Sign in to follow this  
icknay

favorite pre-code film

76 posts in this topic

Jewel Robbery with Kay Francis and William Powell is a very subversive little film. My wife told me that Kay's clothes must have been pinned to her; that they wouldn't have stayed on otherwise! Not available anywhere I know of except TCM from time to time.

Difficult to choose only one, but I'd say "Love Me Tonight" with Chevalier and MacDonald.

Message was edited by:

feaito

Actually, China Seas is not a pre-code film. Pre-codes are films made

prior to the Hays code in 1934. China Seas was made in 1935.

Dang! I got caught in a parallel universe!

Anyway, both of them do play on TCM from time to time.

Three on a Match (1932) Ann Dvorak performance is amazing. with Warren William (a Fav) and Joan Blondell and a very young Humphrey Bogart. Directed by Mervyn LeRoy

vallo

Safe In Hell

The Reckless Hour

Scarlet Pages

Other Men's Women

Five Star Final

Night Nurse

Big City Blues

Three on a Match

Anything with Dorothy MacKaill, Joan Blondell, and Kay Francis in the pre-code era is good.

Why doesn't TCM have a Joan Blondell marathon? Or at least films with "acid tongued dames" such as Joan, Glenda Farrell, Eve Arden, Thelma Riter ,and Ann Sheridan!!

August 30 is Joan Blondell's birthday. Gee, I wish they'd devoted that day to her. I love Sidney Poitier; but couldn't they have given the 27th to him?

To Ken123 and Jack Burley:

Isn't she a doll!! She's the definition of a girl being 'cute' and 'sexy' at the same time. Her smile was brilliant, and she could wisecrack with the very best of them. I'd have like to see her and Bette Davis in some kind of 'friends who hate each other' pic.

I wish Joan Blondell and Ann Sheridan got a special day too.

Ann Sothern got a special day this month which I'm grateful for.

It would have been a great movie to see Blondell, Sheridan, and Sothern in a gold-digging, catty, wisecracking film.

For me, the hands down winner for most impressive Pre-Code film is KONGO. It has it all: Sex, violence, drugs, voodoo, cruelty, etc. The first time I saw it I was literally stunned.

Of course, SAFE IN HELL has a beasitality joke...

And BABY FACE is pretty remarkable too...Dad's a pimp! And are those lesbian undertones between Barbara Stanwyck and (the incredibly lovely) Theresa Harris?

And anything with Warren William being sleazy or Joan Blondell being teasy is also darn good viewing.

> For me, the hands down winner for most impressive

> Pre-Code film is KONGO. It has it all: Sex, violence,

> drugs, voodoo, cruelty, etc. The first time I saw it

> I was literally stunned.

>

> Of course, SAFE IN HELL has a beasitality joke...

>

> And BABY FACE is pretty remarkable too...Dad's a

> pimp! And are those lesbian undertones between

> Barbara Stanwyck and (the incredibly lovely) Theresa

> Harris?

>

> And anything with Warren William being sleazy or Joan

> Blondell being teasy is also darn good viewing.

Lesbian undertones and interracial too ! Now i will have to see "Babyface". Isn't Jon Wayne, in a small role also in that film.

KONGO--this is a dark, disgusting wonderful example of a pre-Code! I was really surprised by the story line, and I can't imagine what movie goers of the early 30's must have thought.

Others along this "dark" genre of pre-Code include ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, WHITE ZOMBIE, FREAKS. I was surprised to see ISLAND shown on TCM this week. Way go to TCM!

they are playing 2 minor movies with Joan Blondell the morning after her bday on Aug 31, 'Illicit' and 'Night Nurse'. i like Night Nurse, a good early barbara stanwyck vehicle with some definite pre-code moments (gratuitous clothes-changing scene). but yeah, although TCM has been good at regularly showing rarities of joan's, especially in recent months (the cagney marathon had atleast 3 early films with her), they are long overdue for a real joan blondell marathon. some of my favorite JB movies haven't aired on TCM in years, most notably 'Kansas City Princess', which i think is the best of the many joan blondell - glenda farrell golddigger movies.