LawrenceA

Top Ten Films of...

2,811 posts in this topic

Wow, Frank...you have 13 in that list I haven't seen!

And I haven't seen as many as you have.  It's been a long process, but my "seen 30s" has finally reached a respectable level.

I'm glad to see you liked VAMPYR as well.  Strange but fascinating movie.

Agreed.  I enjoy the atmosphere with that one.  I'll soon be revisiting it.  It's been a while.

BEAST OF THE CITY, KONGO, MASK OF FU MANCHU, WHITE ZOMBIE, ME AND MY GAL and RED DUST are all others that I enjoyed quite a bit.

All are noteworthy.  And some of those are great oddities.

1. The Invisible Man

2. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

3. King Kong

4. Baby Face

5. Pilgrimage

6. Duck Soup

7. The Kennel Murder Case

8. Mystery of the Wax Museum

9. Counsellor at Law

10. Bombshell

11. The Life of Jimmy Dolan

12. Lady for a Day

13. The Mayor of Hell

14. Man's Castle

15. Midnight Mary

16. Today We Live

17. One Sunday Afternoon

18. The Story of Temple Drake

19. Footlight Parade

20. The Prizefighter and the Lady

21. Luxury Liner

22. The Ghoul

23. The Little Giant

24. Private Detective 62

25. The Vampire Bat

26. Heroes for Sale

27. Picture Snatcher

28. Topaze

29. Design for Living

30. State Fair

31. Wild Boys of the Road

32. The Bitter Tea of General Yen

33. Hold Your Man

34. Lady Killer

35. Ex-Lady

36. Riders of Destiny

37. The Man from Monterey

38. Dinner at Eight

39. Doctor Bull

40. The Kiss Before the Mirror

41. Murders in the Zoo

42. Ann Vickers

43. Employees' Entrance

44. The Secret of Madame Blanche

45. Double Harness

46. Sucker Money

47. Torch Singer

48. Mr. Skitch

49. Flying Down to Rio

50. Female

51. Gold Diggers of 1933

52. Three-Cornered Moon

53. I'm No Angel

54. Little Women

55. Sagebrush Trail

56. His Private Secretary

57. Dancing Lady

58. Our Betters

59. Cavalcade

60. Another Language

61. She Done Him Wrong

62. Night Flight

63. Alice in Wonderland

• Like 1

Frank, this time, besides the titles others have mentioned, you have 14 I haven't seen. BABY FACE nearly made my runner-up list. Are these all the 1933 movies you've seen, in order of how you liked them? If so, ALICE IN WONDERLAND at the very bottom made me laugh. I just watched that for the first time this year, and my jaw hung open during most of it. What a bizarre, misguided effort.

Yes, all my lists are in order of how I like every film for that particular year. I actually have a master list for every decade, ranked in order. I constantly update those lists.

"Alice in Wonderland" was a major curiosity for me. You are right, it's quite bizarre. For that reason alone, I'd recommend watching it to someone. I did like seeing the Paramount stars of the day. Coop and Cary have memorable appearances. Especially Cary. W.C. Fields is another. Who knows, if I were to revisit it, I'd probably enjoy it more.

Your original viewing of "Cavalcade" was precisely my reaction to it. I just watched it for the first time a few months ago. A tough watch for me.

Frank, this time, besides the titles others have mentioned, you have 14 I haven't seen. BABY FACE nearly made my runner-up list. Are these all the 1933 movies you've seen, in order of how you liked them? If so, ALICE IN WONDERLAND at the very bottom made me laugh. I just watched that for the first time this year, and my jaw hung open during most of it. What a bizarre, misguided effort.

You should check out the following thread on the Favorites Forum...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

This thread started by the late great Kyle Kersten really has been a wealth of knowledge. Frank brings a tremendous amount of expertise when viewing films. After viewing at times up to 30 films he will then post his thoughts on each and every one of them. The thread has existed for many years and continues to grow, often with the same group of dedicated and loyal participants.

• Like 2

CAVALCADE is an interesting case for me. It was the final Best Picture I watched while going back and seeing all the past winners. And I really hated it. I found it dull, ponderous, overly dramatic in a bad community-theater kind of way, and just a real chore to finish. Well, cut to many years later. I have a collection of all the best picture winners on DVD or blu ray, and once again, CAVALCADE was the last one I got, since it was the last released on disc. I watched it again, and really liked it. I found the performances credible, especially the great Una O'Connor. I appreciated the generational sweep more, and just found the whole endeavor much more satisfying. It just goes to show that rewatching films you dismissed earlier in life may have more resonance later on.

