Sign in to follow this  
lzcutter

Don Knotts has died

24 posts in this topic

Just heard a report that loveable Mr. Limpett aka Deputy Fife aka Don Knotts has passed away.

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 25) - Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died. He was 81.

I also just read the news, Lynn. We lost a funny man.

We were lucky to have him. TCM should do, "Star of The Month" on Don Knotts.

He did alot more than," The Andy Griffith Show." He will be truly missed.

God I hope TCM doesn't waste valuable airtime on Don Knotts. He was more of a sit com actor, not a classic movie actor. The only movie he was in that was any good was No Time For Sergeants.

Hello Everyone,

I can remember back to the old "Tonight Show" with Steve Allen in the 50's when Don Knotts played the fidgety, nervous and high stung 'Man on the Street' along with Tom Poston and Louis Nye. That's where he perfected that bumbling, inept attitude that made him a star.

He won several Emmys on "The Andy Griffith Show" for barney Fife and played the swinging landlord on "Three's Company" and was on "Matlock" too.

He did do several movies but none were classics really.

R.I.P. Don.

Larry

Sweetbabykmd, I could not disagree with you more. Wasting valuable TCM time? The man is dead and holds a special place in many people's hearts. I will miss him a lot. I remember seeing his movies in the early Sixties when I was a kid. To this day, I think "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" is hysterically funny. He gives one of the greatest comic performances of all time. If you don't believe it, check out the speech scene in the park when his pages fly away in the wind. I laugh all the way through that film because of Knotts. I know we tend to think in movie terms of the later and generally unfunny Disney movies he made, but Ghost and Mr. C muct be checked out.

And, of course, there is Barney Fife. Isn't that character, with all his faults, nervousness, and heart, still etched in your memory, even if you haven't seen The Andy Griggith SHow in years?

I was lucky. I got to meet him a few years ago at a Hollywood Collectors Show. I am so glad I got to do that. And I deeply regret that I will never be able to again.

Don Knotts will be missed. "Attaboy, Luther."

A tribute to Don Knotts would not be appropriate for TCM, it would be however on Nick at Night. This is a classic movie station, or at least it used to be.

Some of Don Knotts movie roles:

The Last Time I Saw Archie

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Move Over, Darling

The Incredible Mr. Limpet

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

The Reluctant Astronaut

I'm not advocating for a TCM tribute, but let's at least give the man his due. Whether you like the movies or not, he did create some memorable characters on film and on television and in his passing, we should pause a moment and acknowledge that.

You forgot No Time For Sergeants 1968. People have been suggesting this movie for months . Leonard Maltin gives it 3.5 stars.

There have been actors that have died that weren't my favorites, but TCM aired a tribute, and was appropriate, because they did contribute to the movies of the eras they show on TCM.

Even though Don Knotts movies were not the calibur of Casablanca, there are still many of his films that were very funny and show the talent that he had both as a comedian and an actor. I would love to see a tribute to Don Knotts. My suggestion is, if you don't like him or his movies, just don't watch that day :)

The Hollywood Walk of Fame, includes everybody. Not just the movie stars. Each star on that sidewalk, represent different talents. Does it truly matter, who does a tribute? Just that he, seems to deserve one.

Stars are just that, Stars. Movie or TV, we should show, respect for both.

Thanks, Sallie

You seem to understand what I was trying to say.

I'd love to see a Don Knotts tribute. Those movies he did were great in their own right. If Shelly Winters gets a tribute that bumps Robert Montgomery's movies, then they can at least set up a Don Knotts tribute to bump the crapola they've been showing this month.

The trouble is they wouldn't bump crapola, it would be something good like the Saturday night Noir they are starting in March or something. I'd rather let the other networks give him a tribute.

If they can devote a month of Thursdays to a Japanese animator whose films are too new to even qualify as "classic," they can devote one night to a beloved film comic.

"No Time For Sergeants"

"The Incredible Mr. Limpet"

"The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"

Yeah, they'd have to rent these films. If they can afford the anime, they can afford a tribute to Don Knotts.

null

Goodbye Don.

He also did Pleasantville and the Apple Dumpling gang.

Someone made the statement that Don Knotts movies are not appropriate fare for TCM. Well, I'll just nip that in the bud.

Very few performers made as many friends in the audience as Don, and a better recommendation for a tribute I cannot think of. He will be truly missed.

I would love to see No Time For Sargents. Great movie and I would also love to see the one where Don plays a dentest and he is a big coward. Saw it as a kid

and cannot remember the Title. It was very funny. God must have needed a big laugh so he called Don Knotts to give it to him. He will be missed.

I would love to see No Time For Sargents. Great movie and I would also love to see the one where Don plays a dentest and he is a big coward. Saw it as a kid

and cannot remember the Title. It was very funny. God must have needed a big laugh so he called Don Knotts to give it to him. He will be missed.

For me, there are but a few TV Legends; Lucy Ricardo, Ralph Kramden/Ed Norton, & Barney Fife - so long Barn, we're gonna miss you.....