Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

A list of 50 greatest War-Films from www.imdb.com poll?

14 posts in this topic

I found quite a strange poll as noted above from: Internet Database or www.imdb.com (A poll of the all-time 50 finest all-around war-movies-I've only listed the final 10 from list) (*-Denotes OSCAR winner)

*1. "SCHINDLER'S LIST" (l993) (Magnificent; but I've always thought of this more as a drama?)

2. "Dr. Strangelove" (l964) (This was the strangest on it's list? Sure, It's one of the greatest comedies, but war?)

3. "The Pianist" (2002)

*4. "LAWRENCE OF ARABIA" (l962) (Don't know about others, but I rank this epic as either an Adventure of even a Biography)

5. "Paths of Glory" (l957) (Now this I'd easily rank)

6. "Apocalypse Now" (l979) (Also, as above title. One of the heavyweights!)

7. "Das Boot" (l982) (The ultimate submarine epic)

*8. "THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI" (l957) (Another one I personally agree with. Swept 7 OSCARS & strangely above "Paths," received not 1 nom. the same year?)

9. "The General" (l927) (Another ridiculous candidate; If we were picking the finest comedies again, certainly)

*l0th. "THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES" (l946) (As most on this site already know, this swept 7 ACADEMY AWARDS & It defeated: "It's a Wonderful Life?" A Great picture though.

I've personally always considered l978's superb "Coming Home," as the vietnam era's "BEST YRS.")

They left-out quite a few obviously? *"THE DEER HUNTER" (l978)/*PLATOON" (l986)/ "Battleground" & "l2 0'Clock High" both from '49! & I've always felt: "The Great Escape" (l963)-(Another one of OSCARS most disgusting omissions! One nom. for Editing? & personally, being also fact that: Steve McQueen-(l930-80) was also my childhood Hero as well. But, I've always ranked this epic in the top ten & That legendary score by *ELMER BERNSTEIN!!! AGAIN, even that was ignored by ACADEMY?)

Anyway, quite a bizarre list.

Spence, I agree with most of what you said but ,have to disagree about the "Sub" movies. I think "The Enemy Below" with Robert Mitchum and Kurt Jurgens edges out "Das Boot". Another strong contender is "Run Silent Run Deep" with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. Also, "Full Metal Jacket", The Red Badge of Courage","Sgt. York", "Guadalcanal Diary" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" should rank higher than most of the films listed in the top 10, which you correctly identify as not even qualifying for the catagory.

Hi Spencer, I Looked At Your Favorite War Films, And Noticed You Left Out The Best One. In My opinion The Great Escape Was The All Time Best. I Have Seen It, Would You Belive Over 200 Times And Sill I Would Watch It over and over again LOL. I Just Thought I'd Put In My 2 Cents. Sincerly, XXMASS

No "BattleGround" on that list? wow that's not even a list IMO. That was easily on that list and probably my favorite War film of all time, it was the fore-runner to "Hell is for Heros" and TV's excellent "Combat!" all of which were derived from creator Robert Pirosh's experiences as an infantry man in the ETO, including the Battle of the Bulge.

think merrills marauders was last one jeff chandler starred in because he injured his back in this movie. any replies on this and where can I get this movie

*Merrill's Marauders* was released in 1962. It was Jeff Chandler's last movie, having died in 1961 right after the movie was made. I saw it in 1962 at a drive-in with my parents & little sister -- my mother was a big Jeff Chandler fan and [had] to see it.

Only years later did I realize that it was a Sam Fuller film, so I am anxiously awaiting someone to release it on DVD. About all I remember is that I saw it. If it is half as good as *The Steel Helmet* , *Fixed Bayonets!* and *The Big Red One* , then it qualifies as great in my book.

thank you for your response to my merrills marauders. Father in =law was one of the non commisioned officers involved in that campaign. Funny that he never told any one in family about his involvement. It was one hell of a fight to hold the japanese from overtaking the island. My wife has letters from Ike and president Truman for his bravery at that time. Never a word from him...My brother was killed in the battle of the bulge. 101st airborne paratrooper who parchuted beyond the german borders. Had second brother in same training exercise who broke both legs and could not jump in that campaign or would have lost him too, maybe. thanks again and am also looking for movie about both campaigns. dbig555

MERRILL'S MARAUDERS, is to be released on DVD on November 6. This is an exclusive from DDD and Critics Choice Video.

so stoked about Merrill's Marauders being released on DVD.

I actually have a new copy of the steel helmet on VHS that I seen for sale on amazon for 50 bucks!!

A great documentary on Sam Fuller is called "The Typewriter, The Rifle and the Movie camera"

maybe someday TCM can play this title. It is an excellent documentary on Sam Fuller.

Sam Fuller is one of my heroes.

I love all his movies.

[kimpunkrock] -- My copy of *Merrill's Marauders* is on its way. *Fixed Bayonets* and the set of Fuller's first three movies are on my Christmas list. Hope my family loves me.