That's an interesting comment. I think in some cases, we're simply not ready for a film. Either its subject matter or themes are too mature for us, or we're not coming to the viewing in the right sort of mind with a receptivity for what the filmmakers are trying to convey.

I noticed you mentioned FOOTLIGHT PARADE, and I wanted to include it as an honorable mention on my list. But I just couldn't. I feel 42ND STREET is the best picture of its type.

1934 - 60 films seen

1. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

2. THE THIN MAN

3. IT'S A GIFT

4. THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

5. THE SCARLET EMPRESS

6. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA

7. THE BLACK CAT

8. THE GAY DIVORCEE

9. TWENTIETH CENTURY

10. JUDGE PRIEST

Runner-ups: L'ATALANTE, A STORY OF FLOATING WEEDS, VIVA VILLA!, CLEOPATRA, and IMITATION OF LIFE.

Not much to say about this year's picks. Claudette Colbert I guess was my star of the year, with three films. Also rare for me to have only a single genre film pick with THE BLACK CAT.

• Like 3

CAVALCADE is an interesting case for me. It was the final Best Picture I watched while going back and seeing all the past winners. And I really hated it. 

The thing about Cavalcade -- it was immensely important on stage, at the Drury Lane, a great success for Noel Coward with a huge cast and crew (almost 400) and massive, technically impressive sets. The film hasn't really aged well, though it has its moments, but it is really the grandaddy of -- and inspiration for -- Upstairs Downstairs and Downton Abbey. And it contains one of my favorite Noel Coward songs -- "Twentieth Century Blues," sung so well by Ursula Jeans (her rendition available on YouTube).

(Btw, so many of my 1933 favorites have been covered, but I'll have a few comments about 1934 later today).

• Like 2

1934 - 60 films seen

1. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

2. THE THIN MAN

3. IT'S A GIFT

4. THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

5. THE SCARLET EMPRESS

6. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA

7. THE BLACK CAT

8. THE GAY DIVORCEE

9. TWENTIETH CENTURY

10. JUDGE PRIEST

Runner-ups: L'ATALANTE, A STORY OF FLOATING WEEDS, VIVA VILLA!, CLEOPATRA, and IMITATION OF LIFE.

Not much to say about this year's picks. Claudette Colbert I guess was my star of the year, with three films. Also rare for me to have only a single genre film pick with THE BLACK CAT.

Having bought "L'Atalante" and "A Story of Floating Weeds" and thoroughly enjoyed them, I can concur with your choices, Laurence!

• Like 2

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-15%2Bat%2B11.21.

My list:

1. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (on my top 20 of all time)
2. THE THIN MAN
3. IMITATION OF LIFE
4. IT'S A GIFT
5. THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD
6. THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET
7. TREASURE ISLAND
8. THE RISE OF CATHERINE THE GREAT
9. CLEOPATRA
10. SADIE MCKEE and LITTLE MISS MARKER (tie)

Honorable Mentions: L'ATALANTE; OUR DAILY BREAD; OF HUMAN BONDAGE; THE GAY DIVORCEE; NO GREATER GLORY; and ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. 

I think the best performers of 1934 were Claudette Colbert; Elisabeth Bergner; George Arliss; Helen Westley; and Anne Shirley.

• Like 1

TopBilled, I managed to see all of yours this time! IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT is one of my faves of the decade.

Lawrence,

I composed my list then looked at yours...and I realized we had a lot of the same ones in the top ten for 1934 (which is a good thing!). 

I really love THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD. I almost feel the fifth position might be too low for it. I will need to watch it again when I have the chance and thoroughly re-evaluate it.

And personally, I think Elisabeth Bergner gave the best performance of the year for her version of Catherine the Great. She blew me away at the end of that film. Letter perfect.

I am going to post my picks for 1935 soon, which I think after '39, is the strongest year of the decade.

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-15%2Bat%2B12.28.

My list:

1. LES MISERABLES
2. DAVID COPPERFIELD
3. A TALE OF TWO CITIES
4. ROBERTA
5. MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY
6. ALICE ADAMS
7. RUGGLES OF RED GAP
8. MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION
9. THE 39 STEPS
10. TOP HAT and THE LITTLEST REBEL (tie)

Honorable Mentions: ANNIE OAKLEY; AH, WILDERNESS!; BARBARY COAST; THE WEDDING NIGHT; HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE; MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE; THE DARK ANGEL; and PETER IBBETSON. 

I think the best performers of 1935 were: Charles Laughton; Irene Dunne; Fredric March; W.C. Fields; and Fred MacMurray.

• Like 1

For 1934 - 47 films seen

1.  Twentieth Century

2.  It Happened One Night

3.  The Scarlet Empress

4.  The Thin Man

5.  Tarzan and His Mate

6.  The Affairs of Cellini

7.  The Gay Divorcee

8.  La Signora Di Tutti

9.  Treasure Island

10. The Man Who Knew Too Much

Here are several from my runner up list: The Private Life of Don Juan, L'Atalante and Anne of Green Gables.

I haven't seen A Story of Floating Weeds yet but note that TCM is airing it on Sunday, Jan 10/11.

• Like 1

My current choices for performances for 1934 are:

Best Actor

John Barrymore, Twentieth Century

Best Actress

Claudette Colbert, It Happened One Night

Best Supporting Actor

Erik Rhodes, The Gay Divorcee

Best Supporting Actress

Fay Wray, The Affairs of Cellini

For 1934 - 47 films seen

1.  Twentieth Century

2.  It Happened One Night

3.  The Scarlet Empress

4.  The Thin Man

5.  Tarzan and His Mate

6.  The Affairs of Cellini

7.  The Gay Divorcee

8.  La Signora Di Tutti

9.  Treasure Island

10. The Man Who Knew Too Much

Here are several from my runner up list.  Here are a few: The Private Life of Don Juan, L'Atlante and Anne of Green Gables.

I haven't seen The Story of Floating Weeds yet but note that TCM is airing it on Sunday, Jan 10/11.

I don't know LA SIGNORA DI TUTTI. I'm surprised by the Tarzan movie being so high on your list. I like all the Weismuller Tarzans that I've seen, but they're usually not on typical best-of lists.

Are you a particular John Barrymore fan, or did he just have a good year in your opinion?

1934: 3 Favorites

I would like to comment on three important movies of 1934. I should mention that I am a person of the Jewish persuasion, albeit secular, which may account for my particular interest in certain aspects of these films, though on the whole they are fine films and can be appreciated by all.

In 1934, German President Hindenberg died. Hitler, who had become Chancellor the previous year, combined the chancellorship and presidency under the new title of Fuhrer.  Nazism was on the rise.

The three 1934 movies I want to discuss are Jew Suss, The House of Rothschild, and Music in the Air. By Jew Suss, I am referring NOT to the 1940 Nazi propaganda film, but to the 1934 British film based on the novel Jew Suss, by the German Jew Lion Feuchtwanger. The film, which starred Conrad Veidt, was an attempt to expose Nazi anti-Semitism. In the famous final scene, the eponymous character is viciously and publicly executed, because he refuses to convert to Christianity. As he goes to his terrible death, he recites the most sacred Hebrew prayer; and the Jews who are there to witness the execution join him in the prayer, as the German army surrounds them. The movie, directed by Lothar Mendes, is on YouTube, but don't confuse it with the 1940 Nazi film of the same name. (The British film's alternative titles are The Eternal Jew, and Power). In addition to Veidt, the cast also includes Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Dennis Hoey, Francis L. Sullivan, and other familiar actors.

The House of Rothschild is a great big Hollywood historical biopic about the rise of the Rothschild family. It opens in the ghetto in Frankfurt, with old Mayer Rothschild (George Arliss) and his wife (the great Helen Westley) running their business and raising their sons, in the midst of German anti-Semitism. The sons (the main one, Nathan, also played by George Arliss) build the banking dynasty amid the Napoleonic wars. The film depicts the courage, intellect, and power of the Jewish family, as they are beset by the forces of anti-Semitism on one side and concerns about assimilation on the other. The final scene, when Nathan Rothschild is presented at court, is one of the of first uses of the three-strip technicolor process. A scene from the film was used (out of context, and without permission from the rights holders) as part of a Nazi propaganda film. The major villain of the film, played to perfection by Boris Karloff, exhibits the 19th century German anti-Semitism  that would lead to the more terrible anti-Semitism of the next century.

On a lighter note, Music in the Air is a delight. A film adaptation (Billy Wilder was one of the screenwriters) of a 1932 Kern/Hammerstein musical, it features a great cast, including a singing Gloria Swanson, a very pretty Douglass Montgomery running around the Alps in lederhosen, with much of the rest of the cast, and the charming old Al Shean, uncle to the Marx Brothers, as a song writer. It has a great score, including two standards: "I've Told Every Little Star," and "The Song Is You." The odd thing about this charming film is that it was released in 1934, yet the opening words on the screen are "In the Bavarian Mountains."  Early in the film, Douglass Montgomery, who is a teacher, punishes one of his young students for squealing:  "That'll teach you to tell on a comrade. You mustn't carry tales..."  Well, I guess those kids didn't learn their lesson, but it's a charming film. Just seems odd, in hindsight, that all that prancing and singing in Bavaria was presented to audiences in 1934, the year that Hitler became Fuhrer. The film was directed by Joe May, one of the founders of German cinema, who left Germany in 1933. He had given Fritz Lang his first break many years earlier.

These three films are on YouTube and are well worth a viewing. At least have a look at the ending of the 1934 Jew Suss, it's amazing.
  • Like 3

I don't know LA SIGNORA DI TUTTI. I'm surprised by the Tarzan movie being so high on your list. I like all the Weismuller Tarzans that I've seen, but they're usually not on typical best-of lists.

Are you a particular John Barrymore fan, or did he just have a good year in your opinion?

Yes, I like John Barrymore quite a bit but really this was just a case of admiring his brilliance in the screwball comedy genre.  His performance was surprising at every turn which is one of the reasons I liked it so much and thought it the best of this year.

Just to add another thought, IMHO 1934 and the previous years in the 30's were not exceptional years for movies all-round.   There are a few really good films each year then it really drops off.  Anne of Green Gables makes my runner up list for 1934 but wouldn't even come close to a mention in later years when films were generally better.

• Like 1

Swithin, that was an amazing post. I've seen HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD and enjoyed it, despite the occasional camp hamminess of Arliss. It was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars that year.

I've heard of JEW SUSS, but need to see it. It sounds fascinating, and I'm a fan of Veidt.

I've never heard of the third, but it sounds interesting, like setting a scenic musical in Kandahar of the year 2000.

Hopefully I am not going too far off topic here, but this is something I had posted on the other forum: http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/a-couple-of-ol-movie-lists-of-interest-film-dailys-top-tens-1922-1935

These lists are from top critics and theater owners casting their votes to FILM DAILY and are a good representative of what the "tastes" were back then (in contrast to our tastes TODAY). The numbers listed on the left are the number of votes cast.

As we all know, the first Best Picture winners for the 1927-28 season (they went by “seasons” running from August to August until the 1934 ceremony fixed it to a calendar year) were Wings (as best overall production) and Sunrise (as “artistic” choice). However, what if there were Oscar ceremonies held in earlier years? What would win? Obviously OUR favorites today may not be the same as the Academy’s and general public’s back then. So… for fun... coming from my dusty Film Daily Year Book of 1936... a poll among the critics, with the number of votes for each title indicating which years had close races and which were landslide number one choices. (Initially the critics wrote in their favorites until too many were including films like The Big Parade, which were still-in-release-but-released-last-year choices. Then, in 1928, it was fixed to this-year-only choices.)

1922:

31 - Orphans of the Storm (United Artists)

29 - Grandma’s Boy (Pathé)

28 - Blood and Sand (Paramount)

25 - Prisoner of Zenda (Metro)

22 - When Knighthood Was in Flower (Paramount)

21 - Nanook of the North (Pathé)

20 - Smilin’ Through (First National)

19 - Tol’able David (First National)

17 - Robin Hood (United Artists)

13 - Oliver Twist (First National)

1923:

53 - Covered Wagon (Paramount)

26 - Merry-Go-Round (Universal)

25 - Hunchback of Notre Dame (Universal) & Robin Hood (repeat from ’22 list)

22 - Green Goddess (Goldwyn)

20 - Scaramouche (Metro)

18 - Safety Last (Pathé) & Rosita (United Artists)

17 - Down to the Sea in Ships (Hodkinson) & Little Old New York (Cosmopolitan/Goldwyn)

1924:

52 - Thief of Bagdad (United Artists)

51 - Sea Hawk (First National)

36 - Monsieur Beaucaire (Paramount)

35 - Beau Brummel (Warner Bros.)

33 - Secrets (First National)

32 - Marriage Circle (Warner Bros.)

30 - Abraham Lincoln (First National), Girl Shy (Pathé) & Ten Commandments (Paramount)

23 - America (United Artists)

1925:

63 - Gold Rush (United Artists)

60 - Unholy Three (MGM)

57 - Don Q, Son of Zorro (United Artists) & Merry Widow (Metro-Goldwyn)

55 - Last Laugh (UFA/Universal)

52 - The Freshman (Unite Artists)

38 - Phantom of the Opera (Universal)

36 - Lost World (First National)

30 - Big Parade (MGM)

29 - Kiss Me Again (Warner Bros.)

1926:

169 - Variety (UFA/Paramount)

114 - Ben Hur (MGM)

108 - Black Pirate (United Artists) & Big Parade (repeated from ’25)

100 - Beau Geste (Paramount)

95 - Stella Dallas (Goldwyn/United Artists)

94 - Volga Boatman (PDC)

66 - What Price Glory (Fox)

62 - Sea Beast (Warner Bros.)

49 - La Boheme (MGM)

1927:

235 - Beau Geste (repeated from ’26)

205 - Big Parade (repeated from ’25 & ’26)

179 - What Price Glory? (repeated from ’26)

167 - Way of All Flesh (Paramount)

164 - Ben Hur (repeated from ’26)

162 - Seventh Heaven (Fox)

146 - Chang (Paramount)

97 - Underworld (Paramount)

91 - Resurrection (United Artists)

77 – Flesh and the Devil (MGM)

1928:

210 - The Patriot (Paramount)

180 - Sorrell and Son (United Artists)

135 - Last Command (Paramount)

125 - Four Sons (Fox)

124 - Street Angel (Fox)

122 - The Circus (United Artists)

119 - Sunrise (Fox)

105 - The Crowd (MGM)

99 - King of Kings (Pathé)

95 - Sadie Thompson (United Artists)

1929:

192 - Disraeli (Warner Bros.)

161 - Broadway Melody (MGM) & Madame X (MGM)

158 - Rio Rita (RKO)

139 - Gold Diggers of Broadway (Warner Bros.)

125 - Bulldog Drummond (Goldwyn/United Artists)

121 - In Old Arizona (Fox)

113 - ****-eyed World (Fox)

110 - Last of Mrs. Cheyney (MGM)

101 - Hallelujah! (MGM)

1930:

271 - All Quiet on the Western Front (Universal)

167 - Abraham Lincoln (United Artists)

166 - Holiday (Pathé)

151 - Journey’s End (Tiffany)

141 - Anna Christie (MGM) & The Big House (MGM)

121 - With Byrd at the South Pole (Paramount)

94 - The Divorcee (MGM)

91 - Hell’s Angels (United Artists)

87 - Old English (Warner Bros.)

1931:

273 - Cimarron (RKO)

200 - Street Scene (Goldwyn/United Artists)

178 - Skippy (Paramount)

172 - Bad Girl (Fox)

164 - Min and Bill (MGM)

162 - Front Page (United Artists)

138 - Five Star Final (Warner Bros.)

128 - City Lights (United Artists)

114 - A Free Soul (MGM)

99 - Sin of Madelon Claudot (MGM)

1932:

296 - Grand Hotel (MGM)

214 - The Champ (MGM)

192 - Arrowsmith (Goldwyn/United Artists)

170 - The Guardsman (MGM)

168 - Smilin’ Through (MGM)

161 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Paramount)

154 - Emma (MGM)

141 - Bill of Divorcement (RKO)

136 - Back Street (Universal)

135 - Scarface (United Artists)

1933:

304 - Cavalcade (Fox)

209 - 42nd Street (Warner Bros.)

187 - Private Life of Henry VIII (London/United Artists)

173 - Lady for a Day (Columbia)

169 - State Fair (Fox)

167 - A Farewell to Arms (Paramount)

158 - She Done Him Wrong (Paramount)

156 - I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang (Warner Bros.)

137 - Maedchen in Uniform (Deutsche Film)

128 - Rasputin and the Empress (MGM)

1934:

348 - The Barrets of Wimpole Street (MGM)

338 - The House of Rothschild (20th Century/United Artists)

281 - It Happened One Night (Columbia)

265 - One Night of Love (Columbia)

254 - Little Women (RKO)

249 - The Thin Man (MGM)

188 - Viva, Villa! (MGM)

172 - Dinner at Eight (MGM)

145 - The Count of Monte Cristo (United Artists)

119 - Berkeley Square (Fox)

1935:

339 - David Copperfield (MGM)

278 - The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (Paramount)

256 - The Informer (RKO)

250 - Naughty Marietta (MGM)

235 - Les Miserables (20th Century/UnitedArtists)

222 - Ruggles of Red Cap (Paramount)

174 - Top Hat (RKO)

166 - Broadway Melody of 1936 (MGM)

135 - Roberta (RKO)

129 - Anna Karenina (MGM)

• Like 2

1. The Thin Man

2. It Happened One Night

3. L'Atalante

4. The Mystery of Mr. X

5. The Man Who Knew Too Much

6. Spitfire

7. Liliom

8. The Lost Patrol

9. Twentieth Century

10. Charlie Chan in London

11. The Black Cat

12. Hide-Out

13. Judge Priest

14. Heat Lightning

15. Cleopatra

16. Forsaking All Others

17. Fog Over Frisco

18. Whirlpool

19. The Key

20. The Girl from Missouri

21. Lady by Choice

22. Dark Hazard

23. Gambling Lady

24. The Scarlet Pimpernel

25. The Barretts of Wimpole Street

26. Dames

27. Manhattan Melodrama

28. The Merry Widow

29. Kiss and Make-Up

30. Blue Steel

31. Waltzes from Vienna

32. The Secret Bride

33. The Gay Bride

34. David Harum

35. The World Moves On

36. Thirty Day Princess

37. Operator 13

38. Imitation of Life

39. The Gay Divorcee

40. The Lawless Frontier

41. The Lucky Texan

42. We're Not Dressing

43. Born to Be Bad

44. The Star Packer

45. Randy Rides Alone

46. 'Neath the Arizona Skies

47. West of the Divide

48. The Man from Utah

49. Murder at the Vanities

50. Evelyn Prentice

51. The Mysterious Mr. Wong

52. Riptide

53. The Trail Beyond

54. Search for Beauty

55. Woman in the Shadows

56. The Richest Girl in the World

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-16%2Bat%2B9.04.1

My list:

1. SAN FRANCISCO
2. LIBELED LADY
3. MY MAN GODFREY
4. DODSWORTH
5. THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR
6. THE GREAT ZIEGFELD
7. CAMILLE
8. MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN
9. REMBRANDT
10. SHOW BOAT

Honorable Mentions: THEODORA GOES WILD; THE TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE; CRAIG'S WIFE; COME AND GET IT; MODERN TIMES; and THE PRESIDENT'S MYSTERY

I think the best performers of 1936 were: Irene Dunne; William Powell; Luise Rainer; Walter Huston; and Greta Garbo.

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-16%2Bat%2B9.04.5

My list:

1. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
2. TOPPER
3. STAGE DOOR
4. DEAD END
5. THE AWFUL TRUTH
6. THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER
7. CONQUEST
8. HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT
9. THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA
10. MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and THE HURRICANE (tie)

Honorable Mentions: ELEPHANT BOY; THE LAST GANGSTER; SARATOGA; EVER SINCE EVE; THEY WON'T FORGET; and WELLS FARGO. 

I think the best performers of 1937 were: Cary Grant; Charles Boyer; Jean Harlow; Claude Rains; Paul Muni; and Sylvia Sidney.

• Like 1

TopBilled, slow down! I'm trying to keep it to a year a day, so it doesn't get too congested. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm just up to 1935 today.

Top, you've only got a few I don't know for these two years...CRAIG'S WIFE, THE PRESIDENT'S MYSTERY and HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT, ELEPHANT BOY, EVER SINCE EVE.