phantom Fiend

47. The Hatchet Man

48. Blonde Venus

49. Lady with a Past

50. Haunted Gold

51. Skyscraper Souls

52. Three on a Match

53. Hot Saturday

54. A Farewell to Arms

55. If I Had a Million

56. Down to Earth

57. A Bill of Divorcement

58. Rain

59. Lawyer Man

60. The Crowd Roars

61. Three Wise Girls

62. The Animal Kingdom

Wow, Frank...you have 13 in that list I haven't seen! I'm glad to see you liked VAMPYR as well. Strange but fascinating movie. BEAST OF THE CITY, KONGO, MASK OF FU MANCHU, WHITE ZOMBIE, ME AND MY GAL and RED DUST are all others that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Blonde Venus

Freaks

Frisco Jenny

Horse Feathers

Island of Lost Souls

Love Me Tonight

Million Dollar Legs

The Mummy

The Old Dark House

One Way Passage

Nice list, Swithin. Who else could bring such intensity to FRISCO JENNY but the great Ruth Chatterton. Love her in anything she does!

Okay, now I need to do my list for 1932... 

1933 - 61 films seen

1. KING KONG
2. THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE
3. DUCK SOUP
4. THE INVISIBLE MAN
5. 42nd STREET
6. FOOTLIGHT PARADE
7. QUEEN CHRISTINA
8. LADY KILLER
9. DINNER AT EIGHT
10. CAVALCADE

I'm going to jump on the runner-up bandwagon and start listing five additional titles for each year. For 1933 they are: GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, THE LITTLE GIANT, DOCTOR BULL, and DESIGN FOR LIVING.

I have a general distaste for musicals. I can appreciate the work that goes into them; the choreography, the costumes, the set designs can all be fantastic. But something about show tunes can be nails on a chalkboard for me. That being said, 1933 is the only year out of all of my lists that has more than one musical in the top ten.

CAVALCADE is an interesting case for me. It was the final Best Picture I watched while going back and seeing all the past winners. And I really hated it. I found it dull, ponderous, overly dramatic in a bad community-theater kind of way, and just a real chore to finish. Well, cut to many years later. I have a collection of all the best picture winners on DVD or blu ray, and once again, CAVALCADE was the last one I got, since it was the last released on disc. I watched it again, and really liked it. I found the performances credible, especially the great Una O'Connor. I appreciated the generational sweep more, and just found the whole endeavor much more satisfying. It just goes to show that rewatching films you dismissed earlier in life may have more resonance later on.

For 1933 - 58 films seen

1.  King Kong

2.  Eskimo

3.  Dinner at Eight

4.  The Private Life of Henry VIII

5.  Duck Soup

6.  Counsellor-at-Law

7.  Queen Christina

8.  I'm No Angel

9.  She Done Him Wrong

10. Lady For a Day

I have a long runner up list.  Here are a few: The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, The Kennel Murder Case, Quatorze Juiliet, Don Quixote (French version) and State Fair.

I haven't seen Lady Killer yet but have a copy courtesy of TCM.  I'm saving it for a Jimmy Cagney marathon.

I'm creeping up to you LawrenceA on the number of films seen!

I was glancing ahead at more modern times and couldn't help but observe that my runners up for each year are usually more interesting than the top 10.  They weren't better films but are generally more eclectic and inclusive of B's and foreign films.

My current choices for performances for 1933 are:

Best Actor

Charles Laughton, The Private Life of Henry VIII

Best Actress

Greta Garbo, Queen Christina

Best Supporting Actor

John Barrymore, Dinner at Eight

Best Supporting Actress

Marie Dressler, Dinner at Eight

For 1933 - 58 films seen

1.  King Kong
2.  Eskimo
3.  Dinner at Eight
4.  The Private Life of Henry VIII
5.  Duck Soup
6.  Counsellor-at-Law
7.  Queen Christina
8.  I'm No Angel
9.  She Done Him Wrong
10. Lady For a Day

I have a long runner up list.  Here are a few: The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, The Kennel Murder Case, Quatorze Juiliet, Don Quixote (French version) and State Fair.

I haven't seen Lady Killer yet but have a copy courtesy of TCM.  I'm saving it for a Jimmy Cagney marathon.

I'm creeping up to you LawrenceA on the number of films seen!

ESKIMO, COUNSELLOR-AT-LAW, QUATORZE JUILIET, French DON QUIXOTE I don't know. I'M NO ANGEL I have but haven't watched. Many more to add to my "to-see" list!

I was glancing ahead at more modern times and couldn't help but observe that my runners up for each year are usually more interesting than the top 10.  They weren't better films but are generally more eclectic and inclusive of B's and foreign films.

I have a lot of foreign titles on my lists, especially in the 60's. And from the mid-70's through the 80's I have a lot of genre films (SF/horror/fantasy/action), with very few American made dramas.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-14%2Bat%2B3.42.5

My list:

1. A FAREWELL TO ARMS
2. GRAND HOTEL
3. TROUBLE IN PARADISE
4. RED DUST
5. SCARFACE
6. I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG
7. MOVIE CRAZY
8. LOVE ME TONIGHT
9. WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD?
10. EMMA

Honorable Mentions: IF I HAD A MILLION; JEWEL ROBBERY; SMILIN' THROUGH; AMERICAN MADNESS; and BLONDE VENUS. 

I think the best performers of 1932 were Helen Hayes; Paul Muni; Harold Lloyd; Constance Bennett; and Marie Dressler.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-14%2Bat%2B3.49.5

My list:

1. 42ND STREET
2. STATE FAIR 
3. LITTLE WOMEN
4. THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII
5. SHE DONE HIM WRONG
6. BOMBSHELL
7. PILGRIMAGE
8. THE INVISIBLE MAN
9. THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE
10. QUEEN CHRISTINA

Honorable Mentions: THE MAYOR OF HELL; MORNING GLORY; PEG O' MY HEART; WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD; KING KONG and LADY FOR A DAY. 

I think the best performers of 1933 were Henrietta Crosman; Charles Laughton; Katharine Hepburn; Lee Tracy; and Jean Harlow.

TopBilled names a few more I don't know...MOVIE CRAZY and JEWEL ROBBERY from '32, and PILGRIMAGE, THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE and WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD from '33.

THE MAYOR OF HELL was nearly on my runner-up list. Cagney's one of my favorite stars of the era.

TopBilled names a few more I don't know...MOVIE CRAZY and JEWEL ROBBERY from '32, and PILGRIMAGE, THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE and WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD from '33.

THE MAYOR OF HELL was nearly on my runner-up list. Cagney's one of my favorite stars of the era.

THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE had its cable-TV premiere on TCM a few years ago. It had been tied up in rights issues for decades which finally were resolved. Miriam Hopkins gives a tour-de-force performance as the title character. 

PILGRIMAGE is a particular favorite of mine. It's directed by John Ford, and actress Henrietta Crosman gives a devastating performance as a rural mother who travels to the WWI battlefields of Europe to find the spot where her son was killed. 

MOVIE CRAZY is more comedic nonsense from Harold Lloyd...and JEWEL ROBBERY is a deliciously played precode with Bill Powell and Kay Francis